PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt furious at Tomic

viktorkwan
09-16-2009, 04:39 PM
An interesting report today in the Sydney Morning Herald...

DETAILS have emerged of a rift between former world No.1 Lleyton Hewitt and his Australian heir apparent Bernard Tomic following a practice snub at Wimbledon.

Hewitt and Tomic have not spoken since the incident, confirmed yesterday by Hewitt's manager David Drysdale and considered by a furious Hewitt to be a lack of respect.

Tennis Australia's tennis director Craig Tiley said yesterday he was aware that Tomic's father, John, who recently asked TA to spend vast sums on his son, had declined the practice invitation on his son's behalf on Wimbledon's middle Sunday, as Hewitt prepared for his fourth-round match and Tomic to contest the junior event.

But it has been neither forgotten nor forgiven, with Drysdale describing as ''interesting'' any scenario in which the pair was selected in the Davis Cup squad for Australia's first tie next year.

''I don't think Bernard should expect much from Lleyton, that's for sure,'' Drysdale said. ''To say that we were less than impressed would be an understatement.''

As Team Hewitt tells it, several phone calls were made to Tomic, his father and an IMG agent on the Saturday evening, asking if Tomic would hit at 1pm the following day.

There was no response, but the 16-year-old was present when Hewitt arrived to practise, his physiotherapist Ivan Gutierrez making the approach to the Tomic entourage.

''We turned up and saw the Tomics around and we thought, 'Oh, maybe they got our message, and they were there to hit with Lleyton','' Drysdale said, ''so Ivan went over to Bernard's trainer at the time, Rudy [Sopko] and said 'Is Bernard here to hit?'. Rudy knew nothing of it but said 'Look, Bernard's looking for a practice partner and I think Bernard would like to do it', but then the agent came in and said, 'No, he's not hitting with Lleyton, Lleyton's not good enough'.

''They were his words: 'Lleyton's not good enough' and we just about dropped on the spot. We were pretty dumbfounded. Lleyton just could not believe it, and the more he thought about it the angrier he got about it.''

Salting the wound was a subsequent conversation with Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero at courtside. ''Ivan asked if he was available to practise at one o'clock and Juan Carlos said, 'No, no, I've got a practice partner, but that young Australian kid Tomic, he just came and asked me to hit, why don't you ask him?','' Drysdale said.

''Then we told Juan Carlos what had happened and his coach said that if a leading player in Spain asked a junior to practise and the junior said no, that he would never get to hit with a senior player again, they would make sure he had all his funding and support from the national federation cut and that he would be, in the coach's words, 'strung up from a tree by his balls'.''

Tomic's agent, Lawrence Frankopan, denied one of his colleagues had denigrated Hewitt and stressed the dual grand slam champion had been an inspiration to his Davis Cup squadmate.

''We've been in the industry for 50 years, so the idea that an IMG

agent would say that a multiple grand slam champion was not good enough to hit with a 16-year-old, that's just ridiculous. It's laughable,'' Frankopan said.

''The situation was that, one, Bernard has the most respect for Lleyton and is the reason why Bernard became a tennis player. And, two, from what I understand that the kid he was playing the next day had a different style to Lleyton and Team Tomic felt that by playing Lleyton it wasn't beneficial for the next day's match. Not that he did not want to hit with Lleyton Hewitt … they just felt that it wasn't beneficial, and that's just a call from the coach and from the tennis team that is around Bernard.''

Drysdale said they had taken up the matter with Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald, who was apparently told by John Tomic, among other things, that Hewitt should previously have ''done more'' for his son.

''That's absolutely ridiculous, but it was the manner in which they went about it,'' Drysdale said. ''I know it's John Tomic who made the decision; we can't completely penalise Bernard for it. I think maybe if Bernard was there by himself Bernard would have done it, and I hope that [new Davis Cup coach] Todd Woodbridge can sort all this out …''

ArrowSmith
09-16-2009, 04:43 PM
What nonsense.... It's not about playing against a style, but playing against the best competitors! Tomic is a loser and will always be.

film1
09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
It was a joke

pabletion
09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
^^ apparently his father is the looser... then again, dont know anything about Bernard so, dunno if it rubs off on him?

Is this gonna be another one of those cases where crapp-*** parenting brings down a promising junior?

