View Full Version : Serena Apoligies To Linesperson

Pages : [1] 2

RalphNYC
09-14-2009, 08:45 AM
http://www.serenawilliams.com/blog_message_detail.php?msg=125

Monday, September 14, 2009

Press Statement Amendment
Hey guys!!!

I want to amend my press statement of yesterday, and want to make it clear as possible - I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lines woman, Kim Clijsters, the USTA, and tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst. I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity, and I admit when I'm wrong.

I need to make it clear to all young people that I handled myself inappropriately and it's not the way to act -- win or lose, good call or bad call in any sport, in any manner.

I like to lead by example. We all learn from experiences both good and bad. I will learn and grow from this, and be a better person as a result.

Xxxx,

S

jones101
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey guys!!!

I want to amend my press statement of yesterday, and want to make it clear as possible - I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lines woman, Kim Clijsters, the USTA, and tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst. I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity, and I admit when I'm wrong.

I need to make it clear to all young people that I handled myself inappropriately and it's not the way to act -- win or lose, good call or bad call in any sport, in any manner.

I like to lead by example. We all learn from experiences both good and bad. I will learn and grow from this, and be a better person as a result.

Xxxx,

S

Im glad she has seen sense and admitted that it was completely inappropriate and I applaud her for that.

Obviously on reflection she has seen the error of her ways and hopefully, with her fine, a line can be drawn under this.

jwbarrientos
09-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Very smart, nice and claps for her.

drakulie
09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Yawn!!! She needs to be suspended.

Wakenslam
09-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Apology accepted.

gashandburn
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
okay... now do another press conference openly, this time actually apologizing for what you did and said, don't "amend" what you said yesterday in your freaking blog... come on...

Henry Kaspar
09-14-2009, 08:58 AM
okay... now do another press conference openly, this time actually apologizing for what you did and said, don't "amend" what you said yesterday in your freaking blog... come on...

So after she did this, what's your next request?

HellBunni
yawn...

this is just a PR act. and a lazy one at that.
like other said, she didn't even bother to put together a press conf.

Rabbit
I suspect the "apology" was only issued after she figured out she was a likely candidate to lose all her prize money and be suspended from a future major or two...

further...the "apology" is really close to the one George S. Patton issued after slapping a soldier.....

HellBunni
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
So after she did this, what's your next request?

she isn't even making an effort.

CyBorg
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Frankly, I don't really care about the hoopla involved here and actually believe that the incident is not that bad a thing (we all loved Mac's outbursts and the sport made money on them). Nor do I want to hop on the blame Serena bandwagon.

However, if you're going to apologize just plain apologize. No pseudo-apologies.

"I want to apologize" is not an apology. You're just stating that you may apologize or would apologize.

"I'm sorry" is an apology. "I apologize" is an apology.

Language pet peeve.

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, I'm gald she did something.

Kegzz
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Get over it people, she apologized. You all demanded it, she did it, yet you still find flaws in it. It's ridiculous.

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Get over it people, she apologized. You all demanded it, she did it, yet you still find flaws in it. It's ridiculous.

Right! Let's move it along now!

gashandburn
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM

you're ridiculous.

Grover Sparkman
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
It does nothing to change my opinion of her. I've never liked the way she has carried herself, and the outburst this weekend only solidified my opinion. The apology is meaningless.

She ought to send Kanye West a 'thanks for bailing me out' card for taking a lot of heat off of her.

three eights
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
What a sorry excuse for an apology. Did you count the number of times she talked and glorified herself in the process? No humility. Obviously the apology came (2 days late) because of the heat she's getting. Her true self was shown in the real post-game press conference.

We don't buy this PR oiled machine apology.

hondas2k
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Apology accepted.

not accepted.

she need to be banned forever from WTA.

she is just covering her ***...i have no respect for her.

jms007
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Apologizing on blog eh...
She should have apologized to the lines woman in person, like she did with Kim.

eagle
09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Okay. That's a start.

But writing it on a blog is almost meaningless.

She needs to do an in-person apology to the USTA officials and most especially to the lineswoman.

I just wonder if deep down she really is remorseful or is she doing it simply because her stock with the tour and sponsors is plummeting every second. Given her history for deflecting blame and never accountable to anything, I'm thinking it's the former which is a shame.

r,
eagle

jwbarrientos
09-14-2009, 09:10 AM
I'd repeat... apology is nice, smart and welcomed, I'd suggest Serena call a conference, phone the lineperson, send flowers and whatever, anyhow fine is there, suspension (hmmm sounds too much).

Fedace
09-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Apology accepted.

Are you the Lines woman that was there ? If so, were you upset by what happened ??

babbette
09-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Apology accepted!!!

Here is someone that accepts her apology too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvMTv_r8sA

It made it worse because the lineswoman just sat there like a scared little child. She was surrounded by umpire, and tournament people this time, how will she stick up for herself in the real world. Grow some balls lineswoman!

three eights
The trouble is: you don't matter.

Uh.. yes, he does. As fans we ALL matter.

Enigma_87
The trouble is: you don't matter.

neither do you.

Apology not accepted. She must be banned for the sake of the game. No one is bigger than the rules. She should at least be banned for the next AO. Banning her for the next AO and US seems fair.

Grigollif1
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I have never realized how much Serena was detested by some. I bet if wasn`t a woman or specially not Serena, it wouldn`t be much made about it.

I have seen guys literally throw raquets in anger and hit the linesman, that is some physical threat for you.

Serena gets one of the most random stupid calls I have ever seen in the history of the game and has a natural outburst and people want to judge her with an iron fist. As if saying ` I am going to shove this F bull up your f throat` is meant to be taken literally. Ow, how pathetic is that.

And I am no fan of Serena at all.

CaptainInsano
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
<<Yawn>>, no I won't get over it. She needs to be suspended.

I second that.

When does simply appologizing on a BLOG makes everything right again?

Ironically, she already knew she's doing something wrong to attract that kind of attention. She's been there long enough, is an adult now and at her level, you'd expect some dignity and respect so things like this don't even happen.

post-match interview in FO 2009: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-05-30/200905301243674770687.html

I'm like one of those girls on a realityshow that has all the drama, and everyone in the house hates them because nomatter what they do, like, drama follows them. I don't want to be that girl.

Q. Sowhy is that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't know. Maybe I can understand how they feel. I don't mean for this stuff to happen to me. It just kind of happens.

It doesn't "just kind of happens" like she says... you're responsible for your actions.

rob61
09-14-2009, 09:15 AM
If they don't ban her for a sizable period of time and fine her seriously (up to 250,000) the sport of tennis is irreparably harmed.

r2473

Don't worry. I have a feeling she will limit her schedule even more to include little more than the majors.

Just like a suspension, right?

max
It's good she apologized.

What really sucks is when you get such a call on an important point! But my view, in my opinion, is that she did commit a foot fault. What a shame.

HellBunni
09-14-2009, 09:19 AM
It made it worse because the lineswoman just sat there like a scared little child. She was surrounded by umpire, and tournament people this time, how will she stick up for herself in the real world. Grow some balls lineswoman!

the lineswoman was being professional as opposed to Serena.

Enigma_87
09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Apology accepted!!!

Complete and utter bollocks.

Issuing a death threat, in front of 23 thousand spectators and millions of tennis fans across the world, can't go by this way.

She should be banned for at least 2 slams or 6 months for being an utter classless tool.

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Apologizing on blog eh...
She should have apologized to the lines woman in person, like she did with Kim.

They just read those same apology words of hers on ESPN2 before the sisters are about to play their doubles champ match. I'm so glad no one booed when they came out & I still hope they win.

drakulie
09-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I second that.

When does simply appologizing on a BLOG makes everything right again?

Ironically, she already knew she's doing something wrong to attract that kind of attention. She's been there long enough, is an adult now and at her level, you'd expect some dignity and respect so things like this don't even happen.

post-match interview in FO 2009: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-05-30/200905301243674770687.html

It doesn't "just kind of happens" like she says... you're responsible for your actions.

Good stuff.

For me, I put my money where my mouth is, contacted the USTA and cancelled my membership. Along with a cancellation, I inculded an "apology" to them, citing I couldn't support an organization that puts so little value on a woman who is being paid very little money, and taking that kind of abuse from a Giant of the game. Serena is not in any way shape or form above the rules, or the game of tennis. The WTA/ITF/USTA IMO sank pretty low on this one.

Grigollif1
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I don`t want to generilize it, but I lived there for a long time. And I bet most of the people doing the judging and the political correctness bid. Are part of that fake repressive part of the American culture, where we are all living in a little fable cookie cut world. With the `good morning my lovely neighboor` `have a nice day` No wonder why all that repressed anger comes out in many ways. Specially in judging others from the Net.

If I was Serena, I would expect an apology from the lines woman. I have seen tennis for years, I have watch pretty much all there is to watch in tennis historically and I have never seen such a random stupid call at a big event. As an athlete you dedicate your life towards goals, you problably wake up every morning working and concentrating in how to achieve them. Only to be hit by such a random call. I and problably every Man player would reacted worse and it would be considered natural. Agassi has done it, Sampras has asked if the umpire was on dope ? Mcernoe ( not even going there too obvios) Connors called the umpire an abortion and people thought it was pretty and party of the show, during the 1991 US open.

Serena curses, and suddenly she is a real threat. There is such a double standard. People can`t seem to get their personal views on her out of the question. Again, just pathetic...

deltox
09-14-2009, 09:39 AM
well, as many know i am a serenhater. but this is not on the menu for todays post.

let me first say that she did only one thing wrong during this fit of rage. She communicated a threat. In my opinion, all else was fair game as my boy roddick, jmac and others before them have spewed more profanities than she did in those few seconds.

let me clarify a few points here as i see them

1. Serena was obviously already worked up and frustrated by losing to Kim.

2. Ive watched the videos at every angle they have shown and i can see where it would be hella close, but i cant see it clearly so i have to assume it was REALLLLY close. at such a big stage in a tourney if it was thatttt close, i say dont call it.

3. The WTA could have made this all better by suspending serena for say 1 month (which everyone knows serena wouldnt have been terribly upset about), but instead they drop the ball and fine her 10,500.00

4. The ITF (Grand Slam tennis) has yet to rule on the situation and proably wont til after the conclusion of the USO + a couple days.

5. Serena then proceeded to lie about her behevior on court to the umpires and then again in the press conference.

with all things there weighed out id say the WTA recourse for her actions were to small and inadequate. i think her recourse was immature and spiteful, and sadly as some have stated a blog entry cannot cover a formal apology, although she could simply make a single statement to ESPN or any like stations and that would suffice. She will almost certainly be heavily fined or possibly suspended from the AO by the ITF.

But all this talk of lifetime suspensions and year long suspensions are insane. I hate saying this but on that bigga stage, in front of that many people, losing on your home turf while competing would make me frustrated as well.

be patient, the ITF has yet to finish with this situation, but i can assure you no more than one event will be taken away and thats not likely to happen either.

malakas
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Monday, September 14, 2009

Press Statement Amendment
Hey guys!!!

Xxxx,

S

wow she must have been really frightened for losing her prize money/points to throw down her face and make this.So it's good.But good start!

She didn't do this in a press,while she seems to be in love with the media :rolleyes:
She didn't say I'm sorry loud and clear..but I would like to apologise.This is different for me.
This is supposed to be an apology to the lineswoman and YET she spends half the time talking about herself and how good she is.

So,good step in the right direction Serena.Well done.But not enough.

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM
well, as many know i am a serenhater. but this is not on the menu for todays post.

let me first say that she did only one thing wrong during this fit of rage. She communicated a threat. In my opinion, all else was fair game as my boy roddick, jmac and others before them have spewed more profanities than she did in those few seconds.

let me clarify a few points here as i see them

1. Serena was obviously already worked up and frustrated by losing to Kim.

2. Ive watched the videos at every angle they have shown and i can see where it would be hella close, but i cant see it clearly so i have to assume it was REALLLLY close. at such a big stage in a tourney if it was thatttt close, i say dont call it.

3. The WTA could have made this all better by suspending serena for say 1 month (which everyone knows serena wouldnt have been terribly upset about), but instead they drop the ball and fine her 10,500.00

4. The ITF (Grand Slam tennis) has yet to rule on the situation and proably wont til after the conclusion of the USO + a couple days.

5. Serena then proceeded to lie about her behevior on court to the umpires and then again in the press conference.

with all things there weighed out id say the WTA recourse for her actions were to small and inadequate. i think her recourse was immature and spiteful, and sadly as some have stated a blog entry cannot cover a formal apology, although she could simply make a single statement to ESPN or any like stations and that would suffice. She will almost certainly be heavily fined or possibly suspended from the AO by the ITF.

But all this talk of lifetime suspensions and year long suspensions are insane. I hate saying this but on that bigga stage, in front of that many people, losing on your home turf while competing would make me frustrated as well.

be patient, the ITF has yet to finish with this situation, but i can assure you no more than one event will be taken away and thats not likely to happen either.

Good levelheaded post.

Enigma_87
09-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I don`t want to generilize it, but I lived there for a long time. And I bet most of the people doing the judging and the political correctness bid. Are part of that fake repressive part of the American culture, where we are all living in a little fable cookie cut world. With the `good morning my lovely neighboor` `have a nice day` No wonder why all that repressed anger comes out in many ways. Specially in judging others from the Net.

If I was Serena, I would expect an apology from the lines woman. I have seen tennis for years, I have watch pretty much all there is to watch in tennis historically and I have never seen such a random stupid call at a big event. As an athlete you dedicate your life towards goals, you problably wake up every morning working and concentrating in how to achieve them. Only to be hit by such a random call. I and problably every Man player would reacted worse and it would be considered natural. Agassi has done it, Sampras has asked if the umpire was on dope ? Mcernoe ( not even going there too obvios) Connors called the umpire an abortion and people thought it was pretty and party of the show, during the 1991 US open.

Serena curses, and suddenly she is a real threat. There is such a double standard. People can`t seem to get their personal vies on her out of the question. Again, just pathetic...

So I guess you would have no problem if on a TV show, that is televised all across the globe, a certain man issues death threats to his host.

Did Agassi, Connors or Sampras ever though of killing a linesman or an umpire? Did any of them said that out loud?

Hewitt was foot faulted on BP against Federer at the USO, did he threatened the linesman?

malakas
09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Apology accepted!!!

sorry babbette but this is complete bull.The lineswoman according to you,should stand up and shouting back at Serena?????Are you serious??

and of course the lineswoman cares and gives a f*ck,as you put it.She had to endure this in front of million people watching,her family and children.

