PDA

View Full Version : Federer's Wimbledon and USO streaks ended on a high note

Sartorius
09-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Think about it.

Federer's 5 in a row Wimbledon streak ended against his main rival Nadal, at the final, in a match for the ages.

His 5 in a row at USO ended against a very talented youngster, again in the final, and again in an epic match.

I think that's something. In both cases, he made his last stand at the final, fought for his throne at that very throne. And in both he went down with a fight, made his opponent give a great effort. Despite all the negative talk about him after every one of his losses, he proves time after time: He belongs to the biggest stages in tennis; win or lose, he's there at the last hurdle. I think that's great, and I think he should be proud.

bolo
09-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Think about it.

Federer's 5 in a row Wimbledon streak ended against his main rival Nadal, at the final, in a match for the ages.

His 5 in a row at USO ended against a very talented youngster, again in the final, and again in an epic match.

I think that's something. In both cases, he made his last stand at the final, fought for his throne at that very throne. And in both he went down with a fight, made his opponent give a great effort. Despite all the negative talk about him after every one of his losses, he proves time after time: He belongs to the biggest stages in tennis; win or lose, he's there at the last hurdle. I think that's great, and I think he should be proud.

Good post.

zagor
09-15-2009, 06:43 AM
True,if you have to lose atleast lose in a five setter.Atleast Fed didn't made it easy for both Rafa and Delpo.

Grover Sparkman
09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
There's nothing wrong with Federer losing to either of those guys. Del Potro is going to be a star player very soon. And as much as I like both of those guys (Federer and Nadal), I'm glad to see some variety. 10 or so out of the last 11 have seen either Fed or Nadal take the title.

EtePras
09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Unlike Sampras who gave up his Wimbledon in three straight sets to a one slam wonder, and never had any streak at the US Open.

ksbh
09-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Some of you Fed fools need to give up your bitter attitude. You make the other genuine Federer fans look bad. What the hell does this thread have to do with Sampras?

But since you mention it, I might as well add my thoughts on the subject. Just for the record, Sampras never lost a 6-0 set in a grand slam final. And neither did he lose a Wimbledon final ever, much less to a baseliner. Rafa Nadal, in my opinion, is an all-court player but the Federer fans like to think of him as a baseliner, so there!

There's many more but I'll stop here for now!

Unlike Sampras who gave up his Wimbledon in three straight sets to a one slam wonder, and never had any streak at the US Open.

Blinkism
09-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Good points, OP.

It's better than Hewitt losing the first round in 2003 while defending his Wimbledon prize

Or Sampras losing in the 4th round while defending his Wimbledon

Or Nadal losing in the 4th round :(

Fed's consistency is to be feared and respected

P_Agony
09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Yep, Fed is always there in the grand slams. He might now win, but he'll always in the final or at least semi final, and is always the man to beat in slams. And like he said once, it'll take a spectecular performence to beat him in a major, and DP indeed showed that kind of performence.