PDA

View Full Version : Great news for tennis fans

socal29
09-15-2009, 03:39 PM
1. Federer's era of dominance is over. Now he is the world's best player on one surface only: grass. Nadal is better on clay and Del Potro is at least his equal (probably better) on hard. Del Potro will slice Federer's rate of grand slam victories in half.

2. The women's game is becoming interesting. In Clijsters we finally have someone who is not intimidated by S. Williams and has both the game and mental fortitude to beat her. If she can play like THAT, she is simply a better player than Serena. Furthermore, I think she will inspire confidence in some of the other ladies as well. And Henin coming back? Awesome. As with Federer, I think Serena's rate of grand slam victories will drop substantially.

Exciting developments for fans of the game.

All-rounder
09-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Lol Federer's domincance has been over since 2008 where have you been all these years

fruitytennis1
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Lol Federer's domincance has been over since 2008 where have you been all these years

You just got told!!!!

InvisibleSoul
09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Del Potro is at least his equal (probably better) on hard.
Taking one victory doesn't mean all of a sudden he is his equal or better.

For all you know, if they played another ten matches on hard courts, Federer might win 7 or 8 of them.

フェデラー
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
stupid thread is incredibly asinine. if you didnt like watching fed play, you dont play tennis yourself, or not a *********, but just (re)tarded.

The-Champ
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
1. Federer's era of dominance is over. Now he is the world's best player on one surface only: grass. Nadal is better on clay and Del Potro is at least his equal (probably better) on hard. Del Potro will slice Federer's rate of grand slam victories in half.

that's what we said about Djokovic last year after the AO.

trix123
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Taking one victory doesn't mean all of a sudden he is his equal or better.

For all you know, if they played another ten matches on hard courts, Federer might win 7 or 8 of them.

Very well said

stormholloway
09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
People talked about Hewitt dominating tennis, even though he only won 2 majors in 2 years. Federer is still dominating, even more than Sampras ever did, who was considered a dominant player.

Fed just set such a high standard of what dominance is that it seems like he isn't dominant anymore.

imalil2gangsta4u
09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Yet serena is 7-2 against Clijsters

TheFifthSet
09-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Now hey look, I know you're talking about CURRENT form.

But still no. Before mythologizing this victory, remember just how close it was. You would've gotten stuffed with laughter if you had said this before the tournament. And it's not as if THAT MUCH has changed game-wise for Del Po since then. Del Potro had a great two weeks in which he put it all together. But it's way too early to speak confidently on whether or not he is even Federer's equal on HC. Too early.

Although he's at least top 3 right now . . . . along with Fed and Rafa. Murray, nah.

_maxi
09-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Fed has won this year, 2 slams, 2 masters 1000, reached the final in the other slams, plus he is number one in the world, and HE IS DOMINATING. Just tell me the player that is above Federer and then we can discuss.

Andy G
09-15-2009, 05:26 PM

2. The women's game is becoming interesting. In Clijsters we finally have someone who is not intimidated by S. Williams and has both the game and mental fortitude to beat her. If she can play like THAT, she is simply a better player than Serena. Furthermore, I think she will inspire confidence in some of the other ladies as well. And Henin coming back? Awesome. As with Federer, I think Serena's rate of grand slam victories will drop substantially.

Yeah!! He's done!! Who else made all 4 slam finals this year?? Oh, that was Fed. Wait, who won the most slams this year? Oh, Federer. But, who's the guy with 7 straight final appearances and 17 of the last 18?? Hmm, thats Fed too. Wow, he's all washed up.

JRad
09-15-2009, 05:34 PM
"Del Potro will slice Federer's rate of grand slam victories in half"

If this turns out to be true, going from winning 2 or 3 Majoors per year to only winning 1 or 2 is still outstanding. What will be his final total? 16? 18? 20?

Of course Federer will win fewer titles from now on. Sampras (admittedly an earlier bloomer) won only three Grande Slam titles after turning 27 (a total Federer has matched). Connors won only three after turning 26 and MacEnroe won his last of seven at 25. When Sampras was "dominant" he never won more than two in one year and only made three finals in one year. With the exception of last year, Fed has won at least 2/year since 04.