Feña14
09-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I think we now know the secret to Spains success! ;)

"Strung up from a tree by his balls" seems like a pretty good punishment.

Moz
09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
^^ apparently his father is the looser...

as in loose cannon?

jrod
09-16-2009, 05:18 PM
" Hewitt should previously have ''done more'' for his son "

Excuse me? Daddy sounds like he's a little prima donna. I bet he'd get along famously with the Young's. Unbelievable.

West Coast Ace
09-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Just saw this story on the Sydney Morning Herald site - pretty amazing. Weird in a few ways: I'd think a junior would hit with anyone, even if you didn't like the guy; also surprised Hewitt couldn't get an ATP dubs player to hit with.

This may be a short-lived feud: apparently Bernard is ready to cut the cord with Dad - if Wertheim's info is accurate (search on 'tomic'):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/09/14/fifty.things.open/index.html

The kid has potential - so I hope he sends Dad home and hires someone who can help him continue to progress.

Fedace
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
LMAO,,,,,, that Tomic guy won't amount to anything with that kind of attitude. and he needs to dump his father and his coach real quick... and get a New coach and a Advisor that really knows what they are doing.......
NO Wonder this kid hasn't broken thru yet. .......with that kind of people advising him,,,,,he will never make it.

Carsomyr
09-16-2009, 05:58 PM
LMAO,,,,,, that Tomic guy won't amount to anything with that kind of attitude. and he needs to dump his father and his coach real quick... and get a New coach and a Advisor that really knows what they are doing.......
NO Wonder this kid hasn't broken thru yet. .......with that kind of people advising him,,,,,he will never make it.

Or maybe it's because he's 16. :roll:

However, I agree that he needs to learn how to respect elders of the game. And if he himself is not at fault, he had better gain control over his entourage.

Fee
09-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Just saw this story on the Sydney Morning Herald site - pretty amazing. Weird in a few ways: I'd think a junior would hit with anyone, even if you didn't like the guy; also surprised Hewitt couldn't get an ATP dubs player to hit with.

This may be a short-lived feud: apparently Bernard is ready to cut the cord with Dad - if Wertheim's info is accurate (search on 'tomic'):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/09/14/fifty.things.open/index.html

The kid has potential - so I hope he sends Dad home and hires someone who can help him continue to progress.

I agree, and I hope Wertheim is right. This particular tennis parent sounds a little bit too much like Damir Dokic, and Tennis Australia should know better. IMG should also know better. For a 16 year old, he already seems to have a lot of trouble and discord in his brief tennis career. That kind of drama could crush every ounce of potential he has.

Max G.
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
he had better gain control over his entourage.

That's hard, though.

16 is not usually the age where you can try to 'get control' over your father.

wyutani
09-16-2009, 07:04 PM
wow, he rejected a hit with hewitt? wow....hahaha,

bluetrain4
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Sounds like another case of another tennis parent smothering their kid's career.

Lleyton, as the adult, could let it go though.

roundiesee
09-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Sorry for going off tangent, but I did remember an incident some years back when Àlex Corretja wanted a hit with young Lleyton, and the latter refused. Alex was pretty angry at the time as well. Tomic acted inappropriately I think in turning down Lleyton's request for a hit, but it seems that Mr Hewitt is getting a bit of his own medicine back.......

nfor304
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry for going off tangent, but I did remember an incident some years back when Àlex Corretja wanted a hit with young Lleyton, and the latter refused. Alex was pretty angry at the time as well. Tomic acted inappropriately I think in turning down Lleyton's request for a hit, but it seems that Mr Hewitt is getting a bit of his own medicine back.......

At that time though Hewitt was already a full blown top 100 pro. Not quite the same as a kid playing the juniors.... but definitely same principle.

slice bh compliment
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM

I do remember that. And Corretja is about the nicest guy around.

Then a few years later, Alex and Lleyton played at the Oz Oipen. Hewitt routed him. Nearly a triple bagel, if you can believe that.

I'd say Tomic has a shot at inheriting Lleyton's place in Australian tennis history. Where have to gone, Rodney G. Laver, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Ooh - hooh - hoo.

CanadianChic
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Donald Young anyone?

BreakPoint
09-16-2009, 08:15 PM
OMG!!! "Lleyton's not good enough"? Was he serious? He's only a former #1, winner of two Grand Slams (including Wimbledon), and into the QF this year.

