PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive (GT)--One Handed Backhand????

rostro
09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
:confused: Hi everybody....Is there anyone who has one handed-bachkand and use babolat pure drive or pure drive gt?......Is it useful?

I have an apdc, I like it but it is very difficult to make flat shots in one-handed backhand (it is ok but I want to have more winner) so I am looking for a new racquet? Is pure drive useful for that? Can you help me?

movdqa
09-12-2009, 02:06 PM
On of my complaints with the Pure Drive Roddick was on hitting backhands. I just prefer heavier racquets with smaller heads for my backhand. There are folks that hit OHBHs with the PDR and say that it is fine. I can hit a heavy topspin off my backhand side when but not off of all shots.

Prostaffer
09-12-2009, 06:02 PM
i had a roddick pdc.

one handed backhand. hot sauce!

Court Valkyrie
09-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Aero Storm Tour...I have it...I love it...I hit the one hander and it seems to get through the court in a hurry, and the weight and stability make it alot of fun to use. The last three sets of strings I broke were driving a big one hander cross court. I broke 3 mains of Luxilon ALU power hitting the backhand.

PrinceMoron
09-13-2009, 01:57 AM
:confused: Hi everybody....Is there anyone who has one handed-bachkand and use babolat pure drive or pure drive gt?......Is it useful?

I have an apdc, I like it but it is very difficult to make flat shots in one-handed backhand (it is ok but I want to have more winner) so I am looking for a new racquet? Is pure drive useful for that? Can you help me?

Roddick GT is so headlight you can hit all kinds of angles, and you get lots of lift on the ball, so you can just flick it past people. I don't need to bother beating guys with pace when they come to the net.

You can take serves really late on the backhand, when they have pretty much gone past you, and just loop the ball down the line.

Good too for slice with a lot of sidespin.

And all your usual shots are there too.

Have fun.

LanEvo
09-13-2009, 12:58 PM
my Aerostorms are all 1HBH ready racquets, but im working on the 1HBH, i cant seem to find a consistent grip to stick with so im working on mine, but other than that its nice for bhs, its just my skills

WSC
09-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I just bought the Roddick Drive (very similar I've heard) and immediately noticed that my one-handed backhand was much "easier" with this racquet...it just "glides" across the net. And yeah, love the slice...so far, am thrilled !

coyfish
09-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I didn't like the roddick. It was just too powerful. Im not saying higher level players don't use the racquet but there is a reason why its among the most popular racquet among junior kids.

On my backhand I had a hard time keeping it in even with spin. I did admit i did like slicing with the racket. On my 1 hander I really hit through it. I think this racket is better for lower level players or those with shorter swings.

KenC
09-26-2009, 09:54 PM
I have the PDGT and hit a 1HBH and am able to really rip with a lot of acceleration. When I first demo'ed the PDGT I thought it was a little light and didn't have the oomph of a 350g racquet, but then I found that i get much faster acceleration through the ball which then produces the same power in the end. I also string on the lighter side with 55 lbs and this helps a little for power and stability on the 1HBH.

Bottle Rocket
09-26-2009, 10:04 PM

This guy thought it was useful-->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGmapfY3Ms8

rostro
09-28-2009, 04:06 AM
This guy switched his racket, he is using Head MicroGEL Extreme Pro 2009 now....

dgoran
09-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Ljubicic switched (because he had few million reasons to $witch if you know what I mean, ;) he would never $witch otherwise) and his results tanked lol, undeniable proof of Babolat performance. Same thing happened to Feliciano López.

That being said I know what you mean about strange feeling on the backhand side, I thought about it for a while. I get the same feeling with AeroPro Drive. The conclusion I came to is the throat of the racket is the culprit and for some reason elongated throat. Rackets ala Prestige classic 600 or pro tour 630 are better for me to execute one hander.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_JCQDreq94LI/Sru3EF44IrI/AAAAAAAAAxA/PqwiF1e8F7Y/s912/CIMG1016.JPG

Strangely going to Pure Drive actually provided sort of a compromise between k6.1 90/ pro tour 630/ prestige mold throat and my backhand felt better with it than apdc. My backhand with babolats has more variety than with Head/Wilson rackets, although gone is that feeling of flat plow through of Pro Tour 630 for example but I see that my opponents struggle more with the variety than with pure pace and power

With Pure Drive style racket one definitely needs to learn to live with the compromises BUT there is undeniable performance and results that the one who stick with it enjoys.

May I ask which racket did you learn to play on/ what racket were u using before pure drive?

rostro
09-28-2009, 05:45 AM
My first racket was an old head racket...It was writing constant beam and carbon on it...Then I bought an apdc, and now I am using apdc...

dgoran
09-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Ok That is why you are having this issue. My first was also a head briefly than a Pro Staff 85 all whom have that elongated throat area so that it feels that the head of the racket if further away. I know exactly what you are going through.

You will get use to it and maybe try more spin on your backhand not too flat ala gasquet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUQxb4ZtR-4&feature=related

BTW demo Pure Drive for sure...The throat area is different and it definitely "reminds" of elongated racket. I like Pure Drive better for one hander than my APDC

BHud
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I mainly slice and short hop/drive my one-handed backhand and the PD Roddick GT works great. Whenever I hit topspin it seems to be alright as well, but I can't say that I use this shot as frequently as I do the other 2.

I'm fine with it!

xFullCourtTenniSx
09-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Never really had a chance to use this racket, but I wouldn't be surprised if it played better than the APDC on one handed backhands. The APDC supports spin.

I played with the APDC multiple times, and have been thoroughly dissapointed in how it performed for me aside from being able to hit nasty spin serves (the kicker especially). I hit a one handed backhand, and a very mild forehand. Though I can hit with plenty of spin, I like to really hit through my strokes, and the APDC doesn't help too much there. If anything it feels sluggish and the lack of weight makes it feel even worse. (Not to mention the "hollow feel" Babolat rackets are known for.)

Personally, I'd switch to a heavier racket if I want a bigger backhand. The Pure Drive has a lot of what I consider empty power (basically a massive trampoline effect), but I think you'd need a lot of spin to control that. Heavy rackets rely on your ability to swing the ball real quickly, so you can go all out and even generate a bigger shot. Any racket over 12 ounces should work fine.

Of course, if your form is off, switching rackets will only do so much. And to hit a winner with any racket, you need that shot to naturally be a big shot anyways. Why not try to use your backhand as a set up shot to give you more forehands or to open up the court, THEN go for a big backhand into the open court? Works just as well as switching to a better racket and improves your overall game as well!

dgoran
09-29-2009, 05:16 AM
Yeah I agree with the poster above and it reminded me to mention that I ALWAYS add about 5-10 gr of lead at 12 oclock depending on string weight and quality control of the Babolat in hand so you get that swing-weight that one needs for onehander. It also as a plus gets rid of the hollow feel somewhat that some are referring to when talking about babolat feel.

JRstriker12
09-29-2009, 06:19 AM
I have a one handed backhand and play with a PDR. I get good spin and good pace, but you don't have the plow-through of a heavier stick with the PDR in stock form.

IMHO - the APD is too light in general and too light for a one hander. Most people I know with the APD def add some lead to that stick and play with 2hbh.