PDA

View Full Version : Should Federer get the Edberg Award for 2009?

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 12:44 AM
The other thread got derailed big time, so here is the new one.

In my opinion, he mostly deserved the awards he got until now. But in 2009, his behavior when losing was appalling in a few cases (Miami, US Open) and no way he should get the award for this year. Your opinions on this?

ASL
09-17-2009, 12:45 AM
He's done a lot of nasty things on court so....NO!

malakas
09-17-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't know..who's the other options???
Murray??!
If someone propose a better option,I will say my opinion..

ASL
09-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I think Gonzo would be a worthy winner.

Gorecki
09-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Murray??!

does it have to be a top tenner?... no... so many options for you around...

but definitely not Fed. this year, there has been some awkward moments that he gave us.

i was thinking Blake? maybe....

malakas
09-17-2009, 01:23 AM

Gonzo?!?!
With his behaviour?
I don't really consider the ***** whipping to be good sportmanship..

malakas
09-17-2009, 01:24 AM
does it have to be a top tenner?... no... so many options for you around...

but definitely not Fed. this year, there has been some awkward moments that he gave us.

i was thinking Blake? maybe....

nope.Of course not neccessary.
Blake sure is an option..

ASL
09-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Djokovic, Simon and Tsonga are on my list.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Murray??!

There are plenty of other players.

Fed should not get it this time IMO. It was OK in previous years, since he was the best behaved of the top players and never used any gamesmanship on court. But in 2009, those 2 outburst he had should prevent him from getting it.

mandy01
09-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Blake IMO deserves one award atleast.
As for the poll-I dont know.Whoever the players think deserves the award for this year,that guy should win it.

mandy01
09-17-2009, 01:38 AM
There are plenty of other players.

Fed should not get it this time IMO. It was OK in previous years, since he was the best behaved of the top players and never used any gamesmanship on court. But in 2009, those 2 outburst he had should prevent him from getting it. None of it was gamesmanship..but whatever.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 01:39 AM
As for the poll-I dont know.Whoever the players think deserves the award for this year,that guy should win it.

um, ok, .... so do you think that the other players will think that Fed deserves the award for this year?

That other poll "is fed a poor sportsman?" was badly worded. Fed is obviously not a poor sportsman. I think this poll is more subtle and nuanced.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 01:40 AM
None of it was gamesmanship..but whatever.

When did I say he used gamesmanship??? I said he used it less than anyone else :confused:

mandy01
09-17-2009, 01:41 AM
um, ok, .... so do you think that the other players will think that Fed deserves the award for this year?

That other poll "is fed a poor sportsman?" was badly worded. Fed is obviously not a poor sportsman. I think this poll is more subtle and nuanced.
I dont know..I'm not them :wink:

malakas
09-17-2009, 01:57 AM

yes.Also Blake is well liked among other tennis players,so he for sure has a chance to win this.
Djokovic??I don't think he's too loved in the lockerooms.About Tsonga and Simon I don't know..It is too far fetched for me,and I don't think they have serious chance to win.

oh,it would be so nice if Santoro won it!!Now that he retires too..:/

drwood
09-17-2009, 06:08 AM
I think Delpo or Nadal should get the award this year.

Sentinel
09-17-2009, 06:18 AM
I think Serena should win this award for always putting her best foot forward.

samster
09-17-2009, 06:22 AM
I think Serena should win this award for always putting her best foot forward.

her left foot, right?

ghostbear
09-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Fed wasn't able to win his sixth straight Wimbledon or US Open, but I think he can win this thing 6 in a row. :lol:

srinrajesh
09-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Delpo, Nadal, santoro could be good options this year

tudwell
09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Djokovic should win it. Total sportsman. Yielding points when he doesn't think he deserves them, telling his opponents to challenge, even when it costs him the game (and the match).

And I would expect that the players look more at how players treat other players than how they treat umpires and such, so Federer refusing to shake an umpire's hand or his little tiff at the U.S. Open probably won't be a huge deal. But the stalling tactics that Del Potro and Nadal commit do affect other players, so I doubt either one of them will win.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 08:34 AM
No way...

* the crying after AO final
* racquet abuse in Miami
* umpire abuse in US Open final

am I missing any other jerk behavior?

ASL
09-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Djokovic should win it. Total sportsman. Yielding points when he doesn't think he deserves them, telling his opponents to challenge, even when it costs him the game (and the match).

Djokovic is a genuinely kind person.

