PDA

View Full Version : Serena's interview on Good Morining America

fuhzball
09-15-2009, 03:55 AM
I just happenned to turn to Good Morning America during breakfast for Serena's interview, supposedly an apology for her actions. It turned out to be a 8 minute plug for her new book "On the Line". I've never been a fan of the Williams sisters, but she said that her actions were no worse than others and that the publics' outrage at her threats might be because she is a woman.
After this egotistical, grandiose, excuse of an explaination, I don't see how anyone can believe her sincerity. She must have mentioned "the book I wrote, On the Line" 15 times. One would think, in the face of larger fines and a possible suspension, she would at least try to act a little more humble, but she dosen't care about tennis, or the linesperson she threatened, or the fans. She cares about Serena.

Kevinfiji
09-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Give it a rest dude. Serena's a great athlete and she's right. Marat Safin for example would scream at linespeople till he was blue in the face, nothing came of it, so why bother Serena. Get a life hater!

pug
09-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Give it a rest dude. Serena's a great athlete and she's right. Marat Safin for example would scream at linespeople till he was blue in the face, nothing came of it, so why bother Serena. Get a life hater!

No, I don't think it is time to give it a rest yet. Her behavior was not excusable in any sense of sportsmanship, it does not matter what anyone else including Marat did in the past.

pug

joe sch
09-15-2009, 04:43 AM
No, I don't think it is time to give it a rest yet. Her behavior was not excusable in any sense of sportsmanship, it does not matter what anyone else including Marat did in the past.

pug

Agree !

I do appreciate the fact that Serena is not phoney and will not say she is sorry to help save future endorsements or reduce pending penalties.

If such an assult had been received, the public would never hear the end of it and all kinds of ugly associations would be attached to the attack.

Its really sad that there is no compassion for the linesperson from Serena and she feels justified since she believes she was wronged.

Its also sad that Serena is attempting to compare this incident to other ugly incidents in tennis history. If she only spent soo much time and thought considering that attack and taking a positive approach to making a reasonable closure. Nope, its all about making more money and getting more publicity.

Nuke
09-15-2009, 04:59 AM
She must have mentioned "the book I wrote, On the Line" 15 times.

The books is by Serena Williams and Daniel Paisner. Want to speculate how much of the work Paisner did? In most of these sports bios, the subject has some interviews with the real author, who then writes the book.

JankovicFan
09-15-2009, 05:25 AM
I just happenned to turn to Good Morning America during breakfast for Serena's interview, supposedly an apology for her actions. It turned out to be a 8 minute plug for her new book "On the Line". I've never been a fan of the Williams sisters, but she said that her actions were no worse than others and that the publics' outrage at her threats might be because she is a woman.
After this egotistical, grandiose, excuse of an explaination, I don't see how anyone can believe her sincerity. She must have mentioned "the book I wrote, On the Line" 15 times. One would think, in the face of larger fines and a possible suspension, she would at least try to act a little more humble, but she dosen't care about tennis, or the linesperson she threatened, or the fans. She cares about Serena.Here is a link to a video of the interview. (http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8578251)

fuhzball
09-15-2009, 05:26 AM
maybe she could amend the title to "My foot is On the Line"...

bhallic24
09-15-2009, 05:28 AM
After this egotistical, grandiose, excuse of an explaination, I don't see how anyone can believe her sincerity. She must have mentioned "the book I wrote, On the Line" 15 times. One would think, in the face of larger fines and a possible suspension, she would at least try to act a little more humble, but she dosen't care about tennis, or the linesperson she threatened, or the fans. She cares about Serena.

who are we kidding serena is not really sorry. she apologized because she basically had to. Kanye West is not truly sorry. Come on folks, these people, that's who they are. They are just putting on a show with their Apologies.

jms007
09-15-2009, 05:32 AM
You gotta love that title :)

Bjorn99
09-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Great title.

cheecl
09-15-2009, 05:42 AM
And we should excuse her cos she's a great athelete? :confused: She may be a great athelete but she'll never be a great champion. Do you think you would ever see Roger Federer behave like that? Roger Federer IS a GREAT CHAMPION.

DaMiBru
09-15-2009, 06:18 AM

Spoken like a true Serena-hater, blowing an incident way out of proportion. She's apologized a million times already. I've been watching the sensationalist shows about this topic, shows which generally can count on to show the most sensational sound byte and the worst she said was she wanted to shove a ball down her throat! Big deal! Others have done far worse with fewer consequences. And btw to all critics, raise your hand if you've never lost your temper!

JankovicFan
09-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Apologists are creepy.

DaMiBru
09-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Its really sad that there is no compassion for the linesperson from Serena and she feels justified since she believes she was wronged.

What planet are you living on, she apologized to the lines person! It's not about the lines person in particular, it's about the call!

fuhzball
09-15-2009, 06:51 AM
no, she said she would LIKE to apologize to the linesperson. I guess she couldn't get her number... and I don't hate her (as if it matters) but I'm guessing she has generated $100K extra revenue for her book with this little stunt. Maybe I'll threaten somone at work today and let's see if they only fine me 1/1,000,000,000 of my monthly salary...

JankovicFan
09-15-2009, 06:55 AM
no, she said she would LIKE to apologize to the linesperson. I guess she couldn't get her number... and I don't hate her (as if it matters) but I'm guessing she has generated $100K extra revenue for her book with this little stunt. Maybe I'll threaten somone at work today and let's see if they only fine me 1/1,000,000,000 of my monthly salary...In fairness, that interview had probably been long scheduled as a book promotion, and Serena tried to salvage some mention of the book out of it.

rommil
09-15-2009, 07:18 AM

Nobody is arguing Serena is a great athlete. It's what she said that differs from all the other tirade.

