PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro: Rise of the Power Player.

Mr Topspin
09-15-2009, 06:08 AM
My thoughts on this win is with total astonishment. I went to bed after DP lost the 3rd set as I assumed that Fed would finish it off in 4. The 3rd set in these sort of matches is crucial and Fed appeared to have taken the wind out of DP's sails. Then I wake up some hours later to read that DP took it in 5. I could not believe it!

I think it is amazing that DP won his 1st slam at his 1st attempt. Furthermore, DP has yet to win a MS or a tier 1 title.
DP really came on strong after the humiliating defeat he suffered at the AO. That is a sign of a champion. Many lesser players would have folded after that heavy defeat but 11 months later DP stands on top of mountain.

I don't think this will lead to a total domination by DP ala Fed or Nadal to a lesser extent but I do forsee a much more competitive slug out for grand slams from now on. I believe that Power players can now hurt Federer. For many years there was a particular type of player that upset Federer's smooth style. Typically, it was aggressive baseliners/counter punchers that caused Federer nightmares. Players like, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Agassi (pre 2003), Canas, Simon, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic.

But this year that has began to change. Tsonga beat Federer in Toronto and Berdych pushed Federer to 5 at the AO and DP also stretched Federer to 5 at the French. In Federer's prime he would destroy all the big power players but recently he is beginning to struggle against them. That is a sign imho that he is slowing down and is not able to glide around the court as effortlessly as he once was. If the trend continues it may be these power players that force his hand into retirement. Federer has always prided himself on his natural abilities and instincts but with these gifts apparently fading and with this loss to a big hitter like DP - every power hitter worth his salt will be beying for his scalp. Federer is now in a position where his reputation is on the line every time he loses a big match. Not that i'm suggesting he should retire. Just that each loss is magnified to the ninth degree and it won't get easier for the all time grand slam leader.

Rafa Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are also in trouble if the trend continues.
Murray and Djokovic in particular have shown this year that they can be overpowered by big hitters and Nadal has always struggled against this type of player. Nadal is in the worst situation because at least Federer is near his journey's end. Rafa is still i imagine in his prime and wil not want to trade one monster, Federer for a whole group of DP's if power hitters do take over the tour.

bhallic24
09-15-2009, 06:10 AM
My thoughts on this win is with total astonishment. I went to bed after DP lost the 3rd set as I assumed that Fed would finish it off in 4. The 3rd set in these sort of matches is crucial and Fed appeared to have taken the wind out of DP's sails. Then I wake up some hours later to read that DP took it in 5. I could not believe it!

I think it is amazing that DP won his 1st slam at his 1st attempt. Furthermore, DP has yet to win a MS or a tier 1 title.
DP really came on strong after the humiliating defeat he suffered at the AO. That is a sign of a champion. Many lesser players would have folded after that heavy defeat but 11 months later DP stands on top of mountain.

I don't think this will lead to a total domination by DP ala Fed or Nadal to a lesser extent but I do forsee a much more competitive slug out for grand slams from now on. I believe that Power players can now hurt Federer. For many years there was a particular type of player that upset Federer's smooth style. Typically, it was aggressive baseliners/counter punchers that caused Federer nightmares. Players like, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Agassi (pre 2003), Canas, Simon, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic.

But this year that has began to change. Tsonga beat Federer in Toronto and Berdych pushed Federer to 5 at the AO and DP also stretched Federer to 5 at the French. In Federer's prime he would destroy all the big power players but recently he is beginning to struggle against them. That is a sign imho that he is slowing down and is not able to glide around the court as effortlessly as he once was. If the trend continues it may be these power players that force his hand into retirement. Federer has always prided himself on his natural abilities and instincts but with these gifts apparently fading and with this loss to a big hitter like DP - every power hitter worth his salt will be beying for his scalp. Federer is now in a position where his reputation is on the line every time he loses a big match. Not that i'm suggesting he should retire. Just that each loss is magnified to the ninth degree and it won't get easier for the all time grand slam leader.

