PDA

View Full Version : They shouldn't read out the prize money at the cermony

Cesc Fabregas
09-15-2009, 04:46 AM
At the US Open or any major they shouldn't read out how much prize money they have won, people don't want to hear about already millionaires getting even richer, it just doesn't seem morally right with so many poor people in the world. The free car is pointless aswell, these guys are filthy stinkin rich they don't need a free car, plus they will have tons of sports cars in the garages at home.

morten
09-15-2009, 04:47 AM
i agree.....

basil J
09-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Only the top 20 players are rich. The large majority of players from 50 down are work hard at trying to make a living.

Cesc Fabregas
09-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Only the top 20 players are rich. The large majority of players from 50 down are work hard at trying to make a living.

Nobody outside the top 20 wins grand slams though.

LeftSHBH
09-15-2009, 05:05 AM
No, I don't agree, about the prize money. Who cares who is poor in the world. Hearing that prize money might motivate some young kid living in the ghetto playing tennis.

But I do agree about the car. WTF? He'll probably just sell it or give it away, it's not like he lives here in the US. What do they think this is, The Price Is Right? LOL

Polvorin
09-15-2009, 05:07 AM
The fact that a few people hitting a ball around make millions while so many struggle to survive is the problem. That is immoral. Whether they read it out loud or not, it won't change the fact of the matter.

Loco4Tennis
09-15-2009, 05:10 AM
i agree, its assumed anyway that who ever wins is gonna be a lot better off finalcially after the win, the specifics is for him, the accounttant, the tournament directors and so on, not the general public, if anyone would really would like to know this info they could ask for it

Fr4Nc0
09-15-2009, 07:25 AM
At the US Open or any major they shouldn't read out how much prize money they have won, people don't want to hear about already millionaires getting even richer, it just doesn't seem morally right with so many poor people in the world. The free car is pointless aswell, these guys are filthy stinkin rich they don't need a free car, plus they will have tons of sports cars in the garages at home.

Besides, I just dont think Del Potro fits into that Lexus

sureshs
09-15-2009, 07:35 AM
No, I don't agree, about the prize money. Who cares who is poor in the world. Hearing that prize money might motivate some young kid living in the ghetto playing tennis.

But I do agree about the car. WTF? He'll probably just sell it or give it away, it's not like he lives here in the US. What do they think this is, The Price Is Right? LOL

The car is symbolic. They are always given the option of just getting the equivalent amount of money. You will then find the car at a "Manager's special" price at the dealership.

drwood
09-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Quoted for truth

TheNatural
09-15-2009, 08:04 AM
All of the poor people are aware exactly how many millions all of their favorite soccer stars make per year (without even having to win anything)since their contracts are constantly being publicized, so its really no big deal if they hear how much a tennis player wins for winning a slam.

jms007
09-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I agree. It cheapens the sport. The trophy is the only award that should get any attention.

Gorecki
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
makes sense...

pug
09-15-2009, 08:14 AM

I disagree. Here are the stats of 95-100, and even if they spend 50% on expenses, they still make more than 99.99% of the world.

pug

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/rankings?year=2009&type=7

95 Frederico Gil $236,007
96 Rajeev Ram $235,674
97 Evgeny Korolev $230,396
98 Daniel Koellerer $223,707
99 Nicolas Lapentti $220,206
100 Denis Istomin $218,558

Stinkdyr
09-15-2009, 08:27 AM
They must lose so much $ on the chick tennis. ouch.

sureshs
09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I disagree. Here are the stats of 95-100, and even if they spend 50% on expenses, they still make more than 99.99% of the world.

pug

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/rankings?year=2009&type=7

95 Frederico Gil $236,007
96 Rajeev Ram $235,674
97 Evgeny Korolev $230,396
98 Daniel Koellerer $223,707
99 Nicolas Lapentti $220,206
100 Denis Istomin $218,558

How much will they make after they retire at the ripe old age of 29? How much will they make if they get injured tomorrow?

bluetrain4
09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I really don't think reading the prize money is that big of a deal. May not be the classiest thing to do, but hardly the travesty you make it out to be.

sureshs
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
It shows that "the sport is healthy" and reassures sponsors, advertisers, and the public that all is good even in this economy. That is the real reason. Surprised that no one understands this. The same reason that lotto prize winner money is announced and the guy paraded around, or why a failed company like GM most likely still has a very impressive reception lounge in its Detroit headquarters. In business, image is as real as the real thing.

rommil
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
For once I agree with Cesc. Then again, this is America, try and dazzle the people with the numbers. It's in US dollars so they think it sounds good when they read it. It almost gets cut in half when it's read in pounds.

leonidas1982
09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Did they launch fireworks this year?

sureshs
09-15-2009, 08:56 AM

They did, after the anthem before the women's final.

leonidas1982
09-15-2009, 09:22 AM
They did, after the anthem before the women's final.

I always thought they did after the final--men or ladies. I may be mistaken.

rommil
09-15-2009, 09:44 AM

They had jet fighters fly over. Does that count?

leonidas1982
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
They had jet fighters fly over. Does that count?

In the end it's probably irrelevant, as one would not have been able to see it.

rommil
09-15-2009, 09:54 AM
In the end it's probably irrelevant, as one would not have been able to see it.

LOL ok this was before the men's finals started.

Oui, c'est moi.
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I agree.
I can't remember if USO is the only slam that does this.

Moose Malloy
09-16-2009, 09:33 AM

The only reason the Williams sisters are playing tennis is that Richard was flipping channels in the late 70s & heard the prize money being announced at a pro event. He decided then & there that his unborn daughters would be tennis players.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 09:49 AM
I agree with this.They read out 1 million like its 100 bucks or something.There are people who dont even make 100 bucks.

AndrewD
09-16-2009, 01:04 PM

I think it's a leftover from the days when pro tournaments were trying to legitimise themselves. One of the ways they did that was by publicising the amount of money the winner earned - sometimes doing it in novelty ways like bringing the money onto court in a wheelbarrow or big duffle bags, etc. That was more popular in the United States because the events there tended to have higher prize money, more events and more sporting events that generated big money.

I do agree that it seems a bit tacky, especially these days, but I don't think the people running tennis are above being extremely crass.

Nadalfan89
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry to burst your idealistic, hippie bubbles but the players are mostly in it for the money. They want to win grandslams because of the million dollar payouts that come with the win, not because of some metal trophy they don't even get to keep.

It's all about the money.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
The only reason the Williams sisters are playing tennis is that Richard was flipping channels in the late 70s & heard the prize money being announced at a pro event. He decided then & there that his unborn daughters would be tennis players.

That's ok the Williams are bad for tennis. Without them we'd have a million Shreikopovas winning every tournament

topher.juan
09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
The car is pointless. The winner surely has their own car -- and probably a much nicer one (ie. Nadal's Aston Martin... nice!!!) -- they also travel 90% of the year, little time to ever use it. It's nothing more than something for them to get rid of; who cares about a $60k car when you've just made well over a million? I suppose it typically goes to mom & dad or something like that.

Dutch-Guy
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
America is the most materialistic country in the world.That explains all.

babbette
09-16-2009, 02:31 PM
yeah the announcing of the money is awkward. I'm sure it is for the players too.

ASL
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
yeah the announcing of the money is awkward. I'm sure it is for the players too.

Yeah, Del Po seemed rather embarrased when it was called out.