PDA

View Full Version : USC vs OSU

Mdubb23
09-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Which and why?

mtommer
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Right now I say USC because the Big Ten has yet to truly adopt speed over brawn offense. While some of the players themselves may be fast, the playbooks aren't built around this ala West Coast Offense. Pitarno's more recent success is a result of changing his gameplan somewhat. Tressel needs to and will if the school emphasizes national championships over Big Ten Conference titles. Will they? I doubt it. U of M and OSU, the big boys of the Big Ten, are staunchent adherents to tradition. Personally, I like this better than worrying about national championships but this is in contrast to the overall college football scene. In the past several years, if Ohio State had to play most of the top 25 teams outside of the Big Ten they would lose. Still, it's truth it is hard to say because OSU has the potential to be good (remember it's the playbook, not the players that is not competitive).

Ronaldo
09-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Remember, it is THE Ohio State University!!!

tricky
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
tOSU is just too slow for SC. It may be close through the first half, since Market is a true freshman. But, Pryor is going to get killed against the SC defense.

U of M and OSU, the big boys of the Big Ten, are staunchent adherents to tradition.

If Rodriguez is able to build the program he wants at Michigan, they'll be one of the fastest offenses in the country. And, hopefully, that'll force tOSU and the rest of the Big-10 to move toward speed-oriented defenses a la the SEC or spread-style attacks like the Big-12. In other words, it'll force the Big-10 to evolve with the rest of the country.

mtommer
09-12-2009, 09:56 PM
If Rodriguez is able to build the program he wants at Michigan, they'll be one of the fastest offenses in the country. And, hopefully, that'll force tOSU and the rest of the Big-10 to move toward speed-oriented defenses a la the SEC or spread-style attacks like the Big-12. In other words, it'll force the Big-10 to evolve with the rest of the country.

True. The interesting thing right now is that Rodriguez is butting heads against some of the traditional ways of doing things. He has to have success in order to have a chance at not being dragged into the internal arguments between the traditionalists and those who want more. If he can do that he will be able to "quietly" win and those traditionalists will eventually probably retire or be forced to move on from the University (most likely unfairly and done so using bs politics).

dy3versity
09-12-2009, 11:17 PM
USC for the win! It was very close though. USC's last drive was amazing considering the rest of the game.

tricky
09-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Tressell really, really ,really needs to hire an OC. Somebody else to call plays. I let last year (i.e. the bowl game) go, but now I don't think he knows how to use Terrell Pryor properly. Game management was bad too.

USC's last drive was amazing considering the rest of the game.

SC's last drive was terrific, but I really question the wisdom of starting a true freshman now. It clearly looked like they were limiting the playbook to run-run-run in order to compensate for starting a true freshman QB. He wasn't very effective for 3 quarters out there.

As for Michigan, look neither Notre Dame nor Michigan can play defense for crap. But it was clear that RR"s strategy of tanking the first season in order to install his system head-first has worked. Michigan's run and zone blocking schemes were terrific, and Tate Forcier may become an even better spread-run-option QB than White was for RR.

hollywood9826
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Forcier may be good. But hes not the athlete Pat was was. But Mich recruits better guys so it wouldnt surprise me to see his numbers be really good.

Dedans Penthouse
09-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Great game. I have never been a USC fan (albeit a huge admirer of their white-sweater/skirt-wearing cheerleaders), but that last drive of their was absolutely heroic--what grit, character and determination they showed there at the end...repeatedly getting the needed 1st down on a 4th-and-1, this when everybody in "The Shoe" knew the Men of Troy were going on a quarteback sneak. It was football at its purest: "OSU, we're going THERE....try and stop us." Inside the OSU 10 when USC was again faced with a 4th-and-1 and got the 1st down on yet another QB-sneak, what was telling was that they gained TWO yards, 1 more than their previous efforts. Great seal block on the winning score around right end. AND: props to UCLA winning on the road vs. Tennessee. Bruin QB showed some serious "stones" getting hammered (broken jaw); great win by Rick Neuheisel & Co. as well. Pac-10 showed some muscle this weekend. No offense to OSU, I just don't want them to run the table in the Big-10 only to come up lame in the BCS title game against a quicker S.E.C. team. I want a "sexier" matchup with maybe (e.g.) Texas or USC playing Florida.

The "theater" was great beginning with the bandleader leading the Sousaphone player into position to "dot" the 'i' in 'Ohio' before the game and ending with what was a hard fought, very tense game in an electrically-charged setting. Great stuff.

Misc. college notes: for all the "opening day" routs that some schools have by opening their schedules with "Cupcake State," there have also been a slew of college games that have all gone down to the wire. ND-Michigan got press only because they're two storied programs. The fact is that game was poorly played by a pair of paper tigers.

That said, great effort by both USC and OSU.