PDA

View Full Version : the Volkl Tour 10 Gen 1 Mid club :)

dozu
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Isn't this the best racket ever? Heavenly when strung with gut... gives you the confidence to hit a ball on the dime.. can drill deep heavy flat bombs all day, but also allow enough spin to produce angles.

How many do you have? what kind of set up?

Let me start -

Have 6 of them and should be set for life (1 of them has been my primary for the past 5 years, and is fading away :)

gut at 56lbs on the mains, nylon at 56lbs on the crosses (just to keep the gut power in check)

leaded up to about 12.8 oz.

Ross K
09-11-2009, 10:13 PM
dozu, others,

I recall a lot of 'respect' for the Tour10 mid around here and am wondering specifically how it compares to the DNX 10 mid - a frame I've only recently got my hands on but have been wowed by its b-line performance.

BTW, if ppl aren't familiar with the DNX 10 mid, I'd also be interested to hear how ppl think the Tour 10 Gen 1 mid compares to the BB11 mid, PB 10 mid or C10 Pro.

Cheers

R.

jayserinos99
09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I remember this frame. Very solid and good plowthrough yet fairly easy to get around. I had a couple when I also had the Tour 10 Gen 1 MP. I wish I had kept them.

dozu
09-12-2009, 06:08 AM
the DNX10 mid looks like an identical frame except for the different string pattern... that is definitely the no.1 item on my next-to-try list.

dParis
09-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Isn't this the best racket ever?
Probably.
Heavenly when strung with gut... gives you the confidence to hit a ball on the dime.. can drill deep heavy flat bombs all day, but also allow enough spin to produce angles.
I love how versatile the racquet is. Very good to great from all areas of the court and responds well to every type of stroke - flat forehand, topspin drive, WW forehand, reverse forehand, slice, volleys, short hop pick-ups - you name it.

How many do you have? what kind of set up?
Unfortunately, I have only one - and I almost let that one go earlier this year :confused:. I always liked the racquet, but after playing with it this year and demoing other racquets, I realized how much I like it and how it grows on me as my game (modestly) improves. I would consider another racquet if I found something the same as the t10 only slightly firmer and lighter. As far as I know, this racquet doesn't exist.

I changed out the pallets on mine from 1/2 to 3/8 and that helped mitigate the minor weight/maneuverability issue I had with the racquet. Currently I have it strung with Gosen OG 17g. Before that it was Alpha Gut 2000 16g, both at 56lbs. I was happy with both of them; imagine if I sprung for some nice string! I think I'll try natural gut on the next stinging. Any suggestions besides the obvious (like Babolat VS)? I'm not into the hybrid thing - especially on the t10. I'm concerned that it might sacrifice the incredible consistency of the stringbed. I'd imagine with nat gut, I would string it high 50s low 60s, right?

While I worry about the condition of these discontinued racquets, I'm willing to pick up another one. If anyone is looking to move theirs, let me know.

dozu
09-12-2009, 08:45 AM
with this stick you gotta try gut at least once :)

I have strips of lead around 3&9 oclock.... use gut at 56-57lbs at mains, and nylon at crosses.... I also so a slightly proportional stringing, so the last 3 strings on the 2 sides, and top/bottom are dropped to 53lbs, this basically make the entire 93 in2 a big sweet spot.

because of the consistency of the frame, and long dwell time and the 'power on demand' from the gut, it truely feels like you can change your target while having the ball on the stringbed :)

up till last year I was using the Bab Tonics, but I couldn't stand their price hike... so switching to Klip, and lately have got some Global gut.

Ged
09-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Are we talking about this racquet?
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6480/sg100083ec5.jpg

dozu
09-12-2009, 11:55 AM

yup - looks like yours are in great condition!

witit
09-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I changed out the pallets on mine from 1/2 to 3/8 and that helped mitigate the minor weight/maneuverability issue I had with the racquet.

Where can I get the 3/8 pallets? I would like the change mine from 1/2 to 3/8 as well.

Great racquet indeed. I just love the soft Volkl feel. I messed around with the K90 but it is killing my elbow. Went back to the Tour 10 Mid and the pain goes away.

