PDA

View Full Version : Is fed a poor sportsman?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MasterTS
09-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Okay so we all recall the incident in 2007 Wimbledon Finals when Fed was crying like a baby because hawkeye wasn't going his way. He wanted it turned off and claimed hawkeye was beating him up, rather than Nadal beating him...

And than just a few days ago Fed cries to the umpire because Del Potro took extra time to challenge a call. Not only did he cry, he used profanity!!!

How come fed always acts a bit unsportsman-like when he's in the losing position?

Granted we don't see him lose much so we don't know how unsportsman-like he really is, I predict as he ages and goes down in the rankings, we may see more and more of the dainty poor sportsman act from fed.

sureshs
09-15-2009, 11:12 AM
His gentlemanly image is a facade. Underneath, he is another Serena.

AR15
09-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Fed had a string of things go against him yesterday, and was understandably frustrated.

He had the ace taken away because Delpo saw something move.

Fed thought he had some bad line calls.

At the end he showed his usual class. He is a sportsman and a gentlemen, but he's human too.

All-rounder
09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Asking for a hawkeye challenge when players are about to enter their seats is way too late.

Olorin
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
"He had the ace taken away because Delpo saw something move."

I never really understood the point of that. Why was Fed not awarded with that point ? He served an ace. So what was the problem ?

plumcrazy
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Every man has their breaking point. Including Fed. He is still a class act.

timeisonmyside
09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
In the semi final against Djokovic, when it was tight in the first set, Djoker servers a nice serve out wide in the deuce court. Fed was only able to knick it with his racket. The linesman called the serve good, but the chair (Norm Chryst) overruled. Djoker challenged the overrule and Hawkeye confirmed that the serve was good.

At this point Norm must have had a brain freeze, because he called a let and then played the point over again. The overrule clearly did affect Federer's ability to return the serve. In fact the original line call was 'in'. No way could the overrule have happened in time on a first serve. Djoker should have been awarded the point.

Even Mary Carillo at the time said she was surprised Fed didn't concede Djoker the point. A similar thing happened in the third set with Fed comfortably ahead. This time he conceded the point.

So Fed is only a sportsman when he has nothing to lose.

MasterTS
09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Asking for a hawkeye challenge when players are about to enter their seats is way too late.

He should complain about it but when he starts using profanities... then thats too much!

All-rounder
09-15-2009, 11:26 AM
He should complain about it but when he starts using profanities... then thats too much!
Yes it was wrong but the ump should not have gave federer the hand to the face and told him to keep quiet

cknobman
09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
"He had the ace taken away because Delpo saw something move."

I never really understood the point of that. Why was Fed not awarded with that point ? He served an ace. So what was the problem ?

The chair ump was a spineless wimp that couldnt control the match. It was pathetic that someone of his caliber was allowed to call a GS final like that.

It wasnt Delpos or Feds fault they were just playing and trying to make do but the ump couldnt make consistent decisions or even rational ones at times.

egn
09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Whats funny was he was winning at that point.

kimbahpnam
09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
So let's list the compendium of players that qualify as "poor sportsmen" based on using profanities during a match (that people have heard...because we know if we don't hear them that means they don't use profanity at all).

McEnroe
Roddick
Sampras

..add your names

Dutch-Guy
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Fed had a string of things go against him yesterday, and was understandably frustrated.

He had the ace taken away because Delpo saw something move.

Djokovic was 7-1 against linesmen.Did he go ape***** too?

rocket
09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
he used profanity!!!

Nadal does it too when he loses a point, in Spanish.

tlm
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Not when he is winning.

thejoe
09-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Not when he is winning.

What more do you people want? He was incredibly gracious in the ceremony, having lost the match.

CCNM
09-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Even the best of us "cuss" (use profanity) every now and then. At least Fed didn't cry this time.

drgreenthumb
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
IMO on a day to day basis, he seems like a nice guy but yesterday during the US Open Finals again Del Po, he was just rude.

Sometimes small incidents like that put people off.

AR15
09-15-2009, 12:26 PM
OMG! He said the "S" word, so he is not a sportsman.

Stupid thread award.

Blinkism
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
No.

1 or 2 instances of poor judgement shouldn't overshadow Federer's good sportsmanship and fair play for the last 5+ years.

He's not perfect, but he is not a poor sportsman - far from it.

r2473
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Is the question if he displays poor sportsmanship or if he is a poor sportsman?

Emelia21
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
What more do you people want? He was incredibly gracious in the ceremony, having lost the match.

Yes he was and so he should be, at least he didn't cry this time :)

Aces09
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
lol, seeing and hearing federer say S_hit was the greatest thing ever. ^_^ I laughed for 10 minutes..It just shows that federer is human...we all get ****ed off when things arent going perfectly, I think Delpo shouldn't have gotten to challenge after like 15 seconds. Thats against the rules and he was wrong, but I don't think fed knew a microphone was recording his outburst
xD

But delpo did outplay federer, he made beautiful returns off feds weak second serves, and outplayed federer from the back of the court. I think if Fed had serve/volleyed he would've won. But alas we'll never know. Now federer will never break the tilden record for consecutive us open titles...we'll have to wait for the next ultimate tennis champion...I don't think any of the current top players can do it.

icedevil0289
09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
lol, seeing and hearing federer say S_hit was the greatest thing ever. ^_^ I laughed for 10 minutes..It just shows that federer is human...we all get ****ed off when things arent going perfectly, I think Delpo shouldn't have gotten to challenge after like 15 seconds. Thats against the rules and he was wrong, but I don't think fed knew a microphone was recording his outburst
xD

But delpo did outplay federer, he made beautiful returns off feds weak second serves, and outplayed federer from the back of the court. I think if Fed had serve/volleyed he would've won. But alas we'll never know. Now federer will never break the tilden record for consecutive us open titles...we'll have to wait for the next ultimate tennis champion...I don't think any of the current top players can do it.

+1
Great Post!

TensProfes
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Fed is the absolute worst. He rarely gives credit to the other guy.....my favortite was when Nadal beat Roger for the upteenth time Roger said Toni was coaching and that Rafa is "one dimensional"

One dimensional = Federer loses.

If you're just doing this to spark conversation (or trolling), then I apologize for addressing your comment factually, but it would appear that you're wrong. There are dozens, maybe even hundreds, of press conferences where Fed gave lots of credit to the other guy and said how well they played. I don't know where you get your information from, but it seems more geared to starting an argument than being accurate. Just do a search on YouTube and you'll find him praising many other players. And please provide more information about the time when he called Rafa one-dimensional. I'm guessing that the comment is being presented out of context, as the relationship between Fed and Rafa has always been characterized by mutual respect.

Turning Pro
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Like i said before, he's great when he's winning..........But another Serena when he's not......

icedevil0289
09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Fed is the absolute worst. He rarely gives credit to the other guy.....my favortite was when Nadal beat Roger for the upteenth time Roger said Toni was coaching and that Rafa is "one dimensional"

One dimensional = Federer loses.

if you had an ounce of objectivity, you would know that fed said that a few years ago and at that time, rafa was one dimensional. I know many of his fans, at least those who are rational, who have admitted that rafa was one dimensional at that time. He pretty much played the same way on all surfaces and while it was affective, it was still one dimensional.

Since then rafa has improved very much and adapted and roger acknowledged that.

TensProfes
09-15-2009, 01:00 PM
For example, here's his quote after losing the Australian Open this past January:

"I think he (Rafa) made the more important points today. He did play well, and served really well when he had to..."

Sounds like he gave credit, as far as I can tell.

pmata814
09-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Yes he was and so he should be, at least he didn't cry this time :)

I don't think we'll be seeing him cry anymore. He's accomplished everything he wanted. Everything is just icing on the cake from here on out.

Emelia21
09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think we'll be seeing him cry anymore. He's accomplished everything he wanted. Everything is just icing on the cake from here on out.

I wouldn't be so sure about that :)

maddogz32
09-15-2009, 01:25 PM
only when he cries

ghostbear
09-15-2009, 02:20 PM
"No no no, please! Its too late. Come on! I wasn't allowed to challenge after 2 seconds. The guy takes, like, 10 every time. You can't allow that stuff to happen. Do you have any rules in there or what? Stop showing me the hands, OK? Don't tell me to be quiet, OK? When I want to talk, I talk, all right? I don't give a sh*t what he said. I just say he waited too long. Don't f*cking tell me the rules. I wasn't allowed to f*cking challenge, like, 2 matches ago after 1 second. He takes 10 seconds. Oh, he likes the rules, OK? Don't f*cking talk to me."
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4474389 <--0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZbDDe4eOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKhPQqul7_Y#t=1m0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpNuRDLpyg

You be the judge. :-?

