PDA

View Full Version : Federer givin it to the Ump!!!

pabletion
09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
THE WRATH OF FEDERER

We all saw this........... CBS cut it right in the middle of it but here it is, the whole 'conversation' between RF and the infamous Ump who dared told him to be quiet. Sorry if it has been already posted, didnt find it and if it is, mods feel free to delete and/or move. Anyways enjoy:

I dont give a shizzle what he said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZbDDe4eOE

topspin
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
This is a good video. It's the best one I've seen so far about this topic. Based on the fact that Roger said: "Stop showing me the hand ok?" and "Don't tell me to be quiet", it's clear that the ref was asking for it.

Cindysphinx
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Ha! Just like I figured. The ump did not tell Fed to be quiet.

Fed sits down and as the replay is happening, he says something like "Don't give me the hand." It looks like the ump is still managing the replay (announcing that the call stands, etc.) and he holds up his hand to Roger. Who takes offense and says "don't tell me to be quiet."

The ump was perfectly appropriate. He has to finish up the details of the replay and changeover, and then he can explain things to Fed.

Also, DP did not take too long to challenge. He walks over toward the chair, asking the chair's opinion. He has to get close enough to hear what is said, so this takes a few seconds. He glances at his box and almost simultaneously challenges.

Much ado about nothing.

OddJack
09-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I liked that Johnny Mc supported Roger on this one. He also said that Umpire telling him to " be quiet" was absurd, which it was.

That was the worse umpire I have seen in a while poor judgment. They should use someone with more experience in the finals.

ghostbear
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Better footage here:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4474389 <--0:50

"No no no, please! Itís too late. Come on! I wasn't allowed to challenge after 2 seconds. The guy takes, like, 10 every time. You can't allow that stuff to happen. Do you have any rules in there or what? Stop showing me the hands, OK? Don't tell me to be quiet, OK? When I want to talk, I talk, all right? I don't give a sh*t what he said. I just say he waited too long. Don't f*cking tell me the rules. I wasn't allowed to f*cking challenge, like, 2 matches ago after 1 second. He takes 10 seconds. Oh, he likes the rules, OK? Don't f*cking talk to me."

ronalditop
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Even when cursing Roger looks so cool and calm down.

Lifted
09-16-2009, 05:40 PM
The rule for the challenge system is that the player has to challenge immediately. DelPo took way too long (as many players wrongly do) and Federer threw a hissy fit. Good stuff.

Seriously, though, either the challenge period is made clear and evenly enforced, or...something else.

OddJack
09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Even when cursing Roger looks so cool and calm down.

Yep, that's called GCOAT.

Cindysphinx
09-16-2009, 05:42 PM
The rule for the challenge system is that the player has to challenge immediately. DelPo took way too long (as many players wrongly do) and Federer threw a hissy fit. Good stuff.

Seriously, though, either the challenge period is made clear and evenly enforced, or...something else.

The consensus among umps in interpreting the rule is that the player is allowed to ask the ump for an opinion. That is exactly what DP did.

Fed may not like it, but he does it also.

pabletion
09-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Later Fed challenged a 2nd serve of Del Potro's, which turned out to be out... but Fed took waaaay longer (I think), after almost sitting back in his chair (game ended with that 2nd serve, Fed had missed the return). Federer asks the umpire about the serve, the ump tells him he thinks it was good, and Fed goes 'Can I challenge?'. Of course the ump gave fed the challenge and the ball was out, 'member? 'member that one?

Ledigs
09-16-2009, 05:46 PM
This is hilarious. I love when Fed says " Don't you guys have any rules in der?"

He was being funny at the same time.

OddJack
09-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Later Fed challenged a 2nd serve of Del Potro's, which turned out to be out... but Fed took waaaay longer (I think), after almost sitting back in his chair (game ended with that 2nd serve, Fed had missed the return). Federer asks the umpire about the serve, the ump tells him he thinks it was good, and Fed goes 'Can I challenge?'. Of course the ump gave fed the challenge and the ball was out, 'member? 'member that one?

No, got it wrong.

That ball was called out by someone in the crowd and Roger stopped playing. He did not sit, he explained that someone called the ball out. Ump asked the lineman who said he did not make any calls. Then Rodger asked the umpire if he can challenge which he did, and the ball was out.

It's quite obvious from your thread that you are here to bash Roger, and that's fine but at least go with the facts not what "you think" what happened.

West Coast Ace
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
No, got it wrong.

