PDA

View Full Version : Really, really silly question

Will12
09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello :) I recently purchased a Prince Rebel ExO and it came with a nice black/green grip. I bought an overgrip and now I'm wondering if my new overgrip simply goes over the current grip (like it always has) or do I take my current grip off. How do I know my current grip isn't an overgrip? Answers would be awesome thanks!

tennisguyak
09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Well I guess if its a thinner grip its an overgrip, but it usually wouldn't come in an individual pack, rather a multiple pack of 3 or more. If it has an adhesive on the back its a replacement grip and you have to take off the green black grip, but you shouldn't do that since its new and should play very nicely for some time to come.

Will12
09-11-2009, 05:37 PM
it came on the raquet when i bought it. It feels rather thick.

tennisguyak
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
it came on the raquet when i bought it. It feels rather thick.

So do you want to put another grip over it or no?

Will12
09-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm wondering if what I have already is an overgrip, and if overgrips are meant to go over my regular grip

daddioX2
09-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Did you buy the racquet new or used?

Most likely its a regular grip. Even if its an overgrip, you can put another one on top if you want to. This depends on your hand size and the grip size and how it feels for you. Its an individual's preference.

Also you should be able to tell just by how its wrapped unless its a replacement grip put on by a total amateur. Take a picture and post it, I'm sure someone can tell you.

canadave
09-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes, as far as I can recall, the the normal grip on the Rebel is indeed black/green, so it's probably not an overgrip--just the regular grip.

A "grip" (or "regular grip" or "replacement grip") is the material that comes on the handle of every racquet. If you buy a racquet from the store, it has a grip wrapped onto the plastic handle of the racquet already.

An overgrip is another grip (usually thinner) that normally is wrapped on top of your existing racquet grip. One reason people use an overgrip is to prevent damaging the original grip that came with the racquet (when your overgrip wears out, it's easier and cheaper to replace it than to replace the original grip). Another reason might be to build up the size of the grip.

That's the normal way things are done. However, there's no law saying you can't put two overgrips on top of a regular grip, or just have an overgrip and no regular grip on a racquet handle, or whatever. It's totally up to you. Some people do those things.

nethawkwenatchee
09-11-2009, 07:18 PM
I liked canadave's answer, and I agree. You would be wise to put a thin overgrip over you're new grip that came on the frame if you are interested in preserving the life of the original grip, or if you like the feel of a particular overgrip (tourna-grip...dry, wilson pro overgrip...tacky, ETC)

Some folks like the feel of a certain overgrip wrapped directly over the pallet (handle). They do this to gain a certain feel and possibly gain a mental edge because they are able to "feel" the ball bite off of the strings better, move the handle better for positional grip changes, ETC.

Some people, myself included, enjoy the feel of a leather grip with a thin overgrip.

What you are describing may be the first of many adjustments that you may find benificial in order to attain the most optimal balance of you're frames "feel". These adjustments may change as you're game developes and you may look to continue to fine tune.

Good Luck!

fuzz nation
09-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Not a silly question, btw.

It used to be easy with these things because "replacement grips" were pretty much leather and anything meant to go on top of them, like a Tournagrip, was easy enough to identify. These days, lots of these synthetic replacement grips that go right against the foundation of the frame are much more similar to the thinner overgrips that are available to us and there's a lot more variety among them.

If you're not too familiar with the differences in overgrips, you might want to try a couple over time because they come in mildly different thicknesses, have different levels of tackiness and absorbency (sp?), and when you find your favorite feel, that can be a confidence booster... or at least more comfortable. Oh, and the different colors - we can't forget those!