Think sometimes.

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
She will issue a full public apology following the doubles final, bank on it.

canadave
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm of the mind that there's been a bit of an overreaction to Serena's outburst (I mean really--criminal charges? Permanent Grand Slam bans? Come on....) But, that being said, I think this is a pretty tepid and lame apology. Should've done it in front of cameras, personally, rather than making a blog post on her website, and it should've been a day earlier.

drakulie
09-14-2009, 09:45 AM
As an athlete you dedicate your life towards goals, you problably wake up every morning working and concentrating in how to achieve them.

Too bad she forgot to read the rule book when she was dedicating all this time to playing tennis.

jorel
09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
sounds like a press release from her PR guy

Enigma_87
09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm of the mind that there's been a bit of an overreaction to Serena's outburst (I mean really--criminal charges? Permanent Grand Slam bans? Come on....) But, that being said, I think this is a pretty tepid and lame apology. Should've done it in front of cameras, personally, rather than making a blog post on her website, and it should've been a day earlier.

So if I say to you in front of 20 000 people that I will smother you with a tennis ball in your throat and kill you, you would have no problem whatsoever and this is not a criminal offense? Really?

todd03blown
09-14-2009, 09:51 AM

x1000000000000000000000000

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 09:51 AM
So if I say to you in front of 20 000 people that I will smother you with a tennis ball in your throat and kill you, you would have no problem whatsoever and this is not a criminal offense? Really?

If we got in trouble for everything we said/threatened to do when we were p!ssed off, I'd be in jail for life right now, if not worse. Don't act as if you've never gotten angry and threatened bodily harm to someone else. Get off the high horse.

Grigollif1
09-14-2009, 09:52 AM
So I guess you would have no problem if on a TV show, that is televised all across the globe, a certain man issues death threats to his host.

Did Agassi, Connors or Sampras ever though of killing a linesman or an umpire? Did any of them said that out loud?

Hewitt was foot faulted on BP against Federer at the USO, did he threatened the linesman?

Are you serious, you must be laughing writing this post, I can`t beleive you. She was cursing to the lines woman. I have said many times to opponets when ****ed, things such as `I am gonna to destroy you` or soemthing. We would have many sports professionals in jail if cursing used in the competition setting were taking literally. Boxing would cease to exist.

Not even in sports, it happens everywhere people curse and say things not to be taken literally all the time all the time. There is a little important word here called context

mcshift
09-14-2009, 09:53 AM
I agree that this was very fake...wouldnt be surprised if this wasnt even written by her and that its just to save her image.

MagPro
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I dont know if this was discussed but, was it actually a foot fault? I didnt think from the replay it was. Johnny Mac didnt seem to think so either? If it was an over zealous line call. I would have been ****ed too.

Enigma_87
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
If we got in trouble for everything we said/threatened to do when we were p!ssed off, I'd be in jail for life right now, if not worse. Don't act as if you've never gotten angry and threatened bodily harm to someone else. Get off the high horse.

Um, hello? Death threat? It's a criminal offense in my country? Don't know where you live, but I'm pretty sure that in the USA where the action took place it's a criminal offense as well.

it's not like a regular **** outburst or a regular curse.

Are you serious, you must be laughing writing this post, I can`t beleive you. She was cursing to the lines woman. I have said many times to opponets when ****ed, things such as `I am gonna to destroy you` or soemthing. We would have many sports professionals in jail if cursing used in the competition setting were taking literally. Boxing would cease to exist.

Not even in sports, it happens everywhere people curse and say things not to be taken literally all the time all the time. There is a little important word here called context

Yes, so a 80 kg woman with at racket in her hand, talking about killing you(being 1 feet shorter and 20 kg lighter) is called context? And you are positive that a linesman won't feel threatened physically taking in mind adrenaline and the heat of the moment? It's not a regular curse mate. Far from it.

MagPro
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree that this was very fake...wouldnt be surprised if this wasnt even written by her and that its just to save her image.

of course! When ever is a apology sincere? Everyone does it!

obanaghan
09-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Too little too late. Kinda like telling Rosie O'Donnell that you are sorry, sorry that she is overweight.

Apologies must be sincere and she appears to be going through the motions but she had her Mel Gibson and Michael Richards moment. In these type of outbursts is there really an apology that would satisfy most folks? I doubt it.

Mel Gibson was already a suspected anti-Semite and after his drunk driving arrest he is known as one.

Michael Richards will never live down his racist diatribe.

Serena will have to hope her talent can get her through but she will never win a PR battle on this.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 09:57 AM
'Ree is sorry that ya'll got offended. THat's all.

drakulie
09-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Were you in those instances in a position of power such as, Serena was when she did this? Don't think so.

When you did this, were millions of people watching you belittle the person you were threatening? Don't think so.

When you did this, were there 20,000 fans in the arena at the time you were making these threatening statements? Don't think so.

As related to this issue, was your opponent, on a level playing field as you? Don't think so.

JankovicFan
09-14-2009, 10:01 AM
i don't have another request, if you are going to change what you said in a press conference, have the decency and balls to do it publicly in another press conference. addressing it in a blog? that's not an apology, that's gutless and ********.Well, actually, she didn't write it and didn't even do the typing personally. In person, it wouldn't play so well. A personal blog was hardly the vehicle for an apology, but I understand that blog has a bazillion subscribers, kind of "reetard central".

Keifers
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Okay. That's a start.

She needs to do an in-person apology to the USTA officials and most especially to the lineswoman.

I just wonder if deep down she really is remorseful or is she doing it simply because her stock with the tour and sponsors is plummeting every second. Given her history for deflecting blame and never accountable to anything, I'm thinking it's the former which is a shame.

r,
eagle

I'd repeat... apology is nice, smart and welcomed, I'd suggest Serena call a conference, phone the lineperson, send flowers and whatever, anyhow fine is there, suspension (hmmm sounds too much).
I agree. It's a good start but some more is needed.

I'd like to see her call the lineswoman directly and apologize to her sincerely and unequivocally. And then in a live press conference, apologize sincerely and unequivocally, without any excuses, reasons, hesitation, shading, attempts to "move on", etc.

This is a Championship Point for you, Serena. Commit to it and do it fully. (This is not the time for half measures. Half measures won't get it done.)

It's not too late. Do it fully today.

LetFirstServe
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I just skimmed the posts...but is this thread receiving the typical "'i apologize' isnt good enough" responses or "too late" etc.?

Sometimes reading here is more entertaining than the actual news itself.

chico9166
09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Were you in those instances in a position of power such as, Serena was when she did this? Don't think so.

When you did this, were millions of people watching you belittle the person you were threatening? Don't think so.

When you did this, were there 20,000 fans in the arena at the time you were making these threatening statements? Don't think so.

As related to this issue, was your opponent, on a level playing field as you? Don't think so.

Yep,

Typical of many pro athletes, they accept/crave the fame and fortune of their position in society, without the accountability that accompanies said postion. Anyone who actually saw the smugness, and the contempt, Serena exibited in the press conference, couldn't possibly take her apology seriously.

Fedfan1234
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't see any reason to keep blaming Serena for this mistake. This apology is good enough for me, I will never like her though. I never did, in my opinion she just never seemed to have a very kind personality. Ofcourse I don't really know her, but it is just something about her I don't like. Venus seems to have a much kinder personality, not that I am a fan of her but at least I am not hoping she loses at every tournament.

Azzurri
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Frankly, I don't really care about the hoopla involved here and actually believe that the incident is not that bad a thing (we all loved Mac's outbursts and the sport made money on them). Nor do I want to hop on the blame Serena bandwagon.

However, if you're going to apologize just plain apologize. No pseudo-apologies.

"I want to apologize" is not an apology. You're just stating that you may apologize or would apologize.

"I'm sorry" is an apology. "I apologize" is an apology.

Language pet peeve.

you continue to amaze me of what a strange poster you are. You think it's not that bad, yet you "bash" her for an insincere apology? STRANGE as usual.

AR15
09-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Good move by Serena.

She couldn't have waited any longer.

vicnan
09-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's the Serena apology/apologists page in the USO site:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2009-09-14/200909141252973141281.html

Congratulations to the people who maintain this page. They have done a wonderful job. Not a single message that is even remotely critical of Serena's behavior has been allowed to get in. Bravo! Suppress people's voices and call it a fan comments and people's reaction. USTA works exactly like a democracy. Way to go, USTA!

You know now that they are not going to do squat about punishing Serena beyond the peanut $10,500 fine yesterday. No suspensions, rebukes, nothing.

May be they will award her the Best Sportsperson of US Open 2009.

CaptainInsano
09-14-2009, 10:58 AM
^^^ Wow! Agree with vicnan. Impressive how all comments are... ... encouraging... makes it look like she's a great person after all.

I guess I must be mistaken. Serena must be a realy pro and someone to look up to as a... leader... ... ... ... ... ... ...

kanamit
09-14-2009, 11:01 AM
She apologizes on her blog but even when asked, she refuses to do so in public. She sounds really contrite.

Henry Kaspar
09-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Here's the Serena apology/apologists page in the USO site:

Congratulations to the people who maintain this page. They have done a wonderful job. Not a single message that is even remotely critical of Serena's behavior has been allowed to get in.

Actually I wrote several comments about how dumb and unprofessional the behavior of the US Open offiicials had been, but strangely they never got posted.

Henry Kaspar
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
She apologizes on her blog but even when asked, she refuses to do so in public. She sounds really contrite.

We need tears. Bucketloads of tears. Real ones. Now. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

vicnan
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I find it funny that Serena's supporters do not get the fact that this is not really about Serena as a person, whom I know little about, but her despicable behavior as a tennis player on the premier tennis court of a premier grand slam event and the impact this behavior has on the dignity and decorum of the sport and in fact the future of tennis. It's the WTA, not WWE.

baek57
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
i hope everywhere she plays the audience boo's her until she retires.

TennisDawg
09-14-2009, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=vicnan;3937242]Here's the Serena apology/apologists page in the USO site:

Congratulations to the people who maintain this page. They have done a wonderful job. Not a single message that is even remotely critical of Serena's behavior has been allowed to get in. Bravo! Suppress people's voices and call it a fan comments and people's reaction. USTA works exactly like a democracy. Way to go, USTA!

You know now that they are not going to do squat about punishing Serena beyond the peanut $10,500 fine yesterday. No suspensions, rebukes, nothing.

Agree $10500.00. Let's see (yawn) do you accept Mastercard or Visa? I didn't here an I'm sorry in that pathetic BS press conference. I am glad that a baby's Mama 2 1/2 years after retiring beat this loud mouth whiner. It just shows that you can't always go into a Major 30 lbs overweight and expect to win. A bad example to all the kids, Serena stated. Any parent holding Serena up as an example even before this match has no clue. Next time bring a clown suit Serena.

gashandburn
09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, actually, she didn't write it and didn't even do the typing personally. In person, it wouldn't play so well. A personal blog was hardly the vehicle for an apology, but I understand that blog has a bazillion subscribers, kind of "reetard central".

huh? and you know that how?

canadave
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Really. It was a sports event, not the streets. It was a heat of the moment thing, inexcusable, ridiculous, probably suspendable....but not criminal. I think players in the NFL say something along the lines of "I'm going to kill you" to each other about 10,000 times a weekend.

And by the way I've posted plenty of times before about how little I like Serena and her whole family. They are truly unsportsman-like people, from top to bottom. But this was not a criminal thing.

If she had hit the lineswoman with her racquet, different story. That's assault.

Raiden.Kaminari
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Really. It was a sports event, not the streets. It was a heat of the moment thing, inexcusable, ridiculous, probably suspendable....but not criminal. I think players in the NFL say something along the lines of "I'm going to kill you" to each other about 10,000 times a weekend.

And by the way I've posted plenty of times before about how little I like Serena and her whole family. They are truly unsportsman-like people, from top to bottom. But this was not a criminal thing.

If she had hit the lineswoman with her racquet, different story. That's assault.

The last time I checked, tennis is supposed to be a "civilized" sport compared to football.

Nothing can really excuse the language she used. And did you see her appearance on MTV, making fun of "lines?"

Until I see her apologizing in person to the lineswoman, I want to see her suspended for a year.

JankovicFan
09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
huh? and you know that how?Good catch. I don't believe for a second that Serena has the time or interest to maintain that blog, and I don't believe she is psychologically capable of doing that kind of turnaround and coming up with such elegant wording. That had to be a professionally written piece, and I believe it would have galled Serena no end to type it in herself.

topspin
09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
This is the most pathetic attempt at an apology. She should apologize to the lines person in person as well as issue a sincere apology to the fans. Technically, she hasn't even apologized since she worded it in a way so as to save her ego. The words "I want to apologize" are not enough. She needs to swallow her pride and say "I apologize". But only if she actually sincerely feels remorse. This is something I doubt. Her personality over the years do not paint her as a humble and sincere person. This is just damage control to prevent more damage to her career. She should still get banned from the AO and face a more significant fine.

Dutch-Guy
09-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Even if she apologized after the incident,people that hate her are still gonna hate.Good move from her.Now let's move the [bleep] on.

kanamit
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Even if she apologized after the incident,people that hate her are still gonna hate.Good move from her.Now let's move the [bleep] on.

I'm sure there are many people here who are using the incident to pursue hater agendas that they've had for some time. In my case, I can tell you that I was not a fan of Serena before this, but that my opinion of her has changed big time. I once thought she was a self-centered, spoiled and talented tennis player. Now I think she's self-centered to the point of being almost sociopathic, indecent and completely out of touch with basic principles of human behavior. My passive dislike of her is slowly being transformed into active dislike.

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 11:34 AM
You guys are really something!!! BEFORE she apologized, you all kept talking about how she should apologize, etc. AND NOW that she has, you all say it's not good enough!

You guys are hopeless!

kanamit
09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
You guys are really something!!! BEFORE she apologized, you all kept talking about how she should apologize, etc. AND NOW that she has, you all say it's not good enough!

You guys are hopeless!

On the contrary, I was willing to say let's move on. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt about the sincerity of her apology. After the presentation of the doubles title, it's clear her amended press release is not an accurate reflection of her opinions.

Stinkdyr
09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
There he goes lying again. We can all see plainly that the beast ain't "a woman!"

topspin
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM

You guys are hopeless!

Let's see her actually apologize in an interview and use the words "I'm sorry" instead of issuing a statement through her website. If someone is truly and sincerely sorry for something they did, then they would openly apologize instead of weasel around it just for damage control.

