PDA

View Full Version : Federer + Fatherhood = No more Grand Slams

jorel
09-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Has he lost the edge?Ö He didnít even seem upset at losing the Final

Has fatherhood given him some perspective and therefore a less obsessive desire to add onto his greatness?

(if he never wins another in the FUTURE.. i want the credit for calling it!!!):confused:

jrepac
09-15-2009, 07:14 AM
maybe it has mellowed him a bit....but Agassi and Connors won slams after they became daddies....not sure why it would be a problem

bhallic24
09-15-2009, 07:16 AM
fed needs to get some sleep. Tell mirka to milk for those babies cuz papa's gotta bring home the dough.

mandy01
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
its not going to be easy..especially with him having twins.But hey,he's done all he could and I'm sure he'll still try :D
He's happy,thats all that matters.

ExarionUniverse19
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
We asked this same question after Wimbledon last year and the Australian Open this year. Both times, Federer responded with a dominant performance in the next GS final.

Is he as "obsessed" about winning as he was before the 15th GS? No. Is he still the best player? Yes.

Federer will continue to win slams as long as he remains healthy and Nadal doesn't. Regardless of what happened last night, he's still in a league of his own.

larry10s
09-15-2009, 07:19 AM
We asked this same question after Wimbledon last year and the Australian Open this year. Both times, Federer responded with a dominant performance in the next GS final.

Is he as "obsessed" about winning as he was before the 15th GS? No. Is he still the best player? Yes.

Federer will continue to win slams as long as he remains healthy and Nadal doesn't. Regardless of what happened last night, he's still in a league of his own.

^^^^^ very astute comments

Bud
09-15-2009, 07:23 AM

^^^^^ very astute comments

He wasn't a father, then :oops:

The title of this thread - "Federer + Fatherhood = No more Grand Slams"

Stinkdyr
09-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Yep, Fed is a fat happy father now. Fed must be regretting those charity points and games he threw in the 2nd set. And his serve % was low throughout. He should have used a strategy of making the big guy cover more court side to side to exhaust him. And finally, Fed ran out of gas in the 5th cuz he is entering the twilight of his career.

sureshs
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Clijsters + motherhood = many more Grand Slams
Davenport + motherhood = No more Grand Slams
Navratilova + motherhood = let us not go there
Hewitt + fatherhood = No more Grand Slams
Roddick + anything = No more Grand Slams

David L
09-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Has fatherhood given him some perspective and therefore a less obsessive desire to add onto his greatness?

(if he never wins another in the FUTURE.. i want the credit for calling it!!!):confused:
No. He will continue to win Slams.

ExarionUniverse19
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
He wasn't a father, then :oops:

The title of this thread - "Federer + Fatherhood = No more Grand Slams"

Fatherhood might take away from Federer's time, but it won't change the fact that he's the most skilled player on the tour, except maybe Nadal. But Nadal, who always ends up on the opposite side of the draw, can't seem to make it to finals these days.

Federer is - and you might even get him to admit it - on the decline of his career, both mentally and physically. But a decline from 15 slams is a lot different than a decline from 3-4 slams. He'll probably win 2-3 more before it's all said and done. I can only see that not happening if 1) Federer retires, or 2) Nadal starts making finals again.

David L
09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Fatherhood might take away from Federer's time, but it won't change the fact that he's the most skilled player on the tour, except maybe Nadal. But Nadal, who always ends up on the opposite side of the draw, can't seem to make it to finals these days.

Federer is - and you might even get him to admit it - on the decline of his career, both mentally and physically. But a decline from 15 slams is a lot different than a decline from 3-4 slams. He'll probably win 2-3 more before it's all said and done. I can only see that not happening if 1) Federer retires, or 2) Nadal starts making finals again.
I think he's going to win more than 2-3, provided he remains healthy and motivated.

Cyan
09-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Stats don't lie. In the past 20 yrs, fathers only managed to win 1 slam or no slams at all. So the best case scenario he wins 1 more...

zagor
09-15-2009, 07:58 AM
I think he's going to win more than 2-3, provided he remains healthy and motivated.

Welcome back David L.

jrepac
09-15-2009, 08:12 AM
LOL! Yes, Fed has earned the right to his sleep, I think....

let Mamma feed the kiddies while he saves his energy for his youthful opponents...

jrepac
09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Having kids and "not winning" may just be coincidental.....Evonne Goolagong beat Evert at Wimbledon after becoming a mom...quite a feat....and didn't connors win at least 3 slams after he became a dad (not just 1)?

it may be a psychological thing, I suppose...can you fully focus on your tennis when the kiddies are around?

David L
09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Welcome back David L.
Hello zagor. Thanks.

GoDawgs2011
09-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Stats don't lie. In the past 20 yrs, fathers only managed to win 1 slam or no slams at all. So the best case scenario he wins 1 more...

Haha, using this logic right before Wimbledon, you could have said
"Stats don't lie. In the past 20 years, no one has won more than 14 grandslams. So best case scenario, he wins 0 more..."

I was surprised that he didn't care as much either- but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability to win or that he won't win.

Cyan
09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Haha, using this logic right before Wimbledon, you could have said
"Stats don't lie. In the past 20 years, no one has won more than 14 grandslams. So best case scenario, he wins 0 more..."

I was surprised that he didn't care as much either- but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability to win or that he won't win.

It is different. Very few players can win more than 10 slams. So it has not been put to test too often. But many fathers have played pro tennis in the past 20 yrs and that has been put to test more often.

rocket
09-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Winning a slam takes a lot out of you. Many ppl don't realize that & expect Fed to win day-in & day-out. He already won 2 slams this year, just became a dad, just turned 28 was once again in the USO final. That's quite an achievement for a 28-yr-old.

amx13
09-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I think it has nothing to do with fatherhood...its all about his serve. If he serves like he did on the wimbledon final, he will win at least another 2 slams. If he serves like last night, it will be hard for him to win another one.

ArrowSmith
09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Guys, he's winning the CYGS in 2010.

Cyan
09-15-2009, 08:42 AM
^ :lol: ...............

MakeSenseNotBabies
09-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Do I know what product I'm selling? No...
Do I know what I'm doing today? No...

But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot...

Purostaff
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
yea he's lost the edge, his draw was a joke and choked away the final...

I'd say he's a little less arrogrant, but that's subjective

GoDawgs2011
09-15-2009, 09:49 AM
It is different. Very few players can win more than 10 slams. So it has not been put to test too often. But many fathers have played pro tennis in the past 20 yrs and that has been put to test more often.

Perhaps but along those same lines, how many of those fathers have had the skill and ability that Federer has?

All I'm saying is that as it pertains to attempts to try to predict Federer's future, precedent means very little.