PDA

View Full Version : Who's better: Federer or Del Potro? Can Del Potro be the GOAT?

socal29
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Del Potro is better than Federer was at his age. In fact, he is at least as good as Federer is now. If DP's joints and body hold up, one cannot help but wonder if Federer's record is in jeopardy.

By the way, I would say Del Potro is the better player because he won yesterday and doesn't mishit every second ball. It's absolutely crazy how often Federer misses badly these days.

FlamEnemY
09-15-2009, 03:49 PM
This thread was bound to happen...

That's a really, really, REAAAALLY long shot to say Delpo is a potential 'GOAT' (d@mn, I get sick just by typing this meaningless term) or something. The world is filled with potential 'GOAT' players and in the end there's a handful of guys who get there.

Besides, Nadal also achieved more at this age. More than Delpo. Is Nadal a possible 'GOAT' contender? He's among the greats, but not among the most elite.

trix123
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say

DarthFed
09-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Didn't Nadal get his first slam at like 18 or 19? even younger than DP...it happens don't put too much into one patch..though Del Po thinks Roger is the GOAT and aspires to be like him.

mad_dr
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
For christ's sake. So a guy plays for 10-ish years, wins 15 slams (plus cincinnatti, the 'real' slam :P), dominates a sport, blows apart a huge amount of records, gets awarded (by some) the goat, but as soon as he loses the goat passes on? Are we playing tag? God help us Fed actually gets old and really starts going down.

Sorry for the rant, but it's getting on my nerves.

Cheers!
Mad

tvp900
09-15-2009, 07:23 PM
This thread was bound to happen...

That's a really, really, REAAAALLY long shot to say Delpo is a potential 'GOAT' (d@mn, I get sick just by typing this meaningless term) or something. The world is filled with potential 'GOAT' players and in the end there's a handful of guys who get there.

Besides, Nadal also achieved more at this age. More than Delpo. Is Nadal a possible 'GOAT' contender? He's among the greats, but not among the most elite.

Totally agree. EVERY time someone beats Federer they seem to automatically become the next GOAT. Tsonga beat him a few weeks ago, I guess he's the next GOAT. Hewitt took a set off him, so he's due for another slam or two. lol

malakas
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
yes.No comparison.Without doubt the 1slam winner Delpo is better than Federer.

saram
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Del Potro is better than Federer was at his age. In fact, he is at least as good as Federer is now. If DP's joints and body hold up, one cannot help but wonder if Federer's record is in jeopardy.

By the way, I would say Del Potro is the better player because he won yesterday and doesn't mishit every second ball. It's absolutely crazy how often Federer misses badly these days.

Read your post.

Go re-live the last five years in tennis.

Come back and post again.

'nuff said.

grafselesfan
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Typical TW nonsense. Win one slam and now you are the next GOAT.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
09-15-2009, 07:47 PM
^^^^^^
Agreed, Del Potro has an excellent future ahead of him, but there are still come questions to be answered in terms of his conditioning. He has grown leaps and bounds in that department, but he is still learning. Then again, when somebody beats any of the top 4 they are thrown into the GOAT pot *sigh*

dwhiteside
09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
That's funny. Good thread.

tata
09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Hewitt was number 1 and won wimbledon at a younger age than federer. Look at where hewitt is compared to federer now. Dont always assume things to be constant. Sure potro can win more slams but at the same time he may never win another. Murray > Federer in their H2H and he has 0 slams. Roddick won a US open but never won another slam after.
And seriously....potro as good as fed is now?

dropshot winner
09-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Not a day passes without someone taking bandwagoning to new heights.

sh@de
09-16-2009, 02:22 AM
... isn't it a bit too early to say -_____________________-"

when Roddick won the USO in 2003, do you think he was on track to becoming the GOAT?

P_Agony
09-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Unblievable. You beat Fed once, in a tight five setter no less, and you become the GOAT. LOL.

David L
09-16-2009, 02:44 AM

Duh, isn't it obvious? Federer is better. Look at their performances over the years.