Face it though, she's not exactly sincere. Did you see the interview before the tournament where she was asked about the seeding? She was asked if she felt like #1 but she said something like 'no no i'm #2' and then burst out laughing. Total arrogance! This incident is showing her true colors. I'm glad it happened that way the world can see what I and others already knew years ago.

Casticus
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Apology accepted!!!

.... Half of your posts are attacks on people... Be it Federer, his wife (oh look at her toes!), people on this forum, people's kids on this forum( Originally Posted by babbette "Your daughter is such a drama queen.."), the lineswoman that was just doing her job. Why do you do that?

precision2b
09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
This is a quote I read on Serena’s blog today, and I agree with the quote.

“Sorry? I don't think so. Looks like that only reason you are sorry is because of the outrage from your sponsors. I am hoping most of your sponsors give you what you deserve.... cancelled conntracts!”

It doesn’t take that long to collect your thoughts…

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey, I personally think her & her father could have all been a lot more humble & modest yrs ago when they first started coming on the scene, but that's in the past now. That's just her personality, an arrogant diva, but so are a LOT of other people in this world...so be it.

I think we all keep hoping she'll do a little more than she does, but she apparently doesn't quite do as much as we think she should so, that's how life goes. I personally have too much of a life to be furious about it personally.

Dutch-Guy
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm sure there are many people here who are using the incident to pursue hater agendas that they've had for some time. In my case, I can tell you that I was not a fan of Serena before this, but that my opinion of her has changed big time. I once thought she was a self-centered, spoiled and talented tennis player. Now I think she's self-centered to the point of being almost sociopathic, indecent and completely out of touch with basic principles of human behavior. My passive dislike of her is slowly being transformed into active dislike.
I get your point but some people are going ape***** like she killed that lineswoman.My reaction 'd have been worse if i were her.People wanted her to apologize,which she did but apparently it's not enough.Meh.

Purostaff
09-14-2009, 11:47 AM
it's easy to write an apology..

I need to see her face while she apologizes

topspin
09-14-2009, 11:47 AM
^Exactly.

And her PR manager should also apologize for trying to block the camera from showing Serena laughing after the match. She did not exactly look troubled. She's got real issues.

vapor guy
09-14-2009, 11:50 AM
In her post match press conference, she was asked what it was exactly that she said to the linesperson. Her response was the she "didn't remember".
Possible? maybe
Likely? no
Personal responsibility? not close

vicnan
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
If it was a sincere apology and she in fact meant it (even if she didn't write it), why did she have such a hard time responding to JMac when he asked her, twice? How hard is it really to say 'sorry for my overreaction the other day and I apologize to the lineswoman, Clijsters, the officials, the USTA and the fans' -- that took me about 15 seconds to write, and it takes less time to say it. What, cat got her tongue? What she issued was hardly a sincere apology.

If you are willing to suspend disbelief and accept her apology, that is your choice. But that is not mine. So please spare the bullsh*t about no apology being sufficient.

timeisonmyside
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Yep,

Typical of many pro athletes, they accept/crave the fame and fortune of their position in society, without the accountability that accompanies said postion. Anyone who actually saw the smugness, and the contempt, Serena exibited in the press conference, couldn't possibly take her apology seriously.

Agree. IMO, that press conference made her seem even worse as she was trying to deny what happened and avoid taking responsibility.

chess9
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes, that's a very good start. I hope she wrote to the US Open folks as well.

I wish her well from now on. I've always been a big fan of hers, and it's pained me to see her in this position. Acknowledging she was wrong is the right thing to do.

-Robert

CyBorg
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
you continue to amaze me of what a strange poster you are. You think it's not that bad, yet you "bash" her for an insincere apology? STRANGE as usual.

As mentioned in my post, it's a language pet peeve. I couldn't care less what happens to Serena. Her post may have been fully sincere, but the way she worded it is very amusing.

World Beater
09-14-2009, 12:09 PM
i am not a serena fan by any stretch of imagination...but i dont think serena should be banned from other tournaments.

serena should have been defaulted and probably thrown out of doubles...but that is about it.

she does sth like this a second time...its a different story.

dallastxtennis
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — Serena Williams' profanity-laced, finger-pointing tirade at a U.S. Open linesperson drew a $10,000 fine Sunday, and more punishment could follow from a broader investigation into what the head of the tournament called her "threatening manner."
The fine — not quite 3% of the $350,000 in prize money Williams earned by reaching the semifinals — is the maximum on-site penalty that can be issued for unsportsmanlike conduct at a Grand Slam tournament.

WOMEN'S SEMIS: Williams loses, penalized for outburst
WOMEN'S DOUBLES: Williams sisters roll, without a fuss

"The average individual would look at that and say, 'A $10,000 fine for what she did? What are you guys, crazy?' The answer is: the process isn't over," tournament director Jim Curley said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Bill Babcock, the top administrator for Grand Slam tournaments, will review what happened Saturday night, when Williams yelled at a linesperson who called a foot fault with the defending champion two points away from losing to Kim Clijsters in the semifinals.

If Babcock determines Williams committed a "major offense," she could be fined all of her prize money from the tournament.

Williams also was docked $500 for smashing her racket after the first set of the match. Because she was issued a warning then, her later actions resulted in the loss of a point.

The foot fault resulted in a double-fault, which moved Clijsters one point from victory. Williams then was penalized a point for her outburst; because it happened to come on match point, it ended the semifinal with Clijsters ahead 6-4, 7-5.

Babcock did not immediately respond to requests for comment. But Curley said the inquiry probably would include reviewing TV footage, checking additional audio feeds from courtside microphones and interviewing Williams, the linesperson, the chair umpire and possibly spectators.

"What she did was unacceptable. It's unacceptable behavior under any circumstances. When you're on the court, and you are waving your racket toward a linesperson and using profanity, it's just simply unacceptable," Curley told the AP. "When you look at the tape, it's pretty clear that the way she approached the linesperson, with her racket and in that manner, it was a threatening manner. It certainly was."

The names of linespersons are not disclosed as a matter of practice at the tournament.

He also said the tournament considered — and decided against — preventing Williams and her older sister Venus from participating in the women's doubles final Monday. Venus put in some work on a U.S. Open practice court Sunday; Serena wasn't with her.

Serena Williams released a statement through a public relations firm, acknowledging that "in the heat of battle I let my passion and emotion get the better of me and as a result handled the situation poorly."

On Monday, Williams issued a second statement, this time with an apology:

"I want to amend my press statement of yesterday, and want to make it clear as possible — I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lines woman, Kim Clijsters, the USTA and mostly tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst. I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity, and I admit when I'm wrong. I need to make it clear to all young people that I handled myself inappropriately and it's not the way to act — win or lose, good call or bad call in any sport, in any manner.

"I like to lead by example. We all learn from experiences both good and bad, I will learn and grow from this, and be a better person as a result."

On Saturday night, after what may be recalled as the most significant foot fault in tennis history, Williams paused, retrieved a ball to serve again and then stopped. She stepped toward the official, screaming, cursing and shaking the ball at her.

"If I could, I would take this ... ball and shove it down your ... throat," Williams said, according to a tennis official who watched a replay Saturday night.

The official also said Williams used the word "kill." The official declined to be identified because the tape was still being reviewed.

Fans began booing and whistling, making it difficult to hear the entirety of what Williams said — and she refused to discuss specifics afterward at a news conference. An AP reporter — provided access to replays — could not verify Williams used the word "kill."

When Williams turned her back, the line judge went over to the chair umpire to report what was going on. The line judge then returned to her seat, and Williams pointed and began walking toward her. The line judge then headed back to the chair umpire's stand. By now, tournament referee Brian Earley was on the court, too.

Earley could be heard asking the linesperson what Williams said.

That's when Williams walked over and said to the line judge: "Are you scared? Because I said I would hit you? I'm sorry, but there's a lot of people who've said way worse."

Earley again asked the linesperson what Williams said. Whatever the linesperson said, her reply seemed to startle Williams, who said: "I didn't say I would kill you. Are you serious? Are you serious? I didn't say that." The line judge then said, "Yes."

The episode dominated conversation at the U.S. Open on Sunday, including whether the line judge should have made the call in the first place. Foot faults are rarely called at this level, particularly in possibly the final moments of such a significant match.

"In my opinion, you can't call a foot fault there. Just out of question. Can't do it. It was so close. Not as if it was an obvious foot fault — it was minuscule," TV commentator John McEnroe said. "I've seen Serena come back from that position a dozen times against top-flight opponents. The match was not over."

The chairman and CEO of the women's tennis tour, Stacey Allaster, issued a statement calling Williams' conduct "inappropriate and unprofessional."

"No matter what the circumstances, no player should be allowed to engage in such behavior without suffering consequences," Allaster said. "I have spoken with the USTA about this matter and I agree with the action they have taken."

bad_call
09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Serena called me and apologized in spite of my interrupting her to tell her that I'm not the lines woman who doesn't understand english. :confused:

projoe
09-14-2009, 12:16 PM
If they don't ban her for a sizable period of time and fine her seriously (up to 250,000) the sport of tennis is irreparably harmed.

a bit melodramatic:confused:

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
The last time I checked, tennis is supposed to be a "civilized" sport compared to football.

Nothing can really excuse the language she used. And did you see her appearance on MTV, making fun of "lines?"

Until I see her apologizing in person to the lineswoman, I want to see her suspended for a year.

Oh get a grip. Does it really matter what YOU want? :roll:

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
not accepted.

she need to be banned forever from WTA.

Good luck pursuing that one.

CyBorg
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Serena called me and apologized in spite of my interrupting her to tell her that I'm not the lines woman who doesn't understand english. :confused:

No she called you and said that she wants to apologize. :)

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Let's see her actually apologize in an interview and use the words "I'm sorry" instead of issuing a statement through her website.

She owes you nothing. You are lucky to get an apology, as many sports stars do not give a flying f*ck about the noise from hostile "fans."

timeisonmyside
09-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Why are people so swayed by words? My opinion of Serena was formed by her actions throughout the years, culminating in this most recent tirade. That she issued an apology, whether genuine or not, does not change my opinion.

Grass_for_cows
09-14-2009, 12:45 PM
You'd think Serena killed a lineswoman on the court or something.

And what's with all the people getting personally upset like it's somehow any of their business? If I were the lineswoman, I would find all the "apology not accepted"s far, far ruder and more reprehensible than Serena's direct outburst.

At least a direct insult treats you with dignity.

luishcorreia
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Losing the US Open is punishment enough. The referee had courage to apply the point penalty.

Seeing Kim win the Open was great. Great sportsmanship, great feeling. She deserves it.

c_tennis
09-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Someone once said that Sarena's Dad had no class ... his response ... "who needs class when you got money" ... or something to that affect ... it must run in the family ...

$10,000??? ... You cannot be serious ... that is chump change ... Sarena should be suspended ...

MagPro
09-14-2009, 01:39 PM

You guys are hopeless!

This about sums up a good majority of the *****ing a lot of little girls do on this site!! Lets try to really keep the topic on tennis and our enjoyment of it not the negative aspects. Negative people STFU!

Dave M
09-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Couln't of been a manager or PR person who typed it could it?Or am i being too cynical?

Bilbo
09-14-2009, 03:54 PM
NOW WHAT? Serena apologized PUBLICLY in her post match doubles interview.

What do you guys have to say to that?!!

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 03:59 PM
On ch. 2 (CBS), Serena just verbally apologized LIVE after she won the doubles w/ Venus. This was another apology after the one posted on her site, which was also read right before the doubles match was shown on ESPN2.

All of America should feel even better now! :)

This post was moved & added to this thread.

crazysoccer00
09-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Apology accepted!!!

You are talking about the same lineswoman that called a foot fault in what would be the last game of the semi-finals of the US open right?

Bilbo
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Okay. That's a start.

r,
eagle
She apologized publicly after her doubles match...

Annika
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
She doesn't seem to know about humility or compassion. She should be made to do some community work so she can learn to be humble. I for one will not forget what she did. Even John Mac made me cringe back then; but this is much much worse.

pame
09-14-2009, 07:02 PM
She doesn't seem to know about humility or compassion. She should be made to do some community work so she can learn to be humble. I for one will not forget what she did. Even John Mac made me cringe back then; but this is much much worse.

Sounds like you hoped she WOULDN'T apologise -- that way you could keep nailing her to the cross -- oh wait....

pame
09-14-2009, 07:04 PM
No she called you and said that she wants to apologize. :)

Cyborg, I don't know about Canada, but in UK and various other parts of the English-speaking world, "I want to apologise" is totally as acceptable as "I apologise", and a pretty normal way of phrasing an apology.

paulfreda
09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't believe she is sincere.
I don't believe she feels remorse or empathy for the distress she must have caused that linesperson.
This is a PR statement, plain and simple.

At least her PR agent understands the key issue is her criminal behavior and its effect on the minds of young people who view her as a role model. If it is not punished, what message do the ruling bodies send to these kids ? Actions have no real consequences even when it is a threat of violence ?

Very sad

topspin
09-14-2009, 07:20 PM
On ch. 2 (CBS), Serena just verbally apologized LIVE after she won the doubles w/ Venus. This was another apology after the one posted on her site, which was also read right before the doubles match was shown on ESPN2.

All of America should feel even better now! :)

Verbal

I didn't see it yet. I'm 100% sure it is just damage control at this point. A true apology should have occured IMMEDIATELY after the match.

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I didn't see it yet. I'm 100% sure it is just damage control at this point. A true apology should have occured IMMEDIATELY after the match.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=topnav&category=press#content

topspin
09-14-2009, 07:29 PM
^Link doesn't work outside the US. I'm sure it will be on a video site sooner or later. Anyhow like I said, a true sincere person would apologize right away instead of avoiding questions and lying about remembering what she said. It's obvious she's panicking about possible sanctions by the ITF and by her sponsors.

Deuce
09-14-2009, 09:45 PM
yawn...

like other said, she didn't even bother to put together a press conf.

I suspect the "apology" was only issued after she figured out she was a likely candidate to lose all her prize money and be suspended from a future major or two...

further...the "apology" is really close to the one George S. Patton issued after slapping a soldier.....

sounds like a press release from her PR guy

^Link doesn't work outside the US. I'm sure it will be on a video site sooner or later. Anyhow like I said, a true sincere person would apologize right away instead of avoiding questions and lying about remembering what she said. It's obvious she's panicking about possible sanctions by the ITF and by her sponsors.
^ Right.