The good news is that there is strong group of younger players pushing each to play better tennis. Just as Agassi and Nadal challenged Sampras and Federer, Del Potro, Murray, Djokovic, etc. will be there challenge Nadal. . .

prattle128
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM

For #1, based on the evidence available, you are completely wrong. As others have pointed out, he made the finals in all slams this year, winning 2 of them, certainly had a good chance to win the calendar slam if he would have stepped up in the 5th set in both of his hard court grand slam finals. Del Potro has definitely established himself this year as someone who will be right up there competing for majors, but the thing is that he will always be meeting a guy named Roger Federer in those semifinals and finals (as far as history is concerned). Del Potro is a great player, but he has beaten Federer once, in a match where Federer's play was rather spotty (his serve and break point conversion rate give evidence of this).

For #2, I agree with you quite a bit more. Clijsters is a woman who has had success before, and with the current state of the woman's game, she will definitely help bring some more stability, or so I hope. With the possible return of Justine Henin as well (as far as I know, this isn't 100% for sure, correct me if I'm wring), things are improving here quite a bit. Clijsters is in my mind #1 or #2 in the world at the moment, or at least that is where she should be. I think Serena might win in the majors a little bit less (I feel the same way about Federer), but both of them at the moment, especially Federer, are the dominant forces in the ATP and WTA.

flying24
09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Yet serena is 7-2 against Clijsters

If Serena doesnt start practicing like she did from 1999-2003 and if Kim keeps up or builds (most likely builds since it was only her 3rd tournament in nearly 3 years) on her current form that head to head is going to close awfully fast.

Brawndo
09-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Stupid thread is stupid.

SempreSami
09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I'd hardly say his dominance is over, in a year where people had written him off at the start, he's completed the career grand slam and become the leading winner of grand slam tournaments. Sure, the only tournament he's probably a dead cert to win these days is Basel, he's still the player you're most likely to see in the final at any of the four majors, the only tournaments to matter to most people.

Omega_7000
09-15-2009, 06:48 PM
People talked about Hewitt dominating tennis, even though he only won 2 majors in 2 years. Federer is still dominating, even more than Sampras ever did, who was considered a dominant player.

Fed just set such a high standard of what dominance is that it seems like he isn't dominant anymore.

Exactly !

gpt
09-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Mate, Federer played Del Po 8 months ago at the AO.
Federer won 6-3 6-0 6-0.

Cup8489
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Mate, Federer played Del Po 8 months ago at the AO.
Federer won 6-3 6-0 6-0.

give it a few weeks, and then when he's beaten delpo at TMC badly, we'll resurrect this thread.

prince
09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
this swiss guy federer - his dominance is over - he only won 2 slams this year . he has a title drought .

borg number one
09-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Federer was clearly outplayed by Nadal at the Australian Open, even though his game hit an extremely high level through thr fourth set. Nadal in effect, "caught up" to Federer in terms of his possible level of play during that match, but injuries hurt his year badly. Then, yes, Federer took advantage of Nadal's exit and an amazing draw for him at the French, which is something he is likely to never repeat. I think he deserved the Wimbledon title, especially since Nadal was sidelined. He was the best player at that tournament, but I put an asterisk next to that one for him (what would people have said if McEnroe didn't play the 81 Wimbledon and Borg had won his 6th in a row for example?). The fact that he lost in the final to a quickly improving Del Potro is no surprise. He is in effect, now 1 of the very best players in the World (don't think career, think now and the coming year, because the tennis scene at the very top constantly evolves). A healthy Nadal will likely be waiting for him at the Australian, among an improving group of about 5 players. Then, he is unlikely to win the French, which could spell trouble for the remainder of Federer's career, in the sense that he will have to accept that he may AT THE MOST win a couple of more SLAMS, which may be really pushing it. I still predict that Nadal will solve some of his injury questions enough, through adjustments, to take over #1 gradually from Federer. Federer has had a great period of dominance during a time when his competition at the very top has not been stellar (relative to some other time periods, such as when Borg, McEnroe, and Connors fought each other). He has also had superb longevity. Yet, all good things must come to an end, and the question is when? I think that the transition at the very top was only delayed this year because of some of the strange things that happened to Nadal this year. I don't think we should just assume that he is "done" as a future #1, and immediately put Del Potro in his place. Nadal and Djokovic will continue to be huge threats. I don't have as much confidence in the long term prospects for either Murray, or a aging Roddick, who may have seen his best chances pass him by, as he lost so much to a surging Federer as he was getting to the top. I agree with this thread that having several excellent players at the top is very good for the men's game, with Nadal and Federer still at the top, and yes, I also welcome the return of Clijsters, who has a great game to go along with a great attitude/personality, to the women's tour.

