PDA

View Full Version : Prokennex 5g dead spot

film1
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Can someone tell me if they feel there is a dead spot on the prokennex 5g as I have read at times and if so does it also exist on the ki5g and the ki7g?

Hit with an older 5g today and sounded funny (kind of like a cracked frame)
when I hit high in the face but it sounded fine when hit in the sweet spot.
It hit pretty good, lacked power on the serve but over all I feel there is a lot to like when you have arm issues.

flatball
09-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Can someone tell me if they feel there is a dead spot on the prokennex 5g as I have read at times and if so does it also exist on the ki5g and the ki7g?

Hit with an older 5g today and sounded funny (kind of like a cracked frame)
when I hit high in the face but it sounded fine when hit in the sweet spot.
It hit pretty good, lacked power on the serve but over all I feel there is a lot to like when you have arm issues.

Film one
Use your palm of your hand and hit the string from the throat to head if you hear a dead thud your Kinetic material has probably shifted.
I had this happen years ago,returned it to TW who sent it to Kennex who repaired it. I also had the same thing happen on my K15 and it was replaced who I bought it from,as it was only three months old.
Hope this helps.
Gil

schenkelini
09-12-2009, 03:36 PM
It definitely sounds like something is wrong. A 5g in good condition will not sound like this.

Don S
09-12-2009, 08:28 PM
The 5G has a history of being dead in the upper part of the hoop. Lots of us put Lead tape at around 10 &2 on our 5Gs to help that out. I've never had any experiences with this racquet lacking power when I serve, but I am 6"4" so I guess YMMV.

ps60
09-14-2009, 08:44 AM
mine cracked many yrs ago the 5G Pro. it didn't last for 2 yrs. Actually many racket sound dead at the tip, so does 5G pro. I just added 5g of lead around the tip area. It was a wonderful racket before it died.

Tennis Dunce
09-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Of course you'll want to keep that headlight balance by adding weight to the handle, either lead, adding a leather grip and overgrip, pennies...etc.

I thought this was the greatest racquet without adding the weight at 10 & 2. After adding the weight, I am positive it is the greatest racquet ever. Especially with Ashaway Crossfire 2 @ 50#.:)

Although I'm rediscovering my cache of Aerogels and nBlades, the PK5g affords me the opportunity of practicing my serve, for hours on end, without a throbbing elbow. The kinetic technology is just icing on the cake.