Anyone who honestly believes that an 'apology' that is issued at least 24 hours late, begins with "Hey, guys...", and ends with "Xxxxx", to be in any way even remotely sincere, is suffering from a lack of proper brain function.

heftylefty
09-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow...too bad there was not the same outrage during Connors and McEnroe's reign of terror. What happened? Did the Tennis Establishment finally grow a pair?

35ft6
09-14-2009, 10:15 PM
yawn...

like other said, she didn't even bother to put together a press conf.So you dismiss it as a public relations, publicity stunt, then also fault her for not making it a bigger publicity stunt? :confused:

35ft6
09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Wow...too bad there was not the same outrage during Connors and McEnroe's reign of terror. What happened? Did the Tennis Establishment finally grow a pair?They are white and male. It's amusing when people like them, Rush Limbaugh, and Bobby Knight act up, angry white men everywhere sort of identify with them, live vicariously through their anger.

Deuce
09-14-2009, 10:24 PM
They are white and male. It's amusing when people like them, Rush Limbaugh, and Bobby Knight act up, angry white men everywhere sort of identify with them, live vicariously through their anger. ^ Connors' & McEnroe's time was also 25-30 years ago.
It's a different tennis world now - and a different world overall.

There was also Nastase, who was not quite as 'white bread' as Connors & McEnroe.

heftylefty
09-14-2009, 10:30 PM
^ Connors' & McEnroe's time was also 25-30 years ago.
It's a different tennis world now - and a different world overall.

There was also Nastase, who was not quite as 'white bread' as Connors & McEnroe.

What different about the tennis world now? Also, Connors and McEnroe are still celebrated. I suggest you read "Hard Courts"

Deuce
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
What different about the tennis world now?
^ You're joking, right?

Also, Connors and McEnroe are still celebrated. I suggest you read "Hard Courts"
I've been following (and playing) tennis for 3 decades - I know what was happening back then.

There is no way in hell that any tennis player today - no matter their colour or gender - would be able to get away with the stuff that Nastase, Connors & McEnroe were doing back then. That is as clear as it possibly can be.

Keifers
09-14-2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=topnav&category=press#content
I just watched the Serena-Venus post match press conference and I found Serena's comments quite disappointing. She said she wanted to contact the lineswoman, but didn't have the information to, and [anyway] she's ready to move on...

What?? That is so lame. All she has to do is ask the USTA for the lineswoman's telephone number -- AND MAKE THE CALL.

"I would just want to give her a big ol' hug!" doesn't cut it.

Keifers
09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
She may be one of the best tennis players ever, but after her tirade on the court and her behavior afterwards (full of glib self-forgiveness and lame self-justification), in my mind, she's no champion and certainly no role model.

She has cheapened herself and cheapened the sport.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-15-2009, 03:37 AM
^ Right.

Anyone who honestly believes that an 'apology' that is issued at least 24 hours late, begins with "Hey, guys...", and ends with "Xxxxx", to be in any way even remotely sincere, is suffering from a lack of proper brain function.

Human nature is an alien concept to those of your ilk; there is no time clock on sincerity of an apology. Thoughts such as regret, self-reflection, etc. all enter the mind, and there is no "perfect"/Ivory Tower time for that.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-15-2009, 03:50 AM
There is no way in hell that any tennis player today - no matter their colour or gender - would be able to get away with the stuff that Nastase, Connors & McEnroe were doing back then. That is as clear as it possibly can be.

Yet your stellar memory cannot recall the kid-gloves treatment of Hewitt's racist tirade against Blake & a linesperson at the 2001 USO--a full display of his embracing one of the worst moral cancers of humankind--making Serena'a act appear to be hugs and kisses.

What did Hewitt receive? Instant fines and threats of further action like Serena? NO. No disciplinary action whatsoever.

Funny how THAT is swept under the carpet of memory of certain individuals attempting (and failing) to demonize Serena.

COPEY
09-15-2009, 04:28 AM
You make too much sense, TV. You have to feel like you're on an alien planet lol.

Rabbit
09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
She may be one of the best tennis players ever, but after her tirade on the court and her behavior afterwards (full of glib self-forgiveness and lame self-justification), in my mind, she's no champion and certainly no role model.

She has cheapened herself and cheapened the sport.

This is the best comment I've seen on the subject.

Yet your stellar memory cannot recall the kid-gloves treatment of Hewitt's racist tirade against Blake & a linesperson at the 2001 USO--a full display of his embracing one of the worst moral cancers of humankind--making Serena'a act appear to be hugs and kisses.

What did Hewitt receive? Instant fines and threats of further action like Serena? NO. No disciplinary action whatsoever.

Funny how THAT is swept under the carpet of memory of certain individuals attempting (and failing) to demonize Serena.

No, there were some distinct differences in the two incidents. Hewitt's comments were about as stupid as one can be. If I remember correctly, Hewitt's main offense was to say "look at him" in reference to the linesman being black and giving Blake a call because of that. There is no doubt that Hewitt's comment was plain stupidity.

However....Hewitt did not threaten the linesman by saying

"I would take this %^&*ing ball and stuff it down your %^&*ing throat and kill you" and then follow that up with who knows what.

And, in the 4 decades I've been watching tennis, I've seen it all. I've seen Jimmy Connors call an umpire "an abortion"...I've seen John McEnroe berate an umpire's intelligence, his family lineage, and his very right to be called a human being...he's called umps jerks, bums, and everything else.

But..........I've never seen John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, Ilie Nastase, or any other pro, even Jeff Tarango go the the extreme that Williams did.

And this is not about Williams gender or ethnicity. Jeff Tarango was hit hard with both suspension and penalties and rightfully so. And all he did was question the umpire's integrity. He never threatened him with violence. Andre Agassi who was a friend of Tarango's said that he told Tarango he had gone over the line and Agassi agreed with the penalties.

Serena Williams called Justine Henin a "%^&*ing b!tch" and was not fined. That is acceptable, well not really but whatever. Prefix that with "I'd stuff a ball down your throat and kill you" and it's a whole different ball game.

There in lies your difference.

Azzurri
09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
^^^ Wow! Agree with vicnan. Impressive how all comments are... ... encouraging... makes it look like she's a great person after all.

I guess I must be mistaken. Serena must be a realy pro and someone to look up to as a... leader... ... ... ... ... ... ...

learn to read...not everyone has been "encouraging" towards Serena.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
No, there were some distinct differences in the two incidents. Hewitt's comments were about as stupid as one can be. If I remember correctly, Hewitt's main offense was to say "look at him" in reference to the linesman being black and giving Blake a call because of that. There is no doubt that Hewitt's comment was plain stupidity.

Racism is more than "plain stupidity. "Plain stupidity" does not carry the legacy of centuies of subjugation, disrespect and other intolerable abuses. The moral cancer of racism does, and Hewitt's tirade was seen for what it was: stated racism in action. Yes, observers were shocked and offended, yet no punitive action was taken, which carries the stench of official acceptance, when the PTB (with all of their claims of tolerance and singing the praises of King and Ashe) should have eliminated Hewitt for such a monumental offense.

...again, no punitive action was taken.

...again, making Serena's non-violent act seem loving in comparison.

And, in the 4 decades I've been watching tennis, I've seen it all. I've seen Jimmy Connors call an umpire "an abortion"...I've seen John McEnroe berate an umpire's intelligence, his family lineage, and his very right to be called a human being...he's called umps jerks, bums, and everything else.

But..........I've never seen John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Ivan Lendl, Ilie Nastase, or any other pro, even Jeff Tarango go the the extreme that Williams did.

I've watched for decades as well, and Serena's rant pales in comparison to Hewitt's exercise in racial hatred...unless we are now considering Serena's non-threat (as no action was carried out) worse than one of the most destructive kinds of mindsets ever known in human history...

drakulie
09-15-2009, 09:39 AM

What a reach. This post is so wrong on so many levels. I suggest you actually know about a subject before speaking about it. Hewitt made a stupid comment, that's it. he said something like, "look at him", in reference to the line ump being the same color as Blake.

He didn't walk up to him, threaten him, curse at him, repeatedly.

You're a joke.

Bottom line is, Serena is a disgrace, and an embarassment to the WTA. Furthermore, the USTA is also a disgrace for not immediately suspending her.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
What a reach. This post is so wrong on so many levels. I suggest you actually know about a subject before speaking about it. Hewitt made a stupid comment, that's it. he said something like, "look at him", in reference to the line ump being the same color as Blake.

He didn't walk up to him, threaten him, curse at him, repeatedly.

You're a joke.

Bottom line is, Serena is a disgrace, and an embarassment to the WTA. Furthermore, the USTA is also a disgrace for not immediately suspending her.

Try to comment when you can avoid spinning posts to suit hollow arguments, and your oft-posted bias, little boy.

This was not about your imaginary threat, this is about behavior--which in Hewitt's was textook racism (which you pretend does not exist). Too bad your limp spin job failed you.

Annika
09-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Very few people were there to watch the Williams' doubles match. And I think that's how she will be penalized.

rommil
09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Very few people were there to watch the Williams' doubles match. And I think that's how she will be penalized.
Well there were still a lot of people milling in around the grounds, tehn everybody got in for the men's finals. I was there and wanted to see how the people there would react to her when she came out. I didn't recall anybody booing when they came out and when they were introduced.

rommil
09-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Now it's time for Serena to apologize to the viewing public for being subjected in watching her big @ss panties on TV over and over again.

drakulie
09-15-2009, 10:01 AM
This was not about your imaginary threat, this is about behavior--which in Hewitt's was textook racism (which you pretend does not exist). Too bad your limp spin job failed you.

Ok :roll:

Then in that case, Serena's actions were also racist. She was racist towards a poor little asian woman, and threatening, which Hewitt's wasn't, "little girl".

rommil
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't doubt it if it were a white player saying those words to a black linesperson, Jesse and Al would be courtside in the next changeover.

Henry Kaspar
09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Racism is more than "plain stupidity. "Plain stupidity" does not carry the legacy of centuies of subjugation, disrespect and other intolerable abuses. The moral cancer of racism does, and Hewitt's tirade was seen for what it was: stated racism in action. Yes, observers were shocked and offended, yet no punitive action was taken, which carries the stench of official acceptance, when the PTB (with all of their claims of tolerance and singing the praises of King and Ashe) should have eliminated Hewitt for such a monumental offense.

I've watched for decades as well, and Serena's rant pales in comparison to Hewitt's exercise in racial hatred...unless we are now considering Serena's non-threat (as no action was carried out) worse than one of the most destructive kinds of mindsets ever known in human history...

Hewitt is an intense tennis player who acted stupid, Serena is an intense tennis player who acted stupid, both kinda made up for it, tennis players often act stupid, it's pointless to take every word of them literallly, especially when spoken the heat of actiony, it's even more even more pointless to try compare which word spoken in the heat of action may have been more inappropirate, and -- it is time to move on.

drakulie
09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Hewitt is an intense tennis player who acted stupid, Serena is an intense tennis player who acted stupid, both kinda made up for it, tennis players often act stupid, it's pointless to take every word of them literallly, especially when spoken the heat of actiony, it's even more even more pointless to try compare which word spoken in the heat of action may have been more inappropirate, and -- it is time to move on.

I agree both said very stupid things, however, one took it to another level and threatened another human being. Serena is in a "position of power" with her status in tennis, and "main attraction" of this match>>> the lineswoman is an after-thought. Sadly, she walked over with racquet waving it in a thretening manner at another human being, screaming at her at the top of her lungs profanities and threats. She did this more than once, to someone who was seating beneath her. Hewitt did nothing of the sort.

The players (Serena and lineswoman) in this incident were not on "level playing fields", if you know what I mean.

Serena definitely should have been suspended no later than the following morning, whether she apologized or not. Period.

drwood
09-15-2009, 10:45 AM

You can only move on once the appropriate punishment has been made to match the offense. For example, a situation where a husband who threatens and verbally abuses his wife isn't adequately addressed until proper legal action has been taken -- the proper response by the wife isn't to just "move on".

Once Serena is stripped of her singles and doubles prize money from this tournament, fined an additional $250K and then suspended from the 2010 Australian Open, then it will be time to completely move on.

Henry Kaspar
09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
You can only move on once the appropriate punishment has been made to match the offense. For example, a situation where a husband who threatens and verbally abuses his wife isn't adequately addressed until proper legal action has been taken -- the proper response by the wife isn't to just "move on".

Once Serena is stripped of her singles and doubles prize money from this tournament, fined an additional $250K and then suspended from the 2010 Australian Open, then it will be time to completely move on.

Get a life.

Henry Kaspar
09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree both said very stupid things, however, one took it to another level and threatened another human being. Serena is in a "position of power" with her status in tennis, and "main attraction" of this match>>> the lineswoman is an after-thought. Sadly, she walked over with racquet waving it in a thretening manner at another human being, screaming at her at the top of her lungs profanities and threats. She did this more than once, to someone who was seating beneath her. Hewitt did nothing of the sort.

The players (Serena and lineswoman) in this incident were not on "level playing fields", if you know what I mean.

Serena definitely should have been suspended no later than the following morning, whether she apologized or not. Period.

Get a life.

drwood
09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Get a life.

I have one. Stop trolling.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Ok :roll:

Then in that case, Serena's actions were also racist. She was racist towards a poor little asian woman, and threatening, which Hewitt's wasn't, "little girl".

"F" is the only grade for you, junior. Here is the reason why: Hewitt's disgusting self rants about the race of his two targets--all out in the open--but you want to wave your limp, magic spin stick and transform Serena's tirade into one which had no trace of racism at all.

Try again, boy.

35ft6
09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought what Hewitt did was much worse. I've seen a lot of people in my life totally lose their temper and say they're going to shove something in another person's orifice, and we always understood, "they're angry." But what Hewitt did, if one of my friends did that, I wouldn't hang out with them any more. One is a very generic form of expressing anger in my world. What Hewitt did was much more specific, not just generic s$%t talk I've heard a millions times, but very specific and thought out. With that said, I don't hate the guy.

paulfreda
09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
I thought what Hewitt did was much worse. I've seen a lot of people in my life totally lose their temper and say they're going to shove something in another person's orifice, and we always understood, "they're angry." But what Hewitt did, if one of my friends did that, I wouldn't hang out with them any more. One is a very generic form of expressing anger in my world. What Hewitt did was much more specific, not just generic s$%t talk I've heard a millions times, but very specific and thought out. With that said, I don't hate the guy.

I have a hard time understanding how anyone could think what Hewitt did even approaches what Serena did.