That ball was called out by someone in the crowd and Roger stopped playing. He did not sit, he explained that someone called the ball out. Ump asked the lineman who said he did not make any calls. Then Rodger asked the umpire if he can challenge which he did, and the ball was out.

It's quite obvious from your thread that you are here to bash Roger, and that's fine but at least go with the facts not what "you think" what happened.Well done. There are a few people in here that have an agenda against Roger. They act like him asking for the rule to be enforced is some crime. Just because people have gotten away with stalling before doesn't make it the new rule. Tell that to the cop who pulls you over for speeding...

I'm American and was embarrassed by Garner's overall performance in the chair in the final. His requests to the crowd to shut up once the server was ready to go were weak - and that's being very kind. This match and others have shown that he doesn't seem to have the presence to control the match.
Maybe the ATP can trade him to the WTA for a box of old net straps...

Hatari!
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I love how the theme from Taxi was playing in the background.

Tennis_Maestro
09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Federer banged the umpire?

AlexTennisAllDayLong
09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Umpires never told Safin to be quiet....because they knew Safin would break his racquet on their head in a heartbeat

Cindysphinx
09-16-2009, 06:15 PM
:sigh:

The umpire did *not* tell Fed to be quiet. Can we put that to rest? He seems to have held up his hand for "Hold on" which is quite different from instructing someone to "Be quiet."

DarthFed
09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Some say he said be quiet..some say he didn't i can't really remember all i remember is

"Don't ****ing talk to me" :)

ronalditop
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM

The umpire did *not* tell Fed to be quiet. Can we put that to rest? He seems to have held up his hand for "Hold on" which is quite different from instructing someone to "Be quiet."

Why are you so sure about that? Were you there to see exactly what happened?

BallzofSkill
09-16-2009, 06:25 PM

how can you tell? we're not getting any footage of the umpire and it would be kind of strange not to say anything to Roger while he was making his complaint.

pabletion
09-16-2009, 06:36 PM
hmmm Cindy has a good point. At the live transmission, I thought he told federer to be quiet, but because of all the hand gesture, maybe the ump didnt, but Federer didnt like him holding his hand to try and calm him or whatever.
Still we cant be absolute certain he didnt told him to be quiet. Anyways, they have surely forgotten the episode and didnt amount to anything more than an instant, and here we are still talking about it... (I brought it up hehe).

Anyways, this thread was an attempt to enjoy FEd at his angriest, not bashing, but its fun to watch, just like that footage of him destroying his J90 ;)

bad_call
09-16-2009, 06:38 PM
pabletion - thanks for posting. was watching that when it switched over to tv commercial. after that incident Del Po serves and Fed doesn't play it cause he thought the linesman yelled out tho it was a spectator. Fed goes over to talk to the ump and after 15 seconds or so says he wants to challenge. DP started talking to Fed but again switched to blasted commercial. can imagine that DP would say....hey what were you saying about my late challenge?.... :)

pabletion
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
pabletion - thanks for posting. was watching that when it switched over to tv commercial. after that incident Del Po serves and Fed doesn't play it cause he thought the linesman yelled out tho it was a spectator. Fed goes over to talk to the ump and after 15 seconds or so says he wants to challenge. DP started talking to Fed but again switched to blasted commercial. can imagine that DP would say....hey what were you saying about my late challenge?.... :)

no prob. Did DP talk to Fed? I didnt catch that but hey.... I think if he did say something to Fed it was all in good fun, dont think he wouldve had the nerve to be confrontational. Anyways, I think Fed challenged because he knew the ump would allow him to, after what had happened. It appeared to me Fed thought that serve was in, and he'd loose the challenge, but heck, asked for the challenge to kinda mess with the ump.

Cindysphinx
09-17-2009, 05:06 AM
how can you tell? we're not getting any footage of the umpire and it would be kind of strange not to say anything to Roger while he was making his complaint.

Here's how you can tell:

No no no, please! Itís too late. Come on! I wasn't allowed to challenge after 2 seconds. The guy takes, like, 10 every time. You can't allow that stuff to happen. Do you have any rules in there or what? Stop showing me the hands, OK? Don't tell me to be quiet, OK? When I want to talk, I talk, all right? I don't give a sh*t what he said. I just say he waited too long. Don't f*cking tell me the rules. I wasn't allowed to f*cking challenge, like, 2 matches ago after 1 second. He takes 10 seconds. Oh, he likes the rules, OK? Don't f*cking talk to me."