Murray and Djokovic in particular have shown this year that they can be overpowered by big hitters and Nadal has always struggled against this type of player. Nadal is in the worst situation because at least Federer is near his journey's end. Rafa is still i imagine in his prime and wil not want to trade one monster, Federer for a whole group of DP's if power hitters do take over the tour.

yup agreed with all yo points.
And so in summary, cliff notes version: RAFA is screwed.

roddickfan1000
09-15-2009, 06:13 AM
For me i was glad federer lost 2 TB sets, he has a habit of winning them.

Cup8489
09-15-2009, 06:14 AM

honestly, federer isn't moving any slower, it's just that these big powerful guys, del potro as a prime example, are getting faster and adding new facets to their game OTHER than power to beat him.

At the AO, Berdych basically crushed every short ball he got. Anyone would have trouble against such tactics, especially if they're being executed to perfection (which, in sets 1 and 2, they were). Likewise, del potro took every opportunity federer gave him, while federer did not reciprocate. Had federer served a higher percentage, the match could easily have gone his way.

And Nadal is getting blown off the court more by these big hitters than Federer (see FO, soderling, USO, del potro). Anyone who is that aggressive to the short ball is gonna have success. Fed's success has been built on the fact that for his Major career, he did the same thing, making you pay for leaving a ball short.

The real advantage for these big guys is the serving power, hence holding power, combined with great movement and possession of all the fundamental shots. Essentially, although del potro certainly doesn't have as elegant a game as Federer, his is very similar, reliant on steady shotmaking and aggressive play.

jwbarrientos
09-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Hey Mr Topspin, you don't have to sleep like in a tennis match, anyhow I think Cincinatti is a Master Series, right?

I can see (guess) that Roger will have 3/4 year among top 10, probably more, getting GS here and there.

I'm concerned about Rafa's body, he needs to slow down, paying attention, he's young to have those troubles.

I posted, and many laughed :twisted: that tall boys, such as Delpo, Cilic, Isner are getting better compared with the traditional stereotype.

darthpwner
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Del Potro has the most upside of Berdych and Tsonga since he's the youngest. I do believe that Marin Cilic will likely become a dangerous threat too. The power giants are going to take over tennis like expected in the 90s when they had fast grass.

wyutani
09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
u mean rise of the tall people.

atatu
09-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Did this match remind anyone of the Safin/Sampras match ? Although it wasn't a blowout like that match was, it marked the beginning of the end for Sampras. However, Safin never really fufilled the promise he showed that day at the Open, it will be interesting to see how Del Potro deals with the expectations.

sureshs
09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Agassi says that tennis generations span 5 years. Fed's time is up. From now on, it will be about the big guys like Del, Isner, Querrey and Ivo. "Small" guys like Roddick and Federer will be remembered the way we remember "little" Rod Laver today.

atatu
09-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Agassi says that tennis generations span 5 years. Fed's time is up. From now on, it will be about the big guys like Del, Isner, Querrey and Ivo. "Small" guys like Roddick and Federer will be remembered the way we remember "little" Rod Laver today.

When you say "like" Isner and Ivo, I assume you mean similar in size and not in abilitly, because neither one of those guys is ever going to win a major, Querrey is a longshot. From what I can see we've got Del Potro and Cilic out there but I don't see too many other guys over 6'5" who are going to win slams anytime in the next five years.

Fedace
09-15-2009, 07:51 AM
He hits the ball too hard. could be called boring player.

tlm
09-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Delpo does have the chance to be special, but tennis is not going to be taking over by the giants.

urban
09-15-2009, 08:09 AM
I also thought of the Sampras-Safin match. Both Sampras and Federer came in on a high note, after breaking the majors record, and ran into a big guy of 20. But there are differences: Safin played a faultless match, one of the best i have seen, and gave Sampras no chance at all. He also had beaten Sampras just before, at the Canadian after defending some match points. Del Potro had never beaten Federer, a big psychological burden.
Federer lost it imo not on serve, but on the return. His indifferent returns set up the big forehands by Delpo. For the first time, someone was outhitting Federer in forehand to forehand duels. When Federer began to run around his backhand and made many forehands mishits due to poor standing, it was over for him.
Remembering Safins performance, it was a real shame, that he could not continue his fine form. Only at AO in 2005 he reached those heights again. He had the same power as Delpo, but was more mobile, also in vertical movement and net play, also had the better backhand flank.

coloskier
09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Del Potro has the most upside of Berdych and Tsonga since he's the youngest. I do believe that Marin Cilic will likely become a dangerous threat too. The power giants are going to take over tennis like expected in the 90s when they had fast grass.

