PDA

View Full Version : Update on Nadal In jury: problems in rectus abdominus?

babbette
09-15-2009, 02:27 PM
:(
google translate

The bitter chocolate Rafa Nadal

There is concern about possible muscle tear in the rectus tennis

MADRID - 15/09/2009

A muscle delicate, fragile and slow recovery when damaged. Problems in the rectus abdominis, that commonly known as the muscle of the chocolate, the portrait drawing in the central belt of the womb, are not easily resolved. And the injury truly concerned about the environment of world number two.

Dr. Ruiz Cotorro, Nadal's doctor said yesterday the Public "this type of injury are very bloody, we must diagnose very well and is very difficult to know the recovery time.

Nadal on Thursday to undergo a scan to clear the big question. Contracture or broken fibers. A choice that will impact very different in the timing of the Spaniard. Contracture resolved in days. Conversely, a break, even of small size and need weeks of rest.

"Until we have the results of ultrasound, we can not plan any treatment. HacÚrsela wait for because it is preferable not to do immediately after a game: it takes three days off," says Ruiz Cotorro.

Nadal's injury, which forced him in recent days to run their serves with pain, lies in the central region of the muscle around the navel. "This is the typical area, which always tends to injure: the periumbilical region. For Rafa, it hurts on the right side, right next to the navel. Contracture can be a base or torn fibers. The prognosis and treatment are very different in function as determined by the ultrasound.

On your calendar is scheduled to play in Bangkok in two weeks

What is certain is that the tennis not played Davis Cup, played this weekend in Murcia. Both he and Verdasco, who has also had problems in the abdomen in New York have declined the invitation to play against Israel Coast. Prefers recovered well to finish the season in good condition.

ruerooo
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
:(
google translate

Oh God, Babbette -- are you saying (is this article saying) there's a possibility that Rafa has torn an ab muscle???:confused::cry::shock:

topsltennis
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I was diagnosed with a second degree tear of the rectous abdominous awhile back. I have continued to play through it but I have likely caused some further problems. Interestingly, I also have very tender knees as well- perhaps there's a connection, don't know.

Fedace
09-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Yes not gonna play in the Davis cup. Just rest that ab til the masters final and forget that Paris indoors as well. More rest the better..... bigger fish to fry like the Aussie open coming up......

OddJack
09-15-2009, 08:21 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Rectus_abdominis.png

egn
09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
oh god. Nadal needs to get this treated and take a long break. As much as he needs to play and the tour needs him he needs time to relax. When he comes back he has the fighter in him and he always tries to give it all and he is making it worse. He needs to take some serious time off =[ No more of this crap..stop caring so much about the rank and focus on getting back healthy. Personally if Nadal needs to take off the res tof the year get the surgery, rest and then gets back in shape that would be great. Defending his Australian Open title right now should be his number 1 goal!

Fedace
09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Is that the 6 pack ??

OddJack
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Is that the 6 pack ??

From wikipedia:

The rectus abdominis muscle is a paired muscle running vertically on each side of the anterior wall of the human abdomen (and in some other animals). There are two parallel muscles, separated by a midline band of connective tissue called the linea alba (white line). It extends from the pubic symphysis/pubic crest inferiorly to the xiphisternum/xiphoid process and lower costal cartilages (5–7) superiorly.

It is contained in the Rectus sheath.

The rectus is usually crossed by three fibrous bands licked by the tendinous inscriptions. While the "sixpack" is by far the most common configuration of the muscle bellies of the rectus, there exist rare anatomic variations which result in the appearance of eight ("eightpack"), ten, or—even rarer—asymmetrically arranged segments. All these variations are functionally equivalent.

CyBorg
09-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I guess his buttpicking days are over.

drgreenthumb
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
El wedgus (Latin for wedgie?) simplus needus adjustmentus sempre!

namelessone
09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
What I would like to know is how he managed to have this injury in the first place? Rectus abdominus? I understand having problems with knees,shoulders,other joints,or certain muscles that are very much used in tennis and so on but I rarely heard of muscle tears in the abdomen,especially in this sport.

Nadal is pretty unlucky in this case. While you could blame him for overplaying his knees I don't think anyone could have foreseen some ab pain turning into a 15 mm abdominal tear(that takes him out for a month) with a few weeks of playing tennis.
I think this awful year as far as injuries are concerned have really put Rafa on the fence so to speak. How does he know when to pull out of competition because of pain? Does he stay to risk title x(with limited physical capacity due to whatever pain he might have) with the real posibility of the pain developing into something else or does he pack it up and go home?

Nadal had pain in his knees since MC,overplayed and had to be sidelined for 2 months.After his return,he had some ab pain in Montreal,played 3 tournaments and has to be sidelined for a month because of the newly developed abdominal tear.