Wow, Hewitt "not good enough" to hit with a junior player preparing to play against other juniors? Preposterous! Tomic should have been honored just to get an invitation to hit with Hewitt. Tennis Australia shouldn't give Tomic a dime of funding! What a conceited brat!

CanadianChic
09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
^^^Wow. This sure hit you pretty hard, eh? It'll be all right BP....breathe.

ArrowSmith
09-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Tomic will never make the ATP, you heard it here first!

slice bh compliment
09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
OMG!!! "Lleyton's not good enough"? Was he serious? He's only a former #1, winner of two Grand Slams (including Wimbledon), and into the QF this year.

Wow, Hewitt "not good enough" to hit with a junior player preparing to play against other juniors? Preposterous! Tomic should have been honored just to get an invitation to hit with Hewitt. Tennis Australia shouldn't give Tomic a dime of funding! What a conceited brat!

This is what happens when entourages and handlers do everything....and parents go on job interviews with their kids...in the age of athletes and teenagers with no actual interpersonal skills. They should have just tweeted eachother, man.

brb, TTYL

TennisandMusic
09-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Tomic will never make the ATP, you heard it here first!

Hasn't he already at least made it to the second round of the AO?

Leelord337
09-16-2009, 09:21 PM
What nonsense.... It's not about playing against a style, but playing against the best competitors! Tomic is a loser and will always be.

LOL thats the funniest thing i've heard today

Gugafan
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Hasn't he already at least made it to the second round of the AO?

Fluke....Played against an out of form Starace in the first round and then got hammered by Muller in round 2. I am pretty sure he would not have got out of the qualies, had he not recieved the WC.

He is still very young (17?) and has plenty of time to develop, but not quite at the level to be playing on the main tour.

grafselesfan
09-16-2009, 09:26 PM
haha funny story. Tomic sounds like a punk. Another Donald Young in the making if he doesnt adjust his attitude.

Max G.
09-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Tomic sounds like a punk.

And, according to the story, it seems like none of the correspondence was Tomic's doing, and mostly his entourage/agents.

He doesn't seem like a punk, he sounds like a kid with an obsessive maniac for a father.

Still sounds like a stupid decision, regardless of who made it.

Leelord337
09-16-2009, 09:59 PM
yano i'd pick juan carlos over lleyton too :) because he's better

grafselesfan
09-16-2009, 10:07 PM
yano i'd pick juan carlos over lleyton too :) because he's better

On clay that is.

maverick66
09-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Donald Young anyone?

I was actually told DY did something similiar to Courier. Courier offered to hit with him at the Us Open years ago and DY refused because it would have been early morning. Jim was working as a commentator and told him he would hit before work if he wanted to. This was when DY was still a junior so that rubbed a few people the wrong way.

crazylevity
09-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Tomic is nearly 17 with maturity of a 12 year old. Anyone familiar with that individual would know that. He is a mixture of Serena and Federer of the junior circuit. Add nutty father and greedy IMG yes-men to the mix, and you've got yourself a brand new sissy drama queen with her entourage complete.

When your countryman 2 slam champion star calls, you say yessir and show up there half an hour early with a can of new balls. It really is that simple. Otherwise, you are garbage and sissy queen, and you won't make ATP career.

I think you're a bit harsh, but there's some truth in it I suppose. Most of the juniors coming up the ranks are there by virtue of their parents' financial power, and they think that just because they've had a little bit of success, they let it get to their heads.

Someone needs to get it into their thick heads that all the money in the world won't make them a top ten player in the ATP. It's hard work hard work and more hard work. I would think that a junior would give anything to hit with a former slam champion. Jesse Levine was invited to hit with Federer and Dubai, and after getting over his initial shock he dropped everything, grabbed his gear and got his *** over there in double quick time. Look how well he did this year in the US Open.

A prima donna attitude will never get anyone anywhere, especially a youngster, and this definitely applies to the ATP.

TennisNinja
09-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Hmmm that is very odd. Why would he say no that's just dumb.

TheNatural
09-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Hewitt had dumped Delpo out of the tournament but he wast good enough to hit with Tomic. Hilarious.

grafselesfan
09-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Hewitt had dumped Delpo out of the tournament but he wast good enough to hit with Tomic. Hilarious.