OTMPut
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
^^^
Heard of tautology?
Look it up in wiki.

OTMPut
09-15-2009, 10:28 PM
JMDP is 1.5 tennis generations younger than Federer. Do not overreact to current match results.

Fed still owns him in H2H FYI.

luv2volley
09-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Federer was clearly outplayed by Nadal at the Australian Open, even though his game hit an extremely high level through thr fourth set. Nadal in effect, "caught up" to Federer in terms of his possible level of play during that match, but injuries hurt his year badly. Then, yes, Federer took advantage of Nadal's exit and an amazing draw for him at the French, which is something he is likely to never repeat. I think he deserved the Wimbledon title, especially since Nadal was sidelined. He was the best player at that tournament, but I put an asterisk next to that one for him (what would people have said if McEnroe didn't play the 81 Wimbledon and Borg had won his 6th in a row for example?). The fact that he lost in the final to a quickly improving Del Potro is no surprise. He is in effect, now 1 of the very best players in the World (don't think career, think now and the coming year, because the tennis scene at the very top constantly evolves). A healthy Nadal will likely be waiting for him at the Australian, among an improving group of about 5 players. Then, he is unlikely to win the French, which could spell trouble for the remainder of Federer's career, in the sense that he will have to accept that he may AT THE MOST win a couple of more SLAMS, which may be really pushing it. I still predict that Nadal will solve some of his injury questions enough, through adjustments, to take over #1 gradually from Federer. Federer has had a great period of dominance during a time when his competition at the very top has not been stellar (relative to some other time periods, such as when Borg, McEnroe, and Connors fought each other). He has also had superb longevity. Yet, all good things must come to an end, and the question is when? I think that the transition at the very top was only delayed this year because of some of the strange things that happened to Nadal this year. I don't think we should just assume that he is "done" as a future #1, and immediately put Del Potro in his place. Nadal and Djokovic will continue to be huge threats. I don't have as much confidence in the long term prospects for either Murray, or a aging Roddick, who may have seen his best chances pass him by, as he lost so much to a surging Federer as he was getting to the top. I agree with this thread that having several excellent players at the top is very good for the men's game, with Nadal and Federer still at the top, and yes, I also welcome the return of Clijsters, who has a great game to go along with a great attitude/personality, to the women's tour.

Well said.

borg number one
09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
OTMPut-Tautology? You mean "a technical notion in formal logic, universal unconditioned truth, always valid" right? lol..Thank you if you were referring to my previous post. Quick answer to this thread is that Federer in my opinion will never dominate the way he once did, because of many reasons. Yet, he is a great player, who is as accomplished as anyone in tennis history, but not the hands down greatest of all time, an analysis which always tends to be skewed towards the modern/current.

DarthMaul
09-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Federer will have his revenge over Delpotro. Their next meeting would be interesting. Fed will want to bagel Delpo in retaliation. Will he succeed?

ArrowSmith
09-15-2009, 10:48 PM
give it a few weeks, and then when he's beaten delpo at TMC badly, we'll resurrect this thread.

Nonsense. Djokovic will win the TMC.