Puma
09-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Spoken like a true Serena-hater, blowing an incident way out of proportion. She's apologized a million times already. I've been watching the sensationalist shows about this topic, shows which generally can count on to show the most sensational sound byte and the worst she said was she wanted to shove a ball down her throat! Big deal! Others have done far worse with fewer consequences. And btw to all critics, raise your hand if you've never lost your temper!

This incident has not been blown out of proportion at all. She is THE leading tennis player of the US. She is a huge draw for tennis, its tournaments and its sponsors. This is evident by the prime time night matches she gets placed into.

When she takes the court there is more on the line than just her win loss record. There is a ton of money changing hands from tickets to people advertising their product.

This isn't her responsibility, but she should be aware of it. She, and others like her are large part of the process that makes professional tennis successful and which in the end pays her a huge some of money. Without the sponsors, advertisers and ticket holders she would win nothing. Nada, zilch. So, the game is circular in that respect. And Serean, by her actions just s*** on it. And to make it worse, she aint sorry for it.

But, what can you do. Shes got her bling already. She just apologized to make all the noise go away.

And too bad for you that you don't realize what I posted here.

fuhzball
09-15-2009, 07:52 AM
In fairness, that interview had probably been long scheduled as a book promotion, and Serena tried to salvage some mention of the book out of it.

You're probably right. She had this scheduled, banking on being the Ladies US Open Champion for 2009.

1138s
09-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure how people could justify her actions. Safin, Mac and Connors all had outburst and should have been penalized more but that does not excuse Serena's behavior. I'm all for players loosing their tempers, but that outburst was uncalled for. If indeed she said " I will kill you" or "shove this **** ball down your **** throat these are verbal assaults, threats, that cannot be ignored. Mac, Connors, Safin for all their outbursts never said those things.

I have never been a fan of Serena. At least Venus acknowledges her opponents in a loss or win and is very considerate to opponents she beats. Serena never does, and has never been a true sportsmen. She always has an excuse for a loss. She may have 8 slams but she will never be a true champion.

llama
09-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Serena's behaviour on court was disgraceful. Her behaviour since then has been both disgraceful AND reprehensible.

JankovicFan
09-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Serena's behaviour on court was disgraceful. Her behaviour since then has been both disgraceful AND reprehensible.Her behavior and words are not credible either. You just don't do a turnaround from being a monster to portraying yourself as penitent and angelic unless there is something seriously wrong with you. If people aren't afraid of her, they should be. That's why she needs to be suspended for some time...give everyone a break and let her know that it's not all better now after reading some script that an assistant wrote for her.

topspin
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
After having seen this interview, it is clear Serena is still trying to minimize her behavior from saturday night.

I really like the early part of the video (when they are showing the post-doubles match inteview) where; JM asks her if her sudden apologetic tone was something that clicked in her head in the past 24 hours. The look on Serena's face is priceless at that moment. It's like she knows she's realizing that smart people are not buying her weak attempts at damage control. Way to go JM for asking that question on center court! And just look at Serena just try to laugh it off as if something funny was said. She's just forcing herself to laugh when Venus chimes in with her suggestion that we 'move on'. What Venus means by "moving on" in this case really means to "let's avoid the truth and talk about things that make us look good".

So then the interview on GMA starts, she's asked about the incident. Serena immediately tries to justify herself saying that she hasn't foot faulted all year. What does that have to do with her current foot faults? Does she not see the possibility that she's starting to foot fault? She got called for it a few more times in the tournament there are pictures that prove she double faulted saturday night. She then keeps trying to put a positive spin on it by saying that she's a 'competitor' and "passionate about her work" and then says she got "a little over excited". Does this sound like someone who realizes the ugliness of her behavior?

I sincerely hope no one is striving to be like her (as she seems to believe). A proper suspension and fine would instill in kids that they are NOT to look up to Serena as a role model.

Then she's asked about a possible suspension. She looks quite scared at this point. She's reminded that her friend Mary Carillo has openly said that Serena should be suspended and this is the ugliest incident she's ever seen. Her reply: "Well there's a lot of things out there that have happened before this". Again an attempt to minimize her behavior and compare it to a different tennis era.

Then she's asked about the possibility that any of this is gender-based. Her reply: "Is it?" followed by an arrogant laugh. Clearly her eyes lit up at this point and she wants to try to put this theory forward. Her little laugh can be translated into: "No it isn't but maybe I can use it and milk this as an excuse for all its worth". So she's excited and smiling again but doesn't want to show that she's too excited so she says "Well maybe it can be a little bit".

She then says that there are a lot of things that go on, on the court, that people don't know about. Excuse me? It seems the courts are lined with cameras and mics and players' actions analyzed by tv analysts and fans. What is she trying to say here? She's clearly just trying to make it seem like people don't understand or don't have insight into what goes on. This is quite absurd. But she's clearly smiling at this point and wants to keep talking about it. So she repeats "It could possibly be that it's gender-based. I don't know I can't answer that". Well she just did answer.

There is nothing new or surprising in this interview. She is just being her usual arrogant self-absorbed self and trying to make a few more dollars by plugging a book that I hope no one will be dumb enough to spend hard-earned money on.

Keifers
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree with all those who've found Serena's behavior very disappointing indeed.

She may be one of the best tennis players ever, but after her tirade on the court and her behavior afterwards (full of glib self-forgiveness and lame self-justification), in my mind, she's no champion and certainly no role model.

She has cheapened herself and cheapened the sport.

fuhzball
09-15-2009, 12:06 PM
who thinks this moment will define her career or will it wither away??

woody88
09-15-2009, 01:19 PM

"Give it a rest dude. OJ's a great athlete and he's right. Donte Stallworth for example would drive drunk and kill people "accidentally", nothing came of it (1 month in jail), so why bother OJ. Get a life hater!"

so is the above what you want me to type? cause I can make some lame analogy too. kevinfiji, perhaps you need to get a life, and see that Serena did was plain wrong, and she can't even apologize until 3 days later, when she knew that now ITF will be looking into her actions. why don't you get a life, and stop your posts count at 8?