Gorecki
09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
in the Djokovic ace incident in the semis Fed behaved in the worst manner possbile,

not only didnt he concede the point but he also challenged the in replay...

shameless!!!!

The-Champ
09-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I wonder what you guys think of people like Cantona...

Gorecki
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I wonder what you guys think of people like Cantona...

i think he was a footbal player and he has no place to be discussed in a tennis forum...:evil:

ps: oh... and the ultimate idiot too

The-Champ
09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
i think he was a footbal player and he has no place to be discussed in a tennis forum...:evil:

ps: oh... and the ultimate idiot too

Even though I'm a Nadal fan, I find it absurd to call federer a bad sportsman. Thus, I was wondering what people think of Cantona (another sports figure) who karate kicked a spectator in the head, to draw comparison with Federer's "tiny verbal outburst".

ps: thanks for the idiot remark...Idiot!

film1
09-15-2009, 02:46 PM
This is a simple truth and you can plug it into tennis, relationships and life in general.

"It's easy to be polite and nice when things are going your way. You usually don't see a person's true colors until things do not go their way, it has nothing to do with right or wrong, fair on unfair because life is unfair at the core and this does not change who you are'"

"It's in the times of hardships, divorces, break ups, losses, trials and tribulations that we and others see our true colors."

This is a fundamental truth and one of life's great lessons.

Gorecki
09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Even though I'm a Nadal fan, I find it absurd to call federer a bad sportsman. Thus, I was wondering what people think of Cantona (another sports figure) who karate kicked a spectator in the head, to draw comparison with Federer's "tiny verbal outburst".

ps: thanks for the idiot remark...Idiot!

well.. thanks for insulting me for not liking Cantona and thinking he is an idiot...

SempreSami
09-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Cantona didn't get the guy in the head and was wrongly punished.

Plus he was a million times the player everyone seems to think Zidane was.

The-Champ
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
well.. thanks for insulting me for not liking Cantona and thinking he is an idiot...

oh sorry man..:oops: I missunderstood.

I agree.

DarthFed
09-15-2009, 03:20 PM
ooh he drops an s word and people are comparing him to serena?

still the fed bashing isn't as bad as i'd thought...

Gut Feeling
09-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Okay so we all recall the incident in 2007 Wimbledon Finals when Fed was crying like a baby because hawkeye wasn't going his way. He wanted it turned off and claimed hawkeye was beating him up, rather than Nadal beating him...

And than just a few days ago Fed cries to the umpire because Del Potro took extra time to challenge a call. Not only did he cry, he used profanity!!!

How come fed always acts a bit unsportsman-like when he's in the losing position?

Granted we don't see him lose much so we don't know how unsportsman-like he really is, I predict as he ages and goes down in the rankings, we may see more and more of the dainty poor sportsman act from fed.

Im not sure if its true but I heard that after losing to Nadal Roger called him one dimensional and accused Nadal of cheating through uncle Tony coaching. Is that true?

tlm
09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes that is true, feds real colors show when he is losing.Anyone can be a good winner.

TheFifthSet
09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, he did say the f-word 3 times as well.

But no, Federer is a good sportsman for the most part. Not the saint that the media portrays him to be, though . . . .

big bang
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
he is nothing but a big crybaby.. I am so sick of his goodguy image!!

ASL
09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Yes, Federer is a baby.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Wimbledon 07-The umpire himself said he couldnt believe the ball was in.

USO 09-Has been discussed to death.His anger, again, was at the act not the subject.

But then again the OP seems to be a Nadal fan so these kinds of threads are pretty much expected.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:36 AM
if you had an ounce of objectivity, you would know that fed said that a few years ago and at that time, rafa was one dimensional. I know many of his fans, at least those who are rational, who have admitted that rafa was one dimensional at that time. He pretty much played the same way on all surfaces and while it was affective, it was still one dimensional.

Since then rafa has improved very much and adapted and roger acknowledged that.

The lovely *******s need to know that Roger did NOT question the effectiveness of Nadal's game.He wasnt even questioning his game surface-wise.What he explained was that Nadal's game was effective , just not very layered.And anyone who knows tennis knows it wasnt very layered at the time.He improved added weapons to his game.
His BH wasnt as great as it is today nor was his serve,nor was he agressive to fast HC .
The lovely *******s also need to know that when Roger accused Toni Nadal of on court coaching( note-That he made it perfectly clear his problem was only with Toni not Rafa himself) the umpire himself had looked at Toni THRICE during the match which was made Roger say later "Just throw the rule book away".Uncle Toni can be vocal during tight matches,we've seen that.

big bang
09-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Wimbledon 07-The umpire himself said he couldnt believe the ball was in.

USO 09-Has been discussed to death.His anger, again, was at the act not the subject.

But then again the OP seems to be a Nadal fan so these kinds of threads are pretty much expected.

so you think when anyone says Fed is a bad sportsman, then he must be Nadalfan?? get real!! some people just cant see the reality due to their (Fed)obsession.. the guy is a big baby

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:37 AM
so you think when anyone says Fed is a bad sportsman, then he must be Nadalfan?? get real!! some people just cant see the reality due to their (Fed)obsession.. the guy is a big baby
Most of the crap somes from Nadal fans. And if thats what you're going to judge Fed on I can recount a number of instances from various players considered to be all 'humble'.
All in all the OP's nitpicking.

big bang
09-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Most of the crap somes from Nadal fans. And if thats what you're going to judge Fed on I can recount a number of instances from various players considered to be all 'humble'.
All in all the OP's nitpicking.

I simply judge him by what I see with my own eyes and nothing else..

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:41 AM
And If I may ask..Why is it that people expect Roger to be the EPITOME of pure humility in the first place?
How many players who've dominated their sport like no one else are perfectly humble?
Many consider Tiger Woods to be arrogant.Look at Muhammad Ali.Neither of them was ever all that gracious.
They're bound to have some ego.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:42 AM
I simply judge him by what I see with my own eyes and nothing else.. I was talking about that one incident.

jmmtn4aj
09-16-2009, 12:56 AM
It's understandable considering the disdain he already had for the Hawk-Eye system

Carsomyr
09-16-2009, 01:05 AM
His record number of Stefan Edberg awards chuckle at this thread.

sh@de
09-16-2009, 01:36 AM

and you ONLY happen to see some things right? Yeah very funny.

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:39 AM

Well, tha't what you saw. What I saw was Federer getting Robbed twice in the match.

ceberus
09-16-2009, 01:40 AM
Everybody does that once in a while. At least he restrained from crying like a baby this time.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-16-2009, 02:16 AM
No, he's not a poor sportsman. He is one of the best generally. But his behavior in the last 2 matches (Djoko and DelPo) was really bad.

Rataplan
09-16-2009, 02:38 AM
if you had an ounce of objectivity, you would know that fed said that a few years ago and at that time, rafa was one dimensional.
I don't think that Rafa was one dimensional really (not that he was the player with the most variety either) but Roger said that right after a frustrating defeat and yet another one where the breakdown of the match could be summarized by the following:
"lefty topspin forehand to backhand & repeat until the backhand breaks down".

It's that one action that frustrates Fed the most after a loss, I think. Rafa wasn't as one dimensional as Fed suggested. He was just understandably frustrated that he works so hard on getting a varied game over the years and it's always the same action that is often the trigger to a Nadal/Fed match.

Anyway, back on topic: Fed isn't a poor sportsman but he's not the epitome of class and good sportsmanship either.
He's...human.
Keeping your cool and being gracious is a whole lot easier when you're winning. It's understandable that players lose their cool from time to time.

malakas
09-16-2009, 02:48 AM
because I'm a great Fedfan,I was utterly dissapointed by his behaviour.BUT only because I'm only a great fan and I have highly expectations from him always.

But to call him a poor sportman only after this..LOL

BTW,nice comeback MASTERTS.You always come back to troll at the right time.:roll: :roll: :roll:

TheNatural
09-16-2009, 03:22 AM
And If I may ask..Why is it that people expect Roger to be the EPITOME of pure humility in the first place?
How many players who've dominated their sport like no one else are perfectly humble?
Many consider Tiger Woods to be arrogant.Look at Muhammad Ali.Neither of them was ever all that gracious.
They're bound to have some ego.

