PDA

View Full Version : Ladies' Doubles USO Champs - Before, Durng & After Talk

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Let's discuss what's discussed before, during, & after the ladies' USO doubles champs.

So Serena said a nice, sincere apology that she posted on her website & was read on ESPN2 before this match is about to start. I'm glad she did it!

Well, NO one booed when the sisters came out. I was afraid people might.

ITF executive director just stated that since she wasn't defaulted from the match, this is why she wasn't suspended from playing doubles. Serena could still get fined up to $250K (in addition to the $10K fine she was fined already). She could get suspended from ALL future GSs or just 1 or 2 more.

I still hope the sisters win! And I certainly hope the same lineswoman isn't in this doubles match.

r2473
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
OMG. Serena just bit the head off a little baby and then ate it whole. Little toes and all.

hoodjem
09-14-2009, 11:37 AM
^^^That's the way people are acting.

No one likes really bad calls.

joeri888
09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I still hope the sisters win! And I certainly hope the same lineswoman isn't in this doubles match.Since Serena is in this match, the lineswoman DEFENITELY should be, unless she got the men's final!

How did the crowd react to Serena?

Tennis Fan
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, that was a pretty easy match for them, 6-2, 6-2! Congrats to Venus & Serena! They got a check for $420K.

The moment they won, the crowd gaven them a nice applause & the sisters just hugged & smiled when they won...nothing over the top.

For the awards ceremony, Huber & Black acknowledged the sisters & gave a nice credit to them.

Venus gave nice credits to them as well. Serena did too. She also thanked her fans for their support & that she loved them all.

Pat McEnroe seemed to be trying to get her to say an apology, but Serena said let's move on. I guess she figured her nicely said apology that she released that was read on TV before the match was sufficint enough, which is fine. The commentators said that the sisters are clearly the best doudles players in the world.

Overall, it all turned out nicely. :)

AndrewD
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
So Serena said a nice, sincere apology

Garbage!

I think she was sincerely upset that people were blaming her for something and I think she was sincerely concerned that it would affect her standing with fans and sponsors but that's as far as it goes. I'm also certain that she wouldn't have apologised if she hadn't been forced to.

Keifers
09-14-2009, 01:10 PM
The apology on her web site was a start, but more is needed.

I'd like to see her call the lineswoman directly and apologize to her sincerely and unequivocally. And then in a live press conference, apologize sincerely and unequivocally, without any excuses, reasons, hesitation, shading, attempts to "move on", etc.

This is a Championship Point for you, Serena. Commit to it and do it fully. (This is not the time for half measures.)

kendall22
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Tennis Fan, who are you, Serena's PR person?

Nice and sincere? That is as insincere as an apology gets.

She got cheers because of selection bias - if you were there, you were likely somewhat a Williams fan in the first place. People who would boo wouldn't bother being there on a Monday afternoon.

Tennis Fan
09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
True, I saw how uncrowded the stands were, but again, are stands ever crowded for doubles matches? Hey, I'm sure Serena & Venus were expecting the worse when they walked out there. They won, so good for them.

フェデラー
09-15-2009, 09:47 PM
you people need to stop overreacting to such things. most of you guys just hate them and jump on anything you can get. pretty pathetic.