Figjam
09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
shes about to be on :"the situation room" on cnn

right now!

fuhzball
09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
saw her this morning on Regis and Kelly. She's working hard on damage control...

topspin
09-16-2009, 08:48 AM
^Oh wow. Yeah either that or she was really sure she'd win and had planned a victory tour. Again, just another example of her extreme arrogance.

dukemunson
09-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Agree !

I do appreciate the fact that Serena is not phoney and will not say she is sorry to help save future endorsements or reduce pending penalties.

That's actually a really good point, as I too appreciate the fact that Serena is not phony in her apology. You can tell that Serena honestly believes she was justified and right in what she did, and as such won't truly apologize for something she doesn't think is wrong...which is actually kind of refreshing in this day and age of dumb apologies (Chris Brown, Kanye, etc). That being said, I think she deserves to be suspended for the rest of the year and lose all her prize money from the tourney. What she did was both ridiculous and embarrassing to her and the sport of tennis, and needs to be punished. While her lack of remorse is in some ways refreshing, it's also rather telling to what she believes and thinks...

drakulie
09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
what a creep.

paulfreda
09-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Serena's behaviour on court was disgraceful

.... What she did was both ridiculous and embarrassing to her and the sport of tennis

... see that what Serena did was plain wrong

" Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper " ........... George Orwell

Not only newspapers, George. Internet forums too.

Why is everyone afraid to speak the truth ?

What Serena did was commit an assault with a deadly weapon while spewing profanity and a death threat. Period.

SteveI
09-17-2009, 04:54 AM
What planet are you living on, she apologized to the lines person! It's not about the lines person in particular, it's about the call!

What color is the grass on your planet? It is about the call? Maybe it was about her reaction to the call and her going nuts on a national stage, stating she was going to... etc.. etc.

Yikes!

SteveI
09-17-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm not sure how people could justify her actions. Safin, Mac and Connors all had outburst and should have been penalized more but that does not excuse Serena's behavior. I'm all for players loosing their tempers, but that outburst was uncalled for. If indeed she said " I will kill you" or "shove this **** ball down your **** throat these are verbal assaults, threats, that cannot be ignored. Mac, Connors, Safin for all their outbursts never said those things.

I have never been a fan of Serena. At least Venus acknowledges her opponents in a loss or win and is very considerate to opponents she beats. Serena never does, and has never been a true sportsmen. She always has an excuse for a loss. She may have 8 slams but she will never be a true champion.

Well...said. Tennis has never seen the likes of her behavior. Tennis will take a major hit for her actions unless they step up and really hit her hard. 6 months.. major fines.. ranking points.. at least two GS.

CaptainInsano
09-17-2009, 05:02 AM

LOL!

10 char

Orion
09-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Wasn't that big of a deal. The funny part was post match when JMac turned tail and didn't really jump into it. He mentioned that he regretted some of his on-court outburts, etc. Mary Carillo is the CONSUMMATE TOOL. What did she do but play dubs with JMac?? She's still riding his coat tails and she abruptly tones down whenever he takes a different stance than she does. You can hear the envy when she speaks about the Williams sisters.

ASL
09-17-2009, 05:30 AM
She was on GMTV!?

rosenstar
09-17-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm sorry but I really don't think it's that big of a deal, there was no physical abuse and no one got hurt. WTA should weigh their options, If it could be detrimental to business to suspend a world class player like serena, then I don't think they should... Words are words, serena, like every other american can say whatever she wants, she's just stupid enough to say it on national TV

rommil
09-17-2009, 06:43 AM
I'm sorry but I really don't think it's that big of a deal, there was no physical abuse and no one got hurt. WTA should weigh their options, If it could be detrimental to business to suspend a world class player like serena, then I don't think they should... Words are words, serena, like every other american can say whatever she wants, she's just stupid enough to say it on national TV

I dare you to try using the same exact words and gestures on somebody at your workplace. Let us know where you end up.

pug
09-17-2009, 06:53 AM
I dare you to try using the same exact words and gestures on somebody at your workplace. Let us know where you end up.

Exactly! Nowhere else in a place of "work" can you behave this way. Tennis has given her everything, and this is how she gives back. Without tennis she would be threatening to shove a big mac or whopper down your throat, since that is where she would be "working."

pug

cdub
09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
OMG! That is hilarious.

gflyer
09-17-2009, 09:38 AM
"a little over-excited..."
I guess everything is relative.

heftylefty
09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Well...said. Tennis has never seen the likes of her behavior. Tennis will take a major hit for her actions unless they step up and really hit her hard. 6 months.. major fines.. ranking points.. at least two GS.

You are joking right? "Tennis has never seen the likes of her behavior." You must be new to this game. I suggest you read "Hard Courts".

rosenstar
09-17-2009, 06:37 PM

Let's say I'm a top producer at my business, maybe the second best person in the world at what I do... then what? they might have to think about firing me then...

rommil
09-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Let's say I'm a top producer at my business, maybe the second best person in the world at what I do... then what? they might have to think about firing me then...

This sounds to me like you are trying to justify that it's ok for somebody at a certain position to talk to somebody that way. If you ever get in that high position, I'd still say try saying the same phrase and manner to somebody. Like I said, let us know where you end up.

rosenstar
09-17-2009, 06:51 PM
This sounds to me like you are trying to justify that it's ok for somebody at a certain position to talk to somebody that way. If you ever get in that high position, I'd still say try saying the same phrase and manner to somebody. Like I said, let us know where you end up.

No, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Did she physically hurt the lines woman? Does the line woman have any bruises, broken bones, or other abrasions? Like I said, words are just words. If the lines woman felt threatened then she should take legal action. If the lines woman doesn't feel this way, then we shouldn't either. I'm not saying Serena is a good sport or a nice person or anything to that effect, I'm just saying that people are over reacting and that it's not that big of a deal.

