PDA

View Full Version : My daughter took down her Serena poster...

dufferok
09-14-2009, 05:36 AM
After watching Serena's US Open semi-final match, my daughter walked into her bedroom and took down her Serena poster and threw it in the trash. I was a bit shocked and asked her to explain her actions. She replied, "I looked up to her...but not anymore." She paused, looked down at the trash can and said, "Now she can look up to me."

I am proud of my daughter for not accepting just any behavior from those she looks up to.

TennisNinja
09-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Congrats to your daughter.

mzzmuaa
09-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Yea, I can empathize.
My friend took down his Michael Vick poster when he joined the Eagles.

RedWeb
09-14-2009, 05:52 AM

Yeah, joining the Eagles is much worse than being cruel to animals. Glad your friend hung in with Vick until he crossed the line.

babbette
09-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Your daughter is such a drama queen. 8)
Nah i'm just kidding. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

BHud
Yeah, joining the Eagles is much worse than being cruel to animals. Glad your friend hung in with Vick until he crossed the line.

Nice! LOL

jamesblakefan#1

True dat. lol.

jelle v
09-14-2009, 05:56 AM
After watching Serena's US Open semi-final match, my daughter walked into her bedroom and took down her Serena poster and threw it in the trash. I was a bit shocked and asked her to explain her actions. She replied, "I looked up to her...but not anymore." She paused, looked down at the trash can and said, "Now she can look up to me."

I am proud of my daughter for not accepting just any behavior from those she looks up to.

I think I might have vomited in my mouth a little from reading this post.. political correct bs.. I actually wonder if there is anything true about this post.. blegh..

motrengaw
09-14-2009, 05:57 AM
I hope every time Serena walks on a court she will get booed until she actually makes an apology. Unlike Venus she has never been gracious in victory or defeat. I hope the WTA will suspend her and test her for steroid use. She is a disgrace

babbette
09-14-2009, 06:04 AM
people are acting as if she always acts like this. To my knowledge this is the first time she's acted like that or "threatened" someone like that. Maybe she should be given a break. If people tell me they've never lost it at work when they were passionate over something and felt they were done wrong, I would call them liars.

jelle v
09-14-2009, 06:07 AM
people are acting as if she always acts like this. To my knowledge this is the first time she's acted like that or "threatened" someone like that. Maybe she should be given a break. If people tell me they've never lost it at work when they were passionate over something and felt they were done wrong, I would call them liars.

Exactly.. people on this board are giving Serena way too much crap about this.. Not a surprise however, given that this board consists mainly of Williams haters..

wyutani
shes a millionaire, she can do anything she wants!

CaptainInsano
How old is your daughter?

Koodos for her to stick to her values and principles.

icedevil0289
09-14-2009, 06:08 AM

I agree to a certain extent, but I don't think serena really apologized. As far as I know, she said she was a human being or something to that extent, but never really apologized. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Lionheart392
09-14-2009, 06:09 AM

LOL that is awesome.

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 06:14 AM

Agreed, it's funny how people act as if they never make mistakes in their lives....i guess everyone's a saint when you can't see the skeletons in their closets. Fortunately most people in real life are more gracious.

Lionheart392
09-14-2009, 06:17 AM
Agreed, it's funny how people act as if they never make mistakes in their lives....i guess everyone's a saint when you can't see the skeletons in their closets. Fortunately most people in real life are more gracious.

But the point is that Serena has not made any kind of apology for her 'mistake' (inverted commas because I doubt she views it as one). Therefore all the criticism she is getting for her appalling behaviour is fully justified. You have every right to defend her just as everyone else has every right to voice their disgust, no?

Bud
09-14-2009, 06:19 AM

I think I might have vomited in my mouth a little from reading this post.. political correct bs.. I actually wonder if there is anything true about this post.. blegh..

