PDA

View Full Version : Where does Murray go from here?

egn
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Murray sits around out of another slam final this year and sees another one go to another one of his peers he is supposed to be passing. He gets outperformed by his fellow top 5 (or the new one) and of all the top 6 he has had the worst slam results. With Rafa having a W, 4R and SF, Fed having 2 F and 2 W, Djokovic having 2 QF 1 3R 1 SF, Roddick having 1 F, 1SF, 14R, 13R and Del Potro having 1 QF, 1SF, 12R and 1W. Murray might be ranked number 2 but it is slowly starting to seem as if he is becoming a great best of 3 set but not a great best of 5 set player. As much as you want to say "give him time to develop" we watch players who he is "superior" to outperform him at the biggest events.

It started with the AO when he was pegged a favorite yet fell to Fernando Verdasco only to see guys like Roddick and Nadal who people said he was superior to on hardcourts go deep in.

Than at France after his half fell apart with the disappearance of Nadal he saw himself out to Gonzo and Fed win. This wasn't that bad because Murray does perform quite badly on clay.

However then coming into wimbledon when it was made easier with the absence of Nadal, him put in the half without Fed, and it was supposed to be them clashing in the final he goes out to Roddick. A player who once again he was supposed to be past.

Now he finds himself getting beat by Cilic a guy who he had control of since they went pro to only see Cilic get beat by Del Potro a player who had just recieved heavy criticism for fitness and many felt could not win a slam do the nearly impossible in taking out Nadal and Federer in a row to win the slam and once again leave Murray sitting at home. On hardcourts his best surface where he saw his peers all outperform him.

So after all of this what is going to happen with Murray? Did this hurt his confidence? Should he go to the drawing board? Why is his game not working in the five set matches? Is it maybe his maturity and his nerves?

tikkimonkey
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe one generation of tennis players can only produce so many greats.

clayman2000
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
To win a slam on HC's you need weapons. Del Po has the biggest ground game in the world. Roddick has the games best serve. Djokovic has a huge FH when on. Federer can hit aces, and can hit his FH from anywhere on the court. Even Rafa (early 09 form) can wave his FH like a wand.

murray simply doesnt have that. Now hell never win a slam on clay as Nadal Federer, Del Po and Djokovic are in a different league. And even on grass, hes the 4th best player after Rafa, Roger and Roddick

grafselesfan
09-14-2009, 06:42 PM
To win a slam on HC's you need weapons. Del Po has the biggest ground game in the world. Roddick has the games best serve. Djokovic has a huge FH when on. Federer can hit aces, and can hit his FH from anywhere on the court. Even Rafa (early 09 form) can wave his FH like a wand.

murray simply doesnt have that. Now hell never win a slam on clay as Nadal Federer, Del Po and Djokovic are in a different league. And even on grass, hes the 4th best player after Rafa, Roger and Roddick

I agree with you. It wont be easy for Murray to win a slam period.

usmeagle91
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree except for Roddick. Nadal and Fed weren't around then, so If he was Murray's age, more than likely he wouldn't have won the slam. It kind of sucks for Murray to be at the top of his game with the likes of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic.

Players have bad days, and to say he is overrated or overhyped based on one match is ridiculous.

federerfanatic
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
From here? He goes to his next 20 or so slams and fails to win the title at each. One of the most overhyped and overrated players in the history of tennis.

flyinghippos101
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/flyinghippos101/Andy-Murray-6-07.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx120/flyinghippos101/09slide6.jpg

clayman2000
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
I agree except for Roddick. Nadal and Fed weren't around then, so If he was Murray's age, more than likely he wouldn't have won the slam. It kind of sucks for Murray to be at the top of his game with the likes of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic.

Players have bad days, and to say he is overrated or overhyped based on one match is ridiculous.

Fed wasnt around during Roddicks day? Are you crazy. Djokovic and Murray should be bloody happy they werent born in 81 - 83, cause then they wouldnt even be top 5. From 04 - 05 Hewitt was playing amazing too. And Fed was just as good, if not better than 08 - 09 form

federerfanatic
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Fed wasnt around during Roddicks day? Are you crazy. Djokovic and Murray should be bloody happy they werent born in 81 - 83, cause then they wouldnt even be top 5. From 04 - 05 Hewitt was playing amazing too. And Fed was just as good, if not better than 08 - 09 form

Federer was much better from 2004-2006 than 2008-2009. Heck I think he might have been better in 2003 than 2008-2009, atleast those times he was on. Hewitt was playing his best ever tennis in 2004-2005, and Roddick was playing great back then. Safin, Nalbandian, Ferrero (in 2002-2003), were huge forces back then, as well as Coria on clay, and Nadal starting in 2005 too. I agree Djokovic and Murray would be lucky to even be in the top 5 back then.