Hewitt suggested that racial bias was involved in a line call.

Serena commited an assault with a [deadly ?] weapon while spewing profanities and then issuing a death threat. And she did it twice.

As I have said before, she would be in jail right now if she'd have done that at the Unisphere or in Manhatten and the lady pressed charges.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
09-16-2009, 03:19 AM

Serena curses, and suddenly she is a real threat. There is such a double standard. People can`t seem to get their personal views on her out of the question. Again, just pathetic...

Brilliant post.
i can't beilieve the hatred on here ofr serena...

she's already been punished...get it? she was docked a point and that led
to her losing the match...end of story....she shook clijsters hand and that was
the end of that.

It's happened in men's matches too...eg Johhny mac 90 aussies open...and
as far as I can remember mac wasn't *banned* for anything after that.

In the 2001 wimby final...goran called a linesguy a "F#$g*t" audible on TV
in front of millions too..not only did he not get defaulted...nothing at all happened.

How about Roddick going ballistic at refs in aussie or multiple male players
cursing refs and linespeople?

serena already been punished so just get on with life.

jamesblakefan#1
09-16-2009, 03:47 AM
I have a hard time understanding how anyone could think what Hewitt did even approaches what Serena did.

Serena commited an assault with a [deadly ?] weapon while spewing profanities and then issuing a death threat. And she did it twice.

As I have said before, she would be in jail right now if she'd have done that at the Unisphere or in Manhatten and the lady pressed charges.

Give me a freaking break. Assault w/ a deadly weapon? Yeah, there's a huge rash of tennis racket/tennis ball related deaths all around the US...:roll:

If you really think Serena would actually take a ball and shove it down someone's throat, you're crazier than Serena is, and maybe YOU should be the one locked up, for furthering and fueling a crap agenda.

35ft6
09-16-2009, 03:48 AM

Serena commited an assault with a [deadly ?] weapon while spewing profanities and then issuing a death threat. And she did it twice.I have a hard time understanding how anybody could describe what Serena did as being assault with a [deadly ?] weapon. Twice.As I have said before, she would be in jail right now if she'd have done that at the Unisphere or in Manhatten and the lady pressed charges.Yeah, and if Bobby Knight threw chairs around at the airport, or Mike Tyson punched somebody outside a boxing ring, or a football player tackled a person at Rite Aid, they would be arrested, too. I've seen a lot of people yelling and making death threats on the streets of NYC, and never have I seen them get arrested. Have you? Not just NY, but have you actually seen people get arrested for threatening somebody on the street?

jamesblakefan#1
09-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Brilliant post.
i can't beilieve the hatred on here ofr serena...

she's already been punished...get it? she was docked a point and that led
to her losing the match...end of story....she shook clijsters hand and that was
the end of that.

It's happened in men's matches too...eg Johhny mac 90 aussies open...and
as far as I can remember mac wasn't *banned* for anything after that.

In the 2001 wimby final...goran called a linesguy a "F#$g*t" audible on TV
in front of millions too..not only did he not get defaulted...nothing at all happened.

How about Roddick going ballistic at refs in aussie or multiple male players
cursing refs and linespeople?

serena already been punished so just get on with life.

Right. I posted this in the 'Federer cursing' thread, but I guess it applies here as well. Where's the outrage for Sharapova cursing @ umpires or even worse, pulling something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNPYU4TZBb4

Where's the outrage? Huh? I hadn't even heard a/b this or even heard mention of this, and to me cursing the crowd is worse than cursing the linesperson.

JankovicFan
09-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Give me a freaking break. Assault w/ a deadly weapon? Yeah, there's a huge rash of tennis racket/tennis ball related deaths all around the US...:roll:

Logical fallacy. Actually, I believe the question of whether the lineswoman felt threatened by that waving racket is still an open question.

jamesblakefan#1
09-16-2009, 04:00 AM
Logical fallacy. Actually, I believe the question of whether the lineswoman felt threatened by that waving racket is still an open question.

So let me ask you something, do you really think Serena would have hit the linesperson and murdered her on the court? Or even more laughable, the people who seem to think Serena would really shove a ball down someone else's throat. You can call Serena a bad person, but that's no reason to think she'd actually kill someone...:roll:

paulfreda
09-16-2009, 04:15 AM
I have a hard time understanding how anybody could describe what Serena did as being assault with a [deadly ?] weapon. Twice

I can understand your skepticism. I too was very surprised to learn that assault does not require that the victim be touched; that is what is required for it to be a battery. Don't take my word for it, check with a good criminal attorney.

Serena was threatening while approaching the woman, spewing profanity and waving a weapon within a few feet of her. Whether or not you believe she would EVER actually hit someone is irrelevant. Her actions incite fear and violence and that is why it is illegal; that is if we value peace and civility in our society. She is a criminal and that is a fact.

Roddick, McEnroe, Conners, Nastase and Hewitt never did anything remotely approaching illegal.

As for the question of it being a 'deadly weapon' , I would ask you what would happen to someone struck several times in the head with a tennis frame made of material stronger than steel [graphite] ?

Serena's actions reveal her character and her unconvincing feign apologies say even more.

Truth ............ very hard to swallow more often than not.

HellBunni
09-16-2009, 05:23 AM
So let me ask you something, do you really think Serena would have hit the linesperson and murdered her on the court? Or even more laughable, the people who seem to think Serena would really shove a ball down someone else's throat. You can call Serena a bad person, but that's no reason to think she'd actually kill someone...

before, if someone asked if you think Serena would've said what she said to alineswoman, you would say that person is crazy. There is no reason to think she'd actually threaten someone.

Crime of passion, crime of opportunity
She could have killed the lineswoman (considering how "passionate" she is, and how she wasn't thinking clearly, and she did have a weapon in her hands. And how the lineswoman was so within range looking "stupidly" with that "bad" call.)
"I is a very passionate person, and I am only human, I can make mistakes"

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 05:29 AM

I'm not defending Hewitt, first and foremost.

However, I cannot believe you would seriously think:

"Look at him"

is worse than

"I will take this ####ing ball and stuff it down your ####ing throat and kill you"

Likwise, I don't see

"You're the pitts of the world"

or

"You're a joke"

or

"You're an abortion"

as even in the same class.

When Harold Solomon played Adriano Panatta in the Italian Open and accused the Italian linesmen of making bad calls, was that racist as well? Was Solomon lumping all Italians in the same racist boat? The race card is easily and over played.

Sorry, but race or gender have zero to do with my stance on Serena Williams. Her tirade was totally inappropriate, went far beyond anything I've seen McEnroe or Connors ever do. What sealed the deal was her totally insincere "apology" which was really an excuse clothed as an apology.

In the end, calling someone a name is not the same as threatening physical violence against them. IMO, Serena would have been far better off to call the woman names rather than threatening her. And who wouldn't feel threatened with a 6 foot 180 pound woman weilding a tennis racquet?

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 05:38 AM
I can understand your skepticism. I too was very surprised to learn that assault does not require that the victim be touched; that is what is required for it to be a battery. Don't take my word for it, check with a good criminal attorney.

Serena was threatening while approaching the woman, spewing profanity and waving a weapon within a few feet of her. Whether or not you believe she would EVER actually hit someone is irrelevant. Her actions incite fear and violence and that is why it is illegal; that is if we value peace and civility in our society. She is a criminal and that is a fact.

Roddick, McEnroe, Conners, Nastase and Hewitt never did anything remotely approaching illegal.

As for the question of it being a 'deadly weapon' , I would ask you what would happen to someone struck several times in the head with a tennis frame made of material stronger than steel [graphite] ?

Serena's actions reveal her character and her unconvincing feign apologies say even more.

Truth ............ very hard to swallow more often than not.

She's not a criminal. That's a fact.

Her actions revealed nothing. If this was who she is we would have seen it dozens of times. Like we did with McEnroe ad naseum

JankovicFan
09-16-2009, 05:48 AM
So let me ask you something, do you really think Serena would have hit the linesperson and murdered her on the court? Or even more laughable, the people who seem to think Serena would really shove a ball down someone else's throat. You can call Serena a bad person, but that's no reason to think she'd actually kill someone...:roll:I for one am going to assume that players will from this point be well advised not to wave a racquet at a seated official when standing over them close by and yelling obscenities and threats of physical harm at them.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 06:30 AM

LOL...on the soap box. Give me a break. who are you kidding. friends (true friends) are people you accept for whatever faults they have. Not talking about being buddies with Hitler, but if a buddy made a silly comment like Hewitt its just that, SILLY. You must have world class friends..the best of the best. I assume they give all their money to the poor, never curse, read instead of watch TV, etc, etc, etc...the perfect person. Again, you are completely full of crap.

drakulie
09-16-2009, 06:39 AM
"F" is the only grade for you, junior. Here is the reason why: Hewitt's disgusting self rants about the race of his two targets--all out in the open--but you want to wave your limp, magic spin stick and transform Serena's tirade into one which had no trace of racism at all.

Try again, boy.

I undertand. Serena is such a victim of racsim, she is actually someone's slave, picking cotton in somones backyard. Further, she is only allowed to prepare for Slams, which expalins her poor results at other tourneys, and not being able to reach # 1 in the world. She is also force fed krispy kreme to keep her fat. A grand master plan brought on by the "White Man". :roll:

Fact is, she was way out of line and the USTA is also out of line for not immediately suspending her. Her actions are way worse than Hewitt, making some silly little remark from over 100 feet away to a linesman.

LOL...on the soap box. Give me a break. who are you kidding. friends (true friends) are people you accept for whatever faults they have. Not talking about being buddies with Hitler, but if a buddy made a silly comment like Hewitt its just that, SILLY. You must have world class friends..the best of the best. I assume they give all their money to the poor, never curse, read instead of watch TV, etc, etc, etc...the perfect person. Again, you are completely full of crap.

Agreed. These momos will do everything they can to make EVERYTHING about racism. Fact is, they are the racists, and ones who try desperatley to cling on to anything, however miniscule, so they could jump at it and call it "racism" to excuse any type of behavior.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Agreed. These momos will do everything they can to make EVERYTHING about racism. Fact is, they are the racists, and ones who try desperatley to cling on to anything, however miniscule, so they could jump at it and call it "racism" to excuse any type of behavior.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed and very well stated. Any and all discussions used to end when the card was played. It is an old and tired one and just doesn't work any more. How in the world anyone can defend Williams' actions, her inability to admit fault, and her total and classless defense of her actions is beyond me. If racism were truly a problem, Serena Williams would not be a part owner in the Miami Dolphins or a multi-millionaire.

Hewitt has proven himself an idiot on more than one occasion, my saying that does not make me jingoist again Australia. Quite the contrary, judging someone's character by their actions the standard by which we should all be judged. Defending those actions or excusing them by accusing others of racism is a racist action in itself.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Drakulie,
it simply amazes me how race is even brought into this situation. I have as thick a skin as anyone and could care less about political correctness. I rather enjoy when a players argues (when they have something to fight for or have good reason) with officials. While I think the call was poor (it seems as if she did foot-fault) simply because of timing, Serena showed her inner anger that she obviously hides. I never cared for either Williams, but race has nothing to do with it. It's all about the attitude. I cannot stand Sharapova and she is lilly white. I dislike all three for the exact same reason. But no one would accuse me of racism with Sharapova, but say something bad about a minority person and the poop hits the fan.

Bottom line, Serena went way, way over the top in a live, televised event. I believe she did threaten to kill the lineswomen (why would she make something like that up? there were hundreds of people within earshot and others heard it). Mac was suspended (people forget) for like 6 months for his outburst (at the AO?). This is no different. How she is not suspended is beyond me. I was redcarded and suspended for 6 matches (in my soccer playing days) for calling the ref a fat sow. This is far worse.

At first I was not bothered much by it, but after some time to think about the sitation, Serena should have been suspended.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Drakulie,
it simply amazes me how race is even brought into this situation. I have as thick a skin as anyone and could care less about political correctness. I rather enjoy when a players argues (when they have something to fight for or have good reason) with officials. While I think the call was poor (it seems as if she did foot-fault) simply because of timing, Serena showed her inner anger that she obviously hides. I never cared for either Williams, but race has nothing to do with it. It's all about the attitude. I cannot stand Sharapova and she is lilly white. I dislike all three for the exact same reason. But no one would accuse me of racism with Sharapova, but say something bad about a minority person and the poop hits the fan.

Bottom line, Serena went way, way over the top in a live, televised event. I believe she did threaten to kill the lineswomen (why would she make something like that up? there were hundreds of people within earshot and others heard it). Mac was suspended (people forget) for like 6 months for his outburst (at the AO?). This is no different. How she is not suspended is beyond me. I was redcarded and suspended for 6 matches (in my soccer playing days) for calling the ref a fat sow. This is far worse.

At first I was not bothered much by it, but after some time to think about the sitation, Serena should have been suspended.

She may still yet get suspended

jorel
09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
i also agree that the race card is being overplayed here...

if Kim had done the same thing as Serena (which i could never see her doing) i would have the same opinion of Kim...

it would actaully be scarier if Kim did it...nothing scarier than a nice girl snapping into a psycho

jorel
09-16-2009, 07:26 AM
to me... when you look at Serena right after the call.. she seems calm... it almost seems like shes calculating what she wants to do next and decides to explode... im not so sure if it was pure passion or a delibrate decision to verbally threaten the line judge

CaptainInsano
09-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Man, that degenerated badly for sure... I had to go a couple of pages back to see where it all started: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3944537#post3944537

I think drakulie was being sarcastic as bringing the Hewitt incident to position Serena's incident as "not as bad incident as it may seem" was a bad judgement on your part THUNDERVOLLEY.

2 separate events, 2 separate behaviours adn 2 separate actions.

Hewitt incident (for reference, I had to use it to refresh my memory): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2001/us_open/news/2001/09/01/hewitt_folo/

Going back to the point: Serena verbally threatened a person with her choice of words and physically showed violent behaviour by the tone of voice used, pointing and shaking her racquet at the line judge.

