PDA

View Full Version : Worst Rackets EVER!

fogertyfan
09-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Lets compile a list of the worst, most gimmicky rackets ever that you've seen people using. I'll start off with everyones favorite dumb one:

TRIPLE THREAT RING!!!!!

What in the world was Prince thinking?

cadfael_tex
09-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Snauwert Ergonom!

smack that
09-12-2009, 03:38 PM
wood racet

Supracool94
09-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Prince mono = no stability!

Ripper014
09-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Any of the diagonal strung rackets... and the original Prince racket that Pam Shriver used. It took a lot of the skill out of the game when they first came out and allowed the pushers of the world to compete... well almost.

Ljubicic for number1
09-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Any of the diagonal strung rackets... and the original Prince racket that Pam Shriver used. It took a lot of the skill out of the game when they first came out and allowed the pushers of the world to compete... well almost.

They still can with today's racquets, the world number 2 is a pusher:)

domhas1
09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Snauwert Ergonom!

I just saw a pic of that today and was just like what the hell is that...

Heres the pic...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/domhas1/SnauwaertErgonomwtf.jpg

Tennis Man
09-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Snauwert Ergonom!

So, what is it you personally don't like about this racquet? Have you played with it to judge? :confused:

Capt. Willie
09-12-2009, 10:08 PM
wood racet

What is a "wood racet"? :confused:

Capt. Willie
09-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Prince mono = no stability!

The Prince RipStick was even worse. It was basically a Mono with a slightly larger head (104 sq. in. I think) and 29" long.

Capt. Willie
09-12-2009, 10:14 PM
the original Prince racket that Pam Shriver used. It took a lot of the skill out of the game

Without the invention of the Prince Classic, we wouldn't have today's racquets. It was an important evolutionary step.

Mdubb23
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Probably the LM Prestige MP.

Nanshiki
09-12-2009, 10:17 PM
The Cayman racquet with the totally circle face... then again that might have just been for a clock that I saw.

Also, every racquet they sell at Walmart is horrible.

That, and the Wilson Profile. The thing is like three inches wide on the side!!!

callen3615
09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
And head racquet ive ever hit. lol

dy3versity
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01013/tennis-double_1013269c.jpg

I think it is at least..

SFrazeur
09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Wilson nVison.

-SF

Capt. Willie
09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Gamma Big Bubba...I'm talking the c.1998 model that was 32" long, not the later one of the same name.

Ripper014
09-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Without the invention of the Prince Classic, we wouldn't have today's racquets. It was an important evolutionary step.

Actually we would still have evolved so how... maybe we would not have gone to oversized rackets... and I for one am not sure that would be a bad thing. I am ok with playing with less powerful rackets. I still enjoy tennis where you have to construct a point. With the game the way it is now you can rip a winner from the baseline if you want to take the risk it seems.

I would not be opposed to limiting racket head size to 85 sq/in and if need be back to 65 sq/in.

The game was better when there were distinct surfaces that played significantly different, not like the current game where everything has become a little sterile. The venues may look different but the games are looking the same. In the old days the baseliners had the advantage on the clay and the serve and volley players on grass. A bit of a push on the hard courts... but now it has become pretty generic... and it has become pretty much a power game from the baseline.

actionflies
09-13-2009, 01:14 AM
This was invented by a genius with severe crossed eyes.

I just saw a pic of that today and was just like what the hell is that...

Heres the pic...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/domhas1/SnauwaertErgonomwtf.jpg

GinoGinelli
09-13-2009, 03:41 AM
I like that, its almost like a piece of abstract art.

mawashi
09-13-2009, 03:58 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/domhas1/SnauwaertErgonomwtf.jpg[/QUOTE]

I like that, its almost like a piece of abstract art.

What was the reason behind the head shape, was there even one?

It's for pp who can't bend their knees LOL!

mawashi

equinox
09-13-2009, 06:24 AM
prince vortex

cadfael_tex
09-13-2009, 07:30 AM
So, what is it you personally don't like about this racquet? Have you played with it to judge? :confused:

Did play with it a brief time. Very unstable. The only racquet I couldn't volley with. Just had a weird unbalanced feel on everything but topspin forehands and backhands (and the BH took some adjustment).

dr325i
09-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Did play with it a brief time. Very unstable. The only racquet I couldn't volley with. Just had a weird unbalanced feel on everything but topspin forehands and backhands (and the BH took some adjustment).

I think this is where the problem is (emphasized above). THe racket is sooooo different from the ordinary one that "brief time" with it will definitely cause huge issues...

Tennis Man
09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I actually liked the Ergonom a lot. It's an old school racquet designed for the playing styles of its time. It's definitely can not compared to the worst racquets out there.

SuperFly
09-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Wal-mart rackets :mad:

jazar
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
my vote would go to the latest line of adidas rackets

Eiffel59
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM
my vote would go to the latest line of adidas rackets

Agree. 10 char.

