PDA

View Full Version : Federer-the definition of class.

Fedal Position
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Federer arguing with the chair umpire:

"i dont give a **** what he said"

Fedal Position
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
S*** 10 char

bhallic24
09-14-2009, 02:50 PM

lol wonder if they showed that on tv or just usopen stream. But that was hilarious. FEd was fuming. And appropriately so. Delpo took about one hour to decide on the challenge. Can't do that sh1t. Come on. Why don't you tell your box to call someone and replay the simulation on shot spot and see if it was in and then decide to challenge?

todd03blown
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
the chair told fed to "be quiet" that is what made Fed say what he did....not to mention Delpo took 3 days to decide if he should challenge.

todd03blown
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
you could here it live on CBS as well

jwbarrientos
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
No Verbal Abuse??? Wtf Is That?

ChanceEncounter
09-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I really don't see how you can allow a player to challenge after they look to their box.

You might as well allow them to challenge after they look at the replay.

todd03blown
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
No Verbal Abuse??? Wtf Is That?

The chair should not tell a player to be quiet.

Rhino
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
the chair told fed to "be quiet" that is what made Fed say what he did....not to mention Delpo took 3 days to decide if he should challenge.

When the umpire told Fed to be quiet he said "don't tell me to be quiet, if I want to talk, I'll talk".

Bjorn99
09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
He is not black and a woman, so he will be applauded for that.

ChanceEncounter
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
He is not black and a woman, so he will be applauded for that.
http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/racecard1.jpg

todd03blown
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
When the umpire told Fed to be quiet he said "don't tell me to be quiet, if I want to talk, I'll talk".

yep he did

Carsomyr
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Fed has a valid gripe here. Del Potro shouldn't be given copious amounts of time to challenge, and the umpire shouldn't have told him to be quiet.

stormholloway
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I didn't realize it was the umpire's place to tell players to be quiet. I thought that was odd. If a player has a gripe then the umpire must hear it.

Dutch-Guy
09-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Federer pulled a "Roddick" lol.Mr "nice guy" snapped.

tangerine
09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Roger "don't give me that sh*t" Federer at it again.

sureshs
09-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Fed has a valid gripe here. Del Potro shouldn't be given copious amounts of time to challenge, and the umpire shouldn't have told him to be quiet.

Did you see what happened later? When Fed claimed to have heard an out call and demanded to be able to challenge?

Jchurch
09-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Yea the umpire for this match was an abomination. That 4th set breaker killed me.

remrusty
09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
whats the time limit on challenges?
who cares anyway

Jchurch
09-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Did you see what happened later? When Fed claimed to have heard an out call and demanded to be able to challenge?

I heard an out call. Everyone in the room with me heard that out call. Can you tell me why the umpire didn't just replay the point after that?

sureshs
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
I think it is part of a world-wide conspiracy against tall Spanish-speaking males who don't shave their armpits. Please note how Dick Endberg almost refused to let Del speak in Spanish.

JennyS
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM

The chair umpire was a jerk for telling him to be quiet.

Brian Purdie
09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
we didn't get the audio from the chair. At least I didn't here it. Sure fed said "don't tell me to me quiet", but did the umpire actually say something, or merely gesture?

autumn_leaf
09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Mcenroe: the new rule is that you get 5 minutes to challenge.

that was hilarious. and yes they had it on cbs as well.

sureshs
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Mcenroe: the new rule is that you get 5 minutes to challenge.

that was hilarious. and yes they had it on cbs as well.

McEnroe was noted for never delaying or quarreling with the chair.

doublebreak
09-14-2009, 06:16 PM

He didn't demand to challenge, he asked very politely. The only reason he didn't challenge right away is because of the fan yelling he didn't know what the actual call was, once the no-call was confirmed he asked "well can I challenge?"

Lsmkenpo
09-14-2009, 06:19 PM
That Umpire did a very poor job the entire match, said nothing to quiet the crowds constant yelling of "out" calls, yelling in the middle of service motions, I didn't hear him say a damn word about it the entire match.

Allowed Del Potro to challenge a call extremely late, I think Fed was already in his chair by the time they decided to review.

Didn't want to replay the point when someone in the crowd yelled out, He clearly heard it himself, that was a no brainer.

This guy was perhaps the worst umpire I have seen the entire tournament, why was he chosen to umpire this match, only reason I can see was because he was american and this is the US open, he sucks. It was a disgrace, hope they never let him umpire a final again, because he did a horrible job.

snoopy
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I could be wrong, but in the ump's defense, I thought he told Fed to be quiet bc the ump had the stadium mic on. The ump was announcing Delpo's challenge and he didn't want Fed's arguing to be heard throughout the stadium.

pvaudio
09-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I heard an out call. Everyone in the room with me heard that out call. Can you tell me why the umpire didn't just replay the point after that?
It should have been a let. I heard the OUT! on television as well, so I am not surprised Fed stopped. The chair even had to ask the linesman if he made the call.

autumn_leaf
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
McEnroe was noted for never delaying or quarreling with the chair.

okay.....someone taking things the wrong way today? it was a joke....

akthe47
09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
class is when Federer hits a lazy shot behind the back on his way to his seat and smiles non-chalantly, obviously not caring whether DelPo hits his shot in or not.

With points like that, I'm glad Federer lost this match. dude tries to 'coast' through these championships too easily... he should have had a wake up call from the beginning rather than rushing at the end.

dh003i
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Karmic justice.