*******s should all embrace the hothead in the Fed, especially that deluded tribe at RF dot com.

ASL
09-16-2009, 03:27 AM
But to call him a poor sportman only after this..LOL

He's done more than just that.

film1
09-16-2009, 03:52 AM
This is a simple truth and you can plug it into tennis, relationships and life in general.

"It's easy to be polite and nice when things are going your way. You usually don't see a person's true colors until things do not go their way, it has nothing to do with right or wrong, fair on unfair because life is unfair at the core and this does not change who you are'"

"It's in the times of hardships, divorces, break ups, losses, trials and tribulations that we and others see our true colors."

This is a fundamental truth and one of life's great lessons.

When you loose you don't have anything to hide behind and you are forced to show your pain, humility and vulnerability.
This is when you let others see who you are; it's easy to be a good winner except for the poorest of sports but to loose with dignity, that is true class, especially when one is accustomed to winning.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 04:42 AM
He's done more than just that.
true.He killed your cat.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 04:45 AM
No, he's not a poor sportsman. He is one of the best generally. But his behavior in the last 2 matches (Djoko and DelPo) was really bad. what did he do in the Djoko match?Not concede a point? I'm not surprised.He prefers an umpire's decision over the hawkeye's decision,thats for sure.He simply dosent trust the system.To top it off the rules of the challenge system are not clearly defined.I dont blame him...

ASL
09-16-2009, 04:47 AM
true.He killed your cat.

That's funny, he's sitting right on my lap as we speak.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 04:49 AM
That's funny, he's sitting right on my lap as we speak. then he didnt do anything that bad :wink:

Bud
09-16-2009, 04:50 AM
*******s should all embrace the hothead in the Fed, especially that deluded tribe at RF dot com.

Link please? :)

Max G.
09-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Nah. He's not the MOST sportsmanlike player out there - he has his outbursts at times - but he's not a BAD sportsman, there are plenty plenty who are far worse. So what if he occasionally gets angry at an umpire? Sure, it's not the best thing, but he gets over it quickly and stays gracious afterwards. "Not perfect" doesn't mean "poor sportsman". It means about average.

ghostbear
09-16-2009, 05:01 AM
what did he do in the Djoko match?Not concede a point? I'm not surprised.He prefers an umpire's decision over the hawkeye's decision,thats for sure.He simply dosent trust the system.To top it off the rules of the challenge system are not clearly defined.I dont blame him...

Yes, Djokovic had a clear ace. Fed took a swing at it and missed by a lot, but the umpire overruled it as out. The hawkeye confirmed it as an ace, but the umpire ordered them to replay the point. Djokovic protested that Fed had no chance to return the serve, but the umpire said he thought Fed had a play. Fed could have said he had no play (as the replay showed) and conceded the point, but he stood there mum. I'm pretty sure Fed knew he got aced. After all, the serve wasn't in by a hair's width; it was right on the line.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes, Djokovic had a clear ace. Fed took a swing at it and missed by a lot, but the umpire overruled it as out. The hawkeye showed confirmed it as an ace, but the umpire ordered them to replay the point. Djokovic protested that Fed had no chance to return the serve, but the umpire said he thought Fed had a play. Fed could have said he had no play (as the replay showed) and conceded the point, but he stood there mum. I'm pretty sure Fed knew he got aced. After all, the serve wasn't in by a hair's width; it was right on the line.
Any video?

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Yes, Djokovic had a clear ace. Fed took a swing at it and missed by a lot, but the umpire overruled it as out. The hawkeye confirmed it as an ace, but the umpire ordered them to replay the point. Djokovic protested that Fed had no chance to return the serve, but the umpire said he thought Fed had a play. Fed could have said he had no play (as the replay showed) and conceded the point, but he stood there mum. I'm pretty sure Fed knew he got aced. After all, the serve wasn't in by a hair's width; it was right on the line.

Federer's very devious indeed. Even if i don't know him personally, this really just proves what kind of character his is.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Federer's very devious indeed. Even if i don't know him personally, this really just proves what kind of character his is.LOL..One point?I havent seen that point but if it was bang on the line then the umpire wouldnt have called a replay in the first place.
It wasnt Roger's problem...and as far as I can tell,he did concede a point to Novak in the match too.

bolo
09-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Nothing surprising in this incident although I figure now that he has the 15 record this kind of behavior and criticizing his primary competitiors will fall in frequency.

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:15 AM
LOL..One point?I havent seen that point but if it was bang on the line then the umpire wouldnt have called a replay in the first place.
It wasnt Roger's problem...and as far as I can tell,he did concede a point to Novak in the match too.

Ahh, but this is actually the second point. Seems like you forget rather quickly. :lol:

ghostbear
09-16-2009, 05:17 AM
LOL..One point?I havent seen that point but if it was bang on the line then the umpire wouldnt have called a replay in the first place.

It WAS right on the line. That's what made the umpire look so stupid. He overruled a clear ace. LOL

mandy01
Ahh, but this is actually the second point. Seems like you forget rather quickly. :lol:um..so?I know for sure the guy dosent like the challenge system and would anyday have the Chair Umpire making the calls and if they happened he would much rather take them.

mandy01
It WAS right on the line. That's what made the umpire look so stupid. He overruled a clear ace. LOLany video?

ghostbear
09-16-2009, 05:19 AM
any video?

Try youtube, but I'm sure other members who watched the match can confirm the incident.

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:19 AM
and if they happened he would much rather take them.

That's the point. It's not very nice for the other opponent. Or is it?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:22 AM
That's the point. It's not very nice for the other opponent. Or is it?
Its not the question of the opponent.He says he'd much rather trust the Chair Umpire than the challenge system.

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Its not the question of the opponent.He says he'd much rather trust the Chair Umpire .

Federer KNEW it was in. He lied. Comprendo?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Federer KNEW it was in. He lied. Comprendo?
How on earth did he lie? He called the ball out?He went by the Umpire's decision which he prefers to take.Comprendo?

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:27 AM
How on earth did he lie? He called the ball out?He went by the Umpire's decision which he prefers to take.Comprendo?

He lied by not admitting it was in. Instead he chose to stick with the decision of the ump so it would play in his favor. Comprendo?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:29 AM
He lied by not admitting it was in. Instead he chose to stick with the decision of the ump so it would play in his favor. Comprendo?
Not admitting? Its not his freakin problem! Conceding the point wouldve probably given him bonus points for sportsmanship..not doing so, dosent take away from it.How did it play in his favour? Was he given the point?Didn't Djokovic win the game? comprendo?

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Not admitting? Its not his freakin problem! Conceding the point wouldve probably given him bonus points for sportsmanship..not doing so, dosent take away from it.How did it play in his favour? Was he given the point?Didn't Djokovic win the game? comprendo?

Doing what he did was bad sportmanship. Keep denying the TRUTH and it'll make you look even more daft.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Doing what he did was bad sportmanship. Keep denying the TRUTH and it'll make you look even more daft.
What truth? And who are you to define bad sportsmanship in the first place?
If he dosent believe in the system he'd much rather go by what the umpire says.Maybe he wasnt sure so he took the umpire's decision? Your nitpicking is making YOU look daft more than anything.

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:36 AM
What truth? And who are you to define bad sportsmanship in the first place?
If he dosent believe in the system he'd much rather go by what the umpire says.Maybe he wasnt sure so he took the umpire's decision? Your nitpicking is making YOU look daft more than anything.

He knew it was IN. But acted like he wasn't sure and the ump happened to be wrong. You're continuously ACTING naive and it's very boring.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:39 AM
He knew it was IN. But acted like he wasn't sure and the ump happened to be wrong. You're continuously ACTING naive and it's very boring.
I could say the opposite and call you naive .Afterall he plays so he obviously knows sportsmanship better than you do.

big bang
09-16-2009, 05:39 AM
sh@de
Hall Of Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bang

and you ONLY happen to see some things right? Yeah very funny.

Today, 11:39 AM #57
P_Agony
Legend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bang

Well, tha't what you saw. What I saw was Federer getting Robbed twice in the match.

please *******s stop whining or are you trying to act like Fed??

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:42 AM
I could say the opposite and call you naive .Afterall he plays so he obviously knows sportsmanship better than you do.

You're playing dumb. It's as clear as water. But you're not fooling anyone unfortunately.

I've actually played semi pro soccer. I think i should know a thing or two about sportmanship.

How about you, though? :lol:

Rataplan
09-16-2009, 05:43 AM
I could say the opposite and call you naive because he plays so he obviously knows sportsmanship better than you do.
You don't need to be a pro player to recognize good or bad sportsmanship when you see it.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:46 AM
You're playing dumb. It's as clear as water. But you're not fooling anyone unfortunately.