It goes much farther than a simple comment.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 08:22 AM
She may still yet get suspended

Have you heard anything? You could be right. I guess it depends on the professional league the athlete is associated with. But the WTA will look bad if they don't do more. Look at Justin Gimelstob. He was crucified because he was acting jerky and fooling around (while disrespecting women), but he in now way threatened and verbally assualted anyone. The guy was suspended, removed from ads and was required to sit down with Billie Jean (very classy and respectful person). Fining Serena 10 cents (to her 10K is 10 cents to me) is a joke.

topspin
09-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Ok imagine this: you walk into a hospital or clinic and you act like Serena. Result: you arrested. Now if you act like Hewitt did then you'd just get frowned upon. Big difference. Verbal and physical intimidation is very real. Anyone who does not realize this is likely to abuse their spouse emotionally and verbally. It is serious and can hurt as much or even more than some physical pain.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Man, that degenerated badly for sure... I had to go a couple of pages back to see where it all started: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3944537#post3944537

I think drakulie was being sarcastic as bringing the Hewitt incident to position Serena's incident as "not as bad incident as it may seem" was a bad judgement on your part THUNDERVOLLEY.

2 separate events, 2 separate behaviours adn 2 separate actions.

Hewitt incident (for reference, I had to use it to refresh my memory): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2001/us_open/news/2001/09/01/hewitt_folo/

Going back to the point: Serena verbally threatened a person with her choice of words and physically showed violent behaviour by the tone of voice used, pointing and shaking her racquet at the line judge.

It goes much farther than a simple comment.

How anyone can compare the two incidents is beyond me. Someposters are just a sad joke.

rommil
09-16-2009, 08:34 AM
So much for equality and equal prize money at the US Open. The USTA would have reacted differently if we change the characters a little bit. Imagine if the player and the linesperson were both men or if the player was male and the linesperson female. Worse, if the player were white and the linesperson was black.
Yet disregarding those alternate scenarios, Serena should get some amount of suspension. It's not only what she did, it was what she said.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I undertand. Serena is such a victim of racsim, she is actually someone's slave, picking cotton in somones backyard. Further, she is only allowed to prepare for Slams, which expalins her poor results at other tourneys, and not being able to reach # 1 in the world. She is also force fed krispy kreme to keep her fat. A grand master plan brought on by the "White Man". :roll:

^ Completely bereft of even rudimentary sense. The wheels are off and just rolling down the road to nonsenseville.

Fact is, she was way out of line and the USTA is also out of line for not immediately suspending her. Her actions are way worse than Hewitt, making some silly little remark from over 100 feet away to a linesman.

Of course you would say this. You do not believe racism to be a moral cancer, so you will downplay Hewitt's unforgivabe tirade, while trying to pump mere anger in the moment, which is not a constant. Racism is a constant--a hardline, hard wired system of beliefs, not some "in the moment" but unusual psychological collapse. Because it is not, Hewitt instantly leaping to racist conclusions only illustrates the colossal level of ingrained hatred he carried within him, sending a significantly stronger message to the world about his nature (and the PTB for side-stepping it) than short-lived anger anyone can express.

drakulie
09-16-2009, 08:55 AM
^ Completely bereft of even rudimentary sense. The wheels are off and just rolling down the road to nonsenseville.

Of course you would say this. You do not believe racism to be a moral cancer, so you will downplay Hewitt's unforgivabe tirade, while trying to pump mere anger in the moment, which is not a constant. Racism is a constant--a hardline, hard wired system of beliefs, not some "in the moment" but unusual psychological collapse. Because it is not, Hewitt instantly leaping to racist conclusions only illustrates the colossal level of ingrained hatred he carried within him, sending a significantly stronger message to the world about his nature (and the PTB for side-stepping it) than short-lived anger anyone can express.

Wow. :shock:

So let me get this straight. We should develop a scientific engineering marvel, that is able to look into our thoughts, and punish us acordingly?

You've watched one too many bad movies. This isn't, Minority Report where people are arrested/prosecuted/punished before they actually act.

Try again.

precision2b
09-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Drakulie,

I agree Azzurri. 100% I don’t care much for Sharapova for the same reasons I don’t like the Williams sisters…

drakulie
09-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I agree Azzurri. 100% I don’t care much for Sharapova for the same reasons I don’t like the Williams sisters…

I'm sure there is a woman out there somewhere that will read, Azzurri's post and say, "he is racist towards women".

CaptainInsano
09-16-2009, 09:11 AM

Come on man. You're trying to make this about racism and about Hewitt's incident. I see that by bringing racism into the pot here you want to make it sound like reacting to Serena's event could be racist since that level of reaction was not shown for Hewitt's.

Again, 2 completely separate events with different things that were said. You can't expect something that happened 8 years ago should be used as input for what's currently happening.

This is about what Serena did and what the WTA should do. The fact that she happens to be african-american is irrelevant.

Breaker
09-16-2009, 09:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUGXtiMNqk&feature=related

The actual incident, Blake isn't even brought into the discussion and he doesn't point at Blake either. Before he says the "look at him and tell me what the similarity is" he says that it's only happening on one end of the court. Far too inconclusive to classify it as a racist tirade or something worse than threatening to...well that one's self explanatory.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Why is no one asking whether the lineswoman was racist? It was clearly not a foot fault, as shown by the replay and by JMac's remarks at that time. Why was she so eager to call it? And why did she pretend that Serena's remarks, which is the way many people talk in private or in humor about shoving something somewhere, was about killing her? She sure seemed to be very eager and ready with complaints, almost as if she had planned to bait Serena.

This is not the first time this has happened to the sisters. Some years ago, a female chair umpire advised one of their opponents to challenge a call.

People seem to always talk about racism as a Black and White issue. But Asians can be very racist as well.

Keifers
09-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Why is no one asking whether the lineswoman was racist? It was clearly not a foot fault, as shown by the replay and by JMac's remarks at that time. Why was she so eager to call it? And why did she pretend that Serena's remarks, which is the way many people talk in private or in humor about shoving something somewhere, was about killing her? She sure seemed to be very eager and ready with complaints, almost as if she had planned to bait Serena.

This is not the first time this has happened to the sisters. Some years ago, a female chair umpire advised one of their opponents to challenge a call.

People seem to always talk about racism as a Black and White issue. But Asians can be very racist as well.
Are you Asian?

I just want to know where you're coming from on this.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Are you Asian?

I just want to know where you're coming from on this.

I did not say the lineswoman was upto something. I asked: why is nobody even mentioning the possibility? I watched the incident twice. I don't believe that someone who is used to being around pro players doesn't know how they talk. The lineswoman seemed to be have a built-in fear of Serena. Maybe it was her relative size, I don't know. We should start from the starting point: a wrong call at a crucial moment in the match. How much of it was incompetence and how much was it a desire to make Clijsters win as soon as possible? Probably, 100% and 0%, but I don't know.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Why is no one asking whether the lineswoman was racist? It was clearly not a foot fault, as shown by the replay and by JMac's remarks at that time.

Really? I watched the match and did not see an angle that showed that. Certainly there was no angle as good as the linesperson had on the call. Serena herself said she had been called for footfaulting the entire tournament. Serena herself said "maybe I was footfaulting".

And yet you would imply the lineswoman was racist? Hello?

Why was she so eager to call it?

Because it's her job? You see when you call the baseline, you have to make the call.

What makes you think she was eager? I thought she was fairly routine about it. Your choice of wording is prejudicial to say the least. It's prejudicial in support of an assumption; a false one at that.

And why did she pretend that Serena's remarks,

Pretend? So the incident never happened? Serena didn't make the remarks?

which is the way many people talk in private or in humor

Serena was neither in private or being humorous.

about shoving something somewhere, was about killing her?

I'd take this ####ing ball and shove it down your ####ing throat and kill you.

Does that clear it up for you? Serena didn't intend for the ball once shoved down the throat to feed her...and Serena said as much herself. It was so bad, that Serena would not repeat what she said in her press conference. Williams knew she'd crossed the line.

She sure seemed to be very eager and ready with complaints,

It is the duty of a linesperson to report violations. They are told that. It is called doing their job.

Watch the tape. The linesperson, while taking the abuse, looks over to the chair. I believe she was waived over by the chair.

Agassi was defaulted from the Sybase a number of years ago for comments made to a linesperson. He said something, the linesperson got up and reported it. When the linesperson came back, Agassi said something else and the linesperson made another trip. Agassi was defaulted.

almost as if she had planned to bait Serena.

This is the single most ridiculous statement, even for you, that I've seen yet.

Umpires routinely advise players to challenge. In the mens' finals, the chair was freely telling either player that the ball was clearly out, or that they could/should challenge. To suggest that this is somehow racially motivated behavior on the part of the chair is again, ridiculous and disingenuous.

I think is your most telling comment.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Good points. Same points were made by Jimmy Carter yesterday about Joe Wilson. The immediate cause always looks like something else, but most likely the behavior pattern is deep rooted. It is only when the full picture is looked at that such things become obvious - namely, what happened in other situations and with other people, and what did not happen.

In this case, Serena deserves a huge fine and a suspension. That goes without saying.

CaptainInsano
09-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I did not say the lineswoman was upto something. I asked: why is nobody even mentioning the possibility? I watched the incident twice. I don't believe that someone who is used to being around pro players doesn't know how they talk. The lineswoman seemed to be have a built-in fear of Serena. Maybe it was her relative size, I don't know. We should start from the starting point: a wrong call at a crucial moment in the match. How much of it was incompetence and how much was it a desire to make Clijsters win as soon as possible? Probably, 100% and 0%, but I don't know.

This is far fetched don't you think?

What if there was a foot fault and she didn't called it because it was "too close and too much of a delicate moment in the match". Would that be fair to the other player (especially if she could end up loosing the match)?

There was not just Serena and the lineswoman at that match. It's a Grand Slam event, not a backyard friendly match. There were 20,000+ people plus the millions (?) watching it. Completely different context than arguing in a locker room.

Rabbit

That's exactly what you said! Don't crawfish now.

How do you know the call was wrong? Did you see a definitive angle? Even Williams said she was foot faulting and had been called in all her matches. Were all the linesmen out to get her?

The only starting point here was Serena Williams total loss of control after a call was made. To say that it was a "wrong call" is completely an assumption on your part. You don't know because you weren't on the baseline. The lady that called the footfault hadn't done anything during the entire match to provoke Williams. Williams was getting her butt beat and just vented on the poor woman. She was having a bad day and took it out on someone she figured she could abuse without any fear of retribution or reprisal and she was wrong.

Williams should be suspended for 6 months.

sureshs
Really? I watched the match and did not see an angle that showed that. Certainly there was no angle as good as the linesperson had on the call. Serena herself said she had been called for footfaulting the entire tournament. Serena herself said "maybe I was footfaulting".

Because it's her job? You see when you call the baseline, you have to make the call.

What makes you think she was eager? I thought she was fairly routine about it. Your choice of wording is prejudicial to say the least. It's prejudicial in support of an assumption; a false one at that.

Does that clear it up for you? Serena didn't intend for the ball once shoved down the throat to feed her...and Serena said as much herself. It was so bad, that Serena would not repeat what she said in her press conference. Williams knew she'd crossed the line.

It is the duty of a linesperson to report violations. They are told that. It is called doing their job.

Watch the tape. The linesperson, while taking the abuse, looks over to the chair. I believe she was waived over by the chair.

Agassi was defaulted from the Sybase a number of years ago for comments made to a linesperson. He said something, the linesperson got up and reported it. When the linesperson came back, Agassi said something else and the linesperson made another trip. Agassi was defaulted.

Umpires routinely advise players to challenge. In the mens' finals, the chair was freely telling either player that the ball was clearly out, or that they could/should challenge. To suggest that this is somehow racially motivated behavior on the part of the chair is again, ridiculous and disingenuous.

The incident I am refering to about the chair was different, not like with Fed and DP.

You are right though. There is no evidence to support any bias of the lineswoman. I am asking why no one has raised it, while Serena hate threads pop up all over the place on any boring day.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Good points. Same points were made by Jimmy Carter yesterday about Joe Wilson. The immediate cause always looks like something else, but most likely the behavior pattern is deep rooted. It is only when the full picture is looked at that such things become obvious - namely, what happened in other situations and with other people, and what did not happen.

In this case, Serena deserves a huge fine and a suspension. That goes without saying.

So now we bring Joe Wilson and Jimmy Carter into this? You have gone from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Joe Wilson should face censure. He is not racist, he's an idiot. He is a living, breathing representation of how dumbed down even the Congress has become. To suggest that everyone living in the South is somehow ingrained with racism is stupid, plain stupid.

Keifers
Are you Asian? I ask because if you are, your comment may come from particular insight or experience or knowledge.

sureshs
That's exactly what you said! Don't crawfish now.

How do you know the call was wrong? Did you see a definitive angle? Even Williams said she was foot faulting and had been called in all her matches. Were all the linesmen out to get her?

The only starting point here was Serena Williams total loss of control after a call was made. To say that it was a "wrong call" is completely an assumption on your part. You don't know because you weren't on the baseline. The lady that called the footfault hadn't done anything during the entire match to provoke Williams. Williams was getting her butt beat and just vented on the poor woman. She was having a bad day and took it out on someone she figured she could abuse without any fear of retribution or reprisal and she was wrong.

Williams should be suspended for 6 months.

I saw the incident, and heard JMac.

How did you know that Nadal was doping (your famous deleted thread)? You never provided any sources that you mentioned. Here, at least I can use my own eyes. How did you conclude Nadal was doping?

CaptainInsano
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Foot fault rule: http://www.tennisonline.net/rules/rules/rule8.html

"USTA Comment: This rule covers the most decisive stroke in the game, and there is no justification for its not being obeyed by players and enforced by officials. No official has the right to instruct any umpire to disregard violations of it. In a non-officiated match, the Receiver, or his partner, may call foot faults after all efforts (appeal to the server, request for an umpire, etc.) have failed and the foot faulting is so flagrant as to be clearly perceptible from the Receiver's side.

It is improper for any official to warn a player that he is in danger of having a foot fault called on him. On the other hand, if a player asks for an explanation of how he foot faulted, either the Line Umpire or the Chair Umpire should give him that information."

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
There is no evidence to support any bias of the lineswoman.

Then why introduce something so inflammatory? To accuse the victim of somehow wanting it? asking for it? You truly have sunk to a new low.

I am asking why no one has raised it, while Serena hate threads pop up all over the place on any boring day.

No one has asked it because it is just plain ridiculous.

Bloodshed
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM

Ok I'll tell you why this bothers me alot:

Yes she wrote a formal speech before her doubles match, yes she wrote another apology on her blog forun, however she had a chance to apologize in her post match interview, she didn't. She had a chance to apologize after her win in her doubles match while being interviewed by Patrick Mcenroe, she didn't. She had another chance in Good Morning America where they were talking about her book and came the question to apologize, she never did.