What could "Stop showing me the hand" possibly mean? It probably is the universal gesture for "hang on": Showing someone the palm of your hand.

As the video clearly shows, the ump is announcing stuff on the microphone as Fed starts talking, and when Fed says to stop showing him the hand. If the ump had said to be quiet (into a live mike, mind you), we would have heard it.

It is far more logical that the ump uses a gesture to tell Fed to hang on than that the ump tells Fed to be quiet near a live mike.

Go back and watch the video again.

pabletion
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Hmm, good point Cindy......... maybe he DIDNT actually say 'be quiet'. Oh well.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 03:12 PM
That ump should be fired. Fed deserves to win 25 slams just for this injustice!

mandy01
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Here's how you can tell:

What could "Stop showing me the hand" possibly mean? It probably is the universal gesture for "hang on": Showing someone the palm of your hand.

As the video clearly shows, the ump is announcing stuff on the microphone as Fed starts talking, and when Fed says to stop showing him the hand. If the ump had said to be quiet (into a live mike, mind you), we would have heard it.

It is far more logical that the ump uses a gesture to tell Fed to hang on than that the ump tells Fed to be quiet near a live mike.

Go back and watch the video again. We watched the video and just as the umpire raised his hand he could've said be quiet in a low voice-Not everything an umpire says has to get picked up.Unless you're suggesting that the comms who were there are wrong and only you are right I dont see any point in your statement.
And btw-Fed says "Dont tell me to be quiet" after a slight pause and the umpire had finished speaking on the microphone by then.Which means he could've told Roger to be quiet.
All in all,your point isnt as valid as you make it out to be.

Eviscerator
09-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Norm Chryst also did a poor job the day before by making an overrule on the serve that hit the line right in front of him.
Then he compounded it by making ND serve again even though it was clearly an un-returnable serve.

Sentinel
09-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Federer doing stuff like this makes for more excitement in the world of tennis, they should reward Federer (and Serena too mebbe) handsomely for such behavior :twisted::twisted:

That ump should be fired. Fed deserves to win 25 slams just for this injustice!
way to go, AS, love you pal !!!

mandy01
09-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Federer doing stuff like this makes for more excitement in the world of tennis, they should reward Federer (and Serena too mebbe) handsomely for such behavior :twisted::twisted:

way to go, AS, love you pal !!!
couldnt agree more:twisted:

Polvorin
09-18-2009, 02:53 PM
The consensus among umps in interpreting the rule is that the player is allowed to ask the ump for an opinion. That is exactly what DP did.

Fed may not like it, but he does it also.

Does this even make sense? If the ump was of the opinion that the call was wrong, he would overrule it. He didn't overrule, so he obviously agreed with the call.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-18-2009, 03:21 PM
THE WRATH OF FEDERER

We all saw this........... CBS cut it right in the middle of it but here it is, the whole 'conversation' between RF and the infamous Ump who dared told him to be quiet. Sorry if it has been already posted, didnt find it and if it is, mods feel free to delete and/or move. Anyways enjoy:

I dont give a shizzle what he said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZbDDe4eOE
Totally agree with Fed on this one.

drwood
09-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Totally agree with Fed on this one.

No need for the cursing, however. It was good that he was fined. He shouldn't get the sportsmanship award this year IMO...should either go to Delpo or Nadal.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
No need for the cursing, however. It was good that he was fined. He shouldn't get the sportsmanship award this year IMO...should either go to Delpo or Nadal.
Im sure the fine blew a big black hole in his wallet:)
I understand his frustration though.
I would have reacted the same way so I cant judge him.

drwood
09-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Im sure the fine blew a big black hole in his wallet:)
I understand his frustration though.
I would have reacted the same way so I cant judge him.

I would have been upset, but wouldn't have cursed. Yeah, the fine for Fed is probably the equivalent of us getting fined $1, if that.

DjordjeRosic
09-18-2009, 10:36 PM
I was bored so I wanted to post this LOL XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5YnasqOv0&feature=fvw

-Djordje

crash1929
09-18-2009, 10:46 PM
what the heck is up with the taxi music coming in?

crash1929
09-18-2009, 10:49 PM
I was bored so I wanted to post this LOL XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5YnasqOv0&feature=fvw

-Djordje

nice one dude good find. even the ump laughs

borg number one
09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I think he was "venting" some there, and I don't blame him for it. No big deal. I think he realized that Del Potro was not going to just fade away in the match and by challenging that way, something told him that Del Potro had growing belief that he could beat Federer on that day.