PDA

View Full Version : How could this be???

smhapp1
09-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi All

About 6 months ago I began playing regularly after almost a 20 year hiatus. I'm now playing about 4 hours a week with a head airflow rated S5. This racquet has been a great way to get back into the sport. As my strokes have opened up, I feel I need to move to more of a midrange racquet.

I've tried a bunch of Prince's O3 speedports rated 1100 or 1000 but haven't seen much of a difference. Then I tried a demo O3 hybrid hornet MP rated as a 900. It felt a little heavy in my hands. But oh my, the shots were so great. Much more powerful serves. Totally changed the way I play with crisp low shots.

So here is my question: How can this type of racquet work for me? I would have expected more out of the mid-range ones especially the racquets that are rated higher as the hornet is less expensive and obviously geared to a longer stroke. The hornet is also shorter at 100 cm vs 110 or 105. How am i playing better with a smaller sweet spot?

Sorry for all the questions, but I can't figure out why this racquet works so well in my hands.

Thanks!

S

javierjavier
09-11-2009, 02:44 PM
i'm not familiar with the prince rating system, but i'm assuming they are lighter. i think you're seeing the benefit of the extra weight.

prjacobs
09-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Sometimes, the power ratings don't really bear out. My first Prince racquet was a Precision Graphite. It had a power rating of only 640, but the person who recommended it and sold it to me, Roman Prokes, told me to disregard the number. I'll pass along the same advice.... Congratulations!

furyoku_tennis
09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
it's not really important how they rated the power levels. what's important is that you're playing well with it. end of story.