That's why her written "apologies" are phoney and insincere. She's a selfish human being.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
So now we bring Joe Wilson and Jimmy Carter into this? You have gone from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Joe Wilson should face censure. He is not racist, he's an idiot. He is a living, breathing representation of how dumbed down even the Congress has become. To suggest that everyone living in the South is somehow ingrained with racism is stupid, plain stupid.

No thanks, I will go with Carter, the genuinely humane and religious man, than the hypocrites of today. I think he has a much better geniune insight into many things than anyone on this board. And I think he has lived there much longer than everyone else.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Then why introduce something so inflammatory?

What were your sources for Nadal doping?

split-step
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM

Yes she wrote a formal speech before her doubles match, yes she wrote another apology on her blog forun, however she had a chance to apologize in her post match interview, she didn't. She had a chance to apologize after her win in her doubles match while being interviewed by Patrick Mcenroe, she didn't. She had another chance in Good Morning America where they were talking about her book and came the question to apologize, she never did.

That's why her written "apologies" are phoney and insincere. She's a selfish human being.

If she had done all those things, there are people that still will not be satisfied and call her apologies phony.
Someone has already said, you don't go from being as angry as she was to penitent. In that case, nothing she does will suffice!

Serena knows and will do what's best for Serena. She also knows whether her apologies are sincere or not.

As for me, I will let the ITF do what it has to do and leave it at that. I have taken her apology and it is good enough for me.

Libertarian
09-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Doesn't she have some professional available to proof read stuff like this first? It's one thing when you can't control what you are saying (on and off court) but once you put anything in writing, have it checked by some one who does these things for a living and might count the number of times you use the word "I" when it is about "you". It's all phony anyway so you might as well.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Why she "apologized" partially:

1. To reduce the fine and suspension by indicating her remorse publicly
2. Because others in high positions forced her to
3. She wants to fend off any possible lawsuit by the lineswoman

Why she didn't apologize fully?

1. She is arrogant
2. The call was wrong.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 09:58 AM
No thanks, I will go with Carter, the genuinely humane and religious man, than the hypocrites of today.

and probably the worst president of the 20th century, what's your point? Does that mean he's infallible? Hardly. If you had any perspective, you'd remember 20% interest rates when he was president.

Carter hardly got anything right when he was president. Carter has come out with other off the wall comments in the last few years. Carter's mother even said she should have remained a virigin.

I think he has a much better geniune insight into many things than anyone on this board.

Really? And what exactly gives him these "insights"? What qualifies him as knowing Joe Wilson and what is in the man's heart? It's clear Joe Wilson is a brainless dweeb with no respect, but to dub him racist? That's a stretch for most logical people, but I can see how you'd jump to it.

And I think he has lived there much longer than everyone else.

Wow! So being an old far qualifies you for being smart? How does living a long time in Georgia qualify Carter for anything other than what goes on in Georgia?

What were your sources for Nadal doping?

Sources inside the professional game, smart guy, what are yours other than your own ASSumptions?

Bloodshed
09-16-2009, 10:02 AM
If she had done all those things, there are people that still will not be satisfied and call her apologies phony.
Someone has already said, you don't go from being as angry as she was to penitent. In that case, nothing she does will suffice!

Serena knows and will do what's best for Serena. She also knows whether her apologies are sincere or not.

As for me, I will let the ITF do what it has to do and leave it at that. I have taken her apology and it is good enough for me.

I get what you're saying. But all I'm saying is she can write a million of apologies on forums, blogs, etc... but they will always sound bogus because I hardly believe she wrote any of this.

In the end, I'll have to accept it because I know deep down inside, she's not sorry for her actions.

Bloodshed
09-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Why she "apologized" partially:

1. To reduce the fine and suspension by indicating her remorse publicly
2. Because others in high positions forced her to
3. She wants to fend off any possible lawsuit by the lineswoman

Why she didn't apologize fully?

1. She is arrogant
2. The call was wrong.

I agree with you about the partially apology because otherwise she would be in trouble with a severe suspension, lawsuit etc... I'm sure her intelligent agent told her the procedures within the next couple of days and what to do kind of stuff.

Now whether the call was wrong or not will never be justified since the evidence is not good enough proof of that. It's just soo sad that the greatest WTA player of the last decade is also the most despicable of them all.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Sources inside the professional game, smart guy, what are yours other than your own ASSumptions?

Sad that your thread was deleted.

Your standards of judgement must be much higher than mine. I saw it on TV and heard a tennis legend say it was a wrong call. What were your standards? At least name the insider sources. Surely you are not a person who reads other's minds and jumps to conclusions? You must have not only seen Nadal do it, you must also have analyzed the chemical composition before your inflammatory thread. So please tell us how you knew about Nadal's doping.

rommil
09-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Everything so far is a PR stint. It would do Serena good if she seeked out the lineswoman and apologize face to big face and keep what transpires on the meeting to themselves.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree with you about the partially apology because otherwise she would be in trouble with a severe suspension, lawsuit etc... I'm sure her intelligent agent told her the procedures within the next couple of days and what to do kind of stuff.

Now whether the call was wrong or not will never be justified since the evidence is not good enough proof of that. It's just soo sad that the greatest WTA player of the last decade is also the most despicable of them all.

I bet she is being advised by a lawyer. If I were the lineswoman (and thankfully I am not LOL I wouldn't make such wrong calls), I would be suing her for trauma. Serena has deep pockets (not in her skirt) and a settlement would fetch me a cool $200K at least. I would claim that I am unable to sleep at night out of fear, that my main income source of being a lineswoman has been compromised due to publicity and my trauma, and I have also become afraid of all tennis players.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Everything so far is a PR stint. It would do Serena good if she seeked out the lineswoman and apologize face to big face and keep what transpires on the meeting to themselves.

It doesn't work that way any more, due to lawsuits. Reaching out to her has to be done thru lawyers. Things are not simple any more.

The first time someone rear-ended me, the guy called and wanted to talk to me and I did. Later, I was told never to do that but only get the insurance companies to talk.

I am willing to bet my KPS88 that the lineswoman has a lawyer who is covertly in talks with the Williams camp right now.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Sad that your thread was deleted.

Your standards of judgement must be much higher than mine. I saw it on TV and heard a tennis legend say it was a wrong call. What were your standards? At least name the insider sources. Surely you are not a person who reads other's minds and jumps to conclusions? You must have not only seen Nadal do it, you must also have analyzed the chemical composition before your inflammatory thread. So please tell us how you knew about Nadal's doping.

Wow! When losing an argument, always change the subject.

And when you're really losing an argument, make a personal attack too.

You have and continue to lower the standards of any thread you participate in.

You know good and well I've addressed the Nadal issue before. You like to bring it up because you think it's some kind of trump card.

Truth is, the rumor combined with Nadal's more than strange behavior combined with a miracle cure for tendonitis were and are worthy of discussion. You want to talk further about this, start a thread. Don't derail this because you made some stupid remarks that you can't back up.

Henry Kaspar
09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Is this topic still going on. Amazing.

Today's NYT has a picture with McEnroe kicking a camera (held by a camera man) in 1985, on court. Strangely, he is beloved today.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Strangely, he is beloved today.

Let's not go to extremes here. Last time McEnroe was in Memphis, he was booed in more than one match.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Another thing that surprises me is that though Serena hate threads have been popping up all over the place even when she was just playing, there are no Justin Gimelstob threads any more. That guy almost encouraged sexual assault against Anna Kournikova and made disgusting remarks, yet all he did was to apologize and then too, he refused to talk in person to Anna. Yet he has been handsomely rewarded by getting great commentating gigs and is a staple at WTT and charity events. Not only that, recently another commentator said he is one of the best in tunnel interviews. He is a friend of Agassi, Roddick, Davenport, Nadal and Federer, and remains on the ATP Player's Council. However, I don't see Gimelstob hate threads showing up here whenever he is on TV.

Unlike Nadal's doping, there are actual transcripts detailing what exactly he said.

sureshs
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Wow! When losing an argument, always change the subject.

And when you're really losing an argument, make a personal attack too.

You have and continue to lower the standards of any thread you participate in.

You know good and well I've addressed the Nadal issue before. You like to bring it up because you think it's some kind of trump card.

Truth is, the rumor combined with Nadal's more than strange behavior combined with a miracle cure for tendonitis were and are worthy of discussion. You want to talk further about this, start a thread. Don't derail this because you made some stupid remarks that you can't back up.

Insider sources are not good enough, as you don't believe the tennis insider JMac who saw the call from the booth. So you must have many more details of the doping. A blood report maybe?

sureshs
09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Are you Asian? I ask because if you are, your comment may come from particular insight or experience or knowledge.

Believe me, there are plenty. One of the most blatant was when a realtor (Asian) from a household-name realty company was showing me some homes in Houston. She said I am not supposed to legally tell you this, but this is the service I provide you free of charge, between the two of us. She drove me thru many neighborhoods, telling me "here are Blacks, stay away" and "this is a Hispanic street, you don't want to buy here." There were other incidents too. Including an old guy who had never been outside his country before, landed up at the airport, and told me to be careful about my car because N*gros will steal it.

EP1998
09-16-2009, 11:10 AM

She actually does a ton of charity work. She just doesnt talk about it that much.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Believe me, there are plenty. One of the most blatant was when a realtor (Asian) from a household-name realty company was showing me some homes in Houston. She said I am not supposed to legally tell you this, but this is the service I provide you free of charge, between the two of us. She drove me thru many neighborhoods, telling me "here are Blacks, stay away" and "this is a Hispanic street, you don't want to buy here." There were other incidents too. Including an old guy who had never been outside his country before, landed up at the airport, and told me to be careful about my car because N*gros will steal it.

And still you don't answer Keifers' question....

dukemunson
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM

You are routinely and consistently ridiculous...

Mkie7
09-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey guys....

"I would like to ammend my statements because my previous statements did not work and had not worked to defuse the situation. I don't really mean it but I am gonna apologize just because my PR team thought I have no choice and there is too much pressure to do so."

... so I am gonna be crafty with my words and talk about my family tragedies as well to gain sympathy. People will believe me because most of them are so naive to see what kinda person I really am. They will forget all my previous behaviors on court and at press conferences....

so here goes... I apologize to the lines person (with no remorse of coz)... to the fans and Kim. C ( how dare you beat me ... not gonna give you the pleasure of beating me without a drama to tarnish it) for my on court outburst. I am just an emotional person and I take my job seriously". ....

Guess we'll see if this bull spit works. :)... What's next.. maybe some PR stunts like non profit tennis workshops, Kid activities?

sureshs
09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
She actually does a ton of charity work. She just doesnt talk about it that much.

Both the sisters are on the McDonalds tour for children or something like that. But then, it has almost become mandatory for any famous athlete to do something with a charity. It is a public relations shield. Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Agassi, Henin are all doing it.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Insider sources are not good enough,

I really don't care what you think is good enough. Your thought processes are certainly flawed enough as evidenced by your posts.

as you don't believe the tennis insider JMac who saw the call from the booth.

The same John McEnroe who:

said Nadal wears a shoe 1 1/2 sizes too small? (Wrong)
calls Luxilon synthetic string? (Wrong)
calls all polyester strings Luxilon? (Wrong)finally, seeing the call from a booth a 100 feet or more away from the line and probably not even on line with the baseline is hardly a qualification or comparison for someone sitting on the line

sureshs
09-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I really don't care what you think is good enough. Your thought processes are certainly flawed enough as evidenced by your posts.

calls all polyester strings Luxilon? (Wrong)finally, seeing the call from a booth a 100 feet or more away from the line and probably not even on line with the baseline is hardly a qualification or comparison for someone sitting on the line

Yeah Luxilon is not a synthetic string but a natural string made from plants grown in Luxembourg. What he means is it is not natural gut.

And I too saw the replay.

Come up with something better, which you failed to do in that thread.

Henry Kaspar
09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

calls all polyester strings Luxilon? (Wrong)

With all due respect, but how does this -- even remotely -- relate to the topic?

sureshs
09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
With all due respect, but how does this -- even remotely -- relate to the topic?

It doesn't.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 11:43 AM

So what is the trust about Nadal shoes since you seem concerned about it.

Luxilon is not natural gut. So it can be called synthetic. Is that a big deal?

Are all bandages you put on a cut a Band Aid brand? Luxilon has become synonym for polyester strings

EP1998
09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Both the sisters are on the McDonalds tour for children or something like that. But then, it has almost become mandatory for any famous athlete to do something with a charity. It is a public relations shield. Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Agassi, Henin are all doing it.

Yes there is that but I've heard from two different people in the industry about how much she does that is much lower profile.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 12:13 PM

sureshs uses McEnroe as the end all expert on the foot fault call in his argument. My reply is simply that McEnroe has been wrong in the past and continues to be, shall we say, human?

So what is the trust about Nadal shoes since you seem concerned about it.

Luxilon is not natural gut. So it can be called synthetic. Is that a big deal?

Are all bandages you put on a cut a Band Aid brand? Luxilon has become synonym for polyester strings

See above.

McEnroe was the "source" for the story about Nadal wearing shoes way too small. Tennis magazine corrected this after one of their folks read these boards.

McEnroe refers to polyester as synthetic gut. I realize full well that it is synthetic in nature and it's a small detail, but one that gear heads have noted.

Shangri La
09-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Only people of your level will ask this type of question. Now, will you answer the question directed at you, where are you from?

JankovicFan
09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Accepting an apology suggests that her behavior was rational and somewhere within normal boundary lines, yet regrettable. Under the circumstances, I would be more impressed with a statement that she had agreed to see a psychiatrist. It is scary to think that some might suggest Serena's was within the boundaries of normal behavior and that an apology would fix it. As we have seen, few but maybe her fans believe a word of it, and Serena includes enough hints of reluctance to rob it of credibility.

I would focus particular attention on Serena's second approach to the lines woman. That is what scared me, indicating Serena was possibly out of control and dangerous. I can't speak for anyone else, but the lines woman certainly took off in a hurry. In the conference with Serena, the lines woman stood behind the other officials like a scared puppy. You can bet there have been hearings involving all the officials, with every attempt made to get the facts right. Only then can there be a righteous penalty ruling.

Serena should have been defaulted, and it may yet be ruled that way. In the moment, the decision was based on Serena lying about or not owning what she actually said to the lines woman. It was pretty unbelievable until heard on recordings and sworn to by spectators. A good case has been made that the match being over anyway is hardly the same thing as a default penalty.