It's a pretty crappy situation. If he skips a few tournaments to heal up,he will come fresher but rusty again when it comes to his strokes. If he plays he will have health problems but will keep his stroke consistency which has improved since his recovery. I admit that if I were in his situation I wouldn't know what to do.

rafan
09-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I think he came back far too soon. He should have rested until he really was 100%

Vermillion
09-15-2009, 10:49 PM
What I would like to know is how he managed to have this injury in the first place? Rectus abdominus? I understand having problems with knees,shoulders,other joints,or certain muscles that are very much used in tennis and so on but I rarely heard of muscle tears in the abdomen,especially in this sport.

Nadal is pretty unlucky in this case. While you could blame him for overplaying his knees I don't think anyone could have foreseen some ab pain turning into a 15 mm abdominal tear(that takes him out for a month) with a few weeks of playing tennis.
I think this awful year as far as injuries are concerned have really put Rafa on the fence so to speak. How does he know when to pull out of competition because of pain? Does he stay to risk title x(with limited physical capacity due to whatever pain he might have) with the real posibility of the pain developing into something else or does he pack it up and go home?

Nadal had pain in his knees since MC,overplayed and had to be sidelined for 2 months.After his return,he had some ab pain in Montreal,played 3 tournaments and has to be sidelined for a month because of the newly developed abdominal tear.

It's a pretty crappy situation. If he skips a few tournaments to heal up,he will come fresher but rusty again when it comes to his strokes. If he plays he will have health problems but will keep his stroke consistency which has improved since his recovery. I admit that if I were in his situation I wouldn't know what to do.

I think he should really get rested up, he's not gonna drop out of the top 10 any time soon so why rush?

As for being rusty, he's just too good. I don't think a long break would hurt him very much in terms of results. And since it's almost the end of the season, it's the best time to rest up.

ArrowSmith
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
The injuries are piling up for Nadal. I predict he's out of the game by 2011.

mandy01
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
OMG..I'm hoping and praying this isnt true :cry:

crazylevity
09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I think with this abdominal injury, some light hitting is still possible. It seemed to affect mostly the serve, while Rafa's strokes still looked pretty good for the most part of the US Open.

He won't be able to win without his serve up to par, but he'll manage to get some training in, I reckon.

ruerooo
09-16-2009, 12:13 AM

Actually, tennis uses the core quite a bit. If you were listening during the ladies' semifinal, one of the commentators said one of the reasons Kim was able to control the court so well from the center of her side, and still hit to the corners, was all the core work she had done trying to get back in shape because of the babies. (And no insults, please - I'm a Serena fan.)

All tennis strokes, if generated correctly, are generated from the core (rectus abdominis and transverse muscles). Overuse injuries are more frequent in the arms, shoulders, elbows, etc. when the core is used insufficiently, or improperly. Or, put another way, if you have a lot of upper body injuries as a tennis player, you're probably not using your core enough in your rotations.

One of the reasons Roger can generate so much pace and power and still be so slim is because he has a very strong core.

So in a way it almost doesn't surprise me -- although I prayed for it to be a strain, and not a tear -- that Rafa has an injury in one of those muscles, because his swing is so hard and he generates so much spin.

David_Is_Right
09-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Problems in the rectus abdominis, that commonly known as the muscle of the chocolate, the portrait drawing in the central belt of the womb, are not easily resolved.

Oh, I understand now.

namelessone
09-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Actually, tennis uses the core quite a bit. If you were listening during the ladies' semifinal, one of the commentators said one of the reasons Kim was able to control the court so well from the center of her side, and still hit to the corners, was all the core work she had done trying to get back in shape because of the babies. (And no insults, please - I'm a Serena fan.)

All tennis strokes, if generated correctly, are generated from the core (rectus abdominis and transverse muscles). Overuse injuries are more frequent in the arms, shoulders, elbows, etc. when the core is used insufficiently, or improperly. Or, put another way, if you have a lot of upper body injuries as a tennis player, you're probably not using your core enough in your rotations.

One of the reasons Roger can generate so much pace and power and still be so slim is because he has a very strong core.

So in a way it almost doesn't surprise me -- although I prayed for it to be a strain, and not a tear -- that Rafa has an injury in one of those muscles, because his swing is so hard and he generates so much spin.

