PDA

View Full Version : Murray or Del Potro?

FedGod
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
who will have the better career?

discuss.

SempreSami
09-15-2009, 10:16 AM
This has been worded as if I KNOW FOR CERTAIN who's going to have a better career, something I cannot and will therefore not be drawn into commenting on.

I'm sure plenty of the mongs on here will be happy to oblige though.

Gorecki
09-15-2009, 10:18 AM
i wish i knew.. bet clic would be my retirement fund...

Bolivian Ace
09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
DP has more determination! Murray does have much talent and a more complete game. But after what DP did last night.........I think in the long run determination will take him longer that talent.

coloskier
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
On three of the 4 surfaces, Del Potro wins by a landslide. If Fed and Nadal can't handle the power, there is no way Murray can. Dink and dice will always lose to consistent power.

roddickfan1000
09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
On three of the 4 surfaces, Del Potro wins by a landslide. If Fed and Nadal can't handle the power, there is no way Murray can. Dink and dice will always lose to consistent power.

power doesn't mean **** all though. Prime safin and roddick hit way harder than delpotro and came up short against federer. Delpotro will win more majors because nadal will slip and federer will eventually retire.

kishnabe
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.FreedomBets.com/r/brado32003

It is free, and I've made $250 on it! Just thought I'd spread the word...

Thanks man

Joseph L. Barrow
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
This is a case in point of the utterly fickle quality of the tennis (and general sports) public- if this same poll had been created before the US Open, I expect Murray would have won in a landslide. Then, in one tournament, Murray flops whilst Del Potro puts together a classic title run, and suddenly we're seeing a near 20/1 ratio in Juan Martin's favor. I like to refrain from this type of prediction, myself; let us keep in mind that a little less than two years ago, Djokovic looked like the heir apparent and next world's #1, then one year ago, Murray had taken over that same slot, and now Del Potro has shown himself to be next in line. Another year from now, yet another young player may have stepped up to the mantle and become the new apple of the public's eye; rather than simply ride along with the "flavor of the moment," I would like to observe these guys a while longer before attempting to pass judgment on the quality of their entire respective careers.

thejoe
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow. I'm one of only two Murray voters.

grafselesfan
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Del Potro. Murray will be and is a very good player but doesnt have the weapons to win many slams.

Joseph L. Barrow
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow. I'm one of only two Murray voters.
See my post above.

thejoe
09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
See my post above.

Great post.

Emelia21
09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
This is a case in point of the utterly fickle quality of the tennis (and general sports) public- if this same poll had been created before the US Open, I expect Murray would have won in a landslide. Then, in one tournament, Murray flops whilst Del Potro puts together a classic title run, and suddenly we're seeing a near 20/1 ratio in Juan Martin's favor. I like to refrain from this type of prediction, myself; let us keep in mind that a little less than two years ago, Djokovic looked like the heir apparent and next world's #1, then one year ago, Murray had taken over that same slot, and now Del Potro has shown himself to be next in line. Another year from now, yet another young player may have stepped up to the mantle and become the new apple of the public's eye; rather than simply ride along with the "flavor of the moment," I would like to observe these guys a while longer before attempting to pass judgment on the quality of their entire respective careers.

My thought exactly in bold :cry:

grafselesfan
09-15-2009, 01:46 PM
How is it fickle in Murray's case. He has been a contender for over a year now and his overall slam results havent produced much. One final where he was wiped out by someone he was owning around then in Masters events, one semifinal where he lost in an upset to most people, two 4th rounds on his best surface, and a decent quarterfinal on his worst.

Blinkism
09-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Hey, if you like writing long analytical posts in response to Murray flopping at the slams - expect to have plenty to write about for a while

:)

thejoe
09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
How is it fickle in Murray's case. He has been a contender for over a year now and his overall slam results havent produced much. One final where he was wiped out by someone he was owning around then in Masters events, one semifinal where he lost in an upset to most people, two 4th rounds on his best surface, and a decent quarterfinal on his worst.

But if we start scapegoating petty injuries for Murray in the same way we do for Fed and Nadal, those results seem reasonable.

RFLEGEND
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
del potro he is young and will have a good career

grafselesfan
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
But if we start scapegoating petty injuries for Murray in the same way we do for Fed and Nadal, those results seem reasonable.

Who says the small bit injury scapegoating is right. Nadal had to miss Wimbledon altogether so obviously that is more than a petty injury. I never said he lost to Del Potro at the U.S Open since he was injured, he was obviously outplayed that day. Likewise for Federer and his smaller injuries.

BigServer1
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Right now it's looking like Del Potro. Only 20 years old (2 years younger than Murray) and seemingly improving all the time. Also, he did something that has never been done in beating Nadal and Federer back to back in a Slam.

I think Del Po is much better on clay, both play good hard court tennis, and Murray is much better on grass.

Both will be slam winners, but if Del Po's body holds up, I think he'll win more slams than Murray.

Nadalfan89
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
The only people who think that spoiled brat pusher will have a good career are wishful thinking brits.

maddogz32
09-15-2009, 03:31 PM
del potro already has one slam and is younger than murray. its simple. and murrays a pusher

quest01
09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
So far Del Potro is the better player, he's won a grand slam and winning slams is the ultimate measure of success.

fruitytennis1
09-15-2009, 03:50 PM
If your a pro you aint a pusher. If you say Murray is a pusher you plain stupid.

SempreSami
09-15-2009, 03:55 PM
del potro already has one slam and is younger than murray. I'm simple. and murrays a pusher

I think this reads a bit better.