Ged
09-12-2009, 01:14 PM
yup - looks like yours are in great condition!
Actually, those are not mine... however I do own two and they are in great condition. :)

Yes it's a great racquet. Just recently I was thinking of buying a new racquet (to replace my Head Microgel Extreme Pro), and finally bought a Dunlop 4d200 (16x19). Can't say that I like it for now (probably due to strings, racquet feels like a board).
A week later my father in law decided that he can't play with his new volkls (too heavy for him) and gave them to me... now poor dunlop is waiting in the bag while those yellow/black beauties go out and hammer the ball. ;)

Don S
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Sign me up :) I have two. Really is one of the best frames ever made. I use Gosen Micro 17 @ 56lbs. Volleys like a dream and the 18x20 string pattern is just right since I tend to hit pretty flat.

dParis
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I also so a slightly proportional stringing, so the last 3 strings on the 2 sides, and top/bottom are dropped to 53lbs, this basically make the entire 93 in2 a big sweet spot.

Crap. I just realized this is the Mid club, not the Mid+.:oops: Hurries for the door... I'm sure the mids are great also...
Where can I get the 3/8 pallets? I would like the change mine from 1/2 to 3/8 as well.
Another member of the forum here suggested Your Advantage, a local tennis shop in Chicago. I took mine there and they did a great job.

Ross K
09-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Sign me up :) I have two. Really is one of the best frames ever made. I use Gosen Micro 17 @ 56lbs. Volleys like a dream and the 18x20 string pattern is just right since I tend to hit pretty flat.

18x20? :confused:

If this is right, then perhaps the Tour 10 mid might not suit me so well as I usually prefer open string patterns - though there are exceptions.

R.

ps60
09-13-2009, 02:28 AM
i've got 2 of them too.

One is very sweet since its bumper was heavily scratched by the 1st hand user. The other, also 2nd/3rd hand, is much less head light (and the pallet changed by the seller seems to have made it a little longer than my first one)

it's almost too heavy for me (when i am not very fit). OG sheep at 58lb i just couldn't find the groove. PSGD at 58lb seems easier to handle, but 57lb maybe better. No $$$ for the gut, i bet it must be very sweet on this small head tight pattern stick.

Lately find them 2 heavy, so just play with my 27" Diablo and a cut-short, weigh-up 20~24mm thick Prince stick. Both around 330g.

BTW, what should the T-10 mid weigh in stock form ?? Thanks a lot if anyone can advice.

RobFL
09-13-2009, 06:50 AM
I have a Mid and a MP. A fine and unique frame, but on a fast court I gave the edge to the C10 Pro Tour, which i have 2 of. Now playing 100% on clay, so I had to go to a K 6.1 95 for a little more ball penetration on the slower surface, over the Volkls. But I'd also say i played my best doubles ever (maybe 5.0 level dubs a few years ago) with the various T10s and would play the Gen1 Mid currently in Dubs, if i switched frames for singles and dubs.

GoodSamaritan
10-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Anybody still using theirs? I just picked one up last month and after tons of customizing I think I've got the setup right. Great all court frame and such feel :)

TennisMD
02-06-2013, 05:01 PM

As I recall 2 head sizes 93 and 98 can"t tell from pic what head size looks 98ish to me. If that is the rkt we are talking about great stick, an old member of the brds ,but I believe a volkl rep, really touted this rkt more than other volkl frames (the 98) was his rkt of choice and was a teaching pro believe a 5.5. I have and still use this frame great comfort nice sweet spot a good all around rkt, somewhat low powered. This power thing always confuses me and I rely more on science at TWU rather than comments by players, TWU takes the variability out of the equation. For instance when this discussed rkt was hot many many comment all stating mod power but more than C 10 now read Chris's(TW play tester) states C 10 very powerful so go figure. If talking about 93 most thought that severly underpowered

tball
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
dozu, others,

I recall a lot of 'respect' for the Tour10 mid around here and am wondering specifically how it compares to the DNX 10 mid - a frame I've only recently got my hands on but have been wowed by its b-line performance.

BTW, if ppl aren't familiar with the DNX 10 mid, I'd also be interested to hear how ppl think the Tour 10 Gen 1 mid compares to the BB11 mid, PB 10 mid or C10 Pro.

Cheers

R.

DNX 10 Mid is a better racquet: it is both more powerful and more precise at the same time. It also generates considerably more spin (which is very visible on serve). I would say that the only spot is might be worse is volleys, but a clear win in every other category.

C10 Pro feels much nicer, has a better power, better dropshots, better volleys. Not as precise as both of the above. Serve is weaker (no power or precision or spin).

With PB10 Mid, I hit only for a day, so my knowledge of it is limited. I remember I found no significant improvements over DNX 10 Mid, other than the feel. That was not enough reason for me to switch.