PDA

View Full Version : ...wow

egn
09-14-2009, 06:51 AM
That is all I have to say after probably the worst US Open final for women in ages. The level of play was awful, nobody this whole tournament even looked competitive (few exceptions). I am ashamed to actually have ever once defended a bunch of the misfits that make up the WTA at the moment. 2008 was a rough year but with there was a chance for optimism. Safina looked like she was getting better, Jankovic looked as if she could turn into a contendor and same goes for Ana. Where are we at the end of 2009. Serena playing worse than she did in 2008 and grabbing 2 slams, Kim Clijsters who at her peak could not win more than a slam in her prime winning one due to a pathetic field of low play, A number 1 who is trying to make herself look worse than Jankovic, a top 10 consisting of a mess of journeywomen, serena who is too busy running her mouth to work on her game, venus who three yeras ago playing the way she did on every surface off of grass would be lucky to be top 10 and kuzzy probably the only player actually doing what was expected of her. Am I going to be happy for Kim? Yes. However do I think she played great..not really. Kim played much better in 02-06 than she did now. Hell 2002 Kim Clijsters would have beat her I feel. She went out in the fourth round to Mauresmo but the two played a far higher quality match than that joke of a final last night. To think when 2002 rolled around and The Williams, Henin, Clijsters were all stepping up into the spotlight and becoming the forces of tennis I never thought it would be this bad. Than Sharapova arrived and added a bit more to the equation and you had a couple strong upset possibilites in Davenport, Kuzzy, Mauresmo, Dementieva but what happened. I thought this US Open though was going to prove everyone's thoughts wrong and we would finally see some of the Serbs and Russians step up, but no. Clijsters played very well and she beat who was there and hell props for that, I just wish there was more there. How many of these current WTA propsects are going to make a final only to go down to one of the older veterans who are shadows of their former self. Why are players like Kuzzy and Clijsters more of a slam threat now than they were in their primes? Where is the next Martina or Steffi =[

joeri888
09-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Yeah, it all makes sense, the level of play is getting worse and worse every year in men's and women's tennis. Doesn't make sense at all. Kim's win might turn out to be a fluke, but it couldn't have happened to a better person. Also Venus-Clijsters and Clijsters-Bartoli as well as Serena-Clijsters were good matches. Oudin provided plenty of drama for the americans.

I don't see the problem.

egn
09-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Yeah, it all makes sense, the level of play is getting worse and worse every year in men's and women's tennis. Doesn't make sense at all. Kim's win might turn out to be a fluke, but it couldn't have happened to a better person. Also Venus-Clijsters and Clijsters-Bartoli as well as Serena-Clijsters were good matches. Oudin provided plenty of drama for the americans.

I don't see the problem.

I believe I only talked about women's tennis.

I am happy Kim won.

I just wish the players would provide more intense matches and look like they want to win. Not 26 of the top 32 players going out in the first week. The problem is when are the top on the WTA going to be consistent.

p.s when the hell did I mention a mans name?

heartman
09-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Geez, the only women's player without a photo shoot in the last couple of months won the US Open. I think KC won due to the fact she was concerned with her tennis, not what she saw in the mirror like all the others.

But I could be wrong.

Fedace
09-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Never Fear. There is Still time to salvage this US open. If Delpo can push Federer to 5th set tiebreaker and BEAT him.......................................Go Delpo

Haasquet
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
That is all I have to say after...

If 'wow was all you had to say, then why'd you follow up this phrase with such a lengthy post?

All-rounder
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Never Fear. There is Still time to salvage this US open. If Delpo can push Federer to 5th set tiebreaker and BEAT him.......................................Go Delpo
Looks like someone is still sore from the the nadal beatdown

Sephiroth619
09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
If 'wow was all you had to say, then why'd you follow up this phrase with such a lengthy post?

Serious. And learn to use paragraph breaks while you're at it.

Cindysphinx
09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I liked the women's final. It had considerable drama, with Wozniaki falling behind early, rallying and then getting edged at the finish line in the first set. It was also nice to see Kim overcome her nerves and serve the thing out the first time, and I liked how her game improved visibly during the match as she figured Wozniaki out.

Thank goodness. 'Cause Nadal/Del Potro was a snooze fest, and Fed/Djokovic apparently wasn't even interesting enough to televise.

Swissv2
09-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Thank goodness. 'Cause Nadal/Del Potro was a snooze fest, and Fed/Djokovic apparently wasn't even interesting enough to televise.

Not televised on CBS? If so, that was a shame, as it was a very exciting match to watch. I watched it on Tennis Channel.

AndrewD
09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I think the OP's problem is that he actually expected women's tennis to be interesting. It isn't! On those occassions when it is, it's a complete aberration. On those rare instances when you get a woman who plays an interesting style of game (Court, King, Navratilova, Mandlikova, Novotna, Hingis), it's an aberration. That's why they've been so determined to market the personalities - they know that the games (apart from those one or two aberrations) aren't interesting enough to demand attention so they have to look for another hook.

Navratilova vs Evert might have been interesting but everything up to that final was a bore.
Court vs King = the same
Graf vs Sabatini = the same
Graf vs Seles = the same

I'm very sure you can mention a decade here or a decade there when there did seem to be a handful of exciting matches in each event and more than just two genuine 'quality' contenders for each title (the Williams, Davenport, Henin, Capriati, Williams, Hingis, Williams era might be one example) but that's not much over the game's history.

This year there just wasn't enough 'personality' (or what passes for it) to mask the overall dullness of the women's game. As a result, the matrix drops and you get to, finally, see the world as it really is.

mtommer
09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I think the OP's problem is that he actually expected women's tennis to be interesting. It isn't!

