PDA

View Full Version : Winning First Slam Final v. Losing First Slam Final

Cindysphinx
09-16-2009, 03:39 AM
I was idly wondering whether winning one's first slam final versus losing one's first slam final tends to suggest that a player will win more slams in the future.

Del Potro, of course, counts as a player who won his first slam final. Others are Roddick, S. Williams, Federer and Nadal.

Current players who have lost their first slam final are Murray, Gonzalez, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Tsonga, V. Williams.

Who am I missing? Is there any relationship?

GasquetGOAT
09-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Thomas Johansson and Gaston Gaudio both won their first slam final. Never reached another final in their career.

David Nalbandian lost his first slam final and is enjoying life eating, rallying and flying...

Max G.
09-16-2009, 04:48 AM
Winning is usually better then losing. First slam final is no exception.

crazylevity
09-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Players who won their first slam final: Sampras, Federer, Nadal...

nfor304
09-16-2009, 04:56 AM
The trend would appear that winning your first slam final is a good omen for your career.

Sampras, Hewitt, Federer, Nadal, Becker, Wilander, Kuerten, are examples of players who won their first and went on to greatness.

Agassi and Lendl are the only recent 2 I can think of who went on to become great after losing.

But then the list of players who won their first slam final and never went anywhere is also huge, mostly because every tournament has to have a winner, and sometimes none of the big players in the era for whatever reason are able to win a tournament at that particular point in time.

crazylevity
09-16-2009, 05:25 AM
The trend would appear that winning your first slam final is a good omen for your career.

Sampras, Hewitt, Federer, Nadal, Becker, Wilander, Kuerten, are examples of players who won their first and went on to greatness.

Agassi and Lendl are the only recent 2 I can think of who went on to become great after losing.

But then the list of players who won their first slam final and never went anywhere is also huge, mostly because every tournament has to have a winner, and sometimes none of the big players in the era for whatever reason are able to win a tournament at that particular point in time.

That would be the one-slam wonder list: Johansson, Gaudio, et al

Spider
09-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Johansson, Gaudio, etc. won their first slam and never won anything else. Del Potro, most likely, will join this list too.

crazylevity
09-16-2009, 05:58 AM
^^ And Murray will join the likes of Nalbandian and Rios?