PDA

View Full Version : Yet again Nadal denies Federer the chance to level their H2H record...

GasquetGOAT
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
...by failing to reach the USO final for the 6th time (7th in career). If he is the kind of all court player many here claim him to be, he should at least be able to reach the final of USO like Federer at the French, no? Seriously, how many tries does he need?

His H2H with Federer is just garbage and its starting to show.

Swissv2
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
All things considered, at least Nadal got to the semifinals with bad knees and an abdominal injury.
Credit to Del Potro for properly closing the match out by capitalizing on all opportunities.

Federer did his job getting to the finals, so Nadal has his work cut out for him this next year.

Bruguera
09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Nadal has been injured.. Who knows how the final would have gone between Fed-Nadal if Nadal wasnt injured and got through Del Potro to meet Fed.

There maybe alot of Merit to pretty much handing Fed had a win over many players on tour.. But never Nadal in a slam final

sdont
09-14-2009, 11:37 AM
C'mon, you should know now that Nadal wasn't 100%. If not, he would have easily disposed of Fed in the final ;)

Polvorin
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
LOL......

"yet again"???

8 finals in 7 years.....thats awesome...who the fawk would give Roger more chances??

Let's say 4 of those meetings were at the US, instead of the French. What do you think the H2H would look like?

Cesc Fabregas
09-14-2009, 11:39 AM
I look at it the other way, yet again Nadal and injuries denies the chance for him increase the H2H.

NickH87
09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Let's say 4 of those meetings were at the US, instead of the French. What do you think the H2H would look like?

Well its not and it wasnt so there goes that.

bruce38
09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
All things considered, at least Nadal got to the semifinals with bad knees and an abdominal injury.
Credit to Del Potro for properly closing the match out by capitalizing on all opportunities.

Federer did his job getting to the finals, so Nadal has his work cut out for him this next year.

He himself said his knees are perfect. If you counter with he didn't reveal all and you can't believe, then you also can't believe the rib injury. Pick one.

bruce38
09-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I look at it the other way, yet again Nadal and injuries denies the chance for him increase the H2H.

Why was he denied the previous 5 times at the USO?

stormholloway
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Why would you look at it the other way? Nadal would be at a serious disadvantage in a USO final against Federer. This is Federer's best tournament.

namelessone
09-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Why was he denied the previous 5 times at the USO?

Maybe because he is slowly learning to play HC just like he did in grass? Sure he had some brutal defeats on this surface but his results have been steadily improving both at the AO and at the USO and something tells me his goal is to win the tournament,not to beat Federer while doing it. Same goes for Fed beating Nadal.

bruce38
09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Maybe because he is slowly learning to play HC just like he did in grass? Sure he had some brutal defeats on this surface but his results have been steadily improving both at the AO and at the USO and something tells me his goal is to win the tournament,not to beat Federer while doing it. Same goes for Fed beating Nadal.

THey didn't improve from last year. He was crushed much worse this year.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
FAIL. The ATP is not a 2-man tour. One H2H means nothing...

GasquetGOAT
09-14-2009, 12:10 PM
FAIL. The ATP is not a 2-man tour. One H2H means nothing...

Precisely my point! Guess you are new here but H2H is EVERYTHING on this board.

Andy G
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
LOL......

"yet again"???

8 finals in 7 years.....thats awesome...who the fawk would give Roger more chances??

8 finals in 7 years is awesome?? That's mediocre. Dude, thats barely more than 1 per year. Fed has 21 in 7 years..3 finals per year, now that's AWESOME. He's been to 17 of the last 18 finals (94.45%)!! 21 of 26 finals since his first slam in '03 Wimby (80.76%)!!! 10 straight finals from '05 wimby - '07 USO. Now 7 straight finals. Nadal is nothing compared to this.

todd03blown
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
8 finals in 7 years is awesome?? That's mediocre. Dude, thats barely more than 1 per year. Fed has 21 in 7 years..3 finals per year, now that's AWESOME. He's been to 17 of the last 18 finals (94.45%)!! 21 of 26 finals since his first slam in '03 Wimby (80.76%)!!! 10 straight finals from '05 wimby - '07 USO. Now 7 straight finals. Nadal is nothing compared to this.

