PDA

View Full Version : Pre-semi final Nadal Interview - mentions injury and divorce of his parents

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.nadalnews.com/2009/09/15/pre-semi-final-interview/

Part I

How do you feel: mind, body and limbs?
The mind, better than ever, with maximum illusion [sic] after being off for a time. Physically, well. Apart from the abdominal, the knees have not been a problem since Iíve been back. And that is always important when one is coming from an injury like the one Iíve had. It gives you confidence. All the work done has been productive.

What are you wearing to protect your abdomen?

Iím wearing a cummerbund, but wellÖ I have what I have. I rather not talk about injuries in the middle of a tournament. When I finish Iíll say what I have and the reasons for not going to the Davis Cup, much to my regret.

Why donít you want to talk about it?

When you talk about it you think more about the injuries than about playing. Everyone have problems, and it seems mine are named too much. Sometimes you are playing and are afraid of asking for the trainer. If Iím going to play the next day with options of winning, I donít want everybody knowing something is wrong with my abs. I understand your job, but you must understand mine, which is to be my possible best every day. Itís not positive that the next day the headlines say I have an abdominal tear.

Gonzalez and Monfils have almost put in doubt your injury.

Itís a normal reaction when you lose and youíre being told the other one is injured. I donít want to say if Iím alright or not for that reason too, because is not nice for the rival. Iíve been two months out of competition, two months waiting at home and Iím back playing two Masters Series, not on clay at Bastad. My body is not ready to compete with the best 50 in the world. Iíve had this muscle overload that probably has become a tear. When you are playing at the US Open, naturally itís not going to get smaller. If I feel I can try and compete the next day, I donít want to talk about it. Today I felt better, but the other day with Gonzalez, before the suspension, I felt bad, serving at 96 miles. But sport is overcoming, not only playing when at your best, but to do what you can even knowing you are not going to win. Itís overcoming yourself, not only the rival.

What did you do on such a long day as was Friday, without playing?

I was in the playersí lounge, in the locker room, I watched, for a while, the games already played with Gonzalez, what I did better and worst.

Did it remind you to your experience two years ago, at Wimbledon, with Soderling?

No, that was much worst. Last year, right here, my match with Murray had to be suspended. Simply you have to be patience, to be calmed and trying to do everything in a normal way.

Do you feel specially appreciated here?

Truth is they always have been good to me. There are also many Latinos. Itís a different tournament than Wimbledon and Roland Garros. There is more show around.

What do you think is the reason for such fascination?

Iíve always been correct on the court. Iíve never had bad gestures to anyone.

Maybe you remind them to Jimmy Connors because of your temperament?

Itís different. Connors got ****ed much more than me. Iíve only seen some of his points in the locker room. Sometimes Iíve been compared to him though.

What things do you have time for here?

Iíve seen the musical ďMamma MiaĒ, and the ďPhantom of the operaĒ for sixth time. Iíve been cycling in Central Park, and another day in the Fifth Avenue. This year Iíve not been to Ground Zero, Iíll go back when they have the new project.

In which way Del Potro is better than you, apart from his height?

In the service too. In everything else, it depends of the day. If I play to my best level I have options of winning. I have to try to get him moving, to tire him, donít let him play comfortable, I have to do different things. And see if the abdominal is alright so I can go to the match with guarantees and get much more than what Iíve gotten.

Gasquet has thank you publicly for your support after being suspended for doping. There are not a lot of gestures of solidarity in the circuit.

One should never forget this is a game. Winning at any price is useless for me. Iíve had only two problems with players in my life: one with Berdych in Madrid and one with Soderling in Wimbledon. Truth is with Berdych I went overboard and shouldnít have said what I said, even though he didnít behave like he should. Thatís the past. We were even going to play doubles last year in Bangkok, but at the end I didnít go. Iíve practiced with him many times and we have a good relationship. I cannot say the same about Soderling. Iíve tried to say hello, but he goes about his business and is the only one I have no relationship with in the circuit. I know Gasquet since I was 12. I spoke with him after what happened in Miami. He had been not playing well for a while and the pressure was overcoming him, I asked him what happened. He said: ďIím like you and would never in my life take thatĒ. Iíve always believed in the playersí good faith. Nowadays whoever wants to go for you can break your career.

How?

Any way. You are in the locker room, someone puts something in your glass and leave you totally K.O. and itís not your fault. Thatís the reality. You have to be always alert and itís not nice.

Is it easy to be a role model?

Yes, because I donít consider myself a model. I always behave absolutely normal.

What have you learn in all this time away from work and with difficult personal circumstances?

Iíve always been strong and I know that there are moments in life when not everything goes well for you. When you are injured at one of the most important moments of the year, you feel really bad. When your parents get divorced, naturally is an important change in your life and itís normal to feel bad. You have to accept that feeling and from there to be positive. At the end of the day life goes on, and luckily time fix everything. I cannot consider myself unfortunate in any way for being injured or my parents getting divorce. The reality is that Iím 23, Iíve been able to work doing what I like, playing tennis, my job is my hobby and, on top of that, Iím successful doing what I do. Simply for this I have to feel lucky.

Growing up so fast maybe has help you to toughen up?

Yes, maybe in the way that you learn to be alone, to live with yourself.

How do you see the world from up there? People like you probably see the actual [economic] crisis like something far away.

No, not that far. You have the money in the bank, an inversion somewhere. That it affects me in a different way, is possible. But if you donít suffer, someone close to you does. At the end you always have friends without jobs, relatives suffering in their companies. You are not detached from life. Lot of people cannot pay their mortgages. And personally Iíve lost exhibitions to play, some tournaments have lowered their prizes, events that has been suspended. Of course it bothers me. Iíve talked to business people and they hope it will get better soon. Itís not nice to see the people around you having a hard time.

All your closer relationships come from your childhood or adolescence, your girlfriend, friends, your uncle as your coach. Is it then when the most solid ties are build, when you still were not that important?

Iím not very important, I can assure you. I have lots of friends since Iím a professional player, but I keep my all time group of friends since I was six years old, from the school, six, seven or eight friends I always go for dinner with around Mallorca, they are my lifelong friends, the ones Iím going to have always. Carlos Moya is a close friend, even if Iíve met him later in my life.

It is to your credit, because you have not become arrogant.

Donít think so. I think it has more to do with the Mallorcan society. The fact of living in a small town like Manacor makes you have an easier relationship with your family and friends. When you are in a city, there is more stress to see a friend. Me, in five minutes walking can meet one of my friends. Everything is easier. In a couple of hours you can organize a dinner with your friends. This is much more difficult in a big city.

You could have moved to other city or other country.

Iím happy where I am, being Spanish and being Mallorcan. Every time I go back to Mallorca Iím happy.

And you pay taxes in your country, something not very usual among tennis players.

Well, every one do it as they can or as is better for them. Iím not the one that take care of those things. I suppose the people who does have considered the best thing is to keep paying the taxes here.

Are you surprised about the relevance your uncle Toni has acquired?. In some way he has become almost a guru.

He is a very critical person and always makes you keep your feet on the ground and offers you a point of view different to othersí. He makes you think things more than once and restrain your impulses. He has always had something different, he says things different to what most people say.. Iím where I am thanks to him, and the fact that Iím who I am also makes people to expect more from him.

He says you prefer a criticism to a praise.

Iím quite demanding with myself, sometimes even more than him. From very young he has taken me down a peg many times, and that makes you think you are less than you really are.

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Maybe itís the best way to improve.

It has the positive part and the negative one. Positive because you always respect your rivals, it makes you work. The negative part is sometimes you think you are worse than you are and makes you feel not confident when competing. That is because itís the way you have been brought up.

Does it bother you that Toni might, sometimes, talk too much?

You all ask him very often and sometimes his not aware of the repercussion his words can have.

Are we, the journalists, dangerous or simply inconvenient?

You have to be really careful, because the news get bigger when you sell the negative instead of the positive. The repercussion is bigger when someone says something outrageous. Many times Iíve read a headline, and then you read the interview and it has nothing to do with the headline.

Sometimes you seem a little bit tense with the media.

No, but naturally I have my moments too. During the clay season I felt bad, not with the journalists, but worse than normally with life in general. I had a problem with the knees, a personal problem and the pressure of playing everyday with a lot at risk in a crucial moment of the season. I was overwhelmed by things.

Itís clear you prefer direct contact with the fans. You even let an spectator hug you.

I see myself as a normal person and if someone wants to give me a hug, I understand he is not obeying the rules, but he comes to give me a hug.

Didnít cross your mind he could have other intentions?

No, and not because Iím very brave. Iím more of a coward, outside the court Iím not very brave. Iíve never fought with anyone, and Iíd rather run than getting into a fight. I tried to stop the policeman so he would let him go, but here things are very strict.

mandy01
09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Why don’t you want to talk about it?

When you talk about it you think more about the injuries than about playing. Everyone have problems, and it seems mine are named too much. Sometimes you are playing and are afraid of asking for the trainer. If I’m going to play the next day with options of winning, I don’t want everybody knowing something is wrong with my abs. I understand your job, but you must understand mine, which is to be my possible best every day. It’s not positive that the next day the headlines say I have an abdominal tear.