Yeah, same here... it's a bit suspect. It reminds me of the obnoxious right wing emails that circulate.

icedevil0289
09-14-2009, 06:20 AM

say if this was djokovic, would you be saying the same thing, probably not. Either way, I guess the hate towards her is a bit much. I myself really cant stand her, or her father. Venus is okay.

either way, it's annoying because serena is trying to justify her behavior and imo that's wrong. I haven't seen an apology and I think we can both agree that what she did was wrong. I can understand her being emotional at a time like that, but still wrong.

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2009, 06:24 AM

Also, please let her know that tennis players are not perfect beings. They are humans with emotions and passions.

I'm not saying what Serena did was right, rather, I'm talking about the general principal of being a human being.

DaMiBru
09-14-2009, 06:36 AM

Shows just how little your daughter knows (cares) about Serena. If she truly harbored any real admiration for her so called roll model she would weigh the bulk of her attention toward all the positive actions Serena embarks upon in her life, actions which in all reality far outweigh her last tirade. But I'm sure you as a parent explained this to your daughter, and in doing so minimizing the initial shock your daughter had to process at the sight that Serena is actually human!

Best regards

PS: When I was a young I saw Johnny Mac loose it and I still have his poster which is now probably worth quite a bit on ****!

dufferok
09-14-2009, 06:45 AM
My daughter is age 14. And yes, 14 year old girls can be over dramatic. The point of this thread was that I was proud of my daughter for discerning good character from bad, not to bash Serena, as there are plenty of threads already bashing her.

She's currently at school but I think what really got to her was the post match interview, how Serena said she did not regret what she had said or her actions.

Yes, people lose it on the court. Almost everyone can recall a time when they lost their temper and reacted out of anger and said or did something stupid. It's human. But not to feel remorse or apologize for what you did out of anger is a demonstration that you accept or approve such behavior.

Take Andre Agassi for example. You might recall in history that he even had a match where he was so mad at the line judge, he hit a ball at her. He later apologized for his actions and regretted what had taken place. He did not approve of his actions. And now look at Agassi today. A very giving person who has helped hundreds of kids.

Henry Kaspar
09-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Isn't you daughter a tough cookie.

jimwh
09-14-2009, 06:53 AM
You should be very proud of your daughter. A lot of people are comparing Serena's actions to some of John Mcenroes outburst. I may be wrong, but I don't remember Mcenroe ever threatening a linesmen with physical harm.

egn
09-14-2009, 06:58 AM

Did she then say "I don't do weed I school clowns like her on the tennis court"

This seems way to candy coated..now she can look up to me...I hope you are just putting it in a shortened version it feels like dialogue to a bad episode of full house or something.

dozu
09-14-2009, 07:09 AM

good move... the williams are no role models to start with.. bad moral, bad tennis.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 07:11 AM

Really? If Roger did that you would be calling for a lifetime ban. You biased troll.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 07:12 AM

Also, please let her know that tennis players are not perfect beings. They are humans with emotions and passions.

I'm not saying what Serena did was right, rather, I'm talking about the general principal of being a human being.

This is nonsense. Serena is 28 and a professional. If you or I went to a co-worker and said what she did, we'd be fired immediately and possibly civil charges brought up.

COPEY
09-14-2009, 07:26 AM
You should be very proud of your daughter. A lot of people are comparing Serena's actions to some of John Mcenroes outburst. I may be wrong, but I don't remember Mcenroe ever threatening a linesmen with physical harm.

Never threatened a linesperson to my knowledge either, but in 1985 (I think...or 84) at the Transamerica Open he put on a show that in my mind rivals any outburst I've ever seen lol. He literally trashed the juice table (left it in pieces), hurled countless expletives at the umpire and two linesman, then went on to win the match lol. Today he would've been thrown out and probably banned for a year. He's still my hero, however - not because of his antics, but because of his game.

Thing is, Mac is the ultimate team player, has supported quite a few charities, and the like. Does his past behavior (and sometimes current behavior) outweigh the good things he's done? I guess people have to decide that for themselves.

