PDA

View Full Version : What? Me, A Toe-Dragger?

Cindysphinx
09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I had no idea, but it appears I am a toe-dragger. I just looked at the soles of all of my shoes (two Barricade Vs in good shape, one fairly new Asics Gel Resolutions, and one Barricade V that I really should discard). All have a noticeable wear spot on the right inside toe. There is slight wear on the left inside toe.

What am I doing that is causing this, and is it possible to stop? (I hit a 2HBH and play primarily doubles). Are Barricades a good shoe for this problem?

I think I may have to ditch the Asics. I have not worn those shoes much at all, and they have as much toe wear as the old Barricades.

Boy, I'm not exactly burning up the court out there. I'm surprised to see I am burning up my shoes!

TheSubdude
09-12-2009, 07:04 PM
The right inside toe is a forehand drag. You're stepping into the ball with your left leg and dragging your right leg with you - under-rotating.

You'll add a some pop to your forehand if you turn your hips. That'll pick your right foot up. Your shoes will last longer but your opponents won't.

ringer
09-12-2009, 07:05 PM
My coach is a toe dragger and most of it is on the upper part of the shoe. She really burns them up - 1 pair every 3 months. Not much she can do. If yours is actually on the sole you might try to find the shoe with the most build up in that area where you wear the sole. I have a pair of Prince T-22 that have a lot of build up in the toe area. You might look at a pair of those.

Cindysphinx
09-13-2009, 08:36 PM
The right inside toe is a forehand drag. You're stepping into the ball with your left leg and dragging your right leg with you - under-rotating.

You'll add a some pop to your forehand if you turn your hips. That'll pick your right foot up. Your shoes will last longer but your opponents won't.

I rarely hit open stance. I hit mostly closed stance FH. Does the hip thing still apply?

Now I'm paying attention to this toe drag thing, and it doesn't seem to happen on really good shots or really bad ones. It just happens when it happens.

a-naik.1
09-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I rarely hit open stance. I hit mostly closed stance FH. Does the hip thing still apply?

Now I'm paying attention to this toe drag thing, and it doesn't seem to happen on really good shots or really bad ones. It just happens when it happens.

Yes, you do want to rotate your hips into the ball regardless if you are open or closed stanced. Almost like you are leading with your belly button and your shoulders are parallel to the baseline once you finish with the follow through.