PDA

View Full Version : One Handed Backhand Racquet

Pure Babs
09-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I might be switching to a one handed backhand pretty soon. I was wondering those of you with one handed backhands, are there especially good racquets for one handers, or it does it really not matter?

RoddickAce
09-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure of what racquets are especially good for 1-handers, but I think the more flexible it is, the better it is for a 1 handed backhand.

Supracool94
09-12-2009, 07:16 AM
I would think a smaller head is better for one-handed backhands, like anything 98 sq inches or smaller.

Pure Babs
09-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I would think a smaller head is better for one-handed backhands, like anything 98 sq inches or smaller.

I noticed that too. I had good luck with the Kblade Tour... but my pure drives don't work too well

beckham
09-12-2009, 07:18 AM
I hit both a one and two handed backhand, and prefer a Aerogel 300. I've added a lot of lead tape to make it heavier to increase the swing weight and "plow through". IMO for a one handed backhand, I don't believe the racquet matters to much, but I would lean on a heavier racquet with more mass for increased racquet acceleration and drive through the ball.

skyzoo
09-12-2009, 07:28 AM
K(90). I don't have a one hander except when i'm using that racquet. The racquet will change your style of play though. beware

steve728
09-12-2009, 07:33 AM
K(90). I don't have a one hander except when i'm using that racquet. The racquet will change your style of play though. beware

Totally agree. One-handed topspin and slice backhands are incredible with this racquet --- has both the "plow through" weight and the smaller head.

Automatix
09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I might be switching to a one handed backhand pretty soon. I was wondering those of you with one handed backhands, are there especially good racquets for one handers, or it does it really not matter?

Headsize: 98 or less
Length: 27 inches

A small headed standard length racquet makes playing a 1hbh easier. That of course doesn't mean it's impossible with let's say 28 inch frames... it's just more difficult.

Some examples...
Henin - 27,5 inch frame, 95 sq. inch with head heavy balance.
Federer - 27 inch frame, 90 sq. inch with head light balance.
O. Rochus - 28 inch frame, 95 sq. inch with head light balance.
Blake - 27 inch frame, 97 sq. inch with head light balance.
Haas - 27 inch frame, 630cm2 with head light balance.
Mauresmo - 27 inch frame, 98 sq. inch with head light balance.

Dgpsx7
09-12-2009, 07:55 AM
K90, Kps88

skyzoo
09-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Totally agree. One-handed topspin and slice backhands are incredible with this racquet --- has both the "plow through" weight and the smaller head.
Yup. I wonder what january will hold for us with the new models......

Ljubicic for number1
09-12-2009, 03:22 PM
RDX 500 mid
Exo3 Rebel
FXP Prestige

lobolouie
09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
If you are just switching over to a 1hbh, then i would stick to rackets with these specs:

-27 inch length
-At least 62 stiffness
-Swing Weight 300-320 (need some mass to block, but not too much so that you can't get the racket head around on time).
-18x20 pattern: you will be hitting more flat balls in the beginning and this pattern is beneficial in control of those shots.
-Head light balance, at least 5 points. The heavier you go, the more HL you want the racket.

Dave M
09-13-2009, 03:17 AM
I used to use a pure drive and have always played on handed.I think i find the aegel 100 easier but ont buy a new racket first, see if you have a good enough 1hbh to justify switching, then see if you can play ell with what you have.

steve728
09-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Yup. I wonder what january will hold for us with the new models......

I hope something very similar to the K90 but just a bit lighter stock. By the time I put on OG, rubberband dampener, and a "heavier" string setup (like natural gut or a NG/poly hybrid), my K90 can balloon to the the 12.7 - 12.8 oz range.

prjacobs
09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I think that a thin frame allows you to close the face of the racquet more and that will help in generating topspin. Personally, I prefer an open pattern for all of my strokes.

Court Valkyrie
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I have a guy at the tennis center where I play who is a legit 4.0-4.5, and hits a one handed backhand and uses a 120 square inch head. The Wilson Ncode N1. And no, he's not a pusher, he rips the cover off the ball on all strokes, and hits the sickest drop volleys ever. So racquet has no bearing on your strokes, learn the technique to hit the shot better. I hit the one hander, and PREFER a very stiff racquet.

Conquistador
09-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Prince TT Warrior. With that spin and that comfort it rivals anything. Kontrol is everything.

paulorenzo
09-14-2009, 08:49 PM

never thought of that until now, but you're right. faster headspeed on every stroke is essential.

backhand is solid on the k90, and one can do alot with it, regarding variety, hitting from an awkward position, and/or coming up with dipping passes in the clutch, but the kps88 has more plow through, and is more solid.

seanyw
09-15-2009, 09:02 AM
how about Pb10mid?
is it good for 1hbh?