SteveI
09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
You are joking right? "Tennis has never seen the likes of her behavior." You must be new to this game. I suggest you read "Hard Courts".

I have been around the game forever.. watch,teach, coach and play a ton.. I am still in shock over her actions. I have a copy of Hard Courts.. you think it was cool seeing that lines person run for her life. She was scared shi... less when she went back to the chair.. and I would have been also. Tell me of a worse incident on a national stage in primetime.. by a bigger star... Go for it!!!

HellBunni
09-18-2009, 07:21 AM
No, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Did she physically hurt the lines woman? Does the line woman have any bruises, broken bones, or other abrasions? Like I said, words are just words. If the lines woman felt threatened then she should take legal action. If the lines woman doesn't feel this way, then we shouldn't either. I'm not saying Serena is a good sport or a nice person or anything to that effect, I'm just saying that people are over reacting and that it's not that big of a deal.

really?
you do realize that in every major company, you can and will get fired for any type of harassment (threats included).

the lineswoman did feel threatened, and expressed it.
there are something called emotional scars, you don't have to be physically hurt to be hurt. Just like after 911 in NYC, there were a ton of people that needed counseling even if when they did not receive physical injuries.

OJ ROD
09-18-2009, 07:34 AM

She stopped being right when she said it was due to her being a woman.

Furthermore if a guy would've told a female line judge that he was gonna shove a ****in ball down her ****in throat he probably would've been arrested.

malakas
09-18-2009, 07:40 AM
typical pathetic,cocky,asSerena. :rolleyes:
Hope she gets suspended soon.

Sentinel
09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I am eager to buy Serena's book: On the Line (MY FOOT !!!)

Is it on Amazon ?

OJ ROD
09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I don't really know about Mac and Connors. But I don't really remember Marat being agressive or insulting towards an official. Argumentative yes, but with a point, no more than other players. The racket abuse though...well. Yeah. That wasn't really direct at anyone I don't think, just the floor, and furthermore gravity has fault in that too, but nobody can get it to pay up.

malakas
09-18-2009, 07:50 AM
marat has never told to anyone that he would kill them.

SteveI
09-18-2009, 07:51 AM
really?
you do realize that in every major company, you can and will get fired for any type of harassment (threats included).

there are something called emotional scars, you don't have to be physically hurt to be hurt. Just like after 911 in NYC, there were a ton of people that needed counseling even if when they did not receive physical injuries.

Well said....

Steve

rosenstar
09-18-2009, 08:29 AM
really?

Like I said earlier, If your the number 2 producer in the world, I don't think you'll get fired...

And please, do not compare being b!tched at by serena williams to losing a family member in 9/11. I live 30min from the pentagon and know numerous people who lost family on 9/11, comparing the two is complete disrespect to those who have died and a complete over reaction to serena's WORDS.

split-step
09-18-2009, 08:40 AM
marat has never told to anyone that he would kill them.

Neither has Serena. What's your point?

Lionheart392
09-18-2009, 08:50 AM

I'm pretty sure shoving a tennis ball down someone's throat would be kinda lethal... :)

malakas
09-18-2009, 08:58 AM

did your serena love got you blind??Yes she did,and uso officials also reported she actually said the words KILL YOU.
Like shoving down tennis balls,wasn't a clear life threat,she needed to clarify it.:roll:

deltox
09-18-2009, 09:27 AM

its not about the language, you cannot in the USA threaten publically anyone with bodily harm. its a freaking law, thats the ONLY issue i see.

deltox
09-18-2009, 09:30 AM

depends on how publically your business is, and what your reputation might cost said business.

id fire my #2 sales guy in a heartbeat if i thought he made my business look bad, hell id fire my #1 and the sales manager.

If i own a record label, then this would be good for business :twisted:

deltox
09-18-2009, 09:36 AM

you can up to the extent of communicating a threat. and several other things you cant say publically. serena doesnt deserves to be suspended for years etc. 1 slam should be sufficient, nothing more, just the AO. ITF will rule later this month.

HellBunni
09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Like I said earlier, If your the number 2 producer in the world, I don't think you'll get fired...

And please, do not compare being b!tched at by serena williams to losing a family member in 9/11. I live 30min from the pentagon and know numerous people who lost family on 9/11, comparing the two is complete disrespect to those who have died and a complete over reaction to serena's WORDS.

it doesn't matter who you are, the ethnics department is separate. you harass or threaten someone, you are fired period.

not comparing to people that has lost family members or friends. It was the whole experience, the threat (fear), of it that stayed with people (even those that didn't loss anyone). The threat (fear) that "I could be next".

split-step
09-18-2009, 11:29 AM
did your serena love got you blind??Yes she did,and uso officials also reported she actually said the words KILL YOU.
Like shoving down tennis balls,wasn't a clear life threat,she needed to clarify it.:roll:

TMZ has a recording from a fan behind the line judge.
Call me when you hear the words "kill you" :roll:
(also note she didn't even swear. She said freaking not fcuking.
Sensationalist media :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC1US5U03Lk

NewGuy
09-18-2009, 11:37 AM
sort of a mid-stream capture, with to my ear, at least, Serena assuring the ref that she should be glad that she (Serena) doesn't do that. . .. What happened to the prior 15 seconds. . ..

CCNM
09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Look up the word "diva" in the dictionary and you'll see Serena's picture. (ha ha ha) :)

quest01
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Serena should be banned from all grand slams in 2010, shes a disgrace to the sport. For how she acted towards the linesperson should warrant a ban from all majors in 2010 and a ban from an induction into the hall of fame similar to Pete Rose in Baseball. We don't need people like Serena in the game of tennis.

paulfreda
09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
After thinking about this for a while, I think that a 6 month suspension is too light a punishment. Why ?