I've actually played semi pro soccer. I think i should know a thing or two about sportmanship.

How about you, though? :lol: Of course it isnt.Were you there? How can you be sure Fed KNEW it?

And yes,I played tennis as a child ( though admittedly I was never really that good)

paulorenzo
09-16-2009, 05:47 AM
federer has won the stefan edberg sportsmanship award five years in a row.
people on this forum may not think he is a good sportsman, but apparently people he competes with do.

dman72
To try to compare Federer saying the S word or complaining about a call to threatening someone and never giving anyone who beats you a sliver of credit (Serena) is..well, asinine. But yeah, for some reason everyone needs to try to lessen the severity of what Serena did.

mandy01
You don't need to be a pro player to recognize good or bad sportsmanship when you see it.Sure.But you cant judge bad sportsmanship over something as trivial as this either.Not when the players out there know better than you do.

ghostbear
09-16-2009, 05:49 AM

Fed probably did know it was in, as the serve was right on the line. But that's not the point. When the umpire told Djokovic that he thought Fed had had a chance to get it, Fed implicitly agreed with the umpire by standing there mute. Again, he could have said he had taken a swing at it and missed by a lot.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:50 AM
Fed probably did know it was in, as the serve was right on the line. But that's not the point. When the umpire told Djokovic that he thought Fed had had a chance to get it, Fed implicitly agreed with the umpire by standing there mute. Again, he could have said he had taken a swing at it and missed by a lot.Maybe he just decided it wasnt his problem?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 05:51 AM
federer has won the stefan edberg sportsmanship award five years in a row.
people on this forum may not think he is a good sportsman, but apparently people he competes with do.Precisely.Either that or his peers are simply blind *******s.

ASL
09-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Fed probably did know it was in, as the serve was right on the line. But that's not the point. When the umpire told Djokovic that he thought Fed had had a chance to get it, Fed implicitly agreed with the umpire by standing there mute. Again, he could have said he had taken a swing at it and missed by a lot.

Thank god Novak won the game or else i'd be frying Federer.

RalphNYC
09-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Not only a poor sportsman, but a poor player, a poor businessman, a bad driver, a bad father, a criminal, a crook, a cad.

buzz buzz! the gossip machine!

What is this, People Magazine? Didn't I see Fed kissing Nicole Kidman at the Open!!??

Rataplan
09-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Precisely.Either that or his peers are simply blind *******s.
I do think that he's a good sportsman all in all but not all the time.

Federer is winning most of the time so his opponents will perceive him as a an example of good sportsmanship but you often see a more edgy and testy Roger when he's about to lose control of the match when it's just that much harder to be gracious all the time.
Doesn't make him an evil man either. He's just human.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Sure.But you cant judge bad sportsmanship over something as trivial as this either.Not when the players out there know better than you do.

See, the problem is the combination of two things he did in the semis and finals. In the semis, he was a bad sportsman (not giving an ace), and in the finals, he was cursing and complaining because his opponent was supposedly a bad sportsman.

And, please, don't tell me how Fed doesn't trust hawkeye. He uses it all the time, and is very bad at it. If he really hated it, he would have stopped challenging years ago.

(ps. no, i dont hate Fed. There is a reason he has all those awards. But i think it would be a scandal if he got one for 2009).

bolo
09-16-2009, 06:06 AM
See, the problem is the combination of two things he did in the semis and finals. In the semis, he was a bad sportsman (not giving an ace), and in the finals, he was cursing and complaining because his opponent was supposedly a bad sportsman.

And, please, don't tell me how Fed doesn't trust hawkeye. He uses it all the time, and is very bad at it. If he really hated it, he would have stopped challenging years ago.

(ps. no, i dont hate Fed. There is a reason he has all those awards. But i think it would be a scandal if he got one for 2009).

It will be very interesting to see who gets it this year. I am sure more goes into it than pure sportsmanship. Fed. does quite a bit for the sport/tour I am sure that gets him a lot of props from the fellow players.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 06:06 AM
I do think that he's a good sportsman all in all but not all the time.

Federer is winning most of the time so his opponents will perceive him as a fantastic sportsman but you often see a more edgy and testy Roger when he's about to lose control of the match when it's just that much harder to be gracious all the time.
Doesn't make him an evil man either. He's just human.He wasnt winning everything in 2008 ,he still received the award.Who cares what you believe in?I'd much rather take the word of those who actually know him.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 06:08 AM

. Using it and not liking it are two different things.he uses it because his opponents use it to their advantage too.Dosent mean he has to like it or trust it.Given a choice though he'd much rather take the Umpire's call.

Rataplan
09-16-2009, 06:11 AM
He wasnt winning everything in 2008 ,he still received the award.
That doesn't mean that every single opponent voted for him, right?

Why does it bother you so much? Fed is a good embassador for the sport but he isn't perfection personified either. No player is.

Who cares what you believe in?
lol.
Obviously you do or you wouldn't keep on responding to just about everybody who doesn't write what you want to hear. Are you getting paid to defend Federer or something?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Why does it bother you so much? Fed is a good embassador for the sport but he isn't perfection personified either. No player is.

lol.
Obviously you do or you wouldn't keep on responding to just about everybody who doesn't write what you want to hear. Are you getting paid to defend Federer or something?
I never said Fed was perfect..and I didnt know responding to you is 'caring' for your thoughts.If its that then this is my last reply to you :lol:
Are you getting paid to pass on pious judgements of sportsmanship on pro tennis players?

bolo
09-16-2009, 06:19 AM

That's a good point. Does anyone know the percentages? or how the voting works. Maybe it's close.

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Didnt Yasser Arafat win the Nobel Peace prize? Do you think he deserved it?

Rataplan
09-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Are you getting paid to pass on pious judgements os sportsmanship on pro tennis players?
Pious? lol

This is a message board, lady. If you don't want to read the opinions of non-pros, I'd suggest you don't read posts in here at all.

Since neither of us is a professional tennis player, your viewpoint is as good as mine.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-16-2009, 06:31 AM
It will be very interesting to see who gets it this year. I am sure more goes into it than pure sportsmanship. Fed. does quite a bit for the sport/tour I am sure that gets him a lot of props from the fellow players.

I dont really know what are the exact criteria. They probably have to award to someone popular and successful, probably in the Top 20. And Fed is one of the best in terms of sportsmanship among them, so he deserves it, I guess.

Who else is there who is known as a great sportsman? Blake perhaps, Verdasco, Tsonga?

Using it and not liking it are two different things.he uses it because his opponents use it to their advantage too.Dosent mean he has to like it or trust it.Given a choice though he'd much rather take the Umpire's call.

How can they use it to their advantage if it's bad? I hope you're not trying to say that Fed's opponents cheat when they use hawkeye.

bolo
09-16-2009, 06:33 AM
I dont really know what are the exact criteria. They probably have to award to someone popular and successful, probably in the Top 20. And Fed is one of the best in terms of sportsmanship among them, so he deserves it, I guess.

Who else is there who is known as a great sportsman? Blake perhaps, Verdasco, Tsonga?

Maybe blake yeah, that would have been a good choice the year he came back from the injury.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 06:40 AM
How can they use it to their advantage if it's bad? I hope you're not trying to say that Fed's opponents cheat when they use hawkeye. Using it to one's asvantage is not cheating at all..they just see if they can get a call going in their favour.so Roger does it too which dosent mean he likes the thing.The systen is just there so uses it which dosent mean he wont be happy to see it go.

ASL
09-16-2009, 06:45 AM
which dosent mean he wont be happy to see it go.

He'll be delighted if it goes. No more balls which landed out will be in.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 06:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4474389 <--0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZbDDe4eOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKhPQqul7_Y#t=1m0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpNuRDLpyg

You be the judge. :-?

He's out there to win he hates the challenge system anyway.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Using it to one's asvantage is not cheating at all..they just see if they can get a call going in their favour.so Roger does it too which dosent mean he likes the thing.The systen is just there so uses it which dosent mean he wont be happy to see it go.

Ok, but I think you're still not making sense. I'm too tired for arguments right now.

So, the system is there. Federer doesn't like it, but he still uses it. And he reserves for himself the right not to give points to his opponents, if he thinks that hawkeye was wrong in that case (especially if it was accidentally an important point). Isn't that like having it both ways?

Romeo
09-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I wondered if the umpire didn't try to stop Roger from continuing his rant about the challenge being late because he, the chair, realized the whole conversation could be recorded. Anything that goes wrong on the court is recorded and played over and over and over. I am not saying this is the case because I have no idea what was going through the umpires mind but I bet Roger wished he had stopped talking at that point.