Cyan
09-17-2009, 08:36 AM
He will get it. And it will be ironic..

pennc94
09-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Delpo, Nadal, santoro could be good options this year

Nadal?

You mean someone who constantly whines and complains about scheduling? How is that sportsmanlike?

How about playing some exos right before you pull out of a major of which you are the defending champion because you are "not 100%"?

Seems like he was not 100% for the US open but he played (very well) there.

I think there may be better candidates.

jwbarrientos
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Not this time, remember many times Roger losing his tempers in this year @ AO, Sonny Ericsson Open, USO.

Still my favorite player, but probably could find another good guys around.

malakas
09-17-2009, 08:48 AM
I want Santoroooo to win it!!!:cry: :cry:

ghostbear
09-17-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't think other ATP players would be callous enough to deny Fed his sixth straight Sportsmanship award. It would be a consolation prize for his failed tries at sixth straight Wimbledon and US Open. I say he deserves the award for this gem alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTTY3QuLcQ

Besides, I think players like Nadal and Del Potro always vote for Fed no matter what.

Cyan
09-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't think other ATP players would be callous enough to deny Fed his sixth straight Sportsmanship award. It would be a consolation prize for his failed tries at sixth straight Wimbledon and US Open. I say he deserves the award for this gem alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTTY3QuLcQ

Besides, I think players like Nadal and Del Potro always vote for Fed no matter what.

But there is the six year in a row curse for Fed... He failed to win the six Wimbledon and USO in a row after all...

tudwell
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
He also failed to make the YEC final 6 straight years.

TheNatural
09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
no, he tries to unsettle his opponents by whining too much when he's losing.

luishcorreia
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Daniel Koelher?? :)

Ok..really...I think Nadal should win it! He has grace when winning, and also when losing. In the US Open he only talked about his abdominal injury after being eliminated. He never said anything strange after losing at Rolland Garros.

I think he has fair-play!

luishcorreia
09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
No way...

* the crying after AO final
* racquet abuse in Miami
* umpire abuse in US Open final

am I missing any other jerk behavior?

Very well put! Juan Martin Del Potro would do nicelly also!

NamRanger
09-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Most people don't realize that the award goes to Sportsmanship on and off the court. Federer does alot of things off the court that does not get seen by the public.

フェデラー
09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
if you actually look at the entire field of people, fed is the only option.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
So, since most people say no, who should get it this year?

- some said Nadal or DelPo, but Nadal basically breaks rules whenever he serves and DelPo probably doesn't do enough charity or tennis promotion due to his youth

- Djokovic - this year, he's begging for attention from the crowd and media, so he shouldn't get it, and there are other things

- maybe some of those other lower ranked guys, Blake or Baghdy....

VivalaVida
09-17-2009, 03:21 PM
If his peers vote him for the award, than yes, he should get the award. Untimately the players on tour know Federer a 1000 times better than the armchair critics on this forum.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
If his peers vote him for the award, than yes, he should get the award. Untimately the players on tour know Federer a 1000 times better than the armchair critics on this forum.

Well, we can always speculate. Anyone on this forum can see how McENroe behaved on court without knowing the guy privately.

VivalaVida
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, we can always speculate. Anyone on this forum can see how McENroe behaved on court without knowing the guy privately.
Federer is no Mcenroe. Comparing them is absurd. Federer is extremely reserved on the court except for a few small moments in the match. That is hardly enough evidence to speculate about his of court personality. From countless sources, I have heard that Federer is extremely well liked by players on tour.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Federer is no Mcenroe. Comparing them is absurd. Federer is extremely reserved on the court except for a few small moments in the match. That is hardly enough evidence to speculate about his of court personality. From countless sources, I have heard that Federer is extremely well liked by players on tour.

I'm not comparing him to McENroe. I'm just saying we don't know what Mc is like in person, which doesn't mean we can't say he is a bad sportsman.

From what I've seen, Federer behaved badly in his last 2 matches. Maybe he was unjustly robbed by the umpire, but the same thing happened to Djokovic in the semis (he had an obvious ace cancelled, and had 7 bad calls agaisnt him). Did Djokovic curse on court?

VivalaVida
09-17-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm not comparing him to McENroe. I'm just saying we don't know what Mc is like in person, which doesn't mean we can't say he is a bad sportsman.