And he didn't delay there; he was objecting to being aced when someone from the crowd yelled "OUT". He then asked if he could challenge. He did, and won. It was pathetic that someone in the crowd got the right call, but no-one on the court did.

TheNatural
09-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I think it is part of a world-wide conspiracy against tall Spanish-speaking males who don't shave their armpits. Please note how Dick Endberg almost refused to let Del speak in Spanish.

So that's the Dick Endberg everyone talks about. Endberg is an idiot, I cant believe how he initially dismissed Del Potro's wishes to speak in Spanish. Delpo was only able to speak for a few seconds after he got Endberg's attention again and asked for a 2nd time and then Endberg told him to be real quick.

At the other slams they're happy to see the winners talk as long as they want and in any language they want.

NickH87
09-14-2009, 07:46 PM
They were rushing because CBS are a bunch of dicklicks and the Open went over the time limit. They had a bunch of hit shows on the line up that they needed to air.

dh003i
09-14-2009, 08:07 PM
So that's the Dick Endberg everyone talks about. Endberg is an idiot, I cant believe how he initially dismissed Del Potro's wishes to speak in Spanish. Delpo was only able to speak for a few seconds after he got Endberg's attention again and asked for a 2nd time and then Endberg told him to be real quick.

At the other slams they're happy to see the winners talk as long as they want and in any language they want.

I agree, I felt bad for Delpo when he was first told that there wasn't enough time for him to speak to his people back home in Spanish. At other slams, players are given plenty of time. And I do think that, in previous years, the runner up and Federer were given copious amounts of time. Then, he had to ask a second time, and was told to be quick.

Just awful.

Knightmace
09-14-2009, 08:13 PM
video anyonew?

grimmbomb21
09-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I agree, I felt bad for Delpo when he was first told that there wasn't enough time for him to speak to his people back home in Spanish. At other slams, players are given plenty of time. And I do think that, in previous years, the runner up and Federer were given copious amounts of time. Then, he had to ask a second time, and was told to be quick.

Just awful.

I agree. What was funny is Federer was just handed over the mic and asked to say whatever was on his mind. But the winner, " Answer my questions then go stand over there while I pimp lexus.":-?

r2473
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Swearing at the chair umpire. Much worse than swearing at a linesperson.

Obviously Federer will be assessed a large fine and probably be suspended from all future Slams.

Rules are rules :)

CyBorg
09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I kind of support the chair umpires here. Yes, they have a long leash on players, but this is partly because it's a good idea.

Players have pretty short fuses - they're out there working their butts off and the umpires don't want to be too restrictive on them. So we see guys taking a while between points and we see them taking a while to challenge a call.

The rules that exist are not there for the purposes of hard-and-fast decision-making. They are there to provide some groundwork for the umpire, but are ultimately fluid, flexible. The umpire can bend the rules slightly depending on the situation and context.

For example, after about three hours of playing time the umpire will probably not penalize a player for taking longer than normal in between points and likewise with the challenges.

Similarly, some folks here may be aware that when the umpire says "time" at the end of a break, he is not specifically instructing the players to get out of their chairs. In fact, before every match an umpire typically reminds the players that his call of "time" is a way of getting the ballboys and other personnel ready. For the players, getting on the court is more or less at their discretion.

The umpire's job is so full of nuance and negotiation. I really admire the good ones, because they constantly have to make compromises. Not easy work.

stormholloway
09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Time for CBS to get the boot. I don't ever remember NBC cutting off a winner's speech. Maybe they should cover it.

ghostbear
09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
video anyonew?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZbDDe4eOE

kkm
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
you could here it live on CBS as well

yup, which is a risk of broadcasting an event live w/o even a few seconds' delay

kkm
09-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Enberg is pretty lousy

dh003i
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I kind of support the chair umpires here. Yes, they have a long leash on players, but this is partly because it's a good idea.

Players have pretty short fuses - they're out there working their butts off and the umpires don't want to be too restrictive on them. So we see guys taking a while between points and we see them taking a while to challenge a call.

The rules that exist are not there for the purposes of hard-and-fast decision-making. They are there to provide some groundwork for the umpire, but are ultimately fluid, flexible. The umpire can bend the rules slightly depending on the situation and context.

For example, after about three hours of playing time the umpire will probably not penalize a player for taking longer than normal in between points and likewise with the challenges.

Similarly, some folks here may be aware that when the umpire says "time" at the end of a break, he is not specifically instructing the players to get out of their chairs. In fact, before every match an umpire typically reminds the players that his call of "time" is a way of getting the ballboys and other personnel ready. For the players, getting on the court is more or less at their discretion.

The umpire's job is so full of nuance and negotiation. I really admire the good ones, because they constantly have to make compromises. Not easy work.

I disagree. If there are circumstances that warrant longer time between points -- i.e., crowd is too loud, both players are gassed -- that ought to be accounted for in the rules. A simple way to accommodate both players being gassed: IF both players want more time, they get it. After the time limit is up, a penalty is only assessed if one player is ready to play, but the other refuses to receive serve or serve. If both want to take more time -- up to a certain point -- that's allowed. Re crowd noise, you can say the crowd being very noisy delays the onset of the clock, or outbursts reset it.

Or you can set guide rules and principles for when the rules can be bent. But we need some standard.

The umpire today just made up stuff as he went along, and was unprofessional imo.