The-Champ
09-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Why is everyone counting out Murray all of a sudden? He will bounce back!

NamRanger
09-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Why is everyone counting out Murray all of a sudden? He will bounce back!

We're not counting him out; we're just telling the truth. He simply does not have an X-Factor weapon like Federer, Nadal, Del Potro, Roddick, etc.

usmeagle91
09-14-2009, 07:13 PM

I'm not ****ing crazy. Roddick won in 2003. So, according to your post, since Hewitt was playing amazing in 04-05, and Fed lost in the R16 at that US Open to Nalbandian, then I guess that makes my post not so crazy after all eh? Nadal, Djokovic, and Fed during his prime were not around.

jamesblakefan#1
09-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Murray could have beaten Federer today.

Take nothing away from Juan Martin Del Potro, but Andy Murray is one of the GREATEST BRITISH TENNIS PLAYERS OF ALL TIME! ALL TIME!!!

/Kanye'd

------------------

I think Murray will win a slam. Will he? Remains to be seen, but either way to count him out as of now seems premature.

Tennis_Monk
09-14-2009, 07:18 PM

what you indicated is subjective and isnt objective. I disagree.

It isnt unheard of in Tennis circles for someone to have a hot streak for two weeks and be one slam wonders. In history there are lot of examples. In fact there are more of those occurences in the lawless pre Nadal/federer era. Just shows how good Federer is (and ofcourse Nadal is)

So if Djokovic had a hot two week streak, he has enough game to be with the best and with some luck (of draw, shots) it isnt out of ordinary for him to win a slam in any time window.

oy vey
09-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I think the next GS Djok wins will be the FO.

remrusty
09-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Where does Murray go from here?

home

roddickfan1000
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
i reckon murray is crying right now.

Bruguera
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I see Murray grabbing a slam or two eventually.. Honestly I just seem him hanging in and around the top 3-5 positions in the world. Hes a great 3 set player and those tournaments can keep his ranking high.. As far as slams.. No I just dont see him grabbing a huge number of those.. But definitely 2 slams eventually at least

flyer
09-14-2009, 11:43 PM
he goes begging to brad gilbert if he has any sense at all, hes slowly forgotten evertyhing brad taught him, and he needs a guy like brad because he doesnt have the firepower to outhit nadal and federer the way delpo just did

JohnnySpot
09-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Murray Goes to an Scottish pub, drinks, then passes out in a ditch with his tongue out and a sign saying "will play tennis for food".

Rob_C
09-15-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm not ****ing crazy. Roddick won in 2003. So, according to your post, since Hewitt was playing amazing in 04-05, and Fed lost in the R16 at that US Open to Nalbandian, then I guess that makes my post not so crazy after all eh? Nadal, Djokovic, and Fed during his prime were not around.

Newsflash!! Fed beat Roddick in the '03 Wimby semis. Roddick then beat him in the semis of either Montreal or Cinci in '03 when he won both of those tournaments, which turned out to be the deciding factor in Roddick ending 2003 #1 instead of Fed.

Weathered33
09-15-2009, 03:17 AM
I suspect he'll go out and win the next 3-set hardcourt tournament.

rascaypica
09-15-2009, 03:27 AM
[QUOTE=jamesblakefan#1;3941749]Murray could have beaten Federer today.

Take nothing away from Juan Martin Del Potro, but Andy Murray is one of the GREATEST BRITISH TENNIS PLAYERS OF ALL TIME! ALL TIME!!!

QUOTE]

Its quite sad, isnt? having wimbledon, abut no players to win it.

swedechris
09-15-2009, 03:29 AM
haha.. good one.. he ( Murray) will continue to make efforts and be a threat in 2010. Rafa though , im not sure about his chances going forward.

Peters
09-15-2009, 03:31 AM
I actually think Murray, when playing confidently, does have an excellent FH and BH - he just needs the consistency and some finetuning on his offensive/defensive balance. Even his serve can be a huge weapon - but, again, it still isn't consistent enough.

Also, he can hit a lot of winners in a match if he wants to.

His all-round game is immense and I think he will win grand slams. And once he gets his first, well who knows how many he could eventually get. It's all about getting the first one...

Sure, it's possible he could be one of those unlucky players who despite their skills find a GS elusive - but I hope he does get one at least.

The-Champ
09-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Rafa and the Higlander will claim what's rightfully theirs in 2010. Rafa should take the rest of the season off though..

coloskier
09-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Until Murray gets a decent 2nd serve, he will always be cannon fodder for any big hitter on any surface, now that everyone knows you can step in and hammer his 2nd serve.