PDA

View Full Version : Fed v. Del P match stats

jstr
09-15-2009, 07:17 AM
The play in this US open final appeared to be similar to that of the AO final
'09 ... Even Fed's sloppy shots in the 5th were reminiscient... Stats : http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day19/1701ms.html
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/day21/1701ms.html

larry10s
09-15-2009, 07:22 AM
even roger either gets tight or has a bad serving day. as the serve goes there goes the game. unforced errors dont help. or they are a sign the opponent wont let him play safe and he has to go for more

RalphNYC
09-15-2009, 07:26 AM
I agree - it was similar. When his first serve isn't working Fed gets into a state of mind we've been seeing quite a lot of lately - and he can't really get out of it.

His footwork gets sloppier and he starts hitting groundstrokes with less confidence and power. Not taking anything away from DelPo here, but Fed's serve and unforced error count (including 11 double faults) were a real game changer.

dh003i
09-15-2009, 07:31 AM
I agree - it was similar. When his first serve isn't working Fed gets into a state of mind we've been seeing quite a lot of lately - and he can't really get out of it.

His footwork gets sloppier and he starts hitting groundstrokes with less confidence and power. Not taking anything away from DelPo here, but Fed's serve and unforced error count (including 11 double faults) were a real game changer.

I agree. Basically, his serve lost him the match. That is entirely in his control, and he could've won that match on his serve alone several times over again.

But that's the way it goes. He won't always play his best tennis. Credit to Delpo, he hung in there, didn't give up, and upped his game to play some great tennis.

Hopefully, Federer can figure something out with his serve. Maybe it's just bad luck, but that's twice in slam finals where his serve let him down this year. At the FO, his serve was very good, and at Wimbledon, his serve was impeccable. Maybe there's something he can do to improve the consistency of it.

tlm
09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Are we saying that fed has to depend on his serve that much to win? Thats funny delpo was just hitting slow 108 mph serves after he df the third set away.How is it that delpo can do that + still win?

Are we saying that the goat can not win with his ground game, or anything else?

BHud
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
...and as he gets older, once his serve goes, so does the rest of his game. The number of mishits in the 5th set was incredible! He just disappeared - much like at the AO.

TheNatural
09-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Delpo totally dominated Fed from the latter parts of the 4th onwards -it was all 1 way traffic. He squashed Fed like a bug.
I think Delpos good returning and long reach made Federer try harder on serve and so he missed more. Also Delpo wore out Federer's arm with his relentless cannon ball ground strokes.

tlm
09-15-2009, 07:46 AM
How does the goat just disappear in 2 gs finals this year? Delpo was just rolling his serves in there after df the third set away. He also depends a lot on his serve, but was still able to win without it.