PDA

View Full Version : I think that lineswoman was my teaching assistant when I was in school

LetFirstServe
09-13-2009, 02:08 PM
My TA looked exactly like her, maybe it is! I wonder if she completed her PhD but her dream was to became a line judge.

My overall mark in that course was a C when it could have been a B+.

I remember on one paper I got marks deducted for the stupidest structural things like my paragraph indents weren't enough spaces and improper characters to site footnotes. :confused: Who does that in university?

When the final paper was due in her office at 5pm and she was working away I handed it in at 5:04 (no exaggeration) and I got a late penalty! I guess rules are rules.

I don't know though, I'd rather have these types of people in academics than in sports. A few jobs in the real world are suitable, that line judge should have been a driving school instructor.

joeri888
09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I felt sad for this woman, even more so when you wrote "It was her dream to be a line judge". I'm very happy her dream came through and hope she isn't relegated or something after making one controversial decision.

Serena was a total ***** for acting like that against a pretty helpless older woman, she should learn to keep respect for people, even if they do make mistakes.

sureshs
09-14-2009, 10:23 AM
My TA looked exactly like her, maybe it is! I wonder if she completed her PhD but her dream was to became a line judge.

I remember on one paper I got marks deducted for the stupidest structural things like my paragraph indents weren't enough spaces and improper characters to site footnotes. :confused: Who does that in university?

When the final paper was due in her office at 5pm and she was working away I handed it in at 5:04 (no exaggeration) and I got a late penalty! I guess rules are rules.

I don't know though, I'd rather have these types of people in academics than in sports. A few jobs in the real world are suitable, that line judge should have been a driving school instructor.

I don't think she was your TA. Your TA was strict, but she did not err. This particular person was just wrong.

sacha_v
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
i don't feel sad for her, what she did was stupid. She shouldn't be a line judge. That said, what did Serena was wrong too.

vkartikv
09-14-2009, 10:59 AM

That's how college is, if you didn't know... And it's citing a reference, not 'site'.

Shangri La
09-14-2009, 11:12 AM
So she has a track record of being strict and sticking to the rules.

LPShanet
09-14-2009, 11:47 AM
It should be fairly easy to tell if it is the same person or not, as the linesperson's name has been made public.

bhallic24
09-14-2009, 11:53 AM

really? do you really rather have those type of people in academics? Cuz from what you just said seems like you contradicted yourself. Your grade dropped from a B+ to a C because of nitpickness in academics. You may wanna reconsider cuz if you keep having her as a professor/ta, you wouldn't be doing too hot sport.

joeri888
09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
i don't feel sad for her, what she did was stupid. She shouldn't be a line judge. That said, what did Serena was wrong too.

So, Federer shouldn't be a tennisplayer, because he made an error last night? Obama shouldn't be a president because he misspoke on national TV? Michael Jackson shouldn't have been a dancer because he got one move wrong once? Britney Spears shouldn't be a singer because she can't sing? Ivo karlovic should stop hitting big first serves, because he missed one the other day?

Everyone makes mistakes. We are human beings, and human beings try to forgive each other, and feel sorry if someone is done DISPROPORTIONAL harm for their mistakes.

jrs
09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Lol, very nice

LOL!! That's funny!

I think both Serena & Line Judge was wrong!

LetFirstServe
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
really? do you really rather have those type of people in academics? Cuz from what you just said seems like you contradicted yourself. Your grade dropped from a B+ to a C because of nitpickness in academics. You may wanna reconsider cuz if you keep having her as a professor/ta, you wouldn't be doing too hot sport.

Well of course, I graduated and those papers werent the end of the world since I still passed that course. Id rather her mark my papers than having a call that ends up being the decision in a grand slam semifinal.

To this day I only sit back and laugh at it as a story to tell some day and yesterday when I made a thread I had somewhat of a case to tell. Obviously anyone can distinguish its not the same thing.

bhallic24
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Well of course, I graduated and those papers werent the end of the world since I still passed that course. Id rather her mark my papers than having a call that ends up being the decision in a grand slam semifinal.

To this day I only sit back and laugh at it as a story to tell some day and yesterday when I made a thread I had somewhat of a case to tell. Obviously anyone can distinguish its not the same thing.

so is she really your ta? did you check the name? and match it up?

LetFirstServe
09-14-2009, 12:30 PM
so is she really your ta? did you check the name? and match it up?

I've googled the TA....I had to check back on old documents to see her name. Although I won't reveal my TA's name I can say that she has stuck in academics after attaning her PhD and is now an associate professor. So no she isn't the line judge and Im not going to dig deep and see if they are related.

As I think of it, besides stupid marking which she probably doesn't do much anymore, she was very good at teaching and helping the students understand concepts. Therefore I am happy for my old TA.