I am sure there are players and umpires that wished someone had stopped them before they said something they can not take back.

bolo
09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
well woodrow looks to be busy, so I looked up the rules:

http://www.usta.com/AboutUs/~/media/USTA/Document%20Assets/2008/06/12/doc_13_15617.ashx

My reading is that the ref. could have given fed. a code violation for "audible or visible obscenity or profanity". This type of offense actually falls under the "always penalize" category.

Now it's possible that what federer was doing could also be categorized as "attacks on the competence of an official". This is listed as a "generally penalizable" offense.

Still an open question about whether technically each verbal obscenity (federer had 4) can be counted as a separate one, in which case federer could have been defaulted.

Amazingly the rules say that players can also be "generally penalized" for gestures such as "come on" or "okay" after the opponent double faults or makes an error on an easy shot. lol. :)

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 08:09 AM
He is a good sportsman when winning.
When he is losing or looks under pressure in an event that means anything to him, he becomes a sore loser. A prancing primadona if you will.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Ok, but I think you're still not making sense. I'm too tired for arguments right now.

So, the system is there. Federer doesn't like it, but he still uses it. And he reserves for himself the right not to give points to his opponents, if he thinks that hawkeye was wrong in that case (especially if it was accidentally an important point). Isn't that like having it both ways?
Uhm..no he dosent reserve any rights.He went by the Umpire's decision for the point .Of course he's allowed to concede a point if he wants to or for that matter any player is.But if they dont they are not the ones to be blamed as it is not their job to do so.
If anything the Umpire should be put under scrutiny not Roger.

tahiti
09-16-2009, 10:26 AM

I totally agree. Easy to be a good sportsman when you're winning, who can't do that. True character comes out when under pressure. The ace that he didn't give Djokovic just shows how he's prepared to win. At all costs. No justification of a bad call at all, even when it was staring at him right in the face. I didn't dislike Federer, he just wasn't my favourite, but he will never get my vote for anything from now on. Just pure unsportmansly that SF. I didn't even bother to watch the final because of it. I am so glad Del Potro won and I will see the incident in due course on you-tube. Put Fed under pressure and "all that glitters isn't gold."

danb
09-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Noooo - he never swears at the linesperson ... Oh, wait he does swear at the umpire; he is entitled to, he is Roger Federer :twisted::twisted::twisted:

danb
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Fed is a Sunday gentleman. Watch him losing and swearing at the umpire in a GS final. He didn't even get fined.

Henry Kaspar
09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
I always thought that he's not half the sportsman Nadal is. This said, after the defeat to Del Potro he did fine, didn't he?

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I thought calling Nadal one dimensinal after losing was pretty low on Rogers part.

フェデラー
09-16-2009, 10:42 AM
why do you people care so much? So he said ****. whats the big deal?

matchmaker
09-16-2009, 10:45 AM
In the semi final against Djokovic, when it was tight in the first set, Djoker servers a nice serve out wide in the deuce court. Fed was only able to knick it with his racket. The linesman called the serve good, but the chair (Norm Chryst) overruled. Djoker challenged the overrule and Hawkeye confirmed that the serve was good.

At this point Norm must have had a brain freeze, because he called a let and then played the point over again. The overrule clearly did affect Federer's ability to return the serve. In fact the original line call was 'in'. No way could the overrule have happened in time on a first serve. Djoker should have been awarded the point.

Even Mary Carillo at the time said she was surprised Fed didn't concede Djoker the point. A similar thing happened in the third set with Fed comfortably ahead. This time he conceded the point.

So Fed is only a sportsman when he has nothing to lose.

I was thinking exactly the same thing at that time.

The serve was shown in by Hawk Eye and it was clearly unreturnable. I even think it was a plain ace, because the slow motion showed it actually did not hit the racquet of Federer, as it first seemed, but turned outwards because of the effect.

Fed was very unsportsmanlike not to conced that point.

session404
09-16-2009, 10:53 AM

The serve was shown in by Hawk Eye and it was clearly unreturnable. I even think it was a plain ace, because the slow motion showed it actually did not hit the racquet of Federer, as it first seemed, but turned outwards because of the effect.

Fed was very unsportsmanlike not to conced that point.

Just imagine if the roles were reversed. Djokovic would be crucified by this forum.

Listen, everyone has good days and bad days where they lose their temper or their composure. Fed had one of those bad days on Monday and was unsportsmanlike on that Djokovic ace. Nobody's perfect. End of story.

ArrowSmith
09-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Guys he's won the Stefan Edberg award 5 years in a row. So the ATP players obviously think he is.

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 11:16 AM
He is a good sportsman when winning.
When he is losing or looks under pressure in an event that means anything to him, he becomes a sore loser. A prancing primadona if you will.

You remind me of someone...hmm.

flyinghippos101
09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Guys he's won the Stefan Edberg award 5 years in a row. So the ATP players obviously think he is.

Agreed, Fed must be huble enough to gain the admiration of his peers, FIVE times in a row. Besides, it's the players that know's Fed better than the public does and unless fed hired hitmen to coerce other ATP players under threat of violence and death to their faimly to vote for Fed for the Stefan Edberg award five times to maintain the "nice guy" front, then I'm pretty sure it's conclusive that the tour likes him.

icedevil0289
09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I totally agree. Easy to be a good sportsman when you're winning, who can't do that. True character comes out when under pressure. The ace that he didn't give Djokovic just shows how he's prepared to win. At all costs. No justification of a bad call at all, even when it was staring at him right in the face. I didn't dislike Federer, he just wasn't my favourite, but he will never get my vote for anything from now on. Just pure unsportmansly that SF. I didn't even bother to watch the final because of it. I am so glad Del Potro won and I will see the incident in due course on you-tube. Put Fed under pressure and "all that glitters isn't gold."

I was disappointed/surprised he did not concede the point, but in the end it is the umpire's decision.

fed isn't perfect, far from it, but he isn't a bad sportsman either. Trust me, your hero is not perfect either and I've seen him not give other people points as well.

oh btw, didn't fed concede another point later on?

flyinghippos101
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I was disappointed/surprised he did not concede the point, but in the end it is the umpire's decision.

fed isn't perfect, far from it, but he isn't a bad sportsman either. Trust me, your hero is not perfect either and I've seen him not give other people points as well.

oh btw, didn't fed concede another point later on?

Yeah I remember something along the lines of Federer going for a changeover after a ball was called out and Delpo was serving at like 40-15, Federer confirmed it was good.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
You remind me of someone...hmm.

Really? How nice.
Btw, are the official nike/RF 16 jackets on sale yet?

wyutani
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
hw do you show anger with 15 grand slam wins. w/o his grand slam, he'll just be another koellerer.

wyutani
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
why do you people care so much? So he said ****. whats the big deal?

? wot? if i call u ****. how would u react? another dumb post. congrats for being no.1 at it.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Fed was very unsportsmanlike not to conced that point. I dont know what you're talking about because the way he was playing,he was NEVER in danger of losing that match even if you want to get it down on one point.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Yeah I remember something along the lines of Federer going for a changeover after a ball was called out and Delpo was serving at like 40-15, Federer confirmed it was good..So much for being a bad sportsman.:roll:

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Its easy to be a good sportsman when you win but when you lose thats a different story.

Federer rarely loses so it seems like he is a good sportsman....but lets just see....

He ran off the court at Wimbledon after losing to Nadal

He cried at the AO after losing to nadal

He amashed his racquet into pieces this year

He called Nadal one dimensional

He accused Uncle Toni of cheating

He laid into jankovic for no reason and said she didnt deservbe the #1

Ge laid into Djokovic for giving up

.....I will admit that he was pretty gracious in defeat to del potro but to be honest its the only time I have ever seen him be gracious. He usually has an excuse...its never that the other guy just played well.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:18 PM
^^ what have Jankovic and Djokovic got anything to do with being gracious after losses? And if telling the truth is being ungracious I'd rather have that.
Now..
1) He did NOT run off the court after losing to Nadal.
2) He cried because of the crowd.He broke down after someone in the crowd yelled they loved him.
3) He NEVER questioned Nadal's effectiveness he simply said his game was yet to be very layered.
4) The Umpire looked at Toni THRICE during the match.Even Bodo who generally is pretty nasty when it comes to Roger called Toni out on it.

And speaking of excuses Nadal himself offers TONS .

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Its easy to be a good sportsman when you win but when you lose thats a different story.

Federer rarely loses so it seems like he is a good sportsman....but lets just see....