I expect the default decision was already made (in her favor) when Serena was allowed to play doubles. Unless there is a plea of "given time for further consideration", I don't think she will be suspended, because it will make that doubles decision look bogus. That only covers ITF and USTA jurisdictions, however. WTA may want none of it and may have a different take on what the consequences beyond the tournament should be. I am speculating but cannot believe this is over.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 01:21 PM

you act like a Hispanic person or Asian can't be racist? Racism is not a white against black...but you seem to be moronic so in your world it is. wake up, this issue has nothing to do with Serena's skin color.

Odd, I was actually softening to her just a bit...a tiny little bit. Oh well.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm sure there is a woman out there somewhere that will read, Azzurri's post and say, "he is racist towards women".

but I am...truly I am.:twisted:

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM

again...no sense. but I agree with the bolded part.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Rabbit, I appluad you for trying to make sense of this guy's reasoning...I assume you now have a massive headache.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Is this topic still going on. Amazing.

Today's NYT has a picture with McEnroe kicking a camera (held by a camera man) in 1985, on court. Strangely, he is beloved today.

not as much as you think. the guy is a huge jerk and people have tired of his act.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Another thing that surprises me is that though Serena hate threads have been popping up all over the place even when she was just playing, there are no Justin Gimelstob threads any more. That guy almost encouraged sexual assault against Anna Kournikova and made disgusting remarks, yet all he did was to apologize and then too, he refused to talk in person to Anna. Yet he has been handsomely rewarded by getting great commentating gigs and is a staple at WTT and charity events. Not only that, recently another commentator said he is one of the best in tunnel interviews. He is a friend of Agassi, Roddick, Davenport, Nadal and Federer, and remains on the ATP Player's Council. However, I don't see Gimelstob hate threads showing up here whenever he is on TV.

Unlike Nadal's doping, there are actual transcripts detailing what exactly he said.

look here Simple Jack, its obvious. JG is no where near the celebrity of Serena. The guy is a hack as far as a tennis player. why would JG get the same press in this forum when he gets little in the real world. wow, i can't believe your thoght process as genuine any longer.

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-16-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUGXtiMNqk&feature=related

The actual incident, Blake isn't even brought into the discussion and he doesn't point at Blake either. Before he says the "look at him and tell me what the similarity is" he says that it's only happening on one end of the court. Far too inconclusive to classify it as a racist tirade or something worse than threatening to...well that one's self explanatory.

Let's take a look at your reasnoning here:

Before he says the "look at him and tell me what the similarity is" Far too inconclusive to classify it as a racist tirade

With that rant, Hewitt was not pointing out gender, hairstyle, clothing style, political affiliation, sexual preference, eating habits, entertainment tastes, childhood experiences, tennis success, or anything else other than race.

Logically, any serious observation can easily conclude (as in the instant conclusions observers made that day as it occured) Hewitt was not talking about any of the aforementioned catagories I posted, as each would be irrelevant as a reaonable basis for the point he tried to make.

This was recognized on the spot when it happened. So, do not sink into the toilet of moral/intellectual bankruptcy championed by others by rewriting history, and the impact such an act hs--considering the history of such a destructive mindset.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
not as much as you think. the guy is a huge jerk and people have tired of his act.

There are a lot of people on this board who dislike Mac but claim he's beloved by everyone else.

Rabbit
09-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Rabbit, I appluad you for trying to make sense of this guy's reasoning...I assume you now have a massive headache.

Thanks and yes. sureshs is one of the few posters who lowers the level of any discussion he gets involved in.

And still he won't answer the simple question....

tommytom11
09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
It does nothing to change my opinion of her. I've never liked the way she has carried herself, and the outburst this weekend only solidified my opinion. The apology is meaningless.

She ought to send Kanye West a 'thanks for bailing me out' card for taking a lot of heat off of her.

bravo! she isn't sorry at all.

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 04:44 PM
I respect your posts but the replays show nothing clearly that's for sure.

She did this little twist just prior to the toss. that is when her foot touched the line...do I think it was a bit harsh to call it, yes. But it was clear she touched the line (to me and many others).

Azzurri
09-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks and yes. sureshs is one of the few posters who lowers the level of any discussion he gets involved in.

And still he won't answer the simple question....

I just love it when he brings up Justin Gimelstob. Sureshs must have been spurned by JG in the past. I just can't think of one logical reason for his constant reprise of JG's attitude towards some women.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
She did this little twist just prior to the toss. that is when her foot touched the line...do I think it was a bit harsh to call it, yes. But it was clear she touched the line (to me and many others).

It was bizarre to call it IMO. I think Clijsters thought it was a horseshit call too

Lionheart392
09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
It was bizarre to call it IMO. I think Clijsters thought it was a horseshit call too

I think poor Kimmy was thinking more that Serena's horseshit behaviour had denied her her moment of glory :cry::cry::cry:

film1
09-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Does she mean for this?
http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=8ece5185-893b-49ce-8084-2a505bde14e8

My guess is her lawyers told her what to say to say it fast to try and avoid getting her big rear end in hot h20 from perhaps,
intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Fay
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Way too little too late .... I think she was pressured to do this and it is not from here heart. Just my humble O.

Breaker
09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Let's take a look at your reasnoning here:

With that rant, Hewitt was not pointing out gender, hairstyle, clothing style, political affiliation, sexual preference, eating habits, entertainment tastes, childhood experiences, tennis success, or anything else other than race.

Logically, any serious observation can easily conclude (as in the instant conclusions observers made that day as it occured) Hewitt was not talking about any of the aforementioned catagories I posted, as each would be irrelevant as a reaonable basis for the point he tried to make.

This was recognized on the spot when it happened. So, do not sink into the toilet of moral/intellectual bankruptcy championed by others by rewriting history, and the impact such an act hs--considering the history of such a destructive mindset.

My point is that it could be classified as simply pointing out that it was the same linesman on that side calling the footfaults as he never mentioned race or even referred to Blake in any way through gestures. This is why he wasn't punished, his comments were too vague. Also he said what he had to say to the chair umpire.

There is nothing vague about directly threatening a lineswoman.

rommil
09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
It doesn't work that way any more, due to lawsuits. Reaching out to her has to be done thru lawyers. Things are not simple any more.

The first time someone rear-ended me, the guy called and wanted to talk to me and I did. Later, I was told never to do that but only get the insurance companies to talk.

I am willing to bet my KPS88 that the lineswoman has a lawyer who is covertly in talks with the Williams camp right now.

Regardless of what's going on behind it, it's still the honorable thing to do if one is really truly apologetic.
You could be wrong on the part that the lineswoman hired a lawyer. Maybe a lawyer contacted her to make a case out of it. Or maybe she just don't want to pursue it any further. Not all people in America are like that you know.

Rabbit
09-17-2009, 04:19 AM
obviously my point went wayyyy over your head.:rolleyes:

Careful....there's a headache in your future...take it from one who knows.

Yes, those pesky rules...

I think they should get rid of the service line calls too. I mean what the hell, if you get it close that's all that should count. And the sidelines? Why not use the doubles alley? I mean two sets of lines is confusing.

IMO, the officiating in tennis has been, is, and will continue to be horrible. Some rules are enforced while others are not.

Nadal consistently gets more than the alotted 20 seconds between points. He uses delay tactics and stalls in what can only be summed up as gamesmanship. And the rules are not enforced. Djokovic is just as bad and why not? They let Nadal get away with it.

Sharapova and her new wanna-be are the two worst about shrieking every time they hit the ball which is clearly approaching the level of a hinderance. Nothing is done.

Another great example was Kiefer at the Australian Open playing Clement. A point at net and Keifer clearly tries to distract the on-coming Frenchman doing what the players do when they are conceding the point. Problem was, Clement missed...the chair didn't award the point. Keifer went as far as to throw his racquet in this case and still the chair didn't enforce the rules.

Players are allowed to get a consensus from their box, the umpire, and anyone else they choose before they challenge a call. The rules say the challenge must be immediate. I thought Federer was well within his rights to complain about DelPo and the amount of time he was taking to challenge.

Either there are rules, or there are not.

The players have always hate the footfault call. Ilie Nastase once, after being called for a footfault, sat down on court, took off his shoes and threw them to the linesmen. The bewildered umpire asked Nastase what in the world he was doing. Nastase replied..."He call me for footfault, I think he wants my shoes".

Several have used Nastase as a reference point for Williams' behavior. I'll take Nastase's reaction any day.

Regardless of what's going on behind it, it's still the honorable thing to do if one is really truly apologetic.
You could be wrong on the part that the lineswoman hired a lawyer. Maybe a lawyer contacted her to make a case out of it. Or maybe she just don't want to pursue it any further. Not all people in America are like that you know.

Agreed. If Williams were to be genuinely sorry and perform an act of contrition, it would probably do more to stave off a lawsuit than anything else ever could. It would also be more in her favor with the powers that be in tennis. Her current demeanor, however, is just begging to be slapped with suspension. Because, if they don't correct it now and set an example, things will only get worse on court.

Azzurri
09-17-2009, 04:26 AM

no arguement here, I agree with you. It was a "tiky-tac" foul and should not be called at that point in the match. In big games, refs allow the players to play the game (except for the SteeleSeahwak Super Bowl...refs took that game from the 'Hawks).

Azzurri
09-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Careful....there's a headache in your future...take it from one who knows.

Yes, those pesky rules...

I think they should get rid of the service line calls too. I mean what the hell, if you get it close that's all that should count. And the sidelines? Why not use the doubles alley? I mean two sets of lines is confusing.

IMO, the officiating in tennis has been, is, and will continue to be horrible. Some rules are enforced while others are not.

Nadal consistently gets more than the alotted 20 seconds between points. He uses delay tactics and stalls in what can only be summed up as gamesmanship. And the rules are not enforced. Djokovic is just as bad and why not? They let Nadal get away with it.

Sharapova and her new wanna-be are the two worst about shrieking every time they hit the ball which is clearly approaching the level of a hinderance. Nothing is done.

Another great example was Kiefer at the Australian Open playing Clement. A point at net and Keifer clearly tries to distract the on-coming Frenchman doing what the players do when they are conceding the point. Problem was, Clement missed...the chair didn't award the point. Keifer went as far as to throw his racquet in this case and still the chair didn't enforce the rules.

Players are allowed to get a consensus from their box, the umpire, and anyone else they choose before they challenge a call. The rules say the challenge must be immediate. I thought Federer was well within his rights to complain about DelPo and the amount of time he was taking to challenge.

Either there are rules, or there are not.

The players have always hate the footfault call. Ilie Nastase once, after being called for a footfault, sat down on court, took off his shoes and threw them to the linesmen. The bewildered umpire asked Nastase what in the world he was doing. Nastase replied..."He call me for footfault, I think he wants my shoes".

Several have used Nastase as a reference point for Williams' behavior. I'll take Nastase's reaction any day.

Agreed. If Williams were to be genuinely sorry and perform an act of contrition, it would probably do more to stave off a lawsuit than anything else ever could. It would also be more in her favor with the powers that be in tennis. Her current demeanor, however, is just begging to be slapped with suspension. Because, if they don't correct it now and set an example, things will only get worse on court.

Good point on the "enforcement" of the rules. That is a major problem in this sport. I could understand any player getting upset, but the issue is HOW the rules are enforced. I don't see why a player can't touch the line. Going over it should be a penalty. But Williams plays her little games with all that screaming..so whatever.

Rabbit
09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Good point on the "enforcement" of the rules. That is a major problem in this sport. I could understand any player getting upset, but the issue is HOW the rules are enforced. I don't see why a player can't touch the line. Going over it should be a penalty. But Williams plays her little games with all that screaming..so whatever.

BTW, my daughter signed a scholarship to play soccer in college....she got a yellow card last game for "giving the ref attitude". She didn't use any foul language (any she'd admit to), but had to leave the game for a touch.

In the boys game, there were 3 red cards issued.

drakulie
09-17-2009, 08:37 AM
^^^you should petition the schools to force them to change the rules. :)

I believe, the posters here who are complaining about the call, and asking for a change in the rule, are the same ones we see out at our local parks, and "make up rules as they go along". You know, the same posters who start threads here on TW complaining they played an opponent (who is a pusher), and kept hooking them on close line calls, which is why they lost.

Rabbit
09-17-2009, 09:11 AM
^^^you should petition the schools to force them to change the rules. :)

Well, we are considering legal action against the school, the ref, and most importantly the other team who caused her to have a snippy attitude in the first place. We figure we'll sue and out of the 3 of them, we should get enough money for her to retire at 20. ;)

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-17-2009, 12:15 PM
My point is that it could be classified as simply pointing out that it was the same linesman on that side calling the footfaults as he never mentioned race or even referred to Blake in any way through gestures. This is why he wasn't punished, his comments were too vague. Also he said what he had to say to the chair umpire.

If it was vague, both Blake and Hewitt would not recieved questions about it in their respective press conferences later that day, and there would be no reference to this incident as being racist to this day.

There is nothing vague about directly threatening a lineswoman.

In the many times this must be repeated, there was no intent, proven or otherwise, hence the lack of legal action from any of the alleged "victims" in this incident. Any future, 11th hour decision to charge SW with anything (after more than enough time to act) will only appear as a cash grab against a celebrity, which i'm sure many a defense attorney would love to dissect and blow away like so much dust.

dukemunson
09-17-2009, 12:43 PM
It was a "tiky-tac" foul and should not be called at that point in the match. In big games, refs allow the players to play the game (except for the SteeleSeahwak Super Bowl...refs took that game from the 'Hawks).

The examples that are being used from football and basketball make no sense. This isn't an interprative ruling like a touch foul or a pass interference call...this is a strict and easily defined rule. Everyone is annoyed when "ticky-tac" calls change the outcome of games in the NBA and NFL, but only on interpretive calls, not definitive rules. If a player steps out of bounds, even by a quarter of an inch, it's out no matter what the score is. If a reciever only get's one foot in bounds at the end of the game...it's still incomplete. Any example of ticky-tac fouls and penalties are obsolete and worthless in this case as they are examples of umpire thoughts and guesses...not actual rules.

35ft6
09-17-2009, 01:28 PM
LOL...on the soap box. Give me a break. who are you kidding. friends (true friends) are people you accept for whatever faults they have. Not talking about being buddies with Hitler, but if a buddy made a silly comment like Hewitt its just that, SILLY. You must have world class friends..the best of the best. I assume they give all their money to the poor, never curse, read instead of watch TV, etc, etc, etc...the perfect person. Again, you are completely full of crap.True friends? My friends are my friends because of their character, because I enjoy being around them. As I learn more about them, their friendship status is subject to change. Judging people for their actions and character, you should try it sometime.