As for Serena, eh - she overreacted to a call. It's that simple. She was fined, there are probably more fines to come, and she'll have earned every one of them (financially they're meaningless - mere pocket change), but that one incident shouldn't wipe away everthing she's done (and does) that's positive. Not in my opinion anyway.

Having said that, she's often arrogant and cocky, but at least she can back it up the majority of the time. ;)

BMG
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
good move... the williams are no role models to start with.. bad moral, bad tennis.

Serena deserves to be booed and is no role model. I disagree with grouping Venus in to the conversation and blasting "the sisters" every time Serena does something stupid. IMO, Venus is a great role model and gracious in victory and defeat...as well as a great player to emulate. Many people that simplistically attack both of them, as one, have other issues quite often.

Warriorroger
09-14-2009, 07:27 AM
I have thrown away my Serena Voodoo doll, disgusting person!

ClubHoUno
09-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Your daughter made a smart move, bud had bad taste to start with :)

Out with Serena, in with Kim !

From a dedicated Serena hater......

Casticus
09-14-2009, 07:28 AM

.... Half of your posts are attacks on people... Be it Federer, his wife (oh look at her toes!), people on this forum, people's kids on this forum. Why do you do that?

Putting a smiley face or just kidding after an insult on someone's daughter doesn't change the fact you just insulted someone's daughter. Show some respect.

Just kidding! not.

heartman
09-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Bjorn99, I disagree. As competitors, and certainly as competitors on an international level, these players are role models and have an obligation to maintain their composure as they compete.

Ever heard of the adage "treat others the way you'd like to be treated yourself"? I have said this to kids for a long, long time. Serena just took a big crap on the whole idea. Bad, bad news...

babbette
09-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Really? If Roger did that you would be calling for a lifetime ban. You biased troll.
Not really because it's not that serious to me. Everyone loses it once in a while.When he smashed his racket earlier this year I wasn't as shocked as most people were, so don't pretend you know my thinking. Thanks.

babbette
09-14-2009, 07:39 AM
.... Half of your posts are attacks on people... Be it Federer, his wife (oh look at her toes!), people on this forum, people's kids on this forum. Why do you do that?

Putting a smiley face or just kidding after an insult on someone's daughter doesn't change the fact you just insulted someone's daughter. Show some respect.

Just kidding! not.

"Half of your posts are attacks on people... Be it Federer, his wife (oh look at her toes!), people on this forum, people's kids on this forum..."
hmm ok.:confused:

I didn't mean to insult her daughter by calling her a drama queen. If it came across as an insult, sorry to the OP. Isn't that an expression people use jockingly? Obviously I don't know her daughter and can't judge her.
You're all too serious (warning emoticon):shock:

dukemunson
09-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Not really because it's not that serious to me. Everyone loses it once in a while.When he smashed his racket earlier this year I wasn't as shocked as most people were, so don't pretend you know my thinking. Thanks.

What a dumb point...you can't compare breaking a racket with repeatedly screaming at an umpire what Serena screamed. She deserves to be booed and ignored...standingup for her is ridiculous after that news conferance.

poplar
09-14-2009, 07:52 AM

wow, I am glad that you hate Federer. Apparently in your world black is white up is down. Which means Federer must be a saint.

As to Nadal, he must have done sth bad to deserve you. I don't come here often but whenever I saw your posts, they were filled with stupidity and prejudice.

babbette
09-14-2009, 08:02 AM
What a dumb point...you can't compare breaking a racket with repeatedly screaming at an umpire what Serena screamed. She deserves to be booed and ignored...standingup for her is ridiculous after that news conferance.
You originally said that if Federer had done this I would have wanted him to get a ban and what I was trying to say was, I still wouldn't give a damn if he did it too because everybody loses it at one point or another. So you calling me a troll when this thread hasn't even got anything to do with Roger makes kind of...hmm?????????????????:shock:
I have to keep repeating, I don't hate Roger. I don't always agree with everything he says, but don't hate him. Rafa fan doesn't mean anti Roger.

babbette
09-14-2009, 08:04 AM
wow, I am glad that you hate Federer. Apparently in your world black is white up is down. Which means Federer must be a saint.