It is just amazing the mentality some of these youngsters have already established, most of them due to the team around them usually headed by crazy idiotic parents who live in some lala land universe.

equinox
09-17-2009, 01:07 AM
This wasn't ber***** fault. He's not the anti christ. He's actually quite a shy lad and certainly wouldn't reject a hitout with hewy if directly asked. You try passing the request through 3 minders and you'll get a no everytime.

Tempest344
09-17-2009, 01:09 AM
sounds like Tomic's father is the real problem here.....

Becksx1
09-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Dokic ..... Tomic .... Dodgy fathering .....

eh oh :(

Gorecki
09-17-2009, 02:48 AM
wow... problems with Tomic and Hewitt...

how surprising...

ps: how and when did australian tennis turn from Laver\Rafter to Hewitt\Tomic

Cesc Fabregas
09-17-2009, 02:57 AM

how surprising...

Lleyton Hewitt is a nice guy, what are you on about?

Gorecki
09-17-2009, 03:23 AM

yes he is. a 1000 apologies... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM0J2duKrYM

hewitt Honouring Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUGXtiMNqk&feature=related

Hewitt doing philantropy for a line judge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnH092Qtyhc

Hewitt doing charity work in the AO 05

nfor304
09-17-2009, 05:07 AM

how surprising...

Australian tennis has been in trouble for a long time now....

Ever since Rafter retired participation rates are way down at the grass roots level.
Hewitt being the top ranked male hasn't done wonders.

It was only about 10 years ago that Australia had 12 players in the top 100 at 1 point. At the beginning of this year though that there wasn't even 1 man in the top 100 for the first time ever.

Tomic is really the only decent player on the horizon too, along with Carsten Ball possibly

slice bh compliment
09-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Oh no, at this rate, they'll never name an economy grade Babolat natural gut string after him.

Babolat VS Tomic?

Rippah!
Good on you, Bernie!

Gorecki
09-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Australian tennis has been in trouble for a long time now....

Ever since Rafter retired participation rates are way down at the grass roots level.
Hewitt being the top ranked male hasn't done wonders.

It was only about 10 years ago that Australia had 12 players in the top 100 at 1 point. At the beginning of this year though that there wasn't even 1 man in the top 100 for the first time ever.

Tomic is really the only decent player on the horizon too, along with Carsten Ball possibly

being such a fan of Laver, Rafter, Newk and Roesewall, i feel sad that the level as droped really low. i for one dont think Lleyton is worthy to carry the heritage of the previous ones.. for several reasons, being is behaviour the biggest of them all!

drakulie
09-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Hewitt should just call me. I'll hit with him. That said, I'd rather hit with someone a little better. :)

Rhinosaur
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Looks to me like a well-known jerk getting a taste of his own medicine.

Breaker
09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
being such a fan of Laver, Rafter, Newk and Roesewall, i feel sad that the level as droped really low. i for one dont think Lleyton is worthy to carry the heritage of the previous ones.. for several reasons, being is behaviour the biggest of them all!a

He's worthy enough - even Rafter himself thought so, and Hewitt is a much better tennis player than Rafter was.

Also Hewitt is a nice guy, who cares if he yells come on a lot? Big deal.

Moose Malloy
09-17-2009, 10:22 AM
more on this:

SWINE flu has been cited as a reason for Australian junior Bernard Tomic's failure to practice with Lleyton Hewitt at Wimbledon in June, as former Australian players yesterday expressed their hopes that the now-public differences between the country's finest player and its best junior prospect can be resolved.

John Tomic, through IMG agent Lawrence Frankopan, said his son was diagnosed with swine flu by an All England Club doctor during Wimbledon and he was thus unwilling for the 16-year-old to play ''when so unwell, against someone of Hewitt's stature''. Frankopan said he had been unaware of Tomic's condition when interviewed by The Age on Wednesday, as he was not handling the player's affairs at the time.

While this does not explain why Tomic was still apparently able to approach another former No. 1, Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero, for a hit on the same day, or address any associated quarantine issues, Frankopan said the illness could be verified by the tournament's medical staff. He also said John Tomic reiterated his son's respect for Hewitt, and denied the assertion by Hewitt's manager David Drysdale that IMG agent Gary Swain had been dismissive of the dual grand slam champion's game.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/tennis/tomic-camp-cites-swine-flu-for-snub/2009/09/17/1252780406082.html

danb
09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
delete post

Gorecki
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
a

He's worthy enough - even Rafter himself thought so, and Hewitt is a much better tennis player than Rafter was.

Also Hewitt is a nice guy, who cares if he yells come on a lot? Big deal.

i think otherwise... will have to agree to disagree!

bolo
09-17-2009, 10:48 AM
more on this:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/tennis/tomic-camp-cites-swine-flu-for-snub/2009/09/17/1252780406082.html

lol 10 char. :)

jimwh
09-17-2009, 11:11 AM
CanadianChic is absolutely right, this is so similar to the Donald Young story and you see where he in now.

luishcorreia
09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I do not know what was this situation, but sometimes juniors are asked to train with big names, only to serve specific purposes. Maybe these trainning sessions are good for the older players. Federer trainned with Portugal's top Junior Gastao Elias in serveral ocasions, because he's a lefty that hits with a lot of topspin -rings a bell? One time Gastao Elias declined because he was playing an inportant junior tournament round and he needed *his* trainning, and that just wasnt hiting topspin forehands to Roger's backhand. They practiced a few times later, but no disrespect here though!

Bud
09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Sounds like another case of another tennis parent smothering their kid's career.

Lleyton, as the adult, could let it go though.

Agreed. Lleyton's acting like a baby about it.

TourTenor
09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
more on this:

(Correction to typo above) Moron this:

lawrence
09-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Agreed. Lleyton's acting like a baby about it.

Lleyton or his management team? lol

plus wouldnt you be slightly annoyed if you were a 2 time slam champion, knocked delpo out of the tournament, and a junior player says you're not good enough to HIT WITH? i would

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Dokic ..... Tomic .... Dodgy fathering .....

eh oh :(

And if the father doesn't get what he wants, he packs them up after Tennis Australia spends millions on them, and then goes back to the old Yukoslavia and cancels their Australian citizenship?

Hang on.. Havn't we done this before?

Fee
09-17-2009, 06:33 PM
CanadianChic is absolutely right, this is so similar to the Donald Young story and you see where he in now.

Right down to the IMG agent. The name Gary Swain sure sounds familiar. I think he handled DY at one time. The swine flu excuse is lame, especially if he really did approach JCF that same day. This is horrible damage control, I thought IMG knew better.

slice bh compliment
09-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Right down to the IMG agent. The name Gary Swain sure sounds familiar. I think he handled DY at one time. The swine flu excuse is lame, especially if he really did approach JCF that same day. This is horrible damage control, I thought IMG knew better.

Gary Swain has also been Johnny Mac's agent for years. IMG Chicago office.

Fee
09-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Gary Swain has also been Johnny Mac's agent for years. IMG Chicago office.

Thank you, I thought I knew that name.

The-Champ
09-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Tomic? Never heard of the kid...judging by the last name...probably ethnically Serbian or Croatian.

IvanAndreevich
09-17-2009, 06:58 PM
LMAO Tomic's a ******. Kind of like Donald Young turning down practicing with Rafa.

doom
09-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Tomic? Never heard of the kid...judging by the last name...probably ethnically Serbian or Croatian.

He was born in Germany

Jay_The_Nomad
09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
I'd say Tomic has a shot at inheriting Lleyton's place in Australian tennis history.

Tomic would certainly inherit Hewitt's place as the no.1 player in Australia since he is the top male junior out of the lot that is coming through the ranks.

But whether or not he can break top 20 is another thing.

The next 2-3 years would be very important.

They're actually trying to mold him into the next Del Porto.

nfor304
09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Tomic would certainly inherit Hewitt's place as the no.1 player in Australia since he is the top male junior out of the lot that is coming through the ranks.

But whether or not he can break top 20 is another thing.

The next 2-3 years would be very important.

They're actually trying to mold him into the next Del Porto.

Hewitt was better at 16 than Tomic was. He had already won an atp tittle at 16, cracked the top 100 at 17 and cracked the top 30 at 18.

So yeah what Tomic does in the next couple of years will be very telling indeed

wilkinru
09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
saw this kid play in the AO this year.

he was like old murry with the temper and such

BreakPoint
09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha......I used to hit with an ex-pro from Australia. He said Hewitt is the most disliked guy in Australian tennis.