In D Zone
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Its all about the technique.

You'll have to demo some racquet to find out what's good for you. Each player varies on racquet preference. Some like heavier frame while others prefer lighter but head heavy frames. Just too much intangibles to consider.

Another factor is how strong and comfortable are you - can you play with a 12oz or above frame even over an hour of hitting?

JRstriker12
09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I hit both a one and two handed backhand, and prefer a Aerogel 300. I've added a lot of lead tape to make it heavier to increase the swing weight and "plow through". IMO for a one handed backhand, I don't believe the racquet matters to much, but I would lean on a heavier racquet with more mass for increased racquet acceleration and drive through the ball.

Agreed - more technique than racket.

I play with a Pure Drive Roddick and it works fine with my one-hander.

I would try to find something with a little bit of weight with it though, as that extra mass can help your get through the ball.

I wouldn't limit yourself to 98 or under - and 100+ sq inch racket works just fine and may give you a more margin for error.

JRstriker12
09-15-2009, 09:18 AM

Question -

What do you play with now and why switch to a one hander?

rostro
09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I will suggest Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour or Head Microgel Prestige...These are similer rackets and very good for one handed backhand...If you want more power you can go with a 16-19 pattern similar rackets...

palmerop
09-22-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm going to revive this thread. I'm a 3.5, I play a 1hbh and I would like some demo recommendations please. I'd like something a bit more stable but still manuvabrle. Any suggestions are welcome!

Roger Wawrinka
09-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Head prestige pro.

MikeHitsHard93
09-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I really had a lot of fun hitting one handed backhands with a x10 mid. The prestige mp was another.

Weaverpsu
09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Switched to a 1hbh this year and kept same racquet. Thinking of buying another now that my backhand is finally getting consistent. I don't think it is necessary to buy a new racquet before you begin process.

mad dog1
09-22-2013, 09:40 PM
for the 1hbh, the pro staff 85 is just amazing.

anirut
09-23-2013, 12:17 AM
If you want just "satisfaction from playing" (results out of discussion): the smaller the head the better.

In today's term, that's anything 90 sq.in or less.

BTW, Volkl's and Becker's 93 sq.in head sizes included.

Squidward
09-23-2013, 12:26 AM
As a 1HBH player, I've been using the Head Radical pro with good results. Plenty of depth and spin with this stick.

Tennisguy777
09-23-2013, 05:21 AM
I will suggest Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour or Head Microgel Prestige...These are similer rackets and very good for one handed backhand...If you want more power you can go with a 16-19 pattern similar rackets...

The Aerogel 4D 300 tour is a great racquet but without lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock it is not so great. The prestige is awesome.

Lavs
09-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Why nobody mentioned C10 Pro?
90% of pros who used to use it are OHBH players (Mac, Dent, Dancevic, etc)

palmerop
09-23-2013, 06:41 AM
All these recommended frames seem to be above my skill level (3.5), at least according to what's written in TW's reviews... BTW I am not switching to a OHBH, I've always had a OHBH as they didn't teach two-handed backhands back in the days in my small province town in Italy... unfortunately.

JackB1
09-23-2013, 07:04 AM
I used to think this, but its nonsense really. You can hit a one hander with any racquet. Plus, you are going to hit 75% forehands anyway, so why get a racquet that won't benefit what you hit most. I would stick with whatever works best for your complete game: serve, forehand, backhand, everything. I had a guy on our doubles team that used a Prince Blue 110" head racquet and he ripped 1 handers like nobody's business.

Get the technique down and get a racquet for your entire game...not one stroke. JMO.

palmerop
09-23-2013, 07:12 AM
I used to think this, but its nonsense really. You can hit a one hander with any racquet. Plus, you are going to hit 75% forehands anyway, so why get a racquet that won't benefit what you hit most. I would stick with whatever works best for your complete game: serve, forehand, backhand, everything. I had a guy on our doubles team that used a Prince Blue 110" head racquet and he ripped 1 handers like nobody's business.

Get the technique down and get a racquet for your entire game...not one stroke. JMO.

Thanks, appreciated!

palmerop
09-23-2013, 07:49 AM

The reason why I asked this question is that my bh is my weakest shot and getting that better would improve my overall game...

JRstriker12
09-23-2013, 08:42 AM
The reason why I asked this question is that my bh is my weakest shot and getting that better would improve my overall game...