I know the core is very important in tennis,hell a strong core will help you in everyday activities so it's even more important for an athlete. But before this pain developed into a muscle tear,it started in Montreal. My question is from what? He came into Montreal rested,because he had 2 months off and I don't think he lost fitness because he said that in the second month he did recovery exercises and began to do light practice. Perhaps it's just me but it's pretty weird to have your abs hurt in the first tournament since your recovery. Perhaps he overtrained in his bid to come back stronger. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

malakas
09-16-2009, 03:45 AM
first time I hear this muscle called the chocolate muscle :confused:

Anyway..sad news for all tennis fans.I hope he realises AT LAST that he has to stay out and recover.The more he plays injured,the more time he will finaly need to recover.He should stay out and recover maybe till the WTF.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-16-2009, 03:53 AM
You have to feel bad for him at this point. This cannot be from playing too much. I am not a physician, but it's probably from exertion after a long break.

dropshot winner
09-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Doesn't Verdasco have a similiar kind of injury?

Must be something about that heavy, left handed forehand...

Fr4Nc0
09-16-2009, 04:38 AM
I dont care.... Nadal has to play till he craps his rectus abdominus on court

sureshs
09-16-2009, 05:33 AM
He has an abominable rectum due to his butt picking

rafan
09-16-2009, 05:42 AM

Sad sad comment - not very imaginative

malakas
09-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Sad sad comment - not very imaginative

yes.:neutral:
Surechs lets me down lately with his drop of trolling level..:(What's up surechs??Is smth wrong?You have a lot of competition now,it's not like the old days.The field has become stronger with the newcomers and the up and comers!!You got to raise your level now!

cknobman
09-16-2009, 06:39 AM
rectus? chocolate muscle?

You make it sound like hes having trouble with the muscles used to squeeze a turd off.

Rataplan
09-16-2009, 06:47 AM
first time I hear this muscle called the chocolate muscle

chocolate muscle?
I believe that in Spain, they don't talk about a "six pack" but a "chocolate bar".

malakas
09-16-2009, 06:55 AM
rectus? chocolate muscle?

You make it sound like hes having trouble with the muscles used to squeeze a turd off.

roflmao :mrgreen: impossible!!

sureshs
09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
yes.:neutral:
Surechs lets me down lately with his drop of trolling level..:(What's up surechs??Is smth wrong?You have a lot of competition now,it's not like the old days.The field has become stronger with the newcomers and the up and comers!!You got to raise your level now!

I don't know what you are talking about. I leave trolling to others and just focus on the issues.

jonnythan
09-16-2009, 07:05 AM
"commonly known as the muscle of the chocolate"

That's brilliant. Sorry for Nadal, I hope he recovers fully.

Gorecki
09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
rectus... of all the muscles Nadal...? serious...? how is one not going to make jokes on butt picking when you injury yourself in the rectus?....

Fr4Nc0
09-16-2009, 07:20 AM

couldve been said in a funnier way

malakas
09-16-2009, 07:26 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. I leave trolling to others and just focus on the issues.

...your issues??

You need to focus then better dear.:) You've been letting down your fans.:(

drakulie
09-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Once again, his doctor comes out and says they:

1. Need to complete a battery of tests.

2. Not sure the extent of injury.

3. based on results, he will then determine an appropriate treatment plan.

4. needs weeks of rest.

<<<I expect to see nadal on a practice court in a few days>>>

Gorecki
09-16-2009, 11:01 AM

4. needs weeks of rest.

<<<I expect to see nadal on a practice court in a few days>>>

i am bookies to bets about the next muscle to victimize Nadal in the losses of the upcoming events.:)

ps: because we all know he will be handed some tennis clinics in the indoor season and no way he loses when not 100% :twisted:

TennezSport
09-16-2009, 11:29 AM
This type of injury is actually very easy to get when you are stretched out too far on your forehand side and you try to hit too hard, especially with the way Rafa swings up and over his head on the follow thru. With the type of game Rafa plays he will get more and more of these injuries as he gets older. Agassi said this would happen and he was 100% correct.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Federer_pilon
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM

4. needs weeks of rest.

Do you see anything wrong with that? Isn't that the regular procedure for someone who is injured?

Of course he's faking his injury again so he can clear his system of the steroids he's been taking. -.-

Gemini
09-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I think I (and a lot of other people) stated that Nadal's style of play is so physical that eventually his body's going to start breaking down. I think this along with his knees are perfect examples. I can't see Nadal having longevity if his injuries are becoming more and more serious and recurring often.

drakulie
09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Do you see anything wrong with that? Isn't that the regular procedure for someone who is injured?

Yes, unfortunately, this didn't happen when Nadal withdrew from Wimbedon, as evidenced by the fact he was on a pratice court a few days later.

feetofclay
09-16-2009, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=drakulie;3948467]Yes, unfortunately, this didn't happen when Nadal withdrew from Wimbedon, as evidenced by the fact he was on a pratice court a few days later.[/QUOTE

You sound like broken record. Play us another tune.