PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro's level of play

Swissv2
09-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Can Del Potro it keep up?

This scene looks familiar to the Tsonga vs. Nadal matchup where Tsonga played out of his mind on that particular match though Tsonga just couldn't do the same things in the Final.

Looking at the Del Potro vs. Nadal match, we saw a lot of balls coming back to the Del Potro "power house" forehand. Nadal didn't seem to be able to hit the angles like he does on a regular basis - perhaps due to his injuries - because most shots that were angled for winners went out.

With a limited first serve maxing out at 117 mph, Nadal was unable to construct any aggressive attacking games against Del Potro, but credit should be given to Del Potro for taking advantage of his opportunities.

Thoughts?

joeri888
09-14-2009, 11:24 AM
See your sig. for the first time, cool :)

I see the resemblances with Tsonga, the same could also be said about Murray at these courts last year, although he wasn't demolishing Rafa like Tsonga and Del Potro did. I think not only will it be tough for Delpo to keep up this level of play (remember that he did lose sets to Koellerer and Cilic), but also that he won't get that many opportunities and Fed isn't gonna let him swing freely. If you swing freely on the Federer second serve, you are gonna make some errors.

ArrowSmith
09-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Del Potro is a beast. He dismantled Nadal not even playing his A-game.

namelessone
09-14-2009, 11:29 AM
DelPo is consistent unlike Tsonga who pretty much dropped out after that AO victory. But DelPo didn't play lights out or anything. Only people who didn't see the match say that. DelPo saw that Nadal had nothing to hurt him and paced himself. Tsonga had to pull out all the stops to beat Nadal on that day and he was in the zone for the majority of the match.

Most of the games in the first 2 sets were close on either guys serve,they went 30-40,40-30,40-40 and that is saying something when you have in front of you a guy who plays topspin on HC(which doesn't work) and who has a very weak serve. DelPo just played better on the big points and cruised until the end because by the end of the second it was clear for Rafa that he had no weapons to hurt the big guy and DelPo knew that if Nadal got close he could always crank an ace or semi-ace. To me DelPo played much better in Miami when he came back after Nadal had 2 breaks up in the decider,because that was slow HC and Nadal is better on slow HC than on fast HC.

DelPo had way more problems with Koellerer and Cilic than with Rafa so I don't think that this was a real test for the final.

Stinkdyr
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi, Del Pootz here, and I just HATE it when people keep saying I look like Judd Nelson.

stormholloway
09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
DelPo has been way more consistent than Tsonga has ever been. DelPo should have beaten Federer at the French Open. Then again, Federer handled DelPo at the Aussie quite easily.

One player is going to bully the other one around. Del Potro is going to be looking for backhand to backhand rallies, obviously.

I don't think anyone is doubting that this match is going to be more difficult than DelPo's previous match against Nadal.

trix123
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I hope DelPo doesnt let the occasion get to him and hope he can really make a match of it tonight unlike Murray last year.

stormholloway
09-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah Murray was weak last year, but I think DelPo is stronger mentally, unlike Murray and Djokovic in 2007's final.

jwbarrientos
09-14-2009, 12:03 PM
We should keep in mind that Delpo is still 20, a year ago he had 0 tournament and suddenly won 4 in a row, this year got 2, first Master Series, got first SF @ FO, was lost playing grass :oops: and got his first GS' final :shock: lot of improvement in a short period of time.

Where were Roger @ 20?