As to Nadal, he must have done sth bad to deserve you. I don't come here often but whenever I saw your posts, they were filled with stupidity and prejudice.
Oh i'm not even going to bother with you because what you said makes no sense to me and I can't be bothered. But I will say

Rafa fan doesn't mean anti Roger, but I prefer Rafa yes.:)

NamRanger
09-14-2009, 08:05 AM
I agree to a certain extent, but I don't think serena really apologized. As far as I know, she said she was a human being or something to that extent, but never really apologized. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Human nature. Serena doesn't live behind a wall unlike alot of other tennis players. One thing you can be assured of, she is 100% honest whether you like it or not.

SoCal10s
09-14-2009, 08:06 AM
everyone who plays tennis or any sport on that level are actors and actresses ... Conners,McEnroe,Williams sisters,Federer,Tiger,Kobe.. all acting... they all love that limelight,they all love to be in center stage.. their make up is different from normal people ... I'm sure SW was acting out there and lost her part a little bit... she just wanted a bit more attention than normal at that point in time and lashed out in front of all to witness... she was protesting what she felt was un-just and her acting was a bit over the top... I'm sure if you knew the WS on a personal basis you'd would think that they're nice as can be.. but knowing her in tennis circle SW seems like, Serena Williams...

amx13
09-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, people lose it on the court. Almost everyone can recall a time when they lost their temper and reacted out of anger and said or did something stupid. It's human. But not to feel remorse or apologize for what you did out of anger is a demonstration that you accept or approve such behavior.

Agree 100%, thats the worst part of this whole thing. I hope she gets a ban for the 2010 AO

Talker
09-14-2009, 08:17 AM

I found this from earlier this year.

Martínez said that she believed the ball in question had touched her racket.

“People said it was the body, but if it hit my body, I didn’t feel it,” she said.

Williams contended otherwise. “I’m going to get you in the locker room for that; you don’t know me,” she said on court.
After an extended discussion with Joseph, she then said, “She better not come to the net again.”

Williams was apparently unaware that on-court microphones had picked up that comment. “You guys heard that?” she said at a news conference, looking sheepish.

rafan
09-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Human nature. Serena doesn't live behind a wall unlike alot of other tennis players. One thing you can be assured of, she is 100% honest whether you like it or not.

Yes and in this world where "public relations " is paramount and many of our icons - whether they are film stars or politicians- are seen as squeaky clean, Serena comes out as saying what she means. Even if it was regretted and in the heat of the moment. As for the rest we are only fed a diet of what we should hear. Well think about it before you add another poster of your favourite whoever on your wall

Inner Game
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Serena is the class of Compton

Sentinel
09-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Please please send me the poster. I've become a fan of hes after the incident.

CDNguy87
09-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by babbette View Post
I found this from earlier this year.

Quote:
Martínez said that she believed the ball in question had touched her racket.

“People said it was the body, but if it hit my body, I didn’t feel it,” she said.

Williams contended otherwise. “I’m going to get you in the locker room for that; you don’t know me,” she said on court.
After an extended discussion with Joseph, she then said, “She better not come to the net again.”

Williams was apparently unaware that on-court microphones had picked up that comment. “You guys heard that?” she said at a news conference, looking sheepish.

---------------------------

I've figured it out. Serena is basically still in grade school. She demonstrates the emotional and intellectual capacity of a 12-13-year old (to be generous) and basically acts like a schoolyard bully. "After school, behind the alley, we settle this". The only difference between her and a prepubescent teen is that she's a world-class athlete with the physique of a bodybuilder.

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 08:45 AM
I think tearing down a poster is too harsh, although it's your daughter's stuff to do what she wants w/ it.

