PDA

View Full Version : A300 slips out of hand easier to old racquet?

JavierLW
09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Recently I switched from the KProOpen to the A300.

One thing I noticed right away is the flare on the buttcap is a lot different (not as exaggerated on the Dunlop, so I tryed to duplicate that by double wraping the replacement grip just in the butt area. Width wise it turned out to be about the same as on the Wilson. (both are L4)

Im using the same grips. A [K]ontrol Replacement grip with a Orange Pro soft Overgrip.

Also with various lead tape modifications, both sets of racquets weight 11.3oz and have a 5pt HL balance. (I measured using a postal scale and a version of my own balance board)

Anyways, I do sweat a ton, but recently Ive been noticing that Ive been having the A300 fly out of my hands easily when I try not to grip them too tightly. It's really weird but that's never happened to me with the KProOpen. And this is both on the serve and the forehand. (I use a eastern grip forehand with a semi-open stance, and I sort of try to whip the racquet thru the ball)

Any theorys as to why a racquet might be more liable to fly out of someone's hands then another? (maybe it's due to using different technique?, I do notice that I seem to be able to swing harder with the A300 and it has a lower deflection angle so it's easier to hit flat)

shell
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Recently I switched from the KProOpen to the A300.

One thing I noticed right away is the flare on the buttcap is a lot different (not as exaggerated on the Dunlop, so I tryed to duplicate that by double wraping the replacement grip just in the butt area. Width wise it turned out to be about the same as on the Wilson. (both are L4)

Im using the same grips. A [K]ontrol Replacement grip with a Orange Pro soft Overgrip.

Also with various lead tape modifications, both sets of racquets weight 11.3oz and have a 5pt HL balance. (I measured using a postal scale and a version of my own balance board)

Anyways, I do sweat a ton, but recently Ive been noticing that Ive been having the A300 fly out of my hands easily when I try not to grip them too tightly. It's really weird but that's never happened to me with the KProOpen. And this is both on the serve and the forehand. (I use a eastern grip forehand with a semi-open stance, and I sort of try to whip the racquet thru the ball)

Any theorys as to why a racquet might be more liable to fly out of someone's hands then another? (maybe it's due to using different technique?, I do notice that I seem to be able to swing harder with the A300 and it has a lower deflection angle so it's easier to hit flat)

I would still think it is the non-flared butt cap of Dunlops. Dunlop grips just don't give you much to work with on the end if your grip lands there. Wilson grips are very different. There is no other reason I can think of, and I use Dunlop and Wilson racquets, without this problem. The AG 300 is not a powerful racquet, so it could be you are swinging out more. But then neither is the Pro Open. Dun know, other than those thoughts.

JavierLW
09-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I would still think it is the non-flared butt cap of Dunlops. Dunlop grips just don't give you much to work with on the end if your grip lands there. Wilson grips are very different. There is no other reason I can think of, and I use Dunlop and Wilson racquets, without this problem. The AG 300 is not a powerful racquet, so it could be you are swinging out more. But then neither is the Pro Open. Dun know, other than those thoughts.

Thanks!

I should mention as well, I have the 16x19 version.

I do think that the slightly tighter string pattern and thin beam/low stiffness does contribute to a bit less power on the A300's then the KProOpen's.

JavierLW
09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a new theory behind this.

I noticed when I bought the racquet that it had really stiff strings in it that seemed to be strung really tight. (Head PPS SG 16)

On my stiffer Wilson racquets I would of really hated this, but on the A300's it didnt seem so much of a big deal.

Yet when I got them restrung, I went with the same strings and at the same tension.

Perhaps on a more flexible racquet it's better to string tighter?

Because I notice that whenever I overgrip the racquet the ball seems to fly way out. So maybe Im just gripping it a lot looser because of that....

(or you could say with the Wilson's I get away with doing things like overgripping the racquet)