IHMO - practice would probably do more good than a new stick, unless your stick is just totally unsuitable for your game.

Another thing to consider is that in general most players have a weaker wing and you need to form a strategy about how to work around this. For example, my forehand will always be my go-to shot. My backhand has improved but there's no way it will be better or as good as my forehand, so I worked to become as consistent as possible off the backhand side and look to set up points to hit mostly forehands.

As far as rackets go, I find most sticks with a mostly headlight balance and the most static weight you are comfortable handling will do the job - I recently play tested the most recent Babolat APD, Babolat Pure Storm, Dunlop Biomimetic 400 and Tour 400, Head Radical, Pure Drive Roddick+ and they would all do the job for the most part. But I found myself going back to my old trusty Prestiges.

drak
09-23-2013, 08:54 AM
My opinion is that grip size is an important consideration in a one-hander as opposed to a two hander. IMO the trend to smaller grip sizes makes hitting one-handers more difficult for those who go that route. I think a larger grip within the range of what one can use is beneficial for a better one-hander, just my opinion.

JackB1
09-23-2013, 09:00 AM

as long as it's not at the expense of your serve, forehand and the rest of your game.

But I don't really see how a different racquet will drastically improve a weak backhand? Maybe you can mess with strings/tension to give more power, if that's what you need. But ask yourself is this really just an "excuse" to get a new racquet? Been there, done that :)

also, totally agree with what JRStriker just said.....

JRstriker12
09-23-2013, 09:04 AM
My opinion is that grip size is an important consideration in a one-hander as opposed to a two hander. IMO the trend to smaller grip sizes makes hitting one-handers more difficult for those who go that route. I think a larger grip within the range of what one can use is beneficial for a better one-hander, just my opinion.

I have to agree. I use a 4 5/8 grip.

palmerop
09-23-2013, 09:34 AM
as long as it's not at the expense of your serve, forehand and the rest of your game.

But I don't really see how a different racquet will drastically improve a weak backhand? Maybe you can mess with strings/tension to give more power, if that's what you need. But ask yourself is this really just an "excuse" to get a new racquet? Been there, done that :)

also, totally agree with what JRStriker just said.....

eh eh yep that element is there...

Vlad_C
09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
And while we're talking about grips, let's not forget grip shape.
I for one cannot hit 1HBHs with the retail Head grip shape.
Wilson and Prince work much better.

drak
09-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I have to agree. I use a 4 5/8 grip.

yeah, I have been using a 4 5/16 - 4 3/8 grip for the past several years but always felt my one hander was inconsistent. The past few weeks have built the grip to almost 4 1/2 and both my backhand and volleys are improved, hardest adjustment is the FH.

Drak

spinovic
09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Head size, nor grip shape has ever been a factor for me hitting a one-handed backhand.

JRstriker12
09-23-2013, 12:37 PM
yeah, I have been using a 4 5/16 - 4 3/8 grip for the past several years but always felt my one hander was inconsistent. The past few weeks have built the grip to almost 4 1/2 and both my backhand and volleys are improved, hardest adjustment is the FH.

Drak

I've just always used a big grip. Not really a factor on the forehand for me.

xeros
09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
For me it feel better with APDGT2013!! Before i play with prestige mp and pure storm tour..

MikeHitsHard93
09-23-2013, 01:55 PM
And while we're talking about grips, let's not forget grip shape.
I for one cannot hit 1HBHs with the retail Head grip shape.
Wilson and Prince work much better.

I'm the exact opposite. When I used a 1hbh, I really never hit it better than with a prestige mp and a volkl x10 mid. Super fun and no one uses one hand around here...

LeeD
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Since I been using 1hbh since 1989, any Babolat, Wilson, Head, Dunlop, Technfiber, Kneissl, I use 1hbh on the backhand side.
None better than any other, I have terrible days, and sometimes I have good days hitting 1hbh, racket makes NO difference.

MikeHitsHard93
09-23-2013, 02:10 PM
I can't hit one handed backhands with a tweener to save my life...lol.

LeeD
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
I haven't been able to hit a 2hbh since 1979. No matter how often I practice, and with whatever racket.

Boredsurfer
09-23-2013, 04:35 PM
For me, grip shape, an "even balance" but with a little weight/plow make all the difference. Too head heavy and my set-up is sluggish - too headlight and it makes for a less penetrating shot.

