PDA

View Full Version : Federer: Del Potro Simply OutHit Him.

Conquistador
09-15-2009, 07:42 PM
As you all know i am a huge roger federer fan. That being said i saw some big forehands from del potro. Ive never seen roger play that far by the baseline. Its simply a matter of del potro hitting it harder and flatter. I feel that roger played with a little too much topspin that match and simply did not hit it as hard as he can. It was simply that del potro pushed federer back vertically not horizontally. Del potro forced federer to make errors by hitting it long, but thats what happens when you hit it deeper. Credit to del potro--he outhit federer.

grafselesfan
09-15-2009, 07:44 PM
You are right. Something your mancrush Gonzalez would never manage to do especialy in a slam final. Next.

Conquistador
09-15-2009, 07:47 PM
You are right. Something your mancrush Gonzalez would never manage to do especialy in a slam final. Next.

Gonzalez is the biggest power hitter probally of all time. Hes just not a skilled shotmaker. Everyone thought tsonga had a bigger power game than gonzalez. But gonzalez showed that he has the bigger forehand and backhand. Even Nadal saw the effects of the gonzalez forehand. Gonzalez might never be a grand slam champion but he can really rip the cover off the ball.

kimbahpnam
09-15-2009, 08:11 PM
i agree with that statement. i think fed got outhit too. i've never seen him so off balance by power shots. he's been off balance by nadal's spin, but pace hasn't never made him wrong footed so much.

egn
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
It was amazing how hard Del Potro was hitting. Consistently hitting 100+ mph winners off that forehand. Del Potro had this amazing will to win, very impressive.

navratilovafan
09-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Federer really should have converted on his chances to break for a 2nd break at 3-1 in the 2nd set, and also should have been more focused serving for it at 5-4. Not to take anything away from Del Potro but Federer was a victim of his complacency in the 2nd set as he could have sealed the deal. Once Del Potro got his teeth into the match he began hitting harder and harder, more cleanly, more confident, and more determination to come back, and Federer became increasingly tenative and passive, while his serving woes only escalated. Then again early in the 4th set Federer had more break chances and an opportunity to put the hammer down and seemed overly relaxed again. It is like he didnt really believe Del Potro could win the match until it was too late to hold off Del Potro's surge halfway through the 4th set or so.

Fedace
09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
but then what happened to that change of pace tactic ? Federer never tried to outhit Delpo in the past. he tried to change pace with slice and topspin and angles and so on and also tried to bring him to net. Out hitting Delpo was never the plan....

myservenow
09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
With all due credit to Del Potro's win (and I really mean that), if Federer had simply taken care of his business in the second set by converting one of the multiple break points to go up 2 breaks, I think Del Potro would have folded and we would be talking about Federer's 16th slam title right now.

My point is I think the match would have been over before Del Potro found his groove. Del Potro would have been overwhelmed by the fact Federer was up two sets on him. Alas, Federer failed to take care of business and Del Potro found his groove.

Once Del Potro found it, there was little question in my mind that he was about to take the match over. I am a Federer fan but fully understood that Federer was getting outhit. Strange to see for sure but that it the undeniable truth of what happened. Federer had no answer, no serve, and no chance of winning the match short of a Del Potro collapse. In the end, Federer could not even hold serve to put a s-load of pressure on DP to serve out the match. That scenario would have been very interesting to see.

Major props to Del Potro. Even as a Fed fan, I wasn't too disappointed with DP's win. He deserved it.

Mick
09-15-2009, 08:57 PM
and all the tennis pundits (agassi included) thought the next grand slam winner would be andy murray :)

Conquistador
09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
The big hitters are really becoming the cream of the crop. Look at the 8 quarterfinalists and they all basically are the hardest hitters in the world.

Mick
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
The big hitters are really becoming the cream of the crop. Look at the 8 quarterfinalists and they all basically are the hardest hitters in the world.

and the finalist and champion were the ones who had the least unforced errors with that style of play.

urban
09-15-2009, 09:07 PM
It seemed to me, that Federer went too much to Delpos forehand, even on serves. And in the last two sets, those halfhearted returns down the middle onto the T-line set up Delpos blistering forehand way too much. Federer had a great chance to close it out at 5-4 30-15 in the fourth (after Delpo had some big misses), but returned rather tamely.

dParis
09-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Is Nadal one of the 8 hardest hitters in the world?

roysid
09-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Well said all of you. It would have been the hardest lost to digest for Federer.

Wimbledon 2008 - He played to his best. The other guy was better.
AO 2008 - He missed some chances there.

But here he blew it up. I simply can't believe when he lost that 2nd set. Though his serve wasn't working his slices was driving DelPo to crazy.

But keeping things in perspective, he has achieved all. So losing this one is OK.
In French Open thrice he came back from dead and won it. One of the victims was DelPotro who should have won that match in straight sets. So i guess it's fair deal then. The French completed the set. US Open 5 or 6 doesn't make much difference.