PDA

View Full Version : Is Coria done?

Wondertoy
09-17-2009, 07:47 AM
What happened to this guy who owned Agassi at the French one year? Isn't he young enough to make a comeback?

roddickfan1000
09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
he retired

ASL
09-17-2009, 07:55 AM
He was very promising indeed.

Wondertoy
09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
He also had a hot looking gf/wife!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://kingcoria.com/carlacor2.JPG&imgrefurl=http://kingcoria.com/carla.html&usg=__iQRcD6FgN7seINltUJWjwYMhB-0=&h=504&w=336&sz=47&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=25tvZnVoCXjJ7M:&tbnh=130&tbnw=87&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcarla%2Bcoria%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff% 26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_enUS317US317%26um%3D1

amx13
09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
wasnt he making a comeback at the start of 2009? I read about that somewhere. I do remember he was having a hard time serving (tons of double faults). A shame really, he was such a great clay court player.

wyutani
09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
he retired on april, yes he is done. soon will be gaudio.

jwbarrientos
09-17-2009, 09:46 AM
He retired, officially made a statement this year, no more confidence, shoulder issues and bad results ...

IMHO sth in his head should be included as a part of the combo :mrgreen:

Probably the winner in "I-can-not-defeat-Rafa" obviously the runner up goes to Roger.

Gut Feeling
09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
His loss to Gaudio simply crushed him. he never recovered.

BHud
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
His loss to Gaudio simply crushed him. he never recovered.

Exactly...and Gaudio hasn't fared much better...I saw him at the Miami tournament this year walking to his car in the public parking lot with the general spectators...I'm not sure he even got into the tournament.

LeftyServe
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Both Gaudio and Coria had excellent years in 2005, the year after the French. Gaudio won 5 titles that year, and both players qualified for the Masters Cup (that was the year Nalbandian won). I do not think it was losing the French that damaged Coria the most; I think it was his loss to Nadal almost a year later in Rome 2005 - a 5 1/2 hour battle, one of the greatest clay court matches you'll see. He left it all on the court and still came up short. I think that match was the one that crushed his belief the most.

grafselesfan
09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I always thought he was overrated and I dont think he was ever going to win the French after 2004 no matter what. Still it is sad when someones career goes down the tubes in that fashion, their wife leaves them during their down time too. Hopefully he is doing well and happy, and can find some peace with his career.

Michael Bluth
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
But maybe if he had won the French, his mental strength and self-belief would have been greater and he would have beaten Nadal(he was up a double break in the fifth after all).

Impossible to know.

paulfreda
09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes it was so very sad.
He had a 2 set to love lead and looked invincible.
Then there was some sort of leg injury that had him hobbling.
It was painful to watch Gaudio overtake him slowly over the next 2 hours.

I recall Coria had a strong rivalry with Nalbandian for the top spot in his country's standings and got the impression he always felt 2nd best.

He comes from a tennis family as I recall.

I hope he has found a place for himslef and peace.

grafselesfan
09-17-2009, 01:09 PM
But maybe if he had won the French, his mental strength and self-belief would have been greater and he would have beaten Nadal(he was up a double break in the fifth after all).

Impossible to know.

That was 18 year old Nadal, not even close to prime Nadal anyway. Many players also get in that position vs Nadal and still cant win, including even the great Federer who is mentally tougher than I am sure Coria ever would have been. Now as for the future competition on clay Federer was 2-0 vs prime Coria on clay and beat him on clay even in Corias best year, and Nadal is far too good for Coria on clay. Davydenko, Djokovic, Nalbandian, would have all been real threats to even a prime Coria on clay too. I am not saying they all would have been better, but they all would be threats and capable of wins and eliminations of him from clay court events. So I stand by my statement I believe he was definitely never winning the French Open after 2004 in retrospect, but still feel badly how his career went down the tubes completely in the manner it idd.

Ripster
09-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I can't watch that 2004 final. I can't recall another men's final where a player had championship points in a Grand Slam and ended up blowing the match. Another contributing factor for his decline was the shoulder surgery that completely ruined his serve. The same thing that Sharapova is going through now.

I'll never forget Coria's amazing clay court prowess. He just seemed so natural on the dirt. Going back and watching his French Open quarterfinal against Agassi in '03 and his '05 Rome battle with Nadal, I'm reminded why he will always be one of my favourite players.

luishcorreia
09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
I loved watching him play! Injuries and is mind got in the way.

Owfred
09-17-2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoR8olXKMLw

jwbarrientos
09-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Many reason was been told about Coria's down, my opinion is a combo of losts to Nadal (some amazings matches) + RG 2004 + not being able recover his competitive attitude.

I'm affraid the same could happen to Rafa.

darthpwner
09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Coria retired. Hes done

federerfanatic
09-18-2009, 03:36 AM
I found him boring. Honestly he played like a pusher, and he was a mental and physical lightweight. Some liked his game though. To each their own. I think he was lucky to peak during a very weak little clay court interim and do well there and well that was that. The guy at his peak even struggled to beat a 30 year old Tim Henman at the French, LOL!

OJ ROD
09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
I found him boring. Honestly he played like a pusher, and he was a mental and physical lightweight. Some liked his game though. To each their own. I think he was lucky to peak during a very weak little clay court interim and do well there and well that was that. The guy at his peak even struggled to beat a 30 year old Tim Henman at the French, LOL!

Step up the understanding.

Lefty78
09-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Honestly he played like a pusher

Funny, I remember him firing down the line BH winners against Agassi at RG, as if there was a yard sale on them.