Funnily, I hit my best OHBH with Yonex frames. Just magic for me. I taught Stan the Man everything he knows :)

BHBeguile
09-23-2013, 05:39 PM
I've always used a OHBH, and I've been ripping it since I switched to a wilson 6.1 team, leaded. The frame CAN get pushed around a little, but it's so easy to get the racquet around in time to hit a really nice topspin BH. Went from a 98" Pacific X-force (also a very nice frame) to this one, which is 95" and a bit stiffer. I think both aspects make a difference.

acura9927
09-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Prefer Dunlop oval like on the Bio 300s for 1hbh, round heads like Bab or Donnay just did not work.

praetorean
09-23-2013, 06:20 PM

I used to play w/ a 2-hander on the left wing, until my knees starting to hurt... & made the switch to a 1-hander for flexibility.

My 2 cents on this, is that wide body & oversize frames would make it hard to make the switch. Head heavy frames could also make it hard (but it depends on you). You might want to consider balanced or head light sticks w/ beams @ 22mm or lower.

I play w/ a Head YT Prestige & before that, a Wilson Prostaff Classic 7.0... I have always played with a midsized head light stick and started playing w/ a 1-hander when I was 13 (but I couldn't hit it well coz I was skinnier w/ weak wrist & upper body). Now that I am stronger than I was, plus w/ the knee being a factor; I've gone back to the 1-hander :) it's easier now also since I also found out when kept me from hitting it well before. hehehehe

asekaran
09-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I feel like if you set up properly and on time for the one hander, weight of the racquet isn't really an issue.

I preferred a larger headsize racquet for more forgiveness on that wing, since it was my weaker side. I don't really understand why a smaller headsize would make the OHBH easier to hit - I used to swing a POGOS.

Anyway, I'm probably going against most in the thread, but I probably hit the best OH'ers with even balanced, lighter "tweener" racquets - Volkl V1, PK Q5 295, etc.

Then again, if your backhand is your weakest shot, I'd work on the shot first and the frame later...

BreakPoint
09-23-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't really understand why a smaller headsize would make the OHBH easier to hit - I used to swing a POGOS.

Because a smaller head allows you to take a huge backswing and really rip the ball with high racquet head speed without worrying about your big headed racquet getting in your way. Smaller heads are just more maneuverable than bigger heads - ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. That's just the law of the physical world. That's why I hit my best 1HBHs with smaller heads, like the PS 6.0 85 or Tour 90s.

KenC
09-23-2013, 10:24 PM
as long as it's not at the expense of your serve, forehand and the rest of your game...

Someone gets the big picture here.

mawashi
09-23-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a one hand backhand racquet.

Sampras played around with a Pure storm tour, Francesca Schiavone uses a APD, Hass uses a head midplus like a PT630 or a PT57A.

Just find something that has a fairly large grip that you can swing comfortably with and practice.

ilovetennis212
09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I've Been using wilson blx six.one 95 18x20 with leather grip. Its weight is 360grams
It's great stick with good control.
But arm gets tired of playing over 3hours.
I'm about to switch to head prestige pro since it got so many recommend and good feedbacks.
It comes with leather grip so I can play with 14grams lighter racquet.
A lot of people say you have better result with low 50 tension on prestige pro. 50-54

palmerop
09-26-2013, 08:05 AM
I've tried the Volkl 7 295 g and it's already a bit better for my OHBH, btw.

DonDiego
09-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I went from a stiff, 95 racquet to my good old Prince graphite Pro 110 and my 1H backhand... improved.

The bigger head helps me with topspin, more net clearance, and less shanks. I also realized that I prefer a flexy racquet (My Prince is 49).

Other than that, I believe you're better off with 4 pts HL or more, and relatively heavy. The Youtek Rad Pro with overgrip or lead in the grip worked really well too.

JRstriker12
09-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I've Been using wilson blx six.one 95 18x20 with leather grip. Its weight is 360grams
It's great stick with good control.
But arm gets tired of playing over 3hours.
I'm about to switch to head prestige pro since it got so many recommend and good feedbacks.
It comes with leather grip so I can play with 14grams lighter racquet.
A lot of people say you have better result with low 50 tension on prestige pro. 50-54

My fav set-up on my MG Prestige Pro is Tour Bite at 50lbs. Butter!!!!

Fintft
09-26-2013, 12:31 PM
If you are just switching over to a 1hbh, then i would stick to rackets with these specs:

-27 inch length
-At least 62 stiffness
-Swing Weight 300-320 (need some mass to block, but not too much so that you can't get the racket head around on time).
-18x20 pattern: you will be hitting more flat balls in the beginning and this pattern is beneficial in control of those shots.
-Head light balance, at least 5 points. The heavier you go, the more HL you want the racket.

Hence Six.One 95 BLX or Amplifeel for example :)