PDA

View Full Version : About to get Wilson K Five. 98

elation
09-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I've been using 110sq-in racquet for last 15 years... well maybe playing once a year or less b/w now and then, and recently started playing more often.

I think it's time to switch. Actually got a new string (NXT 16g) this spring for that racquet and the frame is caved in. The string also has some broken fibers and it will probably snap sometime soon.

Can you recommend me a string for an intimidate player?
Anybody against the racquet selection? Should I get 108 instead of 98?

I feel current 110 is little too big.
Can't really Demo any because I live in Canada.

elation
09-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Now I am thinking Dunlop Aerogel 200. It's on sale for about $90 at a local tennis shop.

Wilson k Five looked great until I saw it was 8 Head Heavy. My current racquet is also head heavy and I think I prefer head light.

Can anyone tell the ratio by this picture? I have no idea what these mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/elation/P1010090.jpg

It's caved in and that's what I am playing with now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/elation/P1010091.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/elation/P1010092.jpg

elation
09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Halp!!

My thread needs some love please

autumn_leaf
09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
i'm currently in a trade with a fellow board member for the kfive 98. i'm coming down from a 12.8 oz frame since i was dilusional believing i could handle it. it's a big step down in weight.

if you're concerned about the head heavy aspect you can always counter balance using tape inside the trap door ( i believe it has one).

the racquets should arrive monday and post a review about it by the end of the week. I tried looking up the kfive but found very little talk of it. I went with the 98 since i have trouble serving with OS racquets. it just doesn't fly through the air right for me, it just wobbles.

The AG200 is a fairly popular racquet, you shouldn't have trouble finding the information on this forum.

autumn_leaf
09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
well i played with the kfive yesterday. played a pro set and lost 6-8, took a while to get used to the racquet.

there is a lot of power in this racquet. controlling it means putting a good amount of spin on the ball, once that was acomplished it was a pretty good hit.

for some reason my 2hbh didn't feel quite right with it. also i downside with the power is on serve. this is probably also the fact that it is quite head heavy. i found most of my serves going long bout 6 inches to a foot.

last night i added 1.3 grams of electric tape inside of the handle. this changed the weight of course, but not by much. instead of 8 pts hh it is currently ~3pts hh. i'm hoping this will make it better on serves. it definitely feels more manuverable now.

also the sweetspot on this this isn't that huge but it's good enough. the downside is that anywhere besides the sweetspot feels fairly stiff, though it's still a very comfortable hit when hitting off center. it feels stiff off center but it didn't get my arm a jarring feels like my other racquets did.

elation
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the review.

I found a place that had demos and got,

Wilson K Five
Dunlop Aerogel 200
Wilson KBlade Team
Babolat Pure Drive Cortex

And... fell in love with the Babolat and ordered it right after playing with it.

KFive, I hit it too long, serve was harder. but excellent backhand
Dunlop was too head light for me. Couldn't hit backhands but nice serves.
Kblade.... didn't like it that much.

Babolat gave me everything I wanted and felt nice holding it. :)

autumn_leaf
09-19-2009, 08:22 PM
that's good to hear that you found a place to demo and made a decision, i probably would've played with it a bit more.

the added weight to the kfive made a pretty big difference in the serve for me, for the better.

the backhand with the racquet is my only problem.