PDA

View Full Version : So I've got a situation here and need everyone's help.

myalterego
09-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I work on Monday 5PM-9PM, the days of the men's final as of right now. Obviously, I don't want to work, and no one else who works with me can take my shift. What can I tell my boss so I watch the men's final in peace?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I just started this job about two weeks ago.

pabletion
09-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Tell him the truth: you want to watch the tennis match so you cant come to work.

He'll understand...............................

Nah, he wont. Dude, just tape the game, you've just started, its a job, its life.

myalterego
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
It's a part-time job; I'm still in high school.

atatu
09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Six words: I think I've got swine flu...

TheShaun
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I work on Monday 5PM-9PM, the days of the men's final as of right now. Obviously, I don't want to work, and no one else who works with me can take my shift. What can I tell my boss so I watch the men's final in peace?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I just started this job about two weeks ago.

It's a part-time job; I'm still in high school.

Good to see you've began your working career with the right mindset. :rolleyes:

r2473
09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
What would Johnny Paycheck say?

ubermeyer
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
...get TiVo

myalterego
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Well, considering that this is part-time and I'm in high school, I don't feel an overwhelming responsibility to my job; I do the work but I don't feel like I owe my employers anything.

I don't have TiVo.

After going to the Open twice this year, I really feel a much larger attachment to it more than anything else in my life right now. Missing a potential Federer-Nadal final is simply unacceptable.

Feņa14
09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Well, considering that this is part-time and I'm in high school, I don't feel an overwhelming responsibility to my job; I do the work but I don't feel like I owe my employers anything.

I don't have TiVo.

After going to the Open twice this year, I really feel a much larger attachment to it more than anything else in my life right now. Missing a potential Federer-Nadal final is simply unacceptable.

My feeling is towards a Federer v del Potro final, would you still not want to miss it if that were the case?

Noveson
09-11-2009, 05:58 PM

I don't have TiVo.

Hah wow man. You need to get over it. No one here is going to tell you it is okay to do it so I wouldn't look for any help.

myalterego
09-11-2009, 06:02 PM
My feeling is towards a Federer v del Potro final, would you still not want to miss it if that were the case?

I'd still like to see it because although I don't like Del Potro, he has grown into quite a good player.

Hah wow man. You need to get over it. No one here is going to tell you it is okay to do it so I wouldn't look for any help.

I'm not looking for you to tell me "it is okay to do it," rather, I need help on getting towards my goal, which is, in this case, watching the men's final live, and not being the subject of preachings about work ethic.

atatu
09-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I was serious, I mean it is possible that you've got the swine flue, so you should play it safe...

myalterego
09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I mean, my boss knows I like tennis, so any excuse I give would surely create suspicion. Swine flu won't work, despite being in a very germ-filled environment.

pabletion
09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
ok, dont care about work?
Two ways:

1. Lie about it, say youve got somethin else.

2. Quit. You can always get another part time job.

myalterego
09-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I might try to see if anyone else will let me take their shift.

I eventually feel as if I am going to quit soon, but I don't want to give that impression yet if I am not fully committed to my decision.

mtommer
09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
ok, dont care about work?
Two ways:

1. Lie about it, say youve got somethin else.

2. Quit. You can always get another part time job.

Pab's right. These are your two options.

BTW OP, I do understand your sentiments. There are two trains of thought regarding employment. The employer is doing you a favor by employing you or you are doing the employer a favor by providing your services to them. As you said, you're in high school and you have no responsibilities that force you to put up with work you don't want to do. If it were me I would ask the employer for the time off, tell them why and if they don't agree I would wait until Monday and quit. The downside of course is that you lose any potential reference from the job.

myalterego
09-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Pab's right. These are your two options.

BTW OP, I do understand your sentiments. There are two trains of thought regarding employment. The employer is doing you a favor by employing you or you are doing the employer a favor by providing your services to them. As you said, you're in high school and you have no responsibilities that force you to put up with work you don't want to do. If it were me I would ask the employer for the time off, tell them why and if they don't agree I would wait until Monday and quit. The downside of course is that you lose any potential reference from the job.

Not really interested in references or anything at this moment. Being in my senior year and all, plus the fact that I really don't need money (I'm not rich or anything, I just don't buy much of anything besides tennis balls, really), makes this job a burden with colleges apps and SATs/ACTs/etc. I'll call tomorrow. It's just I'd kind of feel bad quitting because the people that work there are pretty cool and some of them are my friends, but I don't want to put up with a job I don't think I'd want for much longer.

Thanks!

Fedace
09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Ask USTA to postpone the Final til Tuesday.

BreakPoint
09-11-2009, 09:44 PM
..... I don't feel an overwhelming responsibility to my job; I do the work but I don't feel like I owe my employers anything.
Wow, it's no wonder all the jobs have gone to China.

mtommer
09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow, it's no wonder all the jobs have gone to China.

No. It's the difference between working for a paycheck and wanting to work at what you're doing. Many, I'd almost be willing to wager most, people work for paychecks. They don't like their job. They don't care about their job. They don't work for a living, they work to make a living.

Deuce
09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I work on Monday 5PM-9PM, the days of the men's final as of right now. Obviously, I don't want to work, and no one else who works with me can take my shift.
^ Why, exactly, should it be "obvious" to us that you don't walk to work?
Does something in your username give it away?

No. It's the difference between working for a paycheck and wanting to work at what you're doing. Many, I'd almost be willing to wager most, people work for paychecks. They don't like their job. They don't care about their job. They don't work for a living, they work to make a living.
^ True.
Sounds like a pretty screwed up system to me...

nfor304
09-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Quit.

Tennis is more important than real life.

Don't sell out to the man.

:-)

nfor304
09-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe if this rain continues for the next couple of days the match will be pushed back anyway

David_Is_Right
09-12-2009, 04:21 PM
^ Why, exactly, should it be "obvious" to us that you don't walk to work?

He said "want" not "walk".

Anyway, nobody cares when part-timers from school pull a sicky. It's expected. Just ring in with a medical excuse...

Ocean Gypsy
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM

I have a question for you: how did you get the dough to go the Open? Working? Mom, Dad?

Glad to see you've got your priorities straight. Ask if you can have the night off. If you can't, go do your job, man.

Deuce
09-12-2009, 08:59 PM
He said "want" not "walk".
^ Indeed, he did.
Strange that I saw "walk" - and I 'saw' it very distinctly. I must've been tired.

As for it being obvious that he doesn't WANT to work... yeah, I guess that's more understandable.

myalterego
09-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Told them I couldn't make it, but I'm assuming they know I missed it for tennis. Oh well, it was well worth it.

myalterego
09-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I have a question for you: how did you get the dough to go the Open? Working? Mom, Dad?

Glad to see you've got your priorities straight. Ask if you can have the night off. If you can't, go do your job, man.

My mom paid, yeah. I don't know what you want me to say; I didn't realize that spending a day out with my mom is such a bad thing.

sureshs
09-15-2009, 11:56 AM

1. That is life for most people. There aren't enough interesting and paying jobs to go around, and never were. Most work exists to fulfil someone's desire for a product or a service, that is all.
2. Sometimes you don't know what you will like till you have actually worked at it.