PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Murray in the British press if Del Po wins today?

egn
09-14-2009, 07:10 AM
How would the British press take it if Del Po won today and thats another new slam winner? What do they say? Will they still be backing him?

batz
09-14-2009, 07:58 AM
How would the British press take it if Del Po won today and thats another new slam winner? What do they say? Will they still be backing him?

DelPo winning the US Open would hardly register in the UK. Hell, Roger winning the USO will hardly register. There are Champions League matches this week you know.

Murray will be judged by the UK press solely on how he does at wimbledon. I make it he has 2 more failures to win the title before they turn on him.

NamRanger
09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
DelPo winning the US Open would hardly register in the UK. Hell, Roger winning the USO will hardly register. There are Champions League matches this week you know.

Murray will be judged by the UK press solely on how he does at wimbledon. I make it he has 2 more failures to win the title before they turn on him.

I disagree. I think if he at least doesn't make a final (unless he runs into an absolutely on fire player, which in all likely hood is possible) then the press surely isn't going to take it will.

Although Del Potro winning won't register in the U.K., it will register in Andy Murray's mind. That, I am sure of.

henryshli
09-14-2009, 08:22 AM

I'm afraid nothing will be said in the bristish press. All the press care about here in terms of tennis is Wimbledon. The majority of the people here don't even know that play tennis for the rest of the year, seriously.

l_gonzalez
09-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Although Del Potro winning won't register in the U.K., it will register in Andy Murray's mind. That, I am sure of.

Very true, it will cut Murray real deep if Del Potro wins.

Talker
09-14-2009, 08:34 AM
They'll offer Potro citizenship and ask "who is Murray?"

rocket
09-14-2009, 08:41 AM

No-one has ever beaten Fed in a slam final, other than Nadal. So, the British press wouldn't have to make such a tough decision. ;)

jwbarrientos
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
If Delpo wins, Andy's mother will suggest in UK Natl TV "Andy must shave his head, that would allow him to be more aerodynamic" 8)

In the other hand, what do you think ARG's Natl press will say if Delpo lose today :?

Kostas
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Is there bad blood between JMDP and Murray? I feel like I follow the APT pretty closely and I'm not aware of anything...

jwbarrientos
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Is there bad blood between JMDP and Murray? I feel like I follow the APT pretty closely and I'm not aware of anything...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/2299696/Andy-Murray-angry-with-Juan-Martin-Del-Potro.html 8) just a link to warm up

batz
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I disagree. I think if he at least doesn't make a final (unless he runs into an absolutely on fire player, which in all likely hood is possible) then the press surely isn't going to take it will.

Disgree all you like mate - doesn't make me any less right. The British sports press have a myriad of other fish to fry. Put it this way, this time last year - Murray wasn't the lead sports item in the press or other media - despite the fact it was his first slam final. You can imagine how interested they are in a final that he's not playing in.

What Murray does in the other slams is an irrelevence to the British press. Tennis is only played for 4 weeks of the year to these guys - Queen's through Wimbledon - that's it.

He won Queen's for the 1st time since electricity was invented. Now you and I both know it's a piddling 250 event and that this year's field wasn't the strongest - but he still won it. That buys him at least another year or 2 before they turn.

I'm sure Murray is crapping his pants at the thought of DelPotro winning tonight. He's probably crying at the thought of it even as I write this.

joeri888
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm sure Murray is crapping his pants at the thought of DelPotro winning tonight. He's probably crying at the thought of it even as I write this.

He isn't, since he remembers last year's final, and he went in with a winning h2h!

I agree with you btw on the british press. I think that Great Britain is way too large a sports country to bother about this. Football's clearly number 1, after that probably things like Rugby and athletics? I think Radcliffe > Murray in GB, unless it's that 4 weeks of the year you're talking about. Maybe if he made the final, it would be some kind of headline, but I rarely see anything big about murray on the bbc website.

batz
09-14-2009, 10:22 AM
He isn't, since he remembers last year's final, and he went in with a winning h2h!

I agree with you btw on the british press. I think that Great Britain is way too large a sports country to bother about this. Football's clearly number 1, after that probably things like Rugby and athletics? I think Radcliffe > Murray in GB, unless it's that 4 weeks of the year you're talking about. Maybe if he made the final, it would be some kind of headline, but I rarely see anything big about murray on the bbc website.

Some people from outside the UK don't realise how big a proportion of sports coverage is dedicated to football. Rugby, cricket and motor racing and boxing are all probably in front of tennis - although athletics is also quite popular.

Cesc Fabregas
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Todays final will be mentioned in about a paragraph in tommorows papers.

Feņa14
09-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Todays final will be mentioned in about a paragraph in tommorows papers.

Absolutely, you do have to laugh a bit at people who think they know exactly what goes on in the British media lol.

Eduardo's ban getting lifted, Adeb@yor's behaviour at the weekend, all the Champions League stuff and England's poor performances in the cricket will cover the back pages.

The winner of the US Open will get little to no attention. I think Batz is correct when he says Murray has another 2-3 Wimbledon's before the press start to turn, they're very supportive of him for now though.

Speranza
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Both Cesc and Feņa14 are spot on.....

This nation has such little interest in tennis outside of pre and during Wimbledon.

(i.e. There was NO mention of Serena's incident on any of the sports news on the Sunday morning.)

As for Murray, they won't care. Even if he won, he'd still be relegated to a lower story of importance as there's likely to be a footballer (soccer player) that was spotted doing 33 mph in a 30mph zone.

Soccer, cricket, rugby...... lots of news.

Tennis - get it via the net.

batz
09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Absolutely, you do have to laugh a bit at people who think they know exactly what goes on in the British media lol.

Eduardo's ban getting lifted, Adeb@yor's behaviour at the weekend, all the Champions League stuff and England's poor performances in the cricket will cover the back pages.

The winner of the US Open will get little to no attention. I think Batz is correct when he says Murray has another 2-3 Wimbledon's before the press start to turn, they're very supportive of him for now though.

My favourite (and I'm seeing it more and more often on here) is that the British media had Murray as favourite to win 3 of the last 4 slams:)

Speranza
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
My favourite (and I'm seeing it more and more often on here) is that the British media had Murray as favourite to win 3 of the last 4 slams:)

Actually, they had him down to win 5 of the last 4....

trix123
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Dont think the British care that much to be honest.

bruce38
09-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Another Falkland Islands war!!!

sureshs
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
How many others are there in the UK whom they can back?

malakas
09-14-2009, 12:00 PM
ehmm..sorry to break it to you..but don't hold your breath for them to explode or smth.:rolleyes: