PDA

View Full Version : Federer/Roddick... Wedding Bands

Superman1272
09-16-2009, 08:40 AM
I have not noticed or really looked all too hard but, since their recent marriages, do either Federer or Roddick wear a wedding band while playing? What about other players (ATP or WTA)?

I only ask because I am getting married on Saturday and was curious as to what the pros do... I am pretty sure I will not be taking mine off for playing tennis as I play right handed and do not hit a TH backhand. I will probably take it off for weight lifting and the such, but not for tennis.

What about YOU? Do any of y'all take off a wedding band for tennis?

malakas
09-16-2009, 08:44 AM
I didn't see them wearing either.

angharad
09-16-2009, 08:48 AM
I think Federer has said that he's not used to wearing one while playing, so he doesn't wear it on-court.

Some players (I think Hewitt's one of them) put it on a necklace to wear while playing.

TourTenor
09-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Whoa ... This is big news. I thought they were married to others?:wink: What about the twins? Ahhh, well, I hope they are very happy.

Response to OP - Congratulations on the big step and no, I don't wear my wedding ring when I play.

BigServer1
09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't wear mine either, I just think it's easier that way.

jrod
09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I've been married for 20+ years and have never worn a wedding band or any ring for that matter. In fact, I can't even remember if I have one, let alone how long I've been married....

vandre
09-16-2009, 09:11 AM
yeah, i've not seen them playing with there wedding bands on.

as for yours goes, be careful with it. mine has been beat up in the nine plus years because i always keep in on (even while moving speaker cabs and other heavy objects). definately take it off for weightlifting! they don't take much abuse. and there's nothing like mangling the "symbol of your undying love"!

sureshs
09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I've been married for 20+ years and have never worn a wedding band or any ring for that matter. In fact, I can't even remember if I have one, let alone how long I've been married....

17 years here. Lost my wedding ring in the toilet 2 years after marriage. We had guests at that time, and that toilet was used many, many times. Then after a week, the ring was found - right at the very bottom of the bowl, undisturbed by all the water which had flushed above it! From then on, my wife made me stop wearing it.

MAX PLY
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
My wife had a blacksmith at our wedding to put it on my finger. Hasn't been off since. :)

coolhandluke
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
It seems that the younger players don't wear them maybe because of the
2hb. i remember the older players used to wear them alot (ie ashe, smith, lutz, reissen etc.

Fee
09-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I wore mine for a while when playing, then realized it was tearing up my tournagrip so I had to take it off. I've seen Roddick playing with and without his. I think Travis Parrott plays with his on. I think I've seen Mark Knowles practice with his on, but don't remember if he plays with it.

ChipNCharge
09-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I have not noticed or really looked all too hard but, since their recent marriages, do either Federer or Roddick wear a wedding band while playing? What about other players (ATP or WTA)?

I only ask because I am getting married on Saturday and was curious as to what the pros do... I am pretty sure I will not be taking mine off for playing tennis as I play right handed and do not hit a TH backhand. I will probably take it off for weight lifting and the such, but not for tennis.

What about YOU? Do any of y'all take off a wedding band for tennis?

I noticed Kim Clijsters and her husband both have tattoos around their ring fingers, instead of actually wearing wedding rings. Maybe you and your spouse could just do that. Problem solved!!

Superman1272
09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I noticed Kim Clijsters and her husband both have tattoos around their ring fingers, instead of actually wearing wedding rings. Maybe you and your spouse could just do that. Problem solved!!

We were actually thinking of getting tattoos to celebrate the wedding... never thought about the ring finger. good idea.

I am kinda worried about wearing it when I play because I rest the throat of the racquet in my left hand when I bring it back... The ring is made of tungsten carbide and the jeweler said it can actually SHATTER if it is struck against ceramic tile!!!!

I wonder what would happen with Karophite Black?!?! :-)

tennisnj
09-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I just got married a month ago & while I've finally gotten used to wearing a ring, I definately won't be wearing it much longer on my finger while playing tennis. I think about it all the time when I'm playing & realize it impedes me just a bit on my left handed strokes. Now comes the issue of putting it somewhere I won't lose it.

dParis
09-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I move it to my left hand when playing and back to the right when finished. One handed back hand so no problem there. I know it's a real problem for some people to remove their rings or get them back on their finger.

jimwh
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I always play with my ring on, but I never take it off. I am very proud to be married to my wife. I am right handed though.