He ran off the court at Wimbledon after losing to Nadal

He cried at the AO after losing to nadal

He amashed his racquet into pieces this year

He called Nadal one dimensional

He accused Uncle Toni of cheating

He laid into jankovic for no reason and said she didnt deservbe the #1

Ge laid into Djokovic for giving up

.....I will admit that he was pretty gracious in defeat to del potro but to be honest its the only time I have ever seen him be gracious. He usually has an excuse...its never that the other guy just played well.

Dont forget him telling ump to switch hawkeye off and throwing bottles on floor for bellhop ball kids to retrieve.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Dont forget him telling ump to switch hawkeye off and throwing bottles on floor for bellhop ball kids to retrieve.

Yeah..but lets forget that the umpire himself said he couldnt believe the ball was in .And lets forget that he often throws/flicks water bottles into the dustbins only that one time they did not land in.And it wasnt even like he threw them 'at' the ballboys.

ASL
09-16-2009, 12:29 PM
throwing bottles on floor for bellhop ball kids to retrieve.

That has to be the lowest thing one can do on a tennis court...

bolo
09-16-2009, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=mandy01;39487373) He NEVER questioned Nadal's effectiveness he simply said his game was yet to be very layered.
.[/QUOTE]

Sure he did, he meant one-dimensional in a way to imply that federer was going to figure nadal out. It was definitely not a neutral statement about nadal's game. I am still waiting for the figuring out to happen, maybe next year.

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
^^ what have Jankovic and Djokovic got anything to do with being gracious after losses? And if telling the truth is being ungracious I'd rather have that.
Now..
1) He did NOT run off the court after losing to Nadal.
2) He cried because of the crowd.He broke down after someone in the crowd yelled they loved him.
3) He NEVER questioned Nadal's effectiveness he simply said his game was yet to be very layered.
4) The Umpire looked at Toni THRICE during the match.Even Bodo who generally is pretty nasty when it comes to Roger called Toni out on it.

And speaking of excuses Nadal himself offers TONS .

I forgot when he threw the water bottles on the floor to the ball boy like he was a piece of dirt.

1- Federer absolutley ran off the court after losing Wimbledon and left Bid Collins with no one to interview and then he cried into Mcenroes arms in the post match inbterview

2- I dont care what the excuse you come up with for why he cried at the AO....but it certainly looked bad.....real bad.

3- He called Nadal on dimensional after getting beaten.....who is talking abput effectiveness??? That simply was a cheap shot at Nadal.

4- Even if Toni cheated which he did not.....I dont think that why Federer lost the FO to Nadal for 4 years in a row. It was just another cheap shot.

Federer does not lose much but when he does he just does not show all that much class.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Federer has won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award 5 years in a row:D

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
"Don't tell me to be quiet, OK?" When I want to talk, I talk."

Federer to umpire garner In the Del Potro match

ASL
Federer does not lose much but when he does he just does not show all that much class.

He is very spoilt. you take toy away form him and he will cry for the next 24h.

Gut Feeling
Federer has won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award 5 years in a row:D

and Arafat won the Nobel peace prize.

Its easy to be a good sportsman when you win.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I can guarantee that after a team loses a Game 7 of the World Series/Stanley Cup/NBA Finals or the Super Bowl everyone is crying in the locker room.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
and Arafat won the Nobel peace prize.

Its easy to be a good sportsman when you win.

Then why hasn't Nadal gotten it yet?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I forgot when he threw the water bottles on the floor to the ball boy like he was a piece of dirt.

1- Federer absolutley ran off the court after losing Wimbledon and left Bid Collins with no one to interview and then he cried into Mcenroes arms in the post match inbterview

2- I dont care what the excuse you come up with for why he cried at the AO....but it certainly looked bad.....real bad.

3- He called Nadal on dimensional after getting beaten.....who is talking abput effectiveness??? That simply was a cheap shot at Nadal.

4- Even if Toni cheated which he did not.....I dont think that why Federer lost the FO to Nadal for 4 years in a row. It was just another cheap shot.

1) Bud Collins wasnt there at Wimbledon .And no,he didnt cry into JMac's arms,Jmac asked him to give him a hug and while he was starting to well -up he wasnt crying then.
2,3 &4 are all your opinions...I'd rather take what Roger said than take sugar-coated, politically correct crap.And where did Fed blame his FO loss on Uncle Toni's demeanor in Rome?Or for that matter he didnt even blame his Rome loss on that.He was asked about the whole on-court coaching thing and he answered.

And he didnt throw anything 'at' the ball boys.The bottle landed near the dustbin.

BTW-Nadal refused an interview after he lost to Soderling too :wink:

JennyS
09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Also, remember when Federer gave Djokovic a point during the semifinal?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Then why hasn't Nadal gotten it yet?Its all a part of a big conspiracy.They wanted Fed to win five times..so they conspired against Nadal.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Btw, for those interested, here are the previous winners of the Sportsmanship Award. For those that think Federer only gets it because he's the top player, think again.

2008 Roger Federer Switzerland
2007 Roger Federer Switzerland
2006 Roger Federer Switzerland
2005 Roger Federer Switzerland
2004 Roger Federer Switzerland
2003 Paradorn Srichaphan Thailand
2002 Paradorn Srichaphan Thailand
2001 Patrick Rafter Australia
2000 Patrick Rafter Australia
1999 Patrick Rafter Australia
1998 Alex Corretja Spain
1997 Patrick Rafter Australia
1996 Alex Corretja Spain
1995 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1994 Todd Martin United States
1993 Todd Martin United States
1992 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1991 John Fitzgerald Australia
1990 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1989 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1988 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1987 Miloslav Mečř Czechoslovakia
1986 Yannick Noah France
1985 Mats Wilander Sweden
1984 Brian Gottfried United States
1983 Jose Higueras Spain
1982 Steve Denton United States

No awards for Sampras, Agassi, Lendl or Nadal.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah..but lets forget that the umpire himself said he couldnt believe the ball was in .And lets forget that he often throws/flicks water bottles into the dustbins only that one time they did not land in.And it wasnt even like he threw them 'at' the ballboys.

Funny that it only happens when he is feeling under pressure. Maybe it upsets his aim and the bottles dont go where he wants them to

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe it upsets his aim and the bottles dont go where he wants them to

lol. 10 char. :)

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Funny that it only happens when he is feeling under pressure. Maybe it upsets his aim and the bottles dont go where he wants them to
No its happened before only fans like you wanted to make a big deal when he lost and that happened.

icedevil0289
09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Also, remember when Federer gave Djokovic a point during the semifinal?

no of course not, why would they.?The *********s/fedhaters only focus on the negative things fed has done, while dismissing all the nice things he has said or done.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
No its happened before only fans like you wanted to make a big deal when he lost and that happened.

If i remember correctly, it happened several times in one match. Maybe a more grounded person would stop after doing it once, realising it made him look a d!ck

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
no of course not, why would they. The *********s/fedhaters only focus on the negative things fed has done, while dismissing all the nice things he has said or done.and most of their so called allegations are totally baseless.lol.The guy does what? flicks bottles at the dustbins and he's poor sport :lol:
Where does all that so called fairness and sportsmanship go when it comes to Nadal's incessant time-wasting and MTOs?

Cesc Fabregas
I think Federer should have all his sportsman awards taken off him.

mandy01
If i remember correctly, it happened several times in one match. Maybe a more grounded person would stop after doing it once, realising it made him look a d!ck
No it didnt..It happened ONCE.You remember wrong.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:14 PM

And his last 2 slams.

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:15 PM

lol. That's too much....but I would vote for 1 being taken away and given to james blake in the year he came back from injury. :)

Cyan
09-16-2009, 01:18 PM
LOL @ no winning the poll.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Here is the criteria for the Award:
"The player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities (Voting closed: March 23, 2009, 06:19:04 AM)"

I can tell you why Federer is perceived as such a good sportsman by his peers...

A. He plays fair and respects the rules. I have never seen a top player that passionate about making sure rules are enforced. I applaud him for calling players out for time wasting, on court coaching, etc.

B. He plays quietly. Grunting on top of your lungs is seen by many as cheating.

C. When he compliments his opponents, he seems sincere. Any of his negative remarks are pretty constructive. I can't remember him making any personal remarks about another player (ie, "He's a big jerK!" or "wow, he really got fat."

D. When he celebrates winning a point, he doesn't rub it in his opponents' faces. No dancing around the court with big fist pumps or screaming.