Because Serena will just go off and work in one of her favorite businesses and feel no real consequences. She already plays a limited amount and missing one Grand Slam is not going to hurt her.

She should be made an example as they did with Martha Stewart.

She is a criminal guilty of assault with a [deadly ?] weapon which included death threats.

She should be charged by the local DA, convicted and then receive a 1 to 5 year prison sentence. This should then be suspended in recognition of her many positive contributions to society.

A very heafty fine from the ruling bodies should also be imposed.

Then everyone can easily say, she paid the price for her actions and now its time to move on.

DjordjeRosic
09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Well I hope that some of you have realized how much buzz this has generated, not only about her actions but about the sport in genral (even though it may be negative its still publicity for the sport). Eh, I may be wrong but I hope it sends the T.V. ratings up for the sport either way.

-Djordje

split-step
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
After thinking about this for a while, I think that a 6 month suspension is too light a punishment. Why ?

Because Serena will just go off and work in one of her favorite businesses and feel no real consequences. She already plays a limited amount and missing one Grand Slam is not going to hurt her.

She should be made an example as they did with Martha Stewart.

She is a criminal guilty of assault with a [deadly ?] weapon which included death threats.

She should be charged by the local DA, convicted and then receive a 1 to 5 year prison sentence. This should then be suspended in recognition of her many positive contributions to society.

A very heafty fine from the ruling bodies should also be imposed.

Then everyone can easily say, she paid the price for her actions and now its time to move on.

Prison Sentence???
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

You need to move on with your life lol.

Soianka
09-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Before they get Serena for criminal charges, they are going to have to get McEnroe for hitting a spectator with his water bottle on the senior tour.

Carolina Wozniaki for purposefully hitting an audience member with a tennis ball.

Irina Spirlea for purposefully pushing an opponent.

and on and on and on

Enough with the double standards.

Soianka
09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure shoving a tennis ball down someone's throat would be kinda lethal... :)

It's called hyperbole not a threat.

Lion King
09-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Great title!.....

FiveO
09-18-2009, 02:21 PM

One has to realize that the book promotion tour was planned to coincide with this year's US Open for free chances to plug it. Like any other book promotion tour publicists reach out months in advance to shows like GMA and others to promote the release and sales.

Unfortunately for Serena all those plans and now, obligations, to promote the book granted the media access, when under the circumstances surrounding her last public act, she probably would have chosen to lay low for some time.

That being said, despite her "team" taking the temperature of public response, and being too slow to offer an apology, and still appearing unrelenting in their unwillingness to advise Serena to express remorse, it tends to make matters worse.

However, prior commitments and p.r. spin aside, each time Serena has been in a situation to be open and spontaneous. When she could have said to herself, this ain't working, state that the p.r. advise was wrong, she was wrong, her prior statements were ill-advised and really and truly express remorse. She has balked.

That makes it seem to the public that she, herself, is not apologetic or remorseful. By this time it is probably a moot point. She can't unring the bell.

Far different. And the punishment did not fit Serena's conduct. Attempting to place Marat's behavior under the same banner as Serena's is disingenuous.

A fine for that equalling what a journeyman/challenger would have gotten for a similar offense and absent the suspension the player barely ekeing out a break even income was a travesty.

Soianka
09-18-2009, 04:24 PM
One has to realize that the book promotion tour was planned to coincide with this year's US Open for free chances to plug it. Like any other book promotion tour publicists reach out months in advance to shows like GMA and others to promote the release and sales.

Unfortunately for Serena all those plans and now, obligations, to promote the book granted the media access, when under the circumstances surrounding her last public act, she probably would have chosen to lay low for some time.

That being said, despite her "team" taking the temperature of public response, and being too slow to offer an apology, and still appearing unrelenting in their unwillingness to advise Serena to express remorse, it tends to make matters worse.

However, prior commitments and p.r. spin aside, each time Serena has been in a situation to be open and spontaneous. When she could have said to herself, this ain't working, state that the p.r. advise was wrong, she was wrong, her prior statements were ill-advised and really and truly express remorse. She has balked.

That makes it seem to the public that she, herself, is not apologetic or remorseful. By this time it is probably a moot point. She can't unring the bell.

Far different. And the punishment did not fit Serena's conduct. Attempting to place Marat's behavior under the same banner as Serena's is disingenuous.

A fine for that equalling what a journeyman/challenger would have gotten for a similar offense and absent the suspension the player barely ekeing out a break even income was a travesty.

Hmmn. It seems like the tennis going public chimed in with their opinion of Serena and her mistake when they overwhelmingly supported the sisters in their doubles final and booed McEnroe for pushing this non-issue.

Unless "the public" to you means opportunists who never liked the Williams sisters in the first place.

I don't recall Agassi being banned or suspended for serving a ball at a chair umpire and the many, many, many other instances of REPEATED bad behavior by the darlings of tennis.

NamRanger
09-18-2009, 04:26 PM

The funny part is people continue to avoid this video despite the fact that it shows that Serena didn't even drop one single F bomb.

southend
09-18-2009, 05:08 PM
The video is incomplete as to the use of "Freaking" vs the F Bomb. The F Bomb supposedly came in her statement that she would take the F ball and shove it down her F throat. She may have used freaking in the clip, but you don't hear the clip dealing with the ball to throat overture. Believe me the way the media has covered this, I am certain that Serena would clear up the use, or lack of use of the F Bomb.

Claudius
09-18-2009, 05:17 PM
The funny part is people continue to avoid this video despite the fact that it shows that Serena didn't even drop one single F bomb.

That video only shows a part of the tirade. If you've seen the uncensored clip on TTC, you'll know that she did use the F bomb repeatedly.

malakas
09-18-2009, 05:20 PM

I can't hear good enough english to make it out.