Can't forget to add Soderling to this mix.

babbette
09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
RAFA is screwed.

hmm, don't be so sure of yourself yet. Rafa has beaten him before on clay, grass and hard. Del potro still has to prove himself on other surfaces.

pines2222
09-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I think one question that will be asked is whether hitting flatter is coming back, particularly away from clay. Some of Delpo's forehands, both against Nadal and against Federer, were ridiculous in the timing required to execute them, but my guess is that there are going to be more players in the future who are actually going to be able to hit these shots with some regularity, and it may be the best way to beat someone like Nadal (certainly, you can't beat Nadal at his own game...). Assuming the groundies-focused game remains, I think there may be a lot of arguments of the next couple of years about how much players should balance safer topspin shots (and winners via angles) vs. going for winners with flatter shots. Undoubtedly, the flat hitters are going to be less consistent (e.g., Delpo, Tsonga), but if they get hot, do they actually have a better shot of getting to slam finals (particularly as Federer starts getting older)? And can someone like a Murray actually win in an environment of big, flat hitters?

namelessone
09-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm not buying into the "tall players rule" hype. Name other tall players besides Soderling(beat Nadal at RG and got stopped only by Fed at GS's) and DelPo(beat Roger and Rafa to win USO and advanced pretty far into most GS'S with the exception of wimbledon) that did any remarkable things this year.

For example Isner beat Roddick. Then he got beat by Verdasco,a guy who choked the match againt Djokovic,who in turn got beat convincingly by Fed. Fed in turn loses to a tall guy,DelPo. But I ask you this? What did Isner achieve before USO? Or querrey? Or Karlovic? Or Monfils? Not much.
For the moment Isner and Cilic achieved some big upsets but if they don't repeat this form in the next tournaments then those upsets will be written off as flukes.

The only red hot tall guys this year have been Soderling and DelPo. Most of the top guys(Fed,Rafa,Djoker,Murray,Roddick,Verdasco) are normal height for a tennis player. Until I see a top 10 made of 6'4 -6'6 guys I'm not buying the hype.

drgreenthumb
09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
But this year that has began to change. Tsonga beat Federer in Toronto and Berdych pushed Federer to 5 at the AO and DP also stretched Federer to 5 at the French. In Federer's prime he would destroy all the big power players but recently he is beginning to struggle against them. That is a sign imho that he is slowing down and is not able to glide around the court as effortlessly as he once was. If the trend continues it may be these power players that force his hand into retirement. Federer has always prided himself on his natural abilities and instincts but with these gifts apparently fading and with this loss to a big hitter like DP - every power hitter worth his salt will be beying for his scalp. Federer is now in a position where his reputation is on the line every time he loses a big match. Not that i'm suggesting he should retire. Just that each loss is magnified to the ninth degree and it won't get easier for the all time grand slam leader..

First off, I cant believe you fell asleep on one of the most exciting grand slams final or any tennis match for 2009. Even with Fed winning on the third set win, Del Po was putting maintain the pressure and fought tooth by tooth.

Second, IMO Fed played excellent (including the 5th set) and no signs of him slowing down.

On the other hand, it was about time the BIG power players finally caught up with the Federer and Nadal dominance. Im still expecting Fed to bag 3-4 slams.

Moose Malloy
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Did this match remind anyone of the Safin/Sampras match ? Although it wasn't a blowout like that match was, it marked the beginning of the end for Sampras. However, Safin never really fufilled the promise he showed that day at the Open, it will be interesting to see how Del Potro deals with the expectations

It also reminded me of how they both turned around their games after a disaster in Australia(Safin was fined for not trying at the '00 AO & Del Potro basically tanked vs Fed there this year)

From now on, it will be about the big guys like Del, Isner, Querrey and Ivo. "Small" guys like Roddick and Federer will be remembered the way we remember "little" Rod Laver today.

That's cute. I've been hearing that giants were about to dominate pro tennis since the late 80s(from people like Mac & Ashe)

One major doesn't mean much as far as the average height of the tour goes(you do know that '96 W Champion Krajicek was 6'5, right?)