Motherwasp
09-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Wilson Rollers

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/R66.JPG

Kick Serve 14
09-13-2009, 04:48 PM
power angle

roddickslammer
09-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Lets compile a list of the worst, most gimmicky rackets ever that you've seen people using. I'll start off with everyones favorite dumb one:

TRIPLE THREAT RING!!!!!

What in the world was Prince thinking?
I'll tell you whats the worst ever, your spelling of the word racquet!

fogertyfan
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Main Entry: 1rack·et
Variant(s): or rac·quet \ˈra-kət\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French raquette, ultimately from Medieval Latin rasceta wrist, carpus, modification of Arabic rusgh wrist
Date: circa 1520
1 : a lightweight implement that consists of a netting (as of nylon) stretched in a usually oval open frame with a handle attached and that is used for striking the ball or shuttlecock in various games (as tennis, racquets, or badminton

OWNED!

Nanshiki
09-13-2009, 05:42 PM
The "racket" spelling is for the ignorant... racquet only means racquet. Racket means several different things.

fogertyfan
09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I find it odd that you would call me ignorant on spelling/grammar while using incorrect sentence structure/grammar yourself. "..." is for ignorant people. Or for elitist white collared rich boys who can't stand the guy with the "ugly" RACKET playing their "sophisticated" game.

Motherwasp
09-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Racket is widely used throughout Europe, if you look at all the UK tennis websites almost all of them use the spelling racket. It's merely a cultural difference, similar to colour and color. To say it's ignorant is actually quite ironic as you are demonstrating extreme ignorance yourself by failing to take into consideration that words may be spelt differently in Europe, it's our language afterall.

Meaghan
09-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Racket is widely used throughout Europe, if you look at all the UK tennis websites almost all of them use the spelling racket. It's merely a cultural difference, similar to colour and color. To say it's ignorant is actually quite ironic as you are demonstrating extreme ignorance yourself by failing to take into consideration that words may be spelt differently in Europe, it's our language afterall.

Well said, completely agree.
It annoys me that these threads get blocked up by rediculous posts and petty quibbles about spelling and grammar etc etc.

As for the worst racket ever....er.....it has to be the Wilson K pro tour! Well maybe not ever, but its certainly the worst ive played with.

PimpMyGame
09-14-2009, 03:43 AM
I didn't think so at the time, but playing with my nBlade MP I have to say that's the worst racket I own. It's too flexy without the solid feel, the strings make it very boardy at tensions above 57, and as much as I've tried to add weight or change the balance to more HL it just gets worse and worse. Funny thing is, I used to love it but left it behind when I went for heavier, more HL rackets.

Il Mostro
09-14-2009, 07:35 AM

Even after playing fro a "brief" time, there is no way you can say the Ergonom is unstable. This is an incredibly stable racquet (it weighs in the neighborhood of 14-15 ounces) that simply needs a slight swing adjustment to play not only normally, but very well. It may not suit every particular taste or style, but *unstable*? No way. Decent hand-eye coordination is all it takes to zero in on serves and volleys as well.

slice bh compliment
09-14-2009, 07:40 AM
It annoys me that these threads get blocked up by rediculous posts and petty quibbles about spelling and grammar etc etc.

As for the worst racket ever....er.....it has to be the Wilson K pro tour! Well maybe not ever, but its certainly the worst ive played with.

Yeah, that's annoying. Ridiculously annoying. Almost as bad as ending sentences with prepositions.

Oh, and David Foster Wallace once wrote that the Wilson T-2000 was the single sh*ttiest piece of tennis equipment ever produced.

Kemitak
09-14-2009, 09:34 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01013/tennis-double_1013269c.jpg

I think it is at least..

Brian Battistone plays with one of those.

Meaghan
09-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, that's annoying. Ridiculously annoying. Almost as bad as ending sentences with prepositions.

Just as annoying as the poster who questioned the spelling of racket.

I'll take my prepositional phrase and leave this board forthwith. I undertand I have had my hand seriously slapped in the vocabulary department and with bow my head in shame.....

I have highlighted certain words to emphasise my superiority over other common posters!!!!

Il Mostro
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Brian Battistone plays with one of those.

Yeah, but those guys can *play*. They are regulars at West End. They will stomp the donkey $h!t out of the yobbos who brought up their racquet -- without even breaking a sweat.

cadfael_tex
09-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Even after playing fro a "brief" time, there is no way you can say the Ergonom is unstable. This is an incredibly stable racquet (it weighs in the neighborhood of 14-15 ounces) that simply needs a slight swing adjustment to play not only normally, but very well. It may not suit every particular taste or style, but *unstable*? No way. Decent hand-eye coordination is all it takes to zero in on serves and volleys as well.

Ok, ok, sorry - geesh. Just my memories of it. I think it was more perception than anything, the shape made me want to volley higher in the stringbed.

Funny thing is that I still have one. Got it very cheap a couple of years ago - new, never strung. Maybe I should string it up and give it another chance to see if I can seen it what you guys do.

Anybody have the specs on the original ergonom?

Mastadon_10S
09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Wilson Rollers

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/ProductImages/R66.JPG

I liked that racquet, of course I was about 12 when I hit with it...