So what if she didn't???That doesn't make it any less of a death THREAT.

And I don't give a damn if she said F or not.She could use as many F as she could and still be better than threatening someone to shove balls down his throat.

pmerk34
09-18-2009, 05:22 PM
who are we kidding serena is not really sorry. she apologized because she basically had to. Kanye West is not truly sorry. Come on folks, these people, that's who they are. They are just putting on a show with their Apologies.

How is one incident in a 10+ year career who Serena really is?

DjordjeRosic
09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't hear good enough english to make it out.

So what if she didn't???That doesn't make it any less of a death THREAT.

And I don't give a damn if she said F or not.She could use as many F as she could and still be better than threatening someone to shove balls down his throat.

God, like shes really going to do what she "said", I mean come on, people tell each other that they are going to hurt them in some way or form at one point or other in their lives. But do people do it......NO. The people that do act on their words get punished for it, and can you guess where they go? THATS RIGHT, JAIL!!! YAY :)

Now in all seriousness, why do so many people care... =/

-Djordje

DjordjeRosic
09-18-2009, 06:12 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

People always look at one bad incident and completely base their entire opions of that person on it. Its not as if she killed/raped/abused/molested a individual, I'd rather she scream about it and be dont with it.

Just so everyone understands yet again, no "F BOMBS!" or threats of slaughter and blood shed. Muahahahha LOL

-Djordje

pmerk34
09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

People always look at one bad incident and completely base their entire opions of that person on it. Its not as if she killed/raped/abused/molested a individual, I'd rather she scream about it and be dont with it.

Just so everyone understands yet again, no "F BOMBS!" or threats of slaughter and blood shed. Muahahahha LOL

-Djordje

Somehow she's been hiding this profane out of control real Serena all this time.

dukemunson
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Hmmn. It seems like the tennis going public chimed in with their opinion of Serena and her mistake when they overwhelmingly supported the sisters in their doubles final and booed McEnroe for pushing this non-issue.

Unless "the public" to you means opportunists who never liked the Williams sisters in the first place.

So the "public" to you means the several hundred people that attended the doubles final? Have you ever seen a final so poorly attended? I found it quite telling that very few people showed up to clap or boo...people are sick of the Williams sisters...Serena simply really isn't worth the effort (and definetely not worth the money) to show up and boo...and so she got what she deserved...being derided and condemned by just about every one off the court...and ignored on it...

Breaker
09-18-2009, 10:15 PM

-Djordje

The description clearly states that this is after the f bombs and threats, so stop trying to pass it off like it didn't happen.

DjordjeRosic
09-18-2009, 10:26 PM
The description clearly states that this is after the f bombs and threats, so stop trying to pass it off like it didn't happen.

Well I need to be presented with evidence of this "other" incident occuring, I've only been aware of this particular one, so ya..... but please, please, present it and I will apologize for my arogance and the sheer stupidity of using my mind and eyes to form a thought/opinion and then get bashed for it.

Oh a lot of previous responses had been aimed towards the actual occurence which has spawned all this mayhem, so I'll say sorry for that if thats the case, but I don't think that I've even said anything about her plug for her book and all.

-Djordje

Breaker
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Well I need to be presented with evidence of this "other" incident occuring, I've only been aware of this particular one, so ya..... but please, please, present it and I will apologize for my arogance and the sheer stupidity of using my mind and eyes to form a thought/opinion and then get bashed for it.

Oh a lot of previous responses had been aimed towards the actual occurence which has spawned all this mayhem, so I'll say sorry for that if thats the case, but I don't think that I've even said anything about her plug for her book and all.

-Djordje

How about how it's already been shown thousands of time on television all around the world and on court microphones picked it up. If you're suggesting she didn't say what was claimed because of this 1 minute youtube clip then you are saying that just about every news network/site in the world that reported this story - as well as the lineswoman herself, are lying. If this were the case there is NO WAY that Serena would allow false stories to fly around the world that could lead to loss of sponsors and other punishments. Suits would be flying all over the place right now.

Even Serena herself isn't in such denial over what she said..

malakas
09-19-2009, 12:57 AM
God, like shes really going to do what she "said", I mean come on, people tell each other that they are going to hurt them in some way or form at one point or other in their lives. But do people do it......NO. The people that do act on their words get punished for it, and can you guess where they go? THATS RIGHT, JAIL!!! YAY :)

-Djordje

wow you must be a psychic to know what everybody thinks and aims to do no matter what they say.
I suppose the lineswoman shouldn't be scared but instead laugh at this correct?The crowd shouldn't boo at her and at this kind of clownish behaviour..but instead smile at this and show some empathy...

:roll:
I don't care what she meant to do or not,all I care about is what she DID say.and what she DID say,was that she would shove tennis balls down her throat => a death threat.

paulfreda
09-19-2009, 01:20 AM

This is an interesting question and common error in reasoning.

One would think that all your actions be added up and if the predominance if positive, then the person is a "good" person.

But in fact people reveal their real character in a time of crisis.

Some people will mearly make a logical rebuttal and walk away.
Some people are capable of doing no more than raising their voice.
Others will also resort to profanity.
Others will turn complaint in to personal verbal attack.
Others will also make a threat.
Others will pull a [possibly deadly] weapon and threaten physical violence.
Others will resort to physical violence.
Others will have no problem resorting to inflicting serious physical harm
Others will take this harm to the level of killing, while most could never reach this level.

This gradation of anger is what lets you know who you are dealing with. Serena's character is clearly violent. Many would have no doubt that if that had occurred in a small nightclub she would have hit that lady. No one knows, but it does not look good for Ms Williams.

Anger is one of the seven deadly sins for a good reason.
It leads to violence and the consequences are almost always bad for everyone.

pmerk34
09-19-2009, 07:08 AM
This is an interesting question and common error in reasoning.