So you're wrong once again. Perhaps you should stick to starting threads about how Del Potro is overrated, doesn't have penetrating groundstrokes nor a decent serve, and that he'll never win a Grand Slam. :oops: LOL

equinox
09-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Woo lots of interest in tomic jr atm. herald sun (aussie tabloid) devoted a whole page to tennis.

Interviewing nickb on tomic jr + snr and leo schlink wrote half a page tearing into tomics dad.

malakas
09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
wasn't there another young australian player who was actually banned for racial insulting???

Hmm..it seems that Tomic will for sure take place of Hewitt in australian tennis...
..Meaning.. the place of most obnoxious player in the country.

Tenys4ever
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Tomic father will kill him with Australian public. Only 16 and already two or three controversys under his belt! He needs to remove himself but hard to do when only 16.

Apparently Australian tennis have only one player that is coming up. Tomic. Sure other players will be pleased to know that TA are going to invest even more than they already have in Tomic. Saw this quote

http://www.way2bet.com.au/news/article/updatetesting-times-for-tomics-as-future-beckons

"John Tomic remains bullish in his demand that Tennis Australia invest heavily to secure the right coaching team because he believes Bernard will only convert his immense potential with the aid of an internationally respected trainer who can improve his 194cm son’s on-court agility.

“I said to Todd (Woodbridge) and to (TA boss) Craig Tiley, if Australian tennis wants Bernard from 20 to 27 to make 10 to 15 grand slams, like Federer, we have to now concentrate on Bernard,” he said.

“After Rod Laver, John Newcombe, came Rafter, Hewitt. We have to do something, we have to make strategy. I said it will cost but we will get paid.

“But it has to happen now. It is time. Australian sport needs some like Roger, a legend.”

Will Tennis Australia be railroaded? I bet they give in to all of John Tomic's demands.

Tenys4ever
09-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Did you also hear that the player named for racial insults is being touted as having ban shortened and talk of giving wildcards into Sydney and AO? There's a punishment for you!

Another case of let's see how tough Tennis Australia will be.

Cesc Fabregas
09-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha......I used to hit with an ex-pro from Australia. He said Hewitt is the most disliked guy in Australian tennis.

So you're wrong once again. Perhaps you should stick to starting threads about how Del Potro is overrated, doesn't have penetrating groundstrokes nor a decent serve, and that he'll never win a Grand Slam. :oops: LOL

Del Potro was overrated in January, he didn't have a serve and his groundstrokes weren't that good. Anyway I thought Federer was going to triple bagel him the final. :oops:

Cesc Fabregas
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Back to the topic in hand...Tomic isn't very good and I doubt he'll ever get to top 20.

Max G.
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Tomic father will kill him with Australian public. Only 16 and already two or three controversys under his belt! He needs to remove himself but hard to do when only 16.

Apparently Australian tennis have only one player that is coming up. Tomic. Sure other players will be pleased to know that TA are going to invest even more than they already have in Tomic. Saw this quote

http://www.way2bet.com.au/news/article/updatetesting-times-for-tomics-as-future-beckons

"John Tomic remains bullish in his demand that Tennis Australia invest heavily to secure the right coaching team because he believes Bernard will only convert his immense potential with the aid of an internationally respected trainer who can improve his 194cm son’s on-court agility.

“I said to Todd (Woodbridge) and to (TA boss) Craig Tiley, if Australian tennis wants Bernard from 20 to 27 to make 10 to 15 grand slams, like Federer, we have to now concentrate on Bernard,” he said.

“After Rod Laver, John Newcombe, came Rafter, Hewitt. We have to do something, we have to make strategy. I said it will cost but we will get paid.

“But it has to happen now. It is time. Australian sport needs some like Roger, a legend.”

Will Tennis Australia be railroaded? I bet they give in to all of John Tomic's demands.

They should agree to the demands, on one condition - that John Tomic agree NOT to have ANYTHING to do with the coaching of Bernard for as long as Tennis Australia is providing him with coaching and/or financial support.

Bernard DOES have potential - probably not as exaggerated as John Tomic is making it out to be, but with the right coaching he can almost certainly become a legit top-100, top-50 player. But that potential is also easy to squash, such as by parents who try to take the spotlight.

sando
09-18-2009, 09:30 AM
the player banned was brydan klein

malakas
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
the player banned was brydan klein

thank you!I forgot his name!!He called kaffir an african player..

and now tennis australia is thinking about cutting his punishment??:rolleyes:
Great job..

