PDA

View Full Version : ITA rankings

tenniskillz
09-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Based on the first set of pre-season rankings posted on 9/4/09 .... why are there freshmen ranked already? how is it possible for them to have a ranking when they haven't competed in any college competitions, particularly the doubles. I saw Jarmere Jenkins, JT Sundling, and Matt Kandath in the doubles rankings and Artem Ilushin in the singles rankings.. how is this possible??

Lindsay
09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Based on the first set of pre-season rankings posted on 9/4/09 .... why are there freshmen ranked already? how is it possible for them to have a ranking when they haven't competed in any college competitions, particularly the doubles. I saw Jarmere Jenkins, JT Sundling, and Matt Kandath in the doubles rankings and Artem Ilushin in the singles rankings.. how is this possible??

Its a guess. Preseason rankings aren't worth much to begin with. You never know what state of mind a player shows up with on the first day, even if they played the previous year. I think Artem will make a push into the singles rankings, as I saw him play quite a bit this summer and is playing very well. The others I'm sure will also have success. Just don't pay attention to exact #s at this point. A guy from Georgia or Stanford or Florida may be ranked in the top 20. All that means is he is projected to be there later. He may rise to 10, he may fall to 50. Its an estimated guess.