One would think that all your actions be added up and if the predominance if positive, then the person is a "good" person.

But in fact people reveal their real character in a time of crisis.

Some people will mearly make a logical rebuttal and walk away.
Some people are capable of doing no more than raising their voice.
Others will also resort to profanity.
Others will turn complaint in to personal verbal attack.
Others will also make a threat.
Others will pull a [possibly deadly] weapon and threaten physical violence.
Others will resort to physical violence.
Others will have no problem resorting to inflicting serious physical harm
Others will take this harm to the level of killing, while most could never reach this level.

This gradation of anger is what lets you know who you are dealing with. Serena's character is clearly violent. Many would have no doubt that if that had occurred in a small nightclub she would have hit that lady. No one knows, but it does not look good for Ms Williams.

Anger is one of the seven deadly sins for a good reason.
It leads to violence and the consequences are almost always bad for everyone.

Ok Dr Phil

drakulie
09-19-2009, 07:10 AM

Serena has had a very long list of burning bridges all over the place. This incident is merely icing on the cake, and a window into the person many people really thought she was like.

pmerk34
09-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Serena has had a very long list of burning bridges all over the place. This incident is merely icing on the cake, and a window into the person many people really thought she was like.

Well I don;t think she has ever tried to hide the ghettofabulous persona.

And she has never acted anywhere near that way in public before.

topspin
09-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Exactly! Well said.

drakulie
09-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Well I don;t think she has ever tried to hide the ghettofabulous persona.

Try reading a bunch of her past interviews. She has definitely given hints as to her personality. I've never read, or seen an interview of her (post match) that is not filled with what are called, "thinking errors". ie, side-stepping, excuses, making a mountain out of a mole hill, grandiosity, god-like complex, "Ms. Good Gye personality", lying by omission, etc.

Soianka
09-19-2009, 07:39 AM

No it's an opportunity for people who didn't like her in the first place for whatever reason (race, gender, personality, etc) to pretend that ONE INCIDENT is proof positive of their already formed negative feelings toward her.

The fact that she maintained her composure during the ordeal in Indian Wells, French Open with Justine lying about her hand being up, the French Open with Sanchez lying about being hit with a ball, the US Open with the repeated unfair calls leading to the creating of Shot Spot, etc....is unrefutable evidence about her true character.

That you would take ONE INCIDENT to justify an overly harsh assessment of this young woman and want to hang her for it..speaks more about you than it does about Serena.

Soianka
09-19-2009, 07:41 AM

-Djordje

Good question.

formerblakefan
09-19-2009, 07:41 AM
No it's an opportunity for people who didn't like her in the first place for whatever reason (race, gender, personality, etc) to pretend that ONE INCIDENT is proof positive of their already formed negative feelings toward her.

The fact that she maintained her composure during the ordeal in Indian Wells, French Open with Justine lying about her hand being up, the French Open with Sanchez lying about being hit with a ball, the US Open with the repeated unfair calls leading to the creating of Shot Spot, etc....is unrefutable evidence about her true character.

That you would take ONE INCIDENT to justify an overly harsh assessment of this young woman and want to hang her for it..speaks more about you than it does about Serena.

Hear, hear!

drakulie
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM

You make absolutely zero sense, and are using a "double negative". If people, as you state, already have formed "negative feelings toward her", then why would they need the incident to form "negative feelings towards her"?? :roll:

In other words if they have "formed feelings" about her, it is based on past evaluations of her, so there is no need to once again do the same.

This is yet one more incident of a long list of dumb doo-doo she has done and/or said>>>>>>> go ask the 15,000 plus fans in Califronia where her and her sister refuse to play, because they feel they are above it all, and the fans are meaningless.

Or go ask all the touring pros she has offended post match, when she has lost, given no credit, and to add>>> has stated she "only played at 6%", even though she barely lost. Sorry, but that is a slap in the face of every opponent she has lost to.

Lastly, the "Henin incident", as far as I'm concerned she was as much in the wrong as Henin. Fact is, she saw Henin put her hand up for a timeout, and served anyways. This to me is being pretty low on the sportsmanship ladder (trying to take advantage of a player who is clearly not ready, and to add, asking for a second to prepare). To add, when she missed the serve, she tried to "bully" her way to get another first serve.

The rest of your post is filth and garbage.

SteveI
09-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Try reading a bunch of her past interviews. She has definitely given hints as to her personality. I've never read, or seen an interview of her (post match) that is not filled with what are called, "thinking errors". ie, side-stepping, excuses, making a mountain out of a mole hill, grandiosity, god-like complex, "Ms. Good Gye personality", lying by omission, etc.

Bingo....have to say... when the man is right.. he is right. Many times I have watched her matches and waited to hear her post match interview. Her view of the match in most cases is really filled with many or all of the things listed above. The best ones and the most entertaining are when she does lose... those are "priceless". She really needs a reality check. Diva with a BIG D!

Nice Post...my fav line is "I can't understand why she would feel threatened"

Heck that girl was running for cover!

Regards,
Steve

THUNDERVOLLEY
09-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Well said; unlike any other recent era pro with questionable behavior (Henin, Murray, et al) the usual suspects play armchair Freud and barf up this latest sweeping, reason-challenged, wafer-thin conclusion based on nothing other than a longstanding hatred of the woman.

imalil2gangsta4u
09-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Good post.

Lionheart392
09-19-2009, 02:07 PM
No, one single incident doesn't automatically mean that Serena is a bad person. I really have no idea what kind of person she is, and don't really care either. That argument is very nice however it's also irrelevant. She deserves to be punished for what happened, regardless of the fact that it was probably a one-off. If someone commits murder, even if they regret it and would never ever do it again, does that mean they don't deserve to be punished? Clearly not. And yes I know this incident is nowhere near as bad as that but just using it as an example. In modern society there is a huge inability people have to take responsibility for their actions, which Judge Judy mercilessly exposes.

