PDA

View Full Version : Classic feel racquets better for flatter strokes?

shogun90
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Hello,

Do more classical style racquets (i.e. K90, PB10, Prestige Pro) lend more towards players that swing flatter?

dozu
09-11-2009, 04:57 PM
it's more of a function of string pattern. flat bombs demand that the frame/string provide more accuracy, hence stable racket + 18x20 string pattern should do the job well.

tennisdad65
09-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Any racquet that is low powered is ok for flatter strokes. That generally includes most classic racquets of the past, and especially flexible classic racquets.

example: Dunlop max 200g allowed mac to hit flat forehands/backhands with great control. These days with the stiffer powerfull racquets, you have to use some topspin for control.

Aces09
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
The prestige family are all great for flat shots, the K88 is also phenomenal for flat shots. :)

Conquistador
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
What about racquets such as the dunlop aerogel 500 tour- that racquet is hard to put spin on it even though its a modern 110 sq inch frame.

darthpwner
09-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Well the classic feel rackets tend to feel heavy and have hard leather grips so that reinforces the idea of locking your wrist. Unless you have incredibly sound technique, it will be hard to flick your wrist for topspin with a thin beam frame

Power Player
09-11-2009, 06:23 PM
. Unless you have incredibly sound technique, it will be hard to flick your wrist for topspin with a thin beam frame

False. I hit with heavy topspin and a 19mm beam. Not that hard.

Conquistador
09-11-2009, 06:25 PM
False. I hit with heavy topspin and a 19mm beam. Not that hard.

Its all in the technique. Look aT federer--he can do anything he wants to as far as shot making goes.

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Well the classic feel rackets tend to feel heavy and have hard leather grips so that reinforces the idea of locking your wrist. Unless you have incredibly sound technique, it will be hard to flick your wrist for topspin with a thin beam frame

Rubbish.. I am able to hit about 4 different backhands with my thin beam frame, including the flick backhand..

Topspin, Slice, Flat, and Flick..

In fact the bigger the headsize, thicker and stiffer the frame. The less you are able to do in my opinion..