That would have been a good opportunity for you (the parent) to hv a conversation w/ your daughter stating that we all are human & mk mistakes & THERE ARE CERTAIN MISTAKES PEOPLE MK THAT WE SHOULD FORGIVE & OTHERS WE SHOULDN'T. Serena does not hv a history of this type of behavior. On top of that, hv you ever heard any negative things about her personal life in the news, etc.? Not at all. She let her temper get to her & said some cuss words towards someone.

In my opinion, she was really, really angry this time because she knew she had an excellent chance of winning once she got passed Clijsters because she knew she could pretty easily beat Wozniacki or the other gal w/ the last name that begins w/ W to win the whole thing. She took that anger out of the lineswoman who md the call at a frustrating time in the match.

I don't condone Serena's behavior, but my point is, if we all are going to hate everyone who mks every little mistake in this world, then teens won't hv anyone to look up to anymore.

For example, in that case, we should hate Angelina Jolie because she stole Brad Pitt (who was married at the time) away from Jennifer Aniston.

katarddx
09-14-2009, 08:51 AM
My son put one up. Ying and yang. He was proud of her for standing up to some idiot trying to make a million dollars back home for screwing up the last American hope at the US OPEN. Come to think of it, I think I am going to put one up myself.

Shame on your daughter for getting swayed by that, she obviously wasn't very faithful in the first place.

And I guess she won't put up any more athletes pics up on the wall. These people are competitors! They are bred to compete, and stand up for themselves.

Federer would have thrown a ***** fit if that had happened to him, and everyone would have stood up for him. Another foreigner on US soil.

And shame on all the nodding heads approving of this kid dumping her girl for fighting back against injustice. Symptomatic of the times, no one sticks up anyone these days, its all about sticking a fork into everyone and everything.
whoa! a real american duschbag familiy! bigots!

babbette
09-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Serena's sister was shot while she was sitting in a car. And she is BLACK! Any idea of how stuked that culture has been over the last four hundred years? C'mon, she wouldn't have been able to look a brother or sister in the face if she didn't give that idiot a piece.

wow! Ok random what was Christian Bale rant? Ghetto too I suppose? Or was he a legend as many deemed him?

Ok so people say Serena once said "“I’m going to get you in the locker room for that; you don’t know me,” "
did she do it then?
And did she or is she actually going to shove the ball down her throat?

Don't condone her words, but bottom line they're just empty threats.

random guy
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Good for her. On the other hand I still can't take out my poster of Samantha Fox out of the wall. I need help.

babbette
09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
An apology for you

Monday, September 14, 2009

Press Statement Amendment
Hey guys!!!

I want to amend my press statement of yesterday, and want to make it clear as possible - I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lines woman, Kim Clijsters, the USTA, and tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst. I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity, and I admit when I'm wrong.

I need to make it clear to all young people that I handled myself inappropriately and it's not the way to act -- win or lose, good call or bad call in any sport, in any manner.

I like to lead by example. We all learn from experiences both good and bad. I will learn and grow from this, and be a better person as a result.

Xxxx,

S

Court Valkyrie
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
OMG Bjorn,

This has nothing to do with race? Face the facts she was going down to Clisters and wanted someone to blame for getting your butt kicked....

Race nope......Clisters played better today.....but classless, bullying is what Serena's about!

I am suprised it went this far without someone playing the race card. I'm proud of my fellow posters here...except you Bjorn99. Ow...I bumped my head on the car door...obviously the car is racist against whites. The vending machine didn't take my dollar because it hates white people's money. If I would have left out the racism part, it would have seemed like an everyday event, but since I did, it turns it into National News...call Jesse and Al. I want to rally!

Court Valkyrie
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
An apology for you

Too little too late.

HellBunni
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
saying it was just being human is NOT apologizing.
that is an excuse. something to say she personally did nothing wrong.