E. He doesn't talk about himself in third person. Some big star athletes do:D

F. He does great work off the court.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:21 PM
lol. That's too much....but I would vote for 1 being taken away and given to james blake in the year he came back from injury. :)

Personally, i would like him retire. Much as i enjoy seeing him getting beat by legitimate opponents who are not scared of him, im just sick of seeing the guy on my tv. He should do the decent thing and call it a day

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Here is the criteria for the Award:
"The player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities (Voting closed: March 23, 2009, 06:19:04 AM)"

I can tell you why Federer is perceived as such a good sportsman by his peers...

A. He plays fair and respects the rules. I have never seen a top player that passionate about making sure rules are enforced. I applaud him for calling players out for time wasting, on court coaching, etc.

B. He plays quietly. Grunting on top of your lungs is seen by many as cheating.

C. When he compliments his opponents, he seems sincere. Any of his negative remarks are pretty constructive. I can't remember him making any personal remarks about another player (ie, "He's a big jerK!" or "wow, he really got fat."

D. When he celebrates winning a point, he doesn't rub it in his opponents' faces. No dancing around the court with big fist pumps or screaming.

E. He doesn't talk about himself in third person. Some big star athletes do:D

F. He does great work off the court.

You forgot to add that he never cheers ufe's... Oh hang on....

icedevil0289
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Personally, i would like him retire. Much as i enjoy seeing him getting beat by legitimate opponents who are not scared of him, im just sick of seeing the guy on my tv. He should do the decent thing and call it a day

it seems your hater towards federer is much greater than tennis and/or your favorite player.

pmerk34
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Btw, for those interested, here are the previous winners of the Sportsmanship Award. For those that think Federer only gets it because he's the top player, think again.

2008 Roger Federer Switzerland
2007 Roger Federer Switzerland
2006 Roger Federer Switzerland
2005 Roger Federer Switzerland
2004 Roger Federer Switzerland
2003 Paradorn Srichaphan Thailand
2002 Paradorn Srichaphan Thailand
2001 Patrick Rafter Australia
2000 Patrick Rafter Australia
1999 Patrick Rafter Australia
1998 Alex Corretja Spain
1997 Patrick Rafter Australia
1996 Alex Corretja Spain
1995 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1994 Todd Martin United States
1993 Todd Martin United States
1992 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1991 John Fitzgerald Australia
1990 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1989 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1988 Stefan Edberg Sweden
1987 Miloslav Mečř Czechoslovakia
1986 Yannick Noah France
1985 Mats Wilander Sweden
1984 Brian Gottfried United States
1983 Jose Higueras Spain
1982 Steve Denton United States

No awards for Sampras, Agassi, Lendl or Nadal.

Why would Lendl ever be on that list?

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:28 PM

lol. I think he is an annoying guy too but I like watching him play.

ASL
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Yep, and he cheers proudly!

~ZoSo~
it seems your hater towards federer is much greater than tennis and/or your favorite player.

Not quite. But you couldnt really blame anybody if it was, imo

Cesc Fabregas
Nadal is a better rolemodel for kids than Federer.

ASL
09-16-2009, 01:31 PM

The guy has faults, don't delude yourself.

asdfuogh
I think.. Federer was getting ****ed that Delpo takes a bajillion seconds to decide because he looks to his coach for advice on challenges. Remember, Federer is very against on-court coaching because it's not part of traditional tennis or something.

JennyS
Its all a part of a big conspiracy.They wanted Fed to win five times..so they conspired against Nadal.

LOL. The real reason is that Nadal doesn't play fairly.

1. He often abuses the time between points, sometimes taking 35-40 seconds to serve. Gamesmanship.

2. He apparently tries to intimidate opponents in the locker room (sprinting around like a mad man, then taking forever to get out of the locker room when it's time to go) Again, taking forever to get out of his chair at the start of the match.

3. Loud grunting on every ball.

4. Dancing around, fist pumping and loud cries of vamos!

rich01
09-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Your momma is a poor sportsman.

ASL
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM

Of course. Much more friendly than that loser.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
He does.Just not as much as your boy does and not the way your boy does.For a top player,he actually does it very rarely considering the amount of pressure he always has on himself.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Their peers would disagree.

ASL
09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
He does.Just not as much as your boy does and not the way your boy does.For a top player,he actually does it very rarely considering the amount of pressure he always has on himself.

Against Novak, he cheered all the time on his errors eventhough he had the match under control.

P_Agony

And Cecs Fabregas is an objective poster.

Who's the next to come up with a funny sentence?

JennyS
There has to be some reason why Federer has won a Sportsmanship award 5 times while Sampas, Nadal, Becker, Agassi, Lendl and others never won it once.

Maybe it's because the guy plays with integrity and fairness.

Cesc Fabregas
And Cecs Fabregas is an objective poster.

Who's the next to come up with a funny sentence?

Federer's serve is better than Roddick's. Now your turn.

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I have to agree that nadal is a better sports rolemodel overall for the kids. Nadal's timewasting versus federer's sore loserness, Nadal FTW! :)

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Against Novak, he cheered all the time on his errors eventhough he had the match under control. No he didnt.Dont even think of telling me that crap.He cheered mostly on his winners which were in plenty.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
LOL. The real reason is that Nadal doesn't play fairly.

1. He often abuses the time between points, sometimes taking 35-40 seconds to serve. Gamesmanship.

2. He apparently tries to intimidate opponents in the locker room (sprinting around like a mad man, then taking forever to get out of the locker room when it's time to go) Again, taking forever to get out of his chair at the start of the match.

3. Loud grunting on every ball.

4. Dancing around, fist pumping and loud cries of vamos!

Just checking, but is there any player, since mcenroe who has spoken to an ump as badly as fed did?

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I have to agree that nadal is a better sports rolemodel overall. Nadal's timewasting versus federer's sore loserness, Nadal FTW! :) Nadal comes across as a sore loser many a times..

ASL
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
No he didnt.Dont even think of telling me that crap.He cheered mostly on his winners which were in plenty.

He absolutely did! In the first set especially.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Just checking, but is there any player, since mcenroe who has spoken to an ump as badly as fed did?yeah there are plenty who did worse and did so frequently.

ASL
09-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Did he actually say that? LOL

bolo
Nadal comes across as a sore loser many a times..

Not to me, good composure while losing during the game and after.

hey no one is perfect, fed. does lots of stuff outside match play so he seems like a good guy overall.

~ZoSo~
I have to agree that nadal is a better sports rolemodel overall for the kids. Nadal's timewasting versus federer's sore loserness, Nadal FTW! :)

Not to mention his conceitedness

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM
He absolutely did! In the first set especially.He absolutely didnt! :lol:You can try all you want I saw that match,no way I'm believing your crap.
& LOOOOL ..You'd might as well look at the amount of times and the amount of matches other players do it in atleast :lol:

Mikey Fresh
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Hes black underneath?

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
uh oh I think this is bruce's cue to enter this thread. :)

JennyS
09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Just checking, but is there any player, since mcenroe who has spoken to an ump as badly as fed did?

The ump spoke badly to him. Federer didn't call the umpire a name, he wanted him to do his job. He wasn't being abusive at all. The guy told him to be quiet and he said "I don't give a sh1t." That's not the same as Connors calling someone an abortion, Serena saying she could shove a ball down someone's throat, Hewitt making a racist comment or Roddick telling a ref to get a spine and implying he never finished 2nd grade.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Not to me, good composure while losing during the game and after.

hey no one is perfect, fed. does lots of stuff outside match play so he seems like a good guy overall. I agree Nadal actually can remain in better control of his feelings after a loss but hey,lets be honest here..all top players have an ego,especially the ones who dominate hell a lot.

Cesc Fabregas
09-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Did he actually say that? LOL

Agony thinks Federer's serve is the best in the game, and is nearly as good as Pete's.

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I gave a bunch of instances where Fed was a bad sport...but sadly they were erased.

Sorry not allowed to talk about it.

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
well fed swore and was questioning the competence of the ref. The 2nd offense might or might not be punished. The first is definitely punishable, ref. had an opportunity to give him a warning or a point penalty there.

~ZoSo~
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
There has to be some reason why Federer has won a Sportsmanship award 5 times while Sampas, Nadal, Becker, Agassi, Lendl and others never won it once.

Maybe it's because the guy plays with integrity and fairness.

Maybe the judges didnt get to see him after a defeat, so they didnt see him after the mask slipped

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Agony thinks Federer's serve is the best in the game, and is nearly as good as Pete's. You missed the bolded part. :wink:Its not as consistent maybe but when its on its very very good.

