PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace: Jack Kramer

max
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
A wonderful force in tennis died Sunday. Jack Kramer, the quintessential serve and volley player, and later, a major force in organizing professional tennis.

I still remember his high percentage approach to tennis, and especially the way he advises people in his tennis book to put sidespin on that long approach shot deep in the backhand pocket when you come in to the net.

charliefedererer
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
It's a pity he's passed away.
I really hadn't thought of it before. But recently when watching Tennis Channel's Tennis Greats 1920's-1960's, narrator Adrian Quist mentions that Jack Kramer was quite vilified for quite a while by national tennis associations. He was "stealing" the best "amature" players for the pro barnstorming tours he was organising. I can only think that he must have been persona non grata for most of the 1950's and 60's. He susequently largely organized the Grand Prix/Masters series and helped found the ATP. He helped lead the ATP boycott of Wimbledon in 1973, another move that made him very unpopular with tennis traditionalists. But his persistance paved the way for success of the modern tour. It was a rocky road he traveled, and he wasn't afraid to be unpopular. I guess I had never really thought that much about this aspect of him as he aged into one of the accepted legends in the game.
Rest in peace, indeed.

Dedans Penthouse
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Arthur Ashe fondly recalls Jack "the big game" Kramer's advice to him (after an Ashe match vs. Rod Laver wherein Arthur unsuccessfully attempted a drop shot on a pivotal point in the match): [i]"Arthur, NEVER try hitting a drop shot on a point you absolutely NEED."

One of the giants of the game--R.I.P. sir.

http://www.nedgallagher.com/journal/images/wilsonjk.jpg