PDA

View Full Version : Federer losing US Open final the best thing for tennis

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 10:20 AM
If he had won, I question his ongoing desire to compete hard in 2010-2011. With the sting of this loss, it will cause him to redouble his efforts for an even better 2010 campaign. Best thing for tennis in the end, to have a motivated Federer then a coasting one.

Satch
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM
i don't care for his desire, but it's good for tennis seeing non nadal or fed win a slam... very good.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't care that you don't like Federer, it's good for tennis that he's motivated.

HellBunni
09-17-2009, 10:41 AM
well that and that it will make this era look "stronger"
because now there are more slam winners

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
well that and that it will make this era look "stronger"
because now there are more slam winners

Ah yes maybe that will help shut up GameSampras with his "clown era" talk.

GasquetGOAT
09-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Thats a good point. Federer has this mindset that as long as he avoids Nadal in a slam final he'd always take it, no matter hard his opponent tries (see Wimby 09). Now he has more challenges other than Nadal at slam level, that should keep him motivated eventhough he could retire and be the greatest.

egn
09-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Its good because finally there is some change going on.

sureshs
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Del is my kind of player. Fed looked like a kid beside him. Sports should feature physically-superior athletes, who win mostly by brute force. That will help tennis get rid of its geeky image.

RalphNYC
09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
And it couldn't have been a better guy than Del Po. So humble, soft spoken, loves the sport. And a damn solid player who's always improving. When he returned home he was a national hero. It's a wonderful thing to spread the love. For some reason, I'm glad it wasn't Murray.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Del is my kind of player. Fed looked like a kid beside him. Sports should feature physically-superior athletes, who win mostly by brute force. That will help tennis get rid of its geeky image.

You've got to be kidding. I love tennis precisely because of great athletes that move like the wind(i.e Federer), not NFL brutes.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
And it couldn't have been a better guy than Del Po. So humble, soft spoken, loves the sport. And a damn solid player who's always improving. When he returned home he was a national hero. It's a wonderful thing to spread the love. For some reason, I'm glad it wasn't Murray.

Definitely. I get the feeling Murray would rather be doing something besides tennis. He likes the winning part, but not the process.

sureshs
09-17-2009, 11:36 AM
You've got to be kidding. I love tennis precisely because of great athletes that move like the wind(i.e Federer), not NFL brutes.

But if the NFL brutes did better at tennis too, what is wrong with that? Tennis is nice in that it is possible for the average guy to play in the club, but at the pro level it is not about that.

Del proved that if you hit the ball hard enough, no amount of tactics or elegance will help the opponent. That is how it should be.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 11:38 AM
But if the NFL brutes did better at tennis too, what is wrong with that? Tennis is nice in that it is possible for the average guy to play in the club, but at the pro level it is not about that.

Del proved that if you hit the ball hard enough, no amount of tactics or elegance will help the opponent. That is how it should be.

And still it took 45% serving by Fed to even allow DelPo the chance to win. Also not all NFL players are brutes. I loved Steve Young, that guy was a tremendous athlete and would have been a great tennis player.

sureshs
09-17-2009, 11:38 AM
And still it took 45% serving by Fed to even allow DelPo the chance to win.

What is the cause and what is the effect?

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Cause definitely. Fed's legs were tired from having to play back-to-back and he never had his serve from the start if you paid attention.

Povl Carstensen
09-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Yeah, ofcourse Del Potro hit so hard that Federer couldnt serve, he he...

sureshs
09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, ofcourse Del Potro hit so hard that Federer couldnt serve, he he...

Fed was being jerked side to side by DP's shots. Apart from the physical exhaustion this causes, there is a trauma associated with helplessly watching the ball whiz by you.

ArrowSmith
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Anyways Fed needs the rest badly now and can be his batteries recharged for an assault on the indoor campaign.

sureshs
09-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Did you notice what drew the big cheers from the crowd? The sound from DP's racquet when he hit those forehands. The commentators remarked about that. What draws cheers during a Roddick match? The aces. People want to see power, and more power. They may think that drop shots and lobs are cool, but it is not the same as a raw display of strength.

sureshs
09-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Anyways Fed needs the rest badly now and can be his batteries recharged for an assault on the indoor campaign.

No rest for Fed. He is starting the DC tie against Italy and playing all 3 days.

Satch
09-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't care that you don't like Federer, it's good for tennis that he's motivated.

where did i said that?

Fed is my favorite player of all time, i just say that it's stupid even for me to see him win 3 slams a year... period.