He just told the world he had injury by saying this :lol:
Saying you dont want to talk about being injured is pretty much like talking about it :lol:

drakulie
09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Boo-hoo-hoo

Swissv2
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Interesting interview!

RCizzle65
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Very nice interview from Nadal, I respect him even more now

wyutani
09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
best interview, surprised that he would know so many english words.

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for posting the interview Ledigs! Great post!:D

No problem! Interesting that they have to do these interviews in the midst of Grand Slams and whatnot. That might drive me crazy :) Hopefully Del Potro can get used to it and we will have 5 or 6 great players competing next year.

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
best interview, surprised that he would know so many english words.

It's a translation. I think we'd know a lot more about Nadal if he spoke English more fluently.

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 12:08 PM
It's a translation. I think we'd know a lot more about Nadal if he spoke English more fluently.

At least I think it is...actually not sure.

fruitytennis1
09-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Is this a translation or is he really speaking english.

fruitytennis1
09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
It just doesnt sound like common american speaking. In terms of word choice and just how it sounds.

babbette
09-16-2009, 12:25 PM
http://emoticons4u.com/love/029.gif http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdloUqZa7w

babbette
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
It was originally printed in elmundo. es so yeah it's a translation. El mundo. es is also where he used to print the Spanish side of his blogs so it's a reliable source.

namelessone
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Why don’t you want to talk about it?

When you talk about it you think more about the injuries than about playing. Everyone have problems, and it seems mine are named too much. Sometimes you are playing and are afraid of asking for the trainer. If I’m going to play the next day with options of winning, I don’t want everybody knowing something is wrong with my abs. I understand your job, but you must understand mine, which is to be my possible best every day. It’s not positive that the next day the headlines say I have an abdominal tear.

He just told the world he had injury by saying this :lol:
Saying you dont want to talk about being injured is pretty much like talking about it :lol:

Nadal is saying that he has it but he doesn't want it to be overstated,which the media usually does. His injury didn't affect his strokes much,just his serve,which wasn't great to begin with.

He has said after his match with DelPo that even if his abdomen didn't bother him he still would have got beat because he played the wrong game against Juan and that the argie was better that day. Why did he say this specifically? Because the press already jumped on the ab injury and this injury made more headlines than Rafa's match. I even saw an article on reuters in which the headline was "rafa admits that injury played role in defeat" which was BS. Nadal said that the injury affected his serve but that this didn't lose the match for him but his own game that day and how he failed to take the chances he had against Juan.

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Why does the press love Nadal?

West Coast Ace
09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
OP, thanks for posting. That was very good.

Why does the press love Nadal?Because he comes across as humble and genuine? Because the ones who've covered tennis for a long time have dealt with the egos and eccentrics? So when talking to a guy who, while he doesn't do a lot of interview - at least outside of Espana, is so down to earth, it's very refreshing.

I'll bet when Rafa agrees to do an interview, he shows up on time and doesn't make ridiculous demands.

Fay
09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Ledigs - thanks for posting .... awesome interview ...

might want to check this out

english subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nge5tuWnMk4

about Rafa switching from right to left

bolo
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Maybe itís the best way to improve.

It has the positive part and the negative one. Positive because you always respect your rivals, it makes you work. The negative part is sometimes you think you are worse than you are and makes you feel not confident when competing. That is because itís the way you have been brought up.

thanks for the post. This is a good answer and an important point. Imo if he were more confident in his abilities he would have cut back on his clay court schedule this year. Something to work on for nadal.

feetofclay
09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
OP, thanks for posting. That was very good.

Because he comes across as humble and genuine? Because the ones who've covered tennis for a long time have dealt with the egos and eccentrics? So when talking to a guy who, while he doesn't do a lot of interview - at least outside of Espana, is so down to earth, it's very refreshing.

I'll bet when Rafa agrees to do an interview, he shows up on time and doesn't make ridiculous demands.

Probably why he received this award at the US Open this year,

Ana Ivanovic and Rafael Nadal have been awarded the 2008 Ambassadors of the Year award by the International Tennis Writer's Association (ITWA). The award is given to the players who are most consistent and open in cooperating with the world media.

ITWA past president Neil Harman said:

"We understand that the players can't grant every interview request, but Ana and Rafa have been exemplary in their professional dealings with the media. Rafa is always scrupulously polite, while Ana always seems to have a smile on her face, even when talking to the media after a defeat. They are great role models for their fellow players, and we hope their engraved letter-openers can find a small but proud place in their trophy cabinets."

rafan
09-17-2009, 07:04 AM
The whole interview was very Nadal - thanks for that

srinrajesh
09-17-2009, 07:35 AM
The interview increases respect for nadal even more .. guess his small town roots does help him in this regard.