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Whats the name of this guy you hit with, and I will tell you if he would know...

Don't be saying stuff if, one, you don't really know, or two, you cant back it up...:)

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Back to the topic in hand...Tomic isn't very good and I doubt he'll ever get to top 20.

I am an Aussie, and I agree..

prince
09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
The matter was cleared up yesterday as it was known from reliable sources that Bernard Tomic was waiting for Donald Young to practice with .

Tenys4ever
09-18-2009, 10:23 PM
And if the father doesn't get what he wants, he packs them up after Tennis Australia spends millions on them, and then goes back to the old Yukoslavia and cancels their Australian citizenship?

Hang on.. Havn't we done this before?

How true - the only problem there is that am sure he wouldn't get anywhere near the funding that TA have already given him in Croatia and no doubt, will continue to. They obviously feel that they have TA over a barrel - and that they will bow and scrape to their demands. Bet he wouldn't get the same treatment back in Croatia. That's why they stay. We are suckers - even Rafter said in Tennis Aus magazine "There is one point that I am trying to get across to all those responsible for the decision making and that is to spread the money so a lot more players get a chance, even if they are not the best kids at this stage in Australia. We need to have 20 kids in each and every age group, both boys and girls, who are receiving funding, and we should stop givingf the top kids everything. I can't think of anything more sensible than that".

I agree.

borg number one
09-19-2009, 11:00 AM
If this is actually true, what would Tomic's excuse be for not returning Hewitt's phone calls? I tend to agree that it would be very disrespectful to do that, given what Hewitt has done for Australian Tennis. Yet, you know how things can be around a young "prodigy". Sometimes, everyone around such a player will really "keep drinking the kool aid".

babolat15
09-19-2009, 11:06 AM
this is te most ludicrous thing ive ever heard fed wouldnt turn down a hit with hewitt

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-19-2009, 04:10 PM

After thinking about it, I wanted to reply again..

Whats the name of this guy you hit with, and I will tell you if he would know...

Don't be saying stuff if, one, you don't really know, or two, you cant back it up... I doubt he is anyone that is of any real importance.. But then again, you can say its anyone, because its the internet..

Secondly. Hewitt is a golf head, as are a lot of players.. So he plays with a lot of guys. Nadal being a regular.. So to say that he is not liked in any circle is just unfounded..

We all have our friends, and we also have some not so.. But Lleyton has done everything for TA from the days of being water boy for the Davis Cup team, till now..

He had one incident with Blake, and everyone (American media) made him to something he simply isn't.. A guy that expects 100%, and always gives it.. That takes a certain kind of character..

World Beater
09-19-2009, 04:20 PM
oh whatever...

both tomic and hewitt have huge egos.

tomic for basically rejecting hewitt's offer without any response whatsoever...and hewitt for allowing some teenager to hurt his fragile ego by burning him.

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
oh whatever...

both tomic and hewitt have huge egos.

tomic for basically rejecting hewitt's offer without any response whatsoever...and hewitt for allowing some teenager to hurt his fragile ego by burning him.

And we know this story is even true how?

You need to make your opinions of people by using fact, and not hear-say.. You may think Hewitt is arrogant by the way he plays, and fair enough. But you simply dont know him personally, and cant make that assumption of someone that you have never met...

Just saying...

sando
09-19-2009, 08:57 PM
darth timmay that is correct.

most guys on the tour get along with hewitt. he regularly warms up with murray, has played doubles with murray, fed, alot of other top players. its just the media that hates him

lawrence
09-19-2009, 09:14 PM
darth timmay that is correct.

most guys on the tour get along with hewitt. he regularly warms up with murray, has played doubles with murray, fed, alot of other top players. its just the media that hates him

yep. hewitt has his come on's and loud court attitude. but lets face it, that was when he was 17-18.. add to this the fact that he was a footy player, and if you watch footy (even if you watch NFL), you can see that the antics of the games are completely different from tennis and cheering isn't frowned upon.
he's matured a lot now and there's nothing wrong with his court behavior.

hell in europe, football(soccer) players even cheer when players dive for penalties. now THAT is bad sportsmanship