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Agony thinks Federer's serve is the best in the game, and is nearly as good as Pete's.

Another classic, right after everyone in the top 20 being more talented than nadal.

JennyS
Federer's family is also incredibly classy. They applauded Rafa winning Wimbledon and applauded Delpo the other night. And funny how no one gave Roger credit for how classy he acted after losing the final the other night.

Seriously, Federer would be considered the biggest Saint in the history of the NFL or NBA if he played those sports. Just think of Terrell Owens or Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson....

icedevil0289
The guy has faults, don't delude yourself.

um, when did I say he didn't have faults? I don't think he is perfect, far from it, but he is not a bad person either.

Cesc Fabregas
09-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Another classic, right after everyone in the top 20 being more talented than nadal.

Yeah. Gasquet is more talented than Nadal. :)

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM

I meant a funny sentence, try again.

bolo
09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah. Gasquet is more talented than Nadal. :)

Robredo more talented than nadal?

JennyS
Maybe the judges didnt get to see him after a defeat, so they didnt see him after the mask slipped

The "judges" are his peers. His peers all have a ton of respect for him and call him a great guy. He is, by far, more popular on tour than Nadal, Djokovic and Murray.

~ZoSo~
um, when did I say he didn't have faults? I don't think he is perfect, far from it, but he is not a bad person either.

Fed put himself in the firing line with those wimbledon fancy dress costumes amongst other things.

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:51 PM

I said everyone in the top 5, not top 20.

I've got one: "Nadal is clearly injured again" - just about every Nadal fan after he got crushed by Del Potro.

mandy01
um, when did I say he didn't have faults? I don't think he is perfect, far from it, but he is not a bad person either. According to *******s or Fedhaters if Federer fans dont think he's a bad person they think he's perfect.

Gut Feeling
Seriously, Federer would be considered the biggest Saint in the history of the NFL ....

When Belichek walked ran off the field afyer losing tothe Giants he was crucified.....When federer ran off the court after losing to Nadal nothing happened...in fact you guys think it was classy.

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
"Nadal donated the USO 2008 to Federer out of the goodness of his heart" - TheNatrual. Still a huge laugh and it's been more than a year.

~ZoSo~
The "judges" are his peers. His peers all have a ton of respect for him and call him a great guy. He is, by far, more popular on tour than Nadal, Djokovic and Murray.

He seems very respectful to the people he gets to steamroll on a regular basis

bolo
I said everyone in the top 5, not top 20.

I've got one: "Nadal is clearly injured again" - just about every Nadal fan after he got crushed by Del Potro.

I remember everyone in the top 20. I wouldn't have remembered at all at top 5. Maybe you corrected it?

Emelia21
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I wonder if Roger had a Jacket with 16 in his bag ? I guess we will never know :)

Cesc Fabregas
Robredo more talented than nadal?

Yep. Throw in Dudi Sela aswell, lol.

mandy01
Fed put himself in the firing line with those wimbledon fancy dress costumes amongst other things. yeah because Rafa's pirate pants and sleeveless(which FYI werent even allowed for a long time in tennis) were soooo classy :roll:

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I remember everyone in the top 20. I wouldn't have remembered at all at top 5. Maybe you corrected it?

Never said top 20, maybe top 10 but even that I doubt. I said Nadal has relatively less natural talent than some top players, but more than makes up for it with his will, consistency, mental strength, and speed.

Gut Feeling
I dont know if I am allowed to say this....

But remember when Federer threw his water bottles down on the ground to the ball boys like they were dirt?

P_Agony
Yep. Throw in Dudi Sela aswell, lol.

Sela has a better net game than Nadal, that's for sure. Sela lacks physical strength to become a top player. He's too small and weak.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Roger had a Jacket with 16 in his bag ? I guess we will never know :)He didnt.He made it clear he wasnt going get one.

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I wonder if Roger had a Jacket with 16 in his bag ? I guess we will never know :)

Nah, but I bet he had some diapers.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 01:56 PM
I dont know if I am allowed to say this....

But remember when Federer threw his water bottles down on the ground to the ball boys like they were dirt?
You just repeated what you already said well before :lol:
Try harder :lol:

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Oh, I remember that. Can you imagine Nadal doing something like that?

Nadal will never do such things, that's why he won 5 consecutive sportsmanshup awards. Oh, wait...

Emelia21
Federer's family is also incredibly classy. They applauded Rafa winning Wimbledon and applauded Delpo the other night. And funny how no one gave Roger credit for how classy he acted after losing the final the other night.
Seriously, Federer would be considered the biggest Saint in the history of the NFL or NBA if he played those sports. Just think of Terrell Owens or Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson....

I did, and he should be classy after losing

Gut Feeling
You just repeated what already said well before ;lol:
Try harder :lol:

No that was deleted. Im not really allowed to point out how Federer is a bad sportsman.

~ZoSo~
yeah because Rafa pirate pants and sleeveless(which FYI werent even allowed for a long time in tennis) were soooo classy :roll:

You miss the point. What nadal wore was his playing attire. Not an elaborate costume to make a point, which is only worn for 2 minutes. And looks ridiculous to most people.

JennyS
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
When Belichek walked ran off the field afyer losing tothe Giants he was crucified.....When federer ran off the court after losing to Nadal nothing happened...in fact you guys think it was classy.

He didn't run off the court! He stayed for the entire trophy ceremony and even gave a full interview with McEnroe afterward.

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Here's another classic - "Sampras is an overall better on clay than Federer" - grafselesfan in denial.

Cesc Fabregas
09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Sela has a better net game than Nadal, that's for sure. Sela lacks physical strength to become a top player. He's too small and weak.

Based on what? and even if he does, Nadal does everything a million times better, the same with your other buddy Gasquet.

mandy01
You miss the point. What nadal wore was his playing attire. Not an elaborate costume to make a point, which is only worn for 2 minutes. And looks ridiculous to most people.um...so? It looked ridiculous to YOU.

Gut Feeling
Nadal will never do such things, that's why he won 5 consecutive sportsmanshup awards. Oh, wait...

What if Nadal called federers game a girly touchy feely game.....because federer seemed to put down rafa game by calling it one dimensional after he got beaten.

I dont think that was very sportsmanlike.

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 02:01 PM
He didn't run off the court! He stayed for the entire trophy ceremony and even gave a full interview with McEnroe afterward.

Not true. He left Bud Collins just standing there with no one to interview.

And remember how he cried into mcenroes arms??? Thats why he ran off the court...he didnt want to get caught crying.

~ZoSo~

Nadal hasnt done it. Ever. And feds award does nothing to dispel the feeling of many that he is in fact a bad sport.

mandy01
No that was deleted. Im not really allowed to point out how Federer is a bad sportsman.
More like you're not allowed to repeat yourself again and again.:lol:

P_Agony
What if Nadal called federers game a girly touchy feely game.....because federer seemed to put down rafa game by calling it one dimensional after he got beaten.

I dont think that was very sportsmanlike.

Fed didn't say it as an insult, and has over the years developed his statements based on Nadal's development as a player. What can you do - 2005 Nadal was highly one dimensional. Even today I think of him than as less varied than most other players.

How can you call an offensive, aggressive game girly is beyond me. I guess it makes tennis a girly sport and all tennis players girly.

Gut Feeling
What are these awards exactly and who decides who gets them?

When fed wins he is an incredible sportsman....but when he loses....its ugly.

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Fed didn't say it as an insult, .

How is calling someones game "one dimensional" a compliment? Especially after losing?

mandy01
Nadal hasnt done it. Ever. And feds award does nothing to dispel the feeling of many that he is in fact a bad sport.
Your point being? What you say dosent to anything to dispel the feeling of millions that Roger is a great sport especially when measured against the magnitude of his achievements.

P_Agony

So many players dislike Nadal, say he's scaring them before matches. Even Monfils' coach said that about Nadal. And let's not even begin to talk about Nadal's dirty tactics of time wasting + "injury" timeouts, we won't finish it today. I would rather have someone drop bottles out of frustration than have someone intimidate his opponent.

Gut Feeling
09-16-2009, 02:04 PM
True, but isn't everyone good sportsman when they win? Being a gentleman when losing is the true test IMO.

Yeah bit this is FW.....Federer Warehouse.:shock:

~ZoSo~
um...so? It looked ridiculous to YOU.

I think you are well aware that it was found to be ridiculous by many more than just me. As evidenced by the articles in many respectable news sources suggesting he had lost the plot.

Emelia21
Nah, but I bet he had some diapers.

Nah, he only has diapers in his bag when facing Nadal