PDA

View Full Version : Are multi-purpose shoes ok for tennis too?

New Daddy
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I went to a nearly outlet and found many lines for multi-purpose shoes from Nike.
They looked good for tennis too.
How would these multi-purpose shoes do as tennis shoes?

OliverSimon
09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
They might not have the same ankle support that tennis shoes do. When I tried this I ended up with an ankle injury.

LPShanet
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I went to a nearly outlet and found many lines for multi-purpose shoes from Nike.
They looked good for tennis too.
How would these multi-purpose shoes do as tennis shoes?

Which models are you talking about? Please supply the names. Depending on which type of shoes they are (probably some kind of cross trainer), they may be okay, but in most cases you risk either lack of support or lack of durability if the shoe isn't made for tennis.

New Daddy
09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Which models are you talking about? Please supply the names. Depending on which type of shoes they are (probably some kind of cross trainer), they may be okay, but in most cases you risk either lack of support or lack of durability if the shoe isn't made for tennis.

It simply says "Nike Multi Purpose II".
Obviously these multi-purpose shoes have their own lineage.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Id say not just to be on the safe side.
Tennis shoes are shaped differently on purpose

mekkio
09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I used a pair of Nike cross trainers for a couple of weeks and wore through the sole. My new Barricades have a bomb-proof sole and are much more comfortable and durable - go for the tennis shoes!

film1
09-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Mac played in Nike cross trainers for a while

LPShanet
09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
It simply says "Nike Multi Purpose II".
Obviously these multi-purpose shoes have their own lineage.

I'm unaware of any shoe in Nike's line called "Multi Purpose II". Are you sure that's the correct name? Where did you see them? Even better, if you can post a pic, we may be able to help you.

ZhengJieisagoddess
09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
No. Tennis shoes are designed for side to side and sudden stop movement. Multi-purpose shoes are designed for heel to toe movement. Since foot injuries are the most common of tennis injuries, do yourself (and your feet and ankles) a favor and get a pair of dedicated tennis shoes.

peli_kan
09-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Get yourself a pair of proper tennis shoes, lest you end up spraining your ankle... then again... then again. I'm speaking from experience here, you need the proper ankle support and a good toe-drag if you want both your shoes and you making it through the day.

Grover Sparkman
09-29-2009, 04:36 AM
No. Tennis shoes are designed for side to side and sudden stop movement. Multi-purpose shoes are designed for heel to toe movement. Since foot injuries are the most common of tennis injuries, do yourself (and your feet and ankles) a favor and get a pair of dedicated tennis shoes.

I think you're thinking of running shoes. They're the ones designed for heel-toe movement.

Still, cross trainers probably aren't the best tennis shoes for you. But they're better than running shoes.

makinao
09-29-2009, 06:49 AM
The most comfortable shoes I've used for tennis in the past 5 years have been, surprisingly, New Balance 608 cross-trainers. They are nicely cushioned, stable, well-supported, and available in wide sizes. I had one 5 years ago and loved it to bits. I heard it was discontinued, then brought back due to "insistent public demand". So when by chance I saw it again at a mall today in my size, I bought it straight away.

The_Question
09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
If you're just a normal light rec player, I say it's fine.

dman72
09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
My Adidas Barrack II Cross trainers have much better ankle support than the higher priced Tirand III tennis shows which cost $20 more at the Adidas oulet. They don't have near the durability in the sole, though, especially at the toe.

Tennis shoes do not automatically have great ankle support. If you want great ankle support, you buy basketball sneakers..aren't most tennis shoes lows anyway? The only thing that matters is how they feel on the court. You'll know after a few games if your shoes are good for tennis or not.

A recreational player shouldn't have any problems with cross trainer type shoes...just keep in mind that they won't last half as long as most tennis shoes, but that might mean 6 months as a opposed to a year for someone who plays once a week or something.

The_Question
09-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Tennis shoes do not automatically have great ankle support.

The true of all truth...

Al Czervik
09-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Inasmuch as the Air Zoom Tennis Trainer is part cross trainer, it is also great for tennis. The only downside is you don't want it if you are playing 20 hours a week. But if you are looking for a great low to the ground shoe, the rare wide Nike, and ankle support, it is a winner.