It is if you let it be what it is instead of expecting some unreal expectation with comparison to the men's game. By the same measure you use to say women's tennis is boring, Americans have been using it to say TENNIS is boring.

Yesterday's US Open women's final was a very nice match for once. Wozniacki (sp?) didn't let down, she played great defense and really tried to move Kim around. It worked for awhile too. The points were usually long and the last set score does not reveal the good quality level of tennis that was being played. The rallies were long with both girls trying to move each other around IN the rallies instead of just hitting back and forth, back and forth, back and forth to the same spot. THIS IS what makes tennis exciting IMO. You didn't know who would win the point.

Fedace
09-14-2009, 10:39 PM

Ahhhh,,,, well this year's US open just became one of the greatest Opens ever.......:)

flying24
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
That is all I have to say after probably the worst US Open final for women in ages. The level of play was awful, nobody this whole tournament even looked competitive (few exceptions). I am ashamed to actually have ever once defended a bunch of the misfits that make up the WTA at the moment. 2008 was a rough year but with there was a chance for optimism. Safina looked like she was getting better, Jankovic looked as if she could turn into a contendor and same goes for Ana. Where are we at the end of 2009. Serena playing worse than she did in 2008 and grabbing 2 slams, Kim Clijsters who at her peak could not win more than a slam in her prime winning one due to a pathetic field of low play, A number 1 who is trying to make herself look worse than Jankovic, a top 10 consisting of a mess of journeywomen, serena who is too busy running her mouth to work on her game, venus who three yeras ago playing the way she did on every surface off of grass would be lucky to be top 10 and kuzzy probably the only player actually doing what was expected of her. Am I going to be happy for Kim? Yes. However do I think she played great..not really. Kim played much better in 02-06 than she did now. Hell 2002 Kim Clijsters would have beat her I feel. She went out in the fourth round to Mauresmo but the two played a far higher quality match than that joke of a final last night. To think when 2002 rolled around and The Williams, Henin, Clijsters were all stepping up into the spotlight and becoming the forces of tennis I never thought it would be this bad. Than Sharapova arrived and added a bit more to the equation and you had a couple strong upset possibilites in Davenport, Kuzzy, Mauresmo, Dementieva but what happened. I thought this US Open though was going to prove everyone's thoughts wrong and we would finally see some of the Serbs and Russians step up, but no. Clijsters played very well and she beat who was there and hell props for that, I just wish there was more there. How many of these current WTA propsects are going to make a final only to go down to one of the older veterans who are shadows of their former self. Why are players like Kuzzy and Clijsters more of a slam threat now than they were in their primes? Where is the next Martina or Steffi =[

While alot of what you say makes sense your reference to Kim winning only 1 slam in her previous career is deceiving as her winning only 1 slam in her first prime was really a complete fluke and something that could have been vastly different for a number of reasons.

1. She retired at only 23 years old remember. Not exactly a long career or prime when many womens contenders have primes that stretch until they are 29 or so.

2. She missed an entire year with injury at the worst possible time perhaps from March 2004-March 2005. During this time period then inferior players like Myskina, Kuznetsova, 17 year old Sharapova, badly slumping Serena, each won slams. Her main nemisis like Henin, Serena, Venus were relatively quiet during this time for whatever reason. She could have easily won 2 or 3 of those 4 slams and already been at 3 or 4 before her return to tennis now instead of 1 had she not been out injured that year, even with everything else remaining the same.

3. She lost some incredibly close matches which could have gone either way and given her additional slams. The 14-12 or so in the final set vs Capriati in the 2001 FO final which she really should have won. A few Australian Open semis and finals.

4. She was unlucky to have a huge mental bloc vs her big rival who she so often met up with in slams. That of course was Justine Henin. These sort of mental blocs or bad matchups with a certain player develop often in tennis, and it was unlucky for her to somehow keep running into that person in the semis and finals.

5. She had her first prime at an incredibly tough time in womens tennis which you refer to when you had Venus, Henin, Serena, Capriati, Davenport, Mauresmo and others all at the top together. Her exact first peak was probably 2003-2005 (minus the year she missed injured during this) which had Henin, Serena, and Venus all at their peaks, well atleast in 2003.

So for a whole host of reasons her winning only 1 slam in her so called prime is enormously deceiving and should be considered when you reference her as someone who won only 1 slam in her first prime.

Also how do you know Clijsters is at a lower level now than before? Is that something that is just supposed to be automatic since she retired. She is only 26 so clearly not too old. Maybe she watched alot of the game and has gotten some advice from various coaches behind the scenes and polished some things. Her mental game was always her biggest weakness in her first go around, maybe marriage has given her a new perspective. It is not at all certain she cant be a good or better now as far as her own standard of play in her second career.

CanadianChic
09-14-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow. What an unoriginal thought. Yet another thread slamming female tennis players. We've heard they are slower, less skilled, less muscular, their endurance sucks, they are too emotional, they are emotionally weak, they have no business making the money the men do, they don't draw in the crowds, they are fat, etc., etc., etc. Colour it any way you want but spouting off this nonsense is typical aggressive anti-women hate speak and it is so boring. Please, come up with something new and fascinating about how they are lacking if you want to grip the attention of the masses. *yawn* Off you go to ogle the guy's only thread while you complain about lack of talent. What a joke.

flyer
09-14-2009, 11:34 PM
i dont think thats a fair statement at all, let me explain...

this tournament was the best clijsters has ever playing in her life, and we know how good she was before, and she just came off a convincing victory over serena

woz, when she plays its never going to be real pretty thats not her mo, and i know when we see moonballs we think of highschool jv tennis but listen the girl is consistent and she wins, wins, wins

wyutani
09-14-2009, 11:36 PM
man, lenghty posts should be made illegal. that post alone can cause an increase of myopia.