PDA

View Full Version : customization question

iscottius
09-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I have heard a lot about silicone in the handle. what silicone do you use and how do you do it?

the reason I am asking is I am thinking about getting a LM rad for $69.00

putting silicone in the handle and Cap grommets on it to bring it somewhere around 12 oz and hopefully a bit more headlight.

will his work? how much weight would the silicone add? how much weight will the cap grommets add?

what would be the estimated specs on this racquet?

TheLama
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I have heard a lot about silicone in the handle. what silicone do you use and how do you do it?

the reason I am asking is I am thinking about getting a LM rad for $69.00

putting silicone in the handle and Cap grommets on it to bring it somewhere around 12 oz and hopefully a bit more headlight.

will his work? how much weight would the silicone add? how much weight will the cap grommets add?

JUST BUY ANY TUBE OF SILICONE FROM A HARDWARE STORE, BECAUSE ANY RECOMMENDED SILICONE GEL MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE WHERE YOU LIVE. THEN, JUST POUR IT ON ANY STIFF PIECE OF PAPER LIKE AN INDEX CARD, AND PLACE ON A GRAM SCALE--DON'T FORGET THE WEIGHT OF THE CARD. KEEP ADDING UNTIL YOU GET YOUR REQUIRED WEIGHT. THEN, USE THE CARD TO TROWEL THE SILICONE INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE FRAME'S HOLLOW AREA ONCE YOU REMOVE THE BUTT CAP.

TheLama
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
JUST BUY ANY TUBE OF SILICONE FROM A HARDWARE STORE, BECAUSE ANY RECOMMENDED SILICONE GEL MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE WHERE YOU LIVE. THEN, JUST POUR IT ON ANY STIFF PIECE OF PAPER LIKE AN INDEX CARD, AND PLACE ON A GRAM SCALE--DON'T FORGET THE WEIGHT OF THE CARD. KEEP ADDING UNTIL YOU GET YOUR REQUIRED WEIGHT. THEN, USE THE CARD TO TROWEL THE SILICONE INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE FRAME'S HOLLOW AREA ONCE YOU REMOVE THE BUTT CAP.

ALSO....REPLACE THE BUTT CAP AND STORE THE RACQUET RESTING ON THE BUTT UNTIL THE SILICONE CURES THE NEXT DAY. STAPLE BUTT CAP BACK ONTO THE FRAME, AND YOUR GOOD TO RE-GRIP AND PLAY.

LPShanet
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I
how much weight would the silicone add?

At the risk of stating the obvious, that depends on how much silicone you add, and of which type. The final specs will depend on that, as well as how/where you add the silicone.

star 5 15
09-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Just use lead tape or fishing weights like what TW has on there little how to customize thing on TW university. I talked to Ron Yu about silicon in the handle making any difference in vibration, playability, evening being noticeable. He said its a myth. I can vouch for it too. All mine sticks have silcon in the handle. and if youn dont know who ron yu is. He is the fellow who travels the world with federer, djokovic, murray, safin, monfils, wawrinka, hewitt, baghdatis stringing and customizng for them. Not to mention the 50 or so other proffesional clients him and Nate customize for. He is pretty much the racquet guru of all racquet gurus.

Kick Serve 14
09-15-2009, 01:15 PM
so would adding silicon to the handle change where the sweetspot on the racket would be and if so how much?

LPShanet
09-15-2009, 01:25 PM
so would adding silicon to the handle change where the sweetspot on the racket would be and if so how much?

The prevailing wisdom is that it might move the sweet spot down slightly, as with any added weight below the balance point.

star 5 15
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Silicon will not make any difference at all as far as overall feel goes. I recomend just using lead tape wrapped around the pallot right above the buttcap. It will be a lot easier than dealing with silicon.

Steve Huff
09-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know about silicon, but I use rubber cement, and it certainly deadens the feel some. If you know how much weight you want to add, get some postal scales and a medicine cup. Take the butt cap off, stuff cotton really tight into the handle (I went about 2" deep). Then, I poured the rubber cement into the medicine cup, weighed it, then into the handle. Most handles are divided in halves, so make sure you get the cotton tight enough on both sides that the cement doesn't drip through.