PDA

View Full Version : 1st String Order

!<-_->!
02-22-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm about to make my first string order and I already have a list of what I plan on ordering. However before I order anything, I would appreciate some insight on the strings I am about to purchase. The strings are as follow:
1. Alpha Gut 2000 16, 2. Dunlop Max Comfort 16, 3. Gosen Super Tec AK Pro 16, 4. Gosen Super Tec AK Speed, 5. Gosen Tec Bio 16, 7. Ektelon Powerplay (PSG Soft), 8. Toa Leoina 77, and 9. Technifibre E-Matrix 16. Also, I'm getting a pack of Gamma String Savers.

So with that said, what do you all think of these strings. Also, how are these string savers. Lastly, to help you help me about these strings, I play with a HPS 6.1 Std. I've used NXT 16 and 17 and have gone through them in about two weeks. I hit with moderate spin, but may have more due to being left handed (not sure). I don't hit super hard unless given the opportunity or angered by my school coach (quite often) :? .

Said quite a bit, and will end this post here.

Thank you for all the help

Craig Sheppard
02-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I guess I'll call you !&lt;-dude...

I only have experience with Alpha Gut 2000 and the E-matrix. I think the Alpha Gut 2000 is excellent. Comparable to a Live Wire XP-ish type string, at less than half the price. Very soft string, but not spongy or too mushy. Very comfortable. Like all multis, it does lose tension somewhat, but I've found that doesn't bother me as much, and it's very playable after I've beat on it awhile.

I've used the E-matrix in 17. Have to say compared to others such as Alpha Gut 2000, or even to Prince Orig. Syn Gut 17, it's not as good. Does not maintain tension too well. Doesn't have any outstanding attributes to justify buying it, IMO.

Would be interested to hear others' opinion of the Tec Bio, am looking to get some of that myself.

-Craig.

bruce nissenbaum
02-23-2004, 04:33 PM
&lt;-_->

I've experimented with all the strings you've mentioned except the Leonia. My racquet is the PSC 6.1. All test tensions were 60#.

FWIW:

I found AK Pro felt stiffer, less elastic, less resilient, less responsive, and more lively than AK Speed. Alpha 2000 was too soft and too lively for my game; comparable to me to NXT strings with a little more durability. Dunlop Max Comfort was crisper than Alpha 2K but still too lively and very inconsistent; seemed very similar to but a little less lively than Wilson Sensation. TF E-Matrix was very soft, a trampoline and lost tension very fast. To me, this was the worst of the lot. Gosen Tec Bio had a 'plastic' feel, low resilience, yet trampoline like response and lost tension quickly. It was also a pain to string.

For me, Ektelon Power Play is the best of all you mentioned (again, haven't tried Leonia). It plays very comfortably, yet firm, with a good combo of livliness and control, it's moderately elastic with good resilience and holds tension well. Very nice touch.

In the Gosen line, I found Gosen JC and BioGut Power (a JC adaptation??) exhibited very similar characteristics to the Ektelon. The JC feels a little firmer than the Ektelon and the BioGut Power. These 3 are my preferred monofilament choices, with slight edge to the JC because of the firmness. I also like the JC 17 better than the 16.

For reference, my primary string is LaserFibre Supreme 17.

While I have accumulated a lot of measurement data during my string testing, remember, there is still a lot of subjectivity in playability assessment of strings. So, hopefully there is something useful for you in what I've written, but review it with the proverbial 'grain of salt.' As I said in the beginning, FWIW> :roll:

kentuckytennisdude
02-23-2004, 04:57 PM
I played with all the strings you listed except for the Ektelon Powerplay. I liked them all but I think you should eliminate the Toa Leoina and add atleast a Luxilon string because the Toa Leoina is just like Alpha Gut. Experiment with the Luxilon and give me your insight. Its becoming pretty popular. I would get the Luxilon Monotec Zolo, its the cheapest out of the bunch plus it plays very good. Try it out! :)

Joe Oldschool
02-23-2004, 05:30 PM
You seem to have quite a few soft multifiliaments selected. If you are stringing these yourself, I don't see why you are wasting your time on multis. You may as well take advantage of the savings of stringing yourself...

Bump up to gut/gut hybrid and never look back. Almost any of the cheaper guts will play far better than multis, and they will stay "playable" far longer. I used to have to cut mutlis out before they broke due to their being dead.

!<-_->!
02-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Sadly, I do not know how to string my own racquets and don't think I will ever get a machine to learn. :/. As for the comment from Kentucky, I dont plan on trying any polyesters and I have developed some arm pain (possibly from swinging like a maniac and trying to hit my school team coach when he ****es me off, which is quite often). Thank you for all the help so far, but is there anything anyone would recommend taking out or adding. Also, I would like to stay in the 7 dollar and under price range. Once again thanks.

Add_In
02-24-2004, 06:23 AM
I have been hard pressed to find a soft playable string that is better then Dunlop Max Comfort. At just under $7 a pop this is the best multi value, of course IMHO. I think it plays better than Sensation but has less brand awareness. I prefer the 17 gauge but it doesnt get the life as the 16 gauge. Also for $1 more it plays better than Alpha Gut 2000.

bruce nissenbaum
02-24-2004, 07:43 AM
I would eliminate Gosen Tec Bio. Though I prefer the Ektelon, I would possibly add Prince Original Syn Gut (no duraflex) to your list.

bayousoft
02-24-2004, 07:45 AM
E-matrix lasts less than a set. 4.5-5.0 string breaker

!<-_->!
02-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Do you suggest taking out about 20 dollars worth of string and buy a set of gut to do a hybrid?

Joe Oldschool
02-24-2004, 03:51 PM
I still don't get it. If you are buying strings on TW, then you must be getting them strung by someone somewhere. What's the stringing charge? If it's the same for all strings, then seriously BUY GUT. Especially if you have arm pain. You can try all the $7 dollar synthetics you want in order to say you have hit with them, but there really are only two kinds of strings...gut and the rest.

!<-_->!
02-24-2004, 06:12 PM
It's 15 for regular and 20 for gut. But the last time I brought in my own stuff he only charged 10. I don't know if he'll drop the price if its gut though.