Casticus
09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh i'm not even going to bother with you because what you said makes no sense to me and I can't be bothered. But I will say

Rafa fan doesn't mean anti Roger, but I prefer Rafa yes.:)

Useless statement because in your case you are anti Roger.

Casticus
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
An apology for you

Where is the apology? I see that she wrote that she wants to apologize. She didn't actually say I apologize or I am sorry. So she wants to apologize but is too much of a d-bag to actually do it.

SuperFly
09-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Get your daughter some ice cream, she's a very good person for doing this. She realizes that even if Serena's a great player, she's sort of a jerk.

Datacipher
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I think tearing down a poster is too harsh, although it's your daughter's stuff to do what she wants w/ it.

That would have been a good opportunity for you (the parent) to hv a conversation w/ your daughter stating that we all are human & mk mistakes & THERE ARE CERTAIN MISTAKES PEOPLE MK THAT WE SHOULD FORGIVE & OTHERS WE SHOULDN'T. .

Typical ill-thought logic. LOL. What a joke. Tearing down a poster is "too harsh" because she is a human? Well then, if the poster represented somebody flawless it should not have gone up in the first place. (apparently it's ok to worship Serena as a Goddess, just not right to stop when she screws up...)

If the poster represented a flawed human already, then there is absolutely no reason why this girl cannot and should not choose to tear it down when that person no longer represents what they admire. (personally, I"d say this is long overdue, Serena has been THE sorest loser I ever remember in tennis, and I remember them all...runner-up Pancho G...)

THINK before posting. This isn't about your Serena fanboyism.

stormholloway
09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Your daughter to that poster and shoved it down the f*cking trash can's throat.

remrusty
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Get her a new Rafa poster!

ubermeyer
09-14-2009, 06:19 PM
She replied, "I looked up to her...but not anymore." She paused, looked down at the trash can and said, "Now she can look up to me."

lol, that is so quotable! did she say that just so you would quote her?

hahaha

but really, Serena started schools in Kenya for underprivileged children. I don't think she would ever look up to your daughter -even if she knew her- unless she does something so selfless for other people like that. While it was wrong what she did it doesn't erase all the good she has done in the past.

JeMar
09-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Yea, I can empathize.

LMAO. I laughed so freaking hard at this.

Well done, sir, well done.

topspin
09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
To the OP, congrats to your daughter for realizing that tennis players are not to be looked up to for anything more than tennis ability unless they prove themselves in other areas of life. I think what your daughter did shows that she's growing in self esteem. Good for her.

Lendl and Federer Fan
09-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Good for her, you have a winner. Can she come work for me? :)

Tennis Fan
09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Typical ill-thought logic. LOL. What a joke. Tearing down a poster is "too harsh" because she is a human? Well then, if the poster represented somebody flawless it should not have gone up in the first place. (apparently it's ok to worship Serena as a Goddess, just not right to stop when she screws up...)

If the poster represented a flawed human already, then there is absolutely no reason why this girl cannot and should not choose to tear it down when that person no longer represents what they admire. (personally, I"d say this is long overdue, Serena has been THE sorest loser I ever remember in tennis, and I remember them all...runner-up Pancho G...)

THINK before posting. This isn't about your Serena fanboyism.

I'm just saying my view regarding the OP daughter's situation since she had the poster up in the 1st place.

For me personally, I never had any posters of ANYONE in my entire life. In my opinion, we should only look up to God as our role model & no other human being because they're no better than us, they just have fame & a little money.

ZhengJieisagoddess
09-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Good for her!! I think that it's time to move on with Serena...but not forget what happened. She's lost a lot of fans, and deservedly so.

Mick
09-15-2009, 09:15 PM
i am surprised serena didn't gain any new fan here because there are some people who would go for the anti-hero :)

big bang
09-15-2009, 11:52 PM
LOL what a good move from your daughter:) I was just wondering.. how could you allow her to have a poster of Tyson with boobs in her room?? LMAO