PDA

View Full Version : spineless espn commentators

katarddx
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
i am disgusted.... not one! well, maube carrilo said somehting but aside from her not one commentator offered the opinion on serenas actions... are they affraid of her? or just spineless? opinionless? or just want to keep their job? even johny mac - the father of outbursts! no one... they all are kissing up that big ***** but not sure why? any other country - she would be spit on, bt here is ok, she brings money! wta is in big trouble and has been for years... now it is at the all time low... and so are the espn\abc\nbc\whatever commentators

Mad dog
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
I have to agree with you. Never liked Carillo much before - always interrupting people - but I have a new respect for her now. Her comments last night about her being incredulous tha Serena si being allowed to play today was spot on.
Johnny Mac has completely melted on this issue - no courage at all.

katarddx
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I have to agree with you. Never liked Carillo much before - always interrupting people - but I have a new respect for her now. Her comments last night about her being incredulous tha Serena si being allowed to play today was spot on.
agreed 100% ! you now that they know... but afraid to say it!

Talker
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM

If he says anything then people could bring up all the stuff he did, he doesn't want that.

katarddx
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
well, talker i agree on that, too... however, what serana did made johny mac look like a baby for all those years...

kkm
09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
McEnroe had a good sense of humour on the issue, though, when they brought up outbursts, he said something along the lines of, "No one look at me!" ;)

Inner Game
09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
McEnroe was scared sh...less after his first comments.....someone must have warned him to keep quiet...
McEnroe has become a true talking head now.....

markwillplay
09-14-2009, 09:38 AM
I am glad he shut is mouth,. He was actaully siding with serina because of the foot fault call...damn...old habbits die hard. An

I say this...anyone who makes any excuse for Serina is an idiot..there I said it here for all to see. NO EXCUSE for that.

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
National TV, I think they put a lid on anything but neutral comments.

Henry Kaspar
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
i am disgusted.... not one! well, maube carrilo said somehting but aside from her not one commentator offered the opinion on serenas actions... are they affraid of her? or just spineless? opinionless? or just want to keep their job? even johny mac - the father of outbursts! no one... they all are kissing up that big ***** but not sure why? any other country - she would be spit on, bt here is ok, she brings money! wta is in big trouble and has been for years... now it is at the all time low... and so are the espn\abc\nbc\whatever commentators

I rather think it shows backbone to resist this unspeakably stupid and low witchhunt that is going on.

JavierLW
09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I rather think it shows backbone to resist this unspeakably stupid and low witchhunt that is going on.

This is about the only thing I will agree with you on.

She did wrong, it was embarrassing, she lost the match because of it so let's move on. It's bad enough we're going to have to see it reported on SportsCenter for weeks to come.

Those commentators have more class then some of you. They are not going to foam at the mouth personally attacking Serena for days when there is still other tennis to broadcast.

She already made herself look stupid, that's bad enough already.

Any ordinary person would be really embarrassed by the whole incident. Maybe she isnt, but why do you people care? Because it's on TV?

I think if the argument is that somehow we have to teach her a lesson so people realize that is not proper behavior, that's sort of already been done.

She lost match point and any chance of going to the finals as well as making herself look a complete and utter goon in front of millions of people. What more do you people want?

If they suspend her, who really cares? It makes you people happy? It doesnt really do anything one way or another for me.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
I always disliked Carillo, but after this I have respect!

Enigma_87
09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
If the ITF or WTA don't ban her then they will be more spineless than all those put together.

Rain
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
I've always liked watching Johnny Mac's commentary, but I have to admit, he doesn't seem like a "tough guy" now. And it seemed to be an abrupt change. Like over a commercial break. What happened to his machismo?

araghava
09-14-2009, 11:15 AM
It was funny to watch Mary Joe Fernandez dance around this issue. She's the Fed cup captain and it was obvious that she didn't want to **** of Serena by criticizing here conduct.

timeisonmyside
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Lindsay Davenport on the Tennis Channel was the worst. Immediately following Serena's press conference after the match, Lindsay says she thought Serena "handled it pretty well."

Come again? That was the worst press conference ever to handle an ugly situation. She was better off not doing it at all.

timeisonmyside
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah must admit, respect to Mary Carillo.

ZhengJieisagoddess
09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
It was funny to watch Mary Joe Fernandez dance around this issue. She's the Fed cup captain and it was obvious that she didn't want to **** of Serena by criticizing here conduct.

It's a real problem and a conflict of interest when a journalist cannot say something because they weare other hats as well.

topspin
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I just saw the opening comments during the doubles match and it was incredible to hear Mary Joe and Cliffy actually use the word 'genuine' to describe this so-called 'apology'. It is the most insincere apology you can ask for. Technically, it is not even an apology because she never actually says "I'm sorry". The commentators are just too used to sucking up to the Williams sisters and I'm sure many of them have a certain level of friendship with them as well. I haven't heard any kissing up by Darren yet, so that's one good thing. I think he's doing a great job so far.

tennisaddict
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
It was pathetic to see Mary Joe handle the whole episode. When she was asked for what exactly is happening on the courtside , she looked terrified and passed it back to the booth quickly. She was not sure whether she should stop Serena while she was leaving the court. And the icing was when she asked Clijsters "Do you know what was going on"..

topspin
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Mary Joe also said something to Serena as she was leaving the court. Does anyone know what she said?

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I never liked Carillo anyway & I'd expect her stupid ***** to say something negative about Serena, but it was smart for the other commentators to keep their traps shut. That was classy on their part. Just because a mistake is made, it's no use stooping to that level as well on the repliers' end. Serena apologized, so that's all we can ask for.

vicnan
09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
The only commentator to come out ahead on this is Mary Carillo. This serious side of her is a surprise compared to her usual giggling/puerile commentary. Hope she keeps it up.

Stinkdyr
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I never liked Carillo anyway & I'd expect her stupid ***** to say something negative about Serena, but it was smart for the other commentators to keep their traps shut. That was classy on their part. Just because a mistake is made, it's no use stooping to that level as well on the repliers' end. Serena apologized, so that's all we can ask for.

Um, yeeeeeeeeah........that wasn't a mistake, that was an ASSAULT.

Wondertoy
09-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Mary Jo is a nothing broadcaster. No insight, wasn't a great pro, good thing she is cute.

speckles
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
The only commentator to come out ahead on this is Mary Carillo. This serious side of her is a surprise compared to her usual giggling/puerile commentary. Hope she keeps it up.

Love Mary--she's funny but also has a lot of integrity. She's not afraid to speak her mind when it would be far easier to remain quiet. Not many commentators (or journalists) can say that.

pound cat
09-14-2009, 02:27 PM

No interest in the WTA at all....