From what I've seen, Federer behaved badly in his last 2 matches. Maybe he was unjustly robbed by the umpire, but the same thing happened to Djokovic in the semis (he had an obvious ace cancelled, and had 7 bad calls agaisnt him). Did Djokovic curse on court?
Em but Djokovic did act like a psychopath on court when he took his racket and slammed on his thigh like 5 times during a changeover. Also are u crying about that ace that federer "should" have conceited. Federer has the vision of a bat on the tennis court. Did u see his challenge sucess rate! He went with the umpires call on that and dont forget later in the match when Federer was doubtful of a call, he GAVE the point to djokovic. It def leads me to believe that Fed was unaware that the djokers ball was in .

quest01
09-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I think Roddick should be considered for the award because on how humble he was after losing against Federer at Wimbledon.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Em but Djokovic did act like a psychopath on court when he took his racket and slammed on his thigh like 5 times during a changeover. Also are u crying about that ace that federer "should" have conceited. Federer has the vision of a bat on the tennis court. Did u see his challenge sucess rate! He went with the umpires call on that and dont forget later in the match when Federer was doubtful of a call, he GAVE the point to djokovic. It def leads me to believe that Fed was unaware that the djokers ball was in .

Can the umpire overrule a hawkeye? If Fed has the vision of a bat then he should believe the hawkeye which the umpire also has to obey. Now, I know many people would not concede a point there, but they are not called good sportsman. And then Federer complained about DP not being a good sportsman in the final. It's the combination of these 2 things that ****es me off.

I didn't say Djokovic was perfect, just that he behaved better than Fed even though he was also shafted by the ump. And Djokovic is miles away from any sportsmanship award.

VivalaVida
09-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Can the umpire overrule a hawkeye? If Fed has the vision of a bat then he should believe the hawkeye which the umpire also has to obey. Now, I know many people would not concede a point there, but they are not called good sportsman. And then Federer complained about DP not being a good sportsman in the final. It's the combination of these 2 things that ****es me off.

I didn't say Djokovic was perfect, just that he behaved better than Fed even though he was also shafted by the ump. And Djokovic is miles away from any sportsmanship award.
I admit Fed didnt act like the good sportsman we are used to seeing. However, Del Potro took a long time to challenge. He always looked up to his box and asked his coach for guidance. He might as well have went up to his box and had tea with coach on whether to challenge. Dont Forget Del Potro also took timeouts which were extremely unfair to Murray in Montreal. My point being is that every player can have their low moments.

kishnabe
09-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Really, Maybe Gonzo for his *** remark in the french open might take him out of the talk. I would say maybe Del Potro for the Award since he is allways soft spoken in press conferences.

SerbWhoLovesDelPo
09-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I admit Fed didnt act like the good sportsman we are used to seeing. However, Del Potro took a long time to challenge. He always looked up to his box and asked his coach for guidance. He might as well have went up to his box and had tea with coach on whether to challenge. Dont Forget Del Potro also took timeouts which were extremely unfair to Murray in Montreal. My point being is that every player can have their low moments.

But isn;'t that what players do? First they ask the umpire if he is really sure about the call, and if he says no, they then go and challenge, so they wouldn't waste a challenge for no reason.

But I agree DelPo is not the best sportsman. Fed is actually my favorite player after DP and Djoko, but he ****ed me off a couple of times this year. Someone else should get the award this year definitely.

r2473
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Tomic

zagor
09-18-2009, 01:55 AM
I don't think he should get it this year but then again it's up to the players themselves,not up to fans,media,this forum etc. It's their call to make so if they vote Fed again I'll accept it.

I would personally give it to JCF but again it's not my opinion that counts.

P_Agony
09-18-2009, 04:21 AM
He should, he was a great sportsman for the most part and a class act like always.

ASL
09-18-2009, 04:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sanchino
09-18-2009, 05:19 AM

His cheating at the Olympics should disqualify that *****

Rippy
09-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, Federer is generally very sporting, but he's had a couple of lapses, so I guess there's someone there who deserves it more.

T1000
09-18-2009, 11:24 AM
shouldn't win it this year but neither should Nadal or Del Potro.

Del Potros gamenship in the USO final was just disgusting. Challening a year after the point ended and only asking for a let after Roger aced him was just pathetic

Nadal's constant whining and complaining about the scheduling takes him off the list.

Santoro or Blake should win it

Tony48
09-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Federer? LOL....

Anyways, maybe Novak should win it. He's practically been campaigning all year. Or maybe not....that retirement in Australia may count against him.