Can Del Potro become GOAT? Theoretically, he can, but so can Donald Young or any other player you care to mention. Does it look like he will? No.

One match doth not a career make.

PCXL-Fan
09-16-2009, 02:48 AM

Michael Chang and Boris Becker were better than Federer relative to their field at their age, so they are GOATs.

Roddick must be goat, because roddick won his first title at a younger age then federer.

babbette
09-16-2009, 02:52 AM
can people stop having orgasms whenever a player achieves something! I believe this is the same kind of orgasm that happened when Djokovic won AO and when Murray seemed to win all masters in sight. Give some time after a win to see if the player can be consistent before you label them.

federerdomination
09-16-2009, 02:55 AM
1 > 15? huh?

David L
09-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Michael Chang and Boris Becker were better than Federer relative to their field at their age, so they are GOATs.

Roddick must be goat, because roddick won his first title at a younger age then federer.
Also include these first time Slam winners at their respective ages: Wilander 17, Borg 18, Sampras 19, Edberg 19, Nadal 19, Hewitt 20, McEnrore 20, Safin 20, Kuerten 20 and Courier 20.

http://www.tennis28.com/slams/agerecords_winners.html

FlamEnemY
09-16-2009, 03:16 AM
can people stop having orgasms whenever a player achieves something! I believe this is the same kind of orgasm that happened when Djokovic won AO and when Murray seemed to win all masters in sight. Give some time after a win to see if the player can be consistent before you label them.

I thought it was you who said during the match that Delpo makes you horny ;)

malakas
09-16-2009, 03:36 AM
I thought it was you who said during the match that Delpo makes you horny ;)

yes,what's wrong with this girl?!?!I start to wonder..:/

FlamEnemY
09-16-2009, 04:05 AM
^^ Come on, JMDP isn't that bad. ;)

malakas
09-16-2009, 04:06 AM
lol :mrgreen: ..I like Fed and Baggy..so no comment!

PCXL-Fan
09-16-2009, 09:51 AM

Indeed. I couldn't agree more.

But you must allow a certain percentage of men to have their orgasm if Wozniaki ever gets her first grandslam. Much the same way many women get theirs each time Rafael Nadal and Johnny Depp win grand slams.

nadal
09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
too early to say this hewitt was better than federer when both were 20 and won grandslam before him and was number 1 on the world also same thing for safin but now see the difference

danb
09-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to say

+1 here - give JMDP about 5 more years than we see ...

malakas
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Indeed. I couldn't agree more.

But you must allow a certain percentage of men to have their orgasm if Wozniaki ever gets her first grandslam. Much the same way many women get theirs each time Rafael Nadal and Johnny Depp win grand slams.

Johny Depp Def Marat Safin in USO final.............................

thank you pxl-fan for oppening a whole new world of imagination for us!!!!

PCXL-Fan
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Also include these first time Slam winners at their respective ages: Wilander 17, Borg 18, Sampras 19, Edberg 19, Nadal 19, Hewitt 20, McEnrore 20, Safin 20, Kuerten 20 and Courier 20.

http://www.tennis28.com/slams/agerecords_winners.html

yeah i know but it was like 3 am in the morning and i didn't want to dig them all up, i just wanted to get my point across.

PCXL-Fan
09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Johny Depp Def Marat Safin in USO final.............................

thank you pxl-fan for oppening a whole new world of imagination for us!!!!

No problem.

What I would like to imagine though is a Kirkilenko + 18-20 yr old Kournikova vs 18-20yr old Sharapova + Cristea doubles beach bikini final.

Cyan
09-16-2009, 02:27 PM

These jinxing threads blow. Remember the "Will murray be the GOAT" thread? :oops:

rich01
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Federer may never be surpassed. I think he'll retire with 18/19 slams and over 80 career titles.

Tony48
09-16-2009, 02:32 PM
This thread is the GOAT

trenzterra
09-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Well I'll get back to you 8 years down the road, eh

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Threads like these should be deleted.

Andres
09-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Johnny Depp is the GOAT.