Winner!!!!

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Precisely my point! Guess you are new here but H2H is EVERYTHING on this board.

I am not new to tennis boards and I know this is the one last stand for the haters. What else do they have against Roger? Nothing.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM

One could argue that at 23 Fed hadn't achieved these feats yet. But I can't see Nadal going on a slam rampage in the next 4 years like Federer.

Swissv2
09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
He himself said his knees are perfect. If you counter with he didn't reveal all and you can't believe, then you also can't believe the rib injury. Pick one.

Rib injury, abdominal injury, etc., all I can say is for a guy that normally has outstanding tennis, Nadal did not show his characteristic great tennis against Del Potro. Nadal's serve was atrocious, slow, and easily attackable, he made numerous unforced errors, he had no power in the majority of his shots, he even looked tired out there.

So no matter what Nadal says in the press conference or interviews, his on-court performance was the most revealing factor here.

TMF
09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Nadal said he didn't have any problem with the knees, only a few folks in here trying to make up story to excuse his loss.

"I going to repeat: He[Del Potro] played much better than me, and for that reason he beat me." -Nadal

Swissv2
09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Nadal said he didn't have any problem with the knees, only a few folks in here trying to make up story to excuse his loss.

"I going to repeat: He[Del Potro] played much better than me, and for that reason he beat me." -Nadal

Three things are clear here:
Nadal wasn't playing his regular standard of tennis AND
Del Potro certainly did his part to take advantages of all opportunities AND
Del Potro played excellent tennis, no doubt.Delete any element of those three statements, and I feel one would not get the complete picture. Regardless of what Nadal says in the press conference, you must WATCH the match to see these things.

GasquetGOAT
09-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Nadal wasn't playing his regular standard of tennis [B]AND[/]
Del Potro played excellent tennis, [B]no doubt.[/]Delete any element of those three statements, and I feel one would not get the complete picture. Regardless of what Nadal says in the press conference, you must [B]WATCH[/] the match to see these things.

I disagree.

-Nadal didn't play his regular standard of tennis because Del Potro didn't give him the chance to.

-Del Potro CREATED all the opportunities not just "take advantages".

-Nadal was clearly playing his regular standard of tennis just a day ago beating Gonzales 6-0.

TMF
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Nadal wasn't playing his regular standard of tennis AND
Del Potro played excellent tennis, no doubt.Delete any element of those three statements, and I feel one would not get the complete picture. Regardless of what Nadal says in the press conference, you must WATCH the match to see these things.

And how is he not playing in his regular standard???

He looks fine to me when he chase down all of those ball like he use to do it last year. There wasn't any sign of him slowing down....he was just as fast as any of his previous years.

His shots is just about the same; top spins, high, looping over the net that stays high. He hardly gave DP much free points on his serve b/c most of the the time he got the ball in play. DP had to really earn it from the baseline.

namelessone
09-14-2009, 12:39 PM
I disagree.

-Nadal didn't play his regular standard of tennis because Del Potro didn't give him the chance to.

-Del Potro CREATED all the opportunities not just "take advantages".

-Nadal was clearly playing his regular standard of tennis just a day ago beating Gonzales 6-0.

-Nadal's "regular" play on fast HC is getting beat on this surface,nothing unusual here. He has only 3 fast HC finals,in Madrid 05',Paris 07' and Olympic finals.

-actually both of you are right. DelPo CREATED chances by taking ADVANTAGE of Nadal's weak,weak serves and topspin strokes which don't work here. That being said Nadal also had chances in the first two sets and his volleying skills betrayed him on BP in the first set and again later when he missed an easy volley which would have allowed him to break.

-as a long time Nadal fan I can say Gonzales beat himself in the second tiebreak and sprayed errors all over the place in the second. Nadal didn't even had to do much because Gonzo did it for him.

Purostaff
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
wow strong denial in this thread...

OP is 100% spot on and you know it.

hyogen
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
No other player aside from Nadal seems to understand that to beat federer you have to hit high to his backhand....

why are ppl trying to battle against his forehand? His forehand is back...stop hitting it there to him.