PDA

View Full Version : current top 5 (2009) v Top 5 (2004/05)

roddickfan1000
09-15-2009, 05:10 AM
I've seen a few posters in a different thread saying that a few people were lucky that they weren't playing in the era where the slam champions of a few years ago were playing there best tennis. So i have decided to make a thread on which top 5 was better - the current one or the top 5 in 2005 or so. I'm talking about the level of play from each individual.

2005 - ish

Federer
Nadal
Roddick (switched places a few times with hewitt and safin)
Hewitt
Safin

Federer
Nadal
Murray
Djokovic
JMDP

I actually think that the likes of federer/roddick/hewitt/safin were better when they won slams and were #1, but that's just my opinion. Obviously nadal has always improved. I feel that if hewitt and roddick, and even safin stuck to there weapons (or didn't get injured, in hewitt's game) they would have won more slams and possibly have won a slam each this year.

Nadal impoved and so did federer (marginally).

I think that the top 5 of a few years ago was stronger then than now. Yes, federer won the majority of slams, but i think his level has dipped this year and last year.

So which top 5 is stronger. Please, noone say 2009 due to the fact that murray hasn't won a slam, he is still a good player :)

Henry Kaspar
09-15-2009, 05:56 AM
I've seen a few posters in a different thread saying that a few people were lucky that they weren't playing in the era where the slam champions of a few years ago were playing there best tennis. So i have decided to make a thread on which top 5 was better - the current one or the top 5 in 2005 or so. I'm talking about the level of play from each individual.

2005 - ish

Federer
Nadal
Roddick (switched places a few times with hewitt and safin)
Hewitt
Safin

Federer
Nadal
Murray
Djokovic
JMDP

I actually think that the likes of federer/roddick/hewitt/safin were better when they won slams and were #1, but that's just my opinion. Obviously nadal has always improved. I feel that if hewitt and roddick, and even safin stuck to there weapons (or didn't get injured, in hewitt's game) they would have won more slams and possibly have won a slam each this year.

Nadal impoved and so did federer (marginally).

I think that the top 5 of a few years ago was stronger then than now. Yes, federer won the majority of slams, but i think his level has dipped this year and last year.

So which top 5 is stronger. Please, noone say 2009 due to the fact that murray hasn't won a slam, he is still a good player :)

You've post-prime Hewitt, volatile Safin, and stagnating Roddick in this poll. All these are great champions, but by 2005 their time in the sun was up -- they wouldn't win any more big titles. Thus I go for today's line-up -- there's far more promise in there. Whether it will materialize oinly tiome can tell, of course.

roddickfan1000
09-15-2009, 06:14 AM
You've post-prime Hewitt, volatile Safin, and stagnating Roddick in this poll. All these are great champions, but by 2005 their time in the sun was up -- they wouldn't win any more big titles. Thus I go for today's line-up -- there's far more promise in there. Whether it will materialize oinly tiome can tell, of course.

they would be top 5 players in there 2005 form.

lawrence
09-15-2009, 06:33 AM
A more interesting argument would be to ask:

2005 Top5 in their primes

Federer
Nadal
Roddick
Hewitt
Safin

vs

2009 Top5 in their primes

Federer
Nadal
Murray
Djokovic
JMDP

Of course Federer and Nadal cancel each other out though, so it would really boil down to

Prime Roddick Hewitt Safin vs Prime Djokovic Murray Delpo

I know Murray Djoko and Delpo may have not hit their primes yet, but lets just use their best matches for skill-rating sake.

roddickfan1000
09-15-2009, 06:34 AM
^^^i'm prepared to go along with that. WOuld still pick safin/roddick and hewitt though

tvp900
09-15-2009, 07:13 AM
2009 was stronger, but 2005 had more variety. You have the all round player, the quick baseline grinder, the big server, the big returning counter-puncher, and the big backhand.

roddickfan1000
09-15-2009, 07:18 AM
2009 was stronger, but 2005 had more variety. You have the all round player, the quick baseline grinder, the big server, the big returning counter-puncher, and the big backhand.

I respectfully disagree, i think if roddick and hewitt or even safin played like this in the last few seasons they would have more slam titles.