LafayetteHitter
09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
You make absolutely zero sense, and are using a "double negative". If people, as you state, already have formed "negative feelings toward her", then why would they need the incident to form "negative feelings towards her"?? :roll:

In other words if they have "formed feelings" about her, it is based on past evaluations of her, so there is no need to once again do the same.

This is yet one more incident of a long list of dumb doo-doo she has done and/or said>>>>>>> go ask the 15,000 plus fans in Califronia where her and her sister refuse to play, because they feel they are above it all, and the fans are meaningless.

Or go ask all the touring pros she has offended post match, when she has lost, given no credit, and to add>>> has stated she "only played at 6%", even though she barely lost. Sorry, but that is a slap in the face of every opponent she has lost to.

Lastly, the "Henin incident", as far as I'm concerned she was as much in the wrong as Henin. Fact is, she saw Henin put her hand up for a timeout, and served anyways. This to me is being pretty low on the sportsmanship ladder (trying to take advantage of a player who is clearly not ready, and to add, asking for a second to prepare). To add, when she missed the serve, she tried to "bully" her way to get another first serve.

The rest of your post is filth and garbage.

You nailed it Drak, not only is the guys post full of filth so is Serena's personality. She NEVER EVER takes responsibility for the things she does or the losses. She never has an opponent that played better, she always didn't play to her standards. She is a disgrace for society and a huge part of what is considered the entitlement population.

LafayetteHitter
09-19-2009, 02:14 PM
On a sidenote it always fascinates me how african americans say that they are not liked because of race. That statement always leads me to think, many african americans dislike various white's so the question becomes do they in fact not like the white person because they are white since they assume the opposite many times?

pmerk34
09-19-2009, 03:02 PM
No, one single incident doesn't automatically mean that Serena is a bad person. I really have no idea what kind of person she is, and don't really care either. That argument is very nice however it's also irrelevant. She deserves to be punished for what happened, regardless of the fact that it was probably a one-off. If someone commits murder, even if they regret it and would never ever do it again, does that mean they don't deserve to be punished? Clearly not. And yes I know this incident is nowhere near as bad as that but just using it as an example. In modern society there is a huge inability people have to take responsibility for their actions, which Judge Judy mercilessly exposes.

There was some match where some white spectator says something racist towards her. She was racially insulted but DOES NOT go crazy on the moron. Instead she goes to the chair and the fool is removed as other disgusted spectators identify him.

Maybe that's who Serena is.

Annika
09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
There is nothing to be said about Serena's behavior that makes it right. She should be banned for a year and forced to go to "humility" and "anger-management" classes. Then be brought back on on a trial basis only.

pmerk34
09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
There is nothing to be said about Serena's behavior that makes it right. She should be banned for a year and forced to go to "humility" and "anger-management" classes. Then be brought back on on a trial basis only.

Right. Just like Connors, Nastase and Mac were for years and years of repeated profane outbursts (and gestures)

Lionheart392
09-19-2009, 03:13 PM
There was some match where some white spectator says something racist towards her. She was racially insulted but DOES NOT go crazy on the moron. Instead she goes to the chair and the fool is removed as other disgusted spectators identify him.

Maybe so. I've seen that incident on youtube and thought she handled the situation really well.
Basically I guess there are 2 things going here - saying the lineswoman situation makes Serena a bad person full stop, and saying she should be punished for it. I don't agree with the first but do with the second.

drakulie
09-19-2009, 05:28 PM

Uhmmm, she went "crazy" with the chair ump, and insisted the spectator be removed, which did result in him being removed. That incindent happened at the Miami tourney.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/03/27/tennis.sony.women/index.html

Furthermore, here are some of her comments after the match:

"Who says these things outside of first grade. At a professional venue you don't do that. It was shocking, I couldn't believe he would stoop to that level."

Looks as though she should practice what she preaches.

pmerk34
09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Uhmmm, she went "crazy" with the chair ump, and insisted the spectator be removed, which did result in him being removed. That incindent happened at the Miami tourney.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SPORT/03/27/tennis.sony.women/index.html

Furthermore, here are some of her comments after the match:

"Who says these things outside of first grade. At a professional venue you don't do that. It was shocking, I couldn't believe he would stoop to that level."

Looks as though she should practice what she preaches.

We all know the details and that is hardly going crazy. We get you don't like Serena Williams.

And you forgot to add the rest of my post is filth.

drakulie
09-19-2009, 06:32 PM
We all know the details

NO, you didn't know the details, as evidenced by your previous post. All you remembered is somewhere, in some match, someone said something racist to her.

You didn't know where the match was, or what was said. As further evidenced by your post, you weren't aware she was royally ****ed and let the chair ump have a mouth full until the spectator was kicked out of the stadium court.

You were also not aware of the comments she made after the match, which I provided you, which clearly show she does not practice what she preaches.

Whether I like her or not has no bearing on the matter. facts are facts.

and two could play your silly little game. ie, "I get it. You like her." :roll:

JankovicFan
09-20-2009, 05:07 AM
NO, you didn't know the details, as evidenced by your previous post. All you remembered is somewhere, in some match, someone said something racist to her.

You didn't know where the match was, or what was said. As further evidenced by your post, you weren't aware she was royally ****ed and let the chair ump have a mouth full until the spectator was kicked out of the stadium court.

You were also not aware of the comments she made after the match, which I provided you, which clearly show she does not practice what she preaches.

and two could play your silly little game. ie, "I get it. You like her." :roll:http://howqua.timorg.net/gallery/silly_images/cat-owned.jpg

jackson vile
09-20-2009, 09:48 AM

The difference is that Serena litterally threatend a person multiple times.

pmerk34
09-20-2009, 02:05 PM

and two could play your silly little